PDA

View Full Version : Councillor MacNab Quits

bridgeend
25-Feb-11, 08:41
Now that Cllr Macnab has announced she is to quit as a Highland councillor for Wick next week there is going to be a by election hopfully Mr Bush will not get elected if he stands for council

Walter Ego
25-Feb-11, 10:20
Now that Cllr Macnab has announced she is to quit as a Highland councillor for Wick next week there is going to be a by election hopfully Mr Bush will not get elected if he stands for council

'Hope' dosn't come into it.

Doing something about it does.

Why do you hope he doesn't get elected, Bridgend? Genuine question.

Corrie 3
25-Feb-11, 13:31
I think Mr.Bush would be good as a Councillor...Go for it Laurel!!!!

C3...;)

theone
25-Feb-11, 13:48
Unless people are prepared to stand against him, he will be on the council by default.

Lot's of talking about him, lets see some action.

Droopy
25-Feb-11, 15:15

I hope he does stand in the election of the now vacant Highland Council position...as I'll be voting for him for sure! Treat it as the protest and apathy vote all in one!

Whatever hes rightly or wrongly done in his short time on the Wick Community Council, hes definatly been a shot in the arm for the establishment! A websites been set up and his concerns regarding the sub groups have been addessed......so maybe....he wasnt so wrong after all?

Imagine him in Inverness at the full council meeting, cat among the pigeons doesnt come close! We've all had our gripes with gravy train Highland Cooncillors (not all are, and Mrs Macnab definatly not in my opinion) at some point, so heres our chance to get our own back, and maybe even get the cages rattled that have been needing rattled since years.

Go Laurel Go!

Eilanboy
25-Feb-11, 15:30
Wow Droopy you are excelling yourself now and I thought from all your previous posts that you were so clever.
Why don,t you stand and show us all how good you are not just on the Org but in real life:lol:

Droopy
25-Feb-11, 15:45
Wow Droopy you are excelling yourself now and I thought from all your previous posts that you were so clever.
Why don,t you stand and show us all how good you are not just on the Org but in real life:lol:

Good on the 'Org' why Thanks Eilanboy, glad you think so, I feel totally fulfilled now, but I know my limits and wont be standing against Mr Bush thanks! Id like to see him elected though, where as you dont, so perhaps its you that should stand....;)
Judging from your own previous posts...if Ive hit a nerve with you regarding Wick Community Council and Mr Bush, its just an observation, dont take it so hard. I think they do an excellent job.

dozy
25-Feb-11, 17:56
I was just wondering if the Councilor will reply to the questions on the CHaP/Ignis thread ??? or was it the realisation that she to had been turned over by her so called Council friends in the Great CHaP/Ignis fiasco...

Venture
25-Feb-11, 19:06
I was just wondering if the Councilor will reply to the questions on the CHaP/Ignis thread ??? or was it the realisation that she to had been turned over by her so called Council friends in the Great CHaP/Ignis fiasco...
I'm curious. What do you mean by turned over, dozy?

dozy
25-Feb-11, 20:15
I'm curious. What do you mean by turned over, dozy?

When the CHaP fiasco finally come to light and the old board duct out ,Councillors were asked to step into the breach until the Highland Council could audit the project .Councillor Macnab took a place on the new board (her words ,not mine) but the old board knew full well how bad things had got ,in fact the whole community knew.
The Highland Council gave the impression that because they had to step in ,they were without knowledge of the true damage that had be done.The original CHaP board included local Councillors that had used the World beating design to get re-elected and the council were pouring millions into it .I do think that the wrong folk have walked away ,but by saying that the way the Council cutbacks will effect Caithness it might be the smartest move ever
The article in todays paper and the comments made by Councillor G Smith makes me wonder if theres alot more to the story than what has been posted ...

gleeber
25-Feb-11, 23:50
I read Councillor Macnabs letter in the Groat and she makes some really good points about the primary schools set up and the new school and what it sould contain. I hope the the people who are so strongly against school closures and keeping the library and swimming pool open will consider what she has said because if shes right somebody elses children will have to pay the price in 15 years time.

chordie
26-Feb-11, 00:23
I read Councillor Macnabs letter in the Groat and she makes some really good points about the primary schools set up and the new school and what it sould contain. I hope the the people who are so strongly against school closures and keeping the library and swimming pool open will consider what she has said because if shes right somebody elses children will have to pay the price in 15 years time.

I would tend to agree. If the norm was that the library and swimming pool had been part of the school, and if the suggestion was now to split them onto different sites, you can be sure the same people would be up in arms at that as they are at what is proposed now.

The problem is that some people oppose change purely because it is change and balanced reasoning goes out the window.

AllanT
27-Feb-11, 21:48
I would tend to agree. If the norm was that the library and swimming pool had been part of the school, and if the suggestion was now to split them onto different sites, you can be sure the same people would be up in arms at that as they are at what is proposed now.

The problem is that some people oppose change purely because it is change and balanced reasoning goes out the window.

I would agree that Councillor MacNab makes some sensible points and she is clearly of the opinion that a new pool within the high school complex is the way forward in the longer term. The current pool whilst clearly functional is poorly laid out and costly to run. There is an opportunity with the provision of a 6 lane pool to have the best such facility in the Highlands. Parents will know of the struggle to get their children into the HC Learn to Swim programme due to long waiting lists but most modern pools come with a floating floor which enables lessons to be carried out over the whole pool so hopefully lengthy waiting lists would be a thing of the past. At the moment there is no swimming for the majority of High School pupils but again the flexibility that 6 lanes give should provide opportunities for all.
Of course there are questions to be answered about access but Community Swimming pools located at schools are becoming quite common in the UK and can surely be a success in Wick.
In my book this is to good an opportunity to miss.

theone
28-Feb-11, 00:15

You're definately right there, people fear change.

A new, purpose built library and a new pool can only be good for the town. I can't see many valid reasons to complain.

Puzzled
28-Feb-11, 11:45
There will be job losses. Less access for the public.

You're definately right there, people fear change.

A new, purpose built library and a new pool can only be good for the town. I can't see many valid reasons to complain.

GuitarHero
28-Feb-11, 13:08
Pardon me for being so blunt here but personally I don't want a lazy eyed bearded man on a push bike who sits in his flat like a hermet crab writing long, pretentious letters to the local newspapers all the time as local councillor.

benji
28-Feb-11, 21:50
well the requirements to be a Highland councilor these days seems to be:

-disregard for what your constituents want
-absolute belief that what you think is the correct thing (especially if it comes from those in Inverness)
-inability to communicate with any degree of clarity
-preparedness to represent the views of Highland council to your constituents
-preparedness not to represent the views of your constituents to the Highland council
-keeping away from your constituents as far as possible

...form an orderly line please!

Walter Ego
28-Feb-11, 22:04
Pardon me for being so blunt here but personally I don't want a lazy eyed bearded man on a push bike who sits in his flat like a hermet crab writing long, pretentious letters to the local newspapers all the time as local councillor.

Then throw your hat into the ring - or vote him out. Or become just another whinger who expects everyone else to do everything for them.........

GuitarHero
28-Feb-11, 22:44
Then throw your hat into the ring - or vote him out. Or become just another whinger who expects everyone else to do everything for them.........

I think I'll be a whinger, what I'm best at...

sweetpea
28-Feb-11, 22:48

Couldn't have put it better, mind you I couldn't do it either, I've already got a full time job so maybe Laurel Bush would be the best candidate as he doesn't.

fingalmacool
28-Feb-11, 23:24
lazy eyed bearded man

Could this bearded lazy man be,,,,,,The chosen one?:confused

theone
01-Mar-11, 00:32
well the requirements to be a Highland councilor these days seems to be:

-disregard for what your constituents want
-absolute belief that what you think is the correct thing (especially if it comes from those in Inverness)
-inability to communicate with any degree of clarity
-preparedness to represent the views of Highland council to your constituents
-preparedness not to represent the views of your constituents to the Highland council
-keeping away from your constituents as far as possible

...form an orderly line please!

I think you've fallen into the same trap that I did.

Community councillors are not to be confused with those in Highland council.

benji
02-Mar-11, 00:53
I think you've fallen into the same trap that I did.

Community councillors are not to be confused with those in Highland council.

..not according to this link:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/councillorscontactdetails/ward03/ward-03d.htm

theone
02-Mar-11, 01:12
..not according to this link:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/councillorscontactdetails/ward03/ward-03d.htm

Norseman set me right on this thread: http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?130782-Wick-Community-Council/page2

It shows how much you all now about community councils.

1 They are not paid they are all volunteers (Neither do they get expenses)
2 They only have elections if enough people stand in both Wick & Thursos case not enough people stood in the first instance to create a council and in the second instance to have an election so all those that put their name forward were automatically elected.
3 The various sub groups of Wick CC contiually struggle to get anyone to volunteer this has been reported in the papers many times if they all withdrew Wick would have no Xmas Lights, No Hogmany Street Party, No Flowers in the town centre, no maintenance of the Riverside and South Head footpaths.

Is this really what you all want if anyone wants to be part of any of these groups then they are desperate for new members who will actually do some of the hard work not criticise what they do