PDA

View Full Version : Babywearing parents

macgee
23-Feb-11, 13:17
Hi all, I'm just testing the waters here. I'm not sure if there many babywearing folk up here but I'm sure there are some lurking around :lol:. Would anybody be interested in a slingmeet in Thurso if I organised one. It would be to compare, swap and just chat about babywearing and of course have coffee and cake.:)

AliciaMackinnon
23-Feb-11, 13:31
what is babywearing?

thanks

macgee
23-Feb-11, 13:37
Carrying your little one in a sling,wrap or anything at all. I can PM you with more info and web links if you want? :)

AliciaMackinnon
23-Feb-11, 13:42
lol I tried that but my daughter is way too heavy

lol thanks

macgee
23-Feb-11, 14:15
Babywearing folk as in babywearing mams, dads or anyone else. Didn't mean to upset or insult Chordie as I'm a babywearing mama

Julia
23-Feb-11, 16:12
I bought a Wallaboo sling for my 4 wk old son but he didn't look comfy in it at all, I'd like a sling but not sure which is best, what would you recommend?

Vistravi
23-Feb-11, 16:29
Had a sling but i sold it. Went for a baby carrier but now he's far too heavy for my bad back.

Once you have one thats good i think its a good thing. Keeps baby nice and close to you and you can get in small spaces such as the orginal factory shop in thurso centre. Even with my small car buggy i struggle in there.

billmoseley
23-Feb-11, 16:51
thought i was gonna have to slip inot a nappy and baby grow and look out my dummy to join this group. phew thank goodness i was wrong lololol

macgee
23-Feb-11, 17:52
Lol to above :lol:.
Babywearing is great once you get the right sling (as you said Vistari) for both you and baby. When you have the right sling and are wearing it correctly the weight should be evenly distributed so should cause no discomfort. I love the Mei Tie type, these are Asian style carriers and very comfy, great for wearing for long periods of time. There are alot of different ones out there. I also enjoy wearing a wrap which is a long piece of fabric which you tie in certain ways to carry the baby. Its easy once you get a hang of it and you can also wear this type all day so you can pop your baby in and out of it. Again there is a whole load of different ones to choose from. Another type is a ring sling, I have never tried one but have just ordered one to give it a go. This type might not be so good as it is worn on one shoulder so the weight is not evenly distributed. They are good for carrying your wee one for a short time and for popping them in and out.
Feel free to PM me if your wanting anymore advice as this is very general. Also the forum on this site is a great for advice and help http://www.naturalmamas.co.uk
P.S Buying slings and babywearing can become very addictive :lol:

macgee
23-Feb-11, 17:53
Also Vistravi, I know what you mean about the Factory Shop!!!

Vistravi
23-Feb-11, 19:26
Also Vistravi, I know what you mean about the Factory Shop!!!

If i go upstairs i tend to leave the buggy downstairs and carry my son up.

fee
23-Feb-11, 20:04
count me in, my little one is 9 months now but in those first couple of month and also having a toddler, if i didnt use my sling i would never have got anything done lol and its great for discreetly breastfeeding too.

Red
23-Feb-11, 20:57
I love the Kari-me sling similar to a moby wrap - it was a bit fiddly to start with but fantastic for use from birth up until toddlerhood, you can wear your baby on both front and back and on your hip. I've even been up hills wearing my son, because the child is so close to you with a wrap type sling the weight is spread around your back and shoulders and bears down perfectly on your legs so you shouldn't notice any back pain unlike other carriers.

I did try a ring sling but being a bit on the short side it didn't work for me.

macgee
28-Feb-11, 14:18
Bump bump :D

charlie
28-Feb-11, 14:30
Bump bump :D

Was that the bairn falling out of the sling :lol: ?