PDA

View Full Version : Another mystery object for you

badger
24-Feb-11, 21:48
Some time ago I posted pics. of an item in Homeaid Thurso shop as they didn't know what it was and of course heaps of orgers did so now I have another one, this time in Homeaid Wick. They have it on the counter with a note asking if anyone knows what it is. Pics. attached.

Kenn
24-Feb-11, 22:08
As there is nothing to give a scale of the objects, I would think that they are candle sticks, have seen similar but can't think in which shop.

joxville
24-Feb-11, 22:35
I do believe they were used by a man with a pointy stick, he needed somewhere to keep the eyes he had out. :D

changilass
24-Feb-11, 22:43
Turn then upside down and they could be wine bottle stands.:D

bekisman
24-Feb-11, 23:36
For four quid, that's not bad..

donss
24-Feb-11, 23:52
considering that no ones seems to know what they are: I doubt they'll sell.....

ducati
24-Feb-11, 23:53
Hi Beks, see if they have 'em in Tesco cheaper before you commit ;)

Candle sticks BTW

golach
24-Feb-11, 23:58
Will have a look in TK Max, Sainsburys, Asda and Morrisons for you, they may be cheaper there [lol]

bekisman
25-Feb-11, 00:07
Hi Beks, see if they have 'em in Tesco cheaper before you commit ;)

Candle sticks BTW

Nah, Tesco is fantastic, but doubt they can even approach that price.

bekisman
25-Feb-11, 00:08
Will have a look in TK Max, Sainsburys, Asda and Morrisons for you, they may be cheaper there [lol]
Don't bother with TK Max, it's all returned rubbish there; stick with the quality places

badger
25-Feb-11, 10:58
Thanks everyone. Most disappointing, thought someone would be sure to know. We did wonder about candlesticks but the holes seem to be wrong size - too small for normal candles and too big for birthday type.

However ..... had a v. interesting PM from an orger in Canada which I'm not going to tell you about yet.

gleeber
25-Feb-11, 11:11
Thanks everyone. Most disappointing, thought someone would be sure to know. We did wonder about candlesticks but the holes seem to be wrong size - too small for normal candles and too big for birthday type.

However ..... had a v. interesting PM from an orger in Canada which I'm not going to tell you about yet.
Come on now Badger, Half a story and we're bound to fill in thr spaces. Sandy sent you a PM and told you it's masonic. No secret in that. [lol]

badger
25-Feb-11, 14:43
OK - PM from Canada said they'd seen on ebay but couldn't send link. I couldn't find searching so was waiting to see if they could send link - which they did. Seems they are candlesticks after all; funny size candles, would need to be quite slim. Decided now I might buy them after all if they're still there and the shop hasn't been invaded by eager buyers.

So, sorry it wasn't anything more exciting but, as always, the .org had the answer. (I still haven't worked out how to insert smilies on this new .org except in PMs)

Ricco
25-Feb-11, 16:01
So, sorry it wasn't anything more exciting but, as always, the .org had the answer. (I still haven't worked out how to insert smilies on this new .org except in PMs)

Badger - when you are doing your post, go to 'Go Advanced' - the smilies are in there. :D

highlandglen
25-Feb-11, 17:11
look like connecting joints for a chrome display stand for shops etc.

sintra307
25-Feb-11, 17:52
they are nagel candlesticks and worth a few quid.

badger
25-Feb-11, 18:07
they are nagel candlesticks and worth a few quid.

Wanted to phone the shop this afternoon but couldn't so will try again tomorrow. Think they should be asking more so hope they haven't gone.

badger
25-Feb-11, 18:10
Badger - when you are doing your post, go to 'Go Advanced' - the smilies are in there. :D

Thanks for that - didn't know what it meant :roll:

bekisman
25-Feb-11, 18:17
No one listened to my posting #5 ("For four quid, that's not bad.".) just seen on ebay for $119.. get in there Badger!

canuck
25-Feb-11, 20:15
Maybe they are North American, because I certainly recognize them as candle holders.
But they look like something that could be from IKEA.

pat
25-Feb-11, 20:29
Now you have found what they are Badger are you now going to pay a price higher than the £4 - or are you going to pay a much donation now you know what they are and the value?

gunnlass
25-Feb-11, 23:19
http://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMF-NAGEL-Modernist-12-Candlesticks-STAND-1960-Candle-/250766744670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_5926wt_1233 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMF-NAGEL-Modernist-12-Candlesticks-STAND-1960-Candle-/250766744670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_5926wt_1233)

Fran
25-Feb-11, 23:54
I have these. they are long candles sticks and you can rearrange them to different displays. Looks lovely lit.

badger
26-Feb-11, 10:55
Now you have found what they are Badger are you now going to pay a price higher than the £4 - or are you going to pay a much donation now you know what they are and the value?

Because I've been carrying on a PM conversation with the orger who first identified them, or at least found on ebay, I'd forgotten what I'd said where. I had already decided if I did buy them I would pay more. It's one thing to get a bargain in a charity shop but this would feel like defrauding them. Phoned them first thing this morning as suddenly remembered they are having a "make an offer" day and thought it would be a shame to let them go for much less than they're worth.

Don't think I'm going to buy them even though they are beautiful. I'm past wanting "things" - got more than enough now. Shop manager is very grateful for your help, so thanks orgers.

pat
26-Feb-11, 21:26
At least the shop now knows they can get a good price for them after all the bother you went posting them on here.
Agree with you about not wanting to collect any more "things" - need to have a really good clear out very very soon, garage overflowing.
Glad to see you would have paid a bit more than the £4 they were charging too.
Reminds me, must go to clean out a double oven as the local hospice shop are coming to uplift it - thought there was something wrong with it, bought a new one, chap came to install new one and fixed the problem, the door required tightening!

Dadie
27-Feb-11, 01:31
Pat the oven cleaner I bought from the "99p shop" for £2+ was just as good as the oven pride stuff I bought for £9.99 elsewhere but it needed a good hour more to work its magic!
Did an comparism check on my double oven using both sides to compare results!

badger
05-Mar-11, 22:37
Thought you might like to know that in the end I succombed as I just couldn't resist. Shop kindly offered them to me for £10 less than they were asking but I couldn't do that as it was fun finding out, so we split the difference and now somebody is going to have to give them to me for my birthday. Haven't told them that yet ;) .