PDA

View Full Version : Wick Community Council Website

AfternoonDelight
23-Feb-11, 23:54
Wick Community Council now has an official website which can be found at -

www.spanglefish.com/wickcommunitycouncil (http://www.spanglefish.com/wickcommunitycouncil)

This has been set up and will be managed by the community council secretary who has quite a big time constraint due to other commitments, a nine month old baby and a job so go easy.

It's for the community so any constructive feedback you have will be considered, links, news stories that are relevant etc. There is also a comments page where you can leave questions that can be put forward at the meetings and we will try our best to direct them to the relevant people.

Please note that some details (contact etc) are still in the process of being gathered, there is no attempt to hide anything, just waiting on other people who are also very busy.

I really do hope we have the full support of the community on this. Until recently all community councillors were doing what they do to help Wick and it's people live in a decent, safe town with good, clean facilities. We don't have an alternative agenda, we have nothing to hide. We need the support of the people so we can keep doing what we have done for many years and hope to continue to do for many to come.

Thank you for your understanding.

torisdale
24-Feb-11, 00:36
Surely a proper domain can be purchased?

chordie
24-Feb-11, 00:39

I thought they already had...
www.spanglefish.com/laurelbush

:D

Even Chance
24-Feb-11, 12:16
I see from Bush's website that he has "assisted" in setting the WCC website up. He then goes and criticises their new site! What a guy! Does he want to run everything by himself??

Well done Mrs Ross for setting the site up. It looks good so far.

AfternoonDelight
24-Feb-11, 22:04
I would like to make it clear that Laurel Bush did nothing to set up the website apart from recommending the spanglefish site. He has no access to it and contributed nothing to the content.

I think that most members of the public would prefer community council funds to be spent on things that benefit the town. I know the website is a benefit (at least I hope so) but surely it's better doing it for free where we can. Thanks for the feedback though.

Even Chance
25-Feb-11, 09:09
Yer doin everything right. Its a cracking site, and the information is now available for the whole world to see if they so desire. Now thats transparency!!

Keep up e good work!

sparky
25-Feb-11, 17:45
Whilst I find the new website is good at providing information I am totally disgusted that the Wick Community Council should criticise a local hotelier for giving money to good causes.

"
11. Christmas Lights

Thanks were given to the Christmas Lights Committee for the recent funday and the switching on of the lights in Wick town centre. Criticism was given to North of Scotland Newspapers (NOSN) for their front page story about local hotelier Murray Lamont and the fact that he has only contributed to the lights on one occasion when other organisations give generously."

It should not concern the council how often people give to their cause, they should be thankful for any donation, but to go on and minute the criticism discussed at their meeting is just beyond belief.

Metalattakk
25-Feb-11, 17:55
The criticism is directed at NOSN, not Murray Lamont.

Jebus, can people not read any more? :roll:

RecQuery
25-Feb-11, 17:56

+1000 - exactly what first came to my mind, hardly professional. I imagine it'll be sporadically updated for about a month and then ignore, that's what happens with most of these things.

sparky
25-Feb-11, 18:02
Here is a link to the NOSN story there is no mention in the story of only contributing once.
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8957/Cash_giveaway_brings_festive_cheer.html

Metalattakk
25-Feb-11, 18:16
Here is a link to the NOSN story there is no mention in the story of only contributing once.
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8957/Cash_giveaway_brings_festive_cheer.html

So what? They're still only criticising NOSN.

So someone mentions that he's only contributed once while others have contributed many times and therefore perhaps deserve the coverage more, and you take that as an insult? Some people are really touchy, eh?

Alice in Blunderland
25-Feb-11, 18:45
I think that the Community council are damned in what they do and damned in what they don't at times.

For giving up their time and trying to make improvements in the area they should be applauded not lambasted as is happening. They are HUMAN we all make mistakes we all could do things different but they ARE going out on a regular basis,unpaid, giving up their free time for what ? To be lampooned by the few who have to pull apart every little movement and action that they have done from the comfort of their chair and computer.

Its a shame to see people trying to do good being slagged off because some , no matter how much they see folks trying to do their best think they should have done better !

The elections are October/ November and I expect to see many people (who are so concerned about the current Council members trying to do this job) putting their names forward and raising their erses in the air for fellow armchair critics to kick. ;)

Droopy
25-Feb-11, 22:58
Whilst I find the new website is good at providing information I am totally disgusted that the Wick Community Council should criticise a local hotelier for giving money to good causes.

"
11. Christmas Lights

Thanks were given to the Christmas Lights Committee for the recent funday and the switching on of the lights in Wick town centre. Criticism was given to North of Scotland Newspapers (NOSN) for their front page story about local hotelier Murray Lamont and the fact that he has only contributed to the lights on one occasion when other organisations give generously."

This is an absolutly crazy minute to record and be favourably recognised by the Wick Community Council, (Laurel is gaining more credability by the minute). Its not all about who gets thier picture in the paper is it? Id say he was adding a bit of xmas cheer to the day, surely the hotelier can spend his money as he wishes, or is he duty bound to give it to the xmas lights committee.

The Mackays Hotel, like it or not, is a gateway to the decision making 'men in suits' and I think you'll find that the owners contribute far more to Wick's (and Caithness's) wellbeing than they seek credit for.

secrets in symmetry
25-Feb-11, 23:17
Laurel is gaining more credability by the minuteRight enough.

From his Spangly aquatic spout about Fairy magic (http://spanglefish.com/laurelbush/index.asp?pageid=281427)

Elements of fairyology

All earthly beings, whether dead or alive, human or other animal, plant, fungi, or whatever, are fairy beings with earthly dimensions, and other astronomical worlds, within or without our own solar system, will have similar fairy beings of their own

There may also be fairy beings without dimensions in astronomical worlds

Deities - God, gods and goddesses - whether with or without astronomical dimensions - may be powerful fairy magnates, and often ogres, but they are as fairy as any elf or goblin

That's enough to turn the toughest soldier of God into an agnostic.

He's not alone though. He would be in good company on some threads on this forum.

Duncansby
25-Feb-11, 23:41

Are you sure that's the story referred to? There's no mention of lights either...

chordie
26-Feb-11, 00:29
From his Spangly aquatic spout about Fairy magic [/URL]

Which is a bit rich from someone who worships the 'secrets of symmetry'.

dunbrake
26-Feb-11, 12:48
+1000 - exactly what first came to my mind, hardly professional. I imagine it'll be sporadically updated for about a month and then ignore, that's what happens with most of these things.

RecQuery, maybe it is not a professional website, but they would be blasted if they spent public money on that, at least it's keeping people informed. Did you read the original post from Afternoon Delight about her having other commitments, maybe you should offer some of your FREE time to make sure the website is kept updated, I'm sure she would be glad of the help.

bridgeend
26-Feb-11, 12:54
RecQuery, maybe it is not a professional website, but they would be blasted if they spent public money on that, at least it's keeping people informed. Did you read the original post from Afternoon Delight about her having other commitments, maybe you should offer some of your FREE time to make sure the website is kept updated, I'm sure she would be glad of the help.

Well said and so true !

secrets in symmetry
26-Feb-11, 13:35
RecQuery, maybe it is not a professional website, but they would be blasted if they spent public money on that, at least it's keeping people informed. Did you read the original post from Afternoon Delight about her having other commitments, maybe you should offer some of your FREE time to make sure the website is kept updated, I'm sure she would be glad of the help.I thought it was a pretty good website. Afternoon Delight should be congratulated for her efforts and for her professionalism in dealing with annoying nit pickers.

dunbrake
26-Feb-11, 15:45
I thought it was a pretty good website. Afternoon Delight should be congratulated for her efforts and for her professionalism in dealing with annoying nit pickers.

Well said, I also thought it was a good website, very easy to use, it must have taken a lot of time to input all the information that is there. WELL DONE Afternoon Delight.

EDDIE
27-Feb-11, 08:48
I would like to make it clear that Laurel Bush did nothing to set up the website apart from recommending the spanglefish site. He has no access to it and contributed nothing to the content.

I think that most members of the public would prefer community council funds to be spent on things that benefit the town. I know the website is a benefit (at least I hope so) but surely it's better doing it for free where we can. Thanks for the feedback though.

The minute anyone looks at any domain that start of www,spanglefish whos going to take that serousily u would be better of getting a proper domain name and do it right if ure going to be updating the website regular what would be abou t £30 for 2 years for domain name its not lot really is it.
But it is a nice looking website you should try and get a message board attatched to it so people interested in the council can talk back and fore like here for example
Imagine if the bbc news website starts of www.spanglefish/bbcnews.com you would immedialty doubt the content for being accurate and true do u see what im getting at?