PDA

View Full Version : The Hills Have Eyes

percy toboggan
27-Aug-06, 18:44
I saw the original film back in the late seventies. I never forgot it. It was so violent, so surprisingly violent. I've seen a handful pf other movies of similar gore-rating but they've slipped into my sub-consciousness. This one didn't. I dunno, maybe it was the cannibalism - always a wake up call.

What I'm trying to say is I'm not a lover of violent horror, but this one somehow succeeded with me.
Anyway this weekend we finally got around to renting the dvd of the re-make. I seledom rent, but now I want my own copy of this film.

Maybe it was the old semi-derelict gas station that set the scene - I like those, kind of an abandoned route 66 time has past it by kind of place.Or perhaps the fantastic art-deco 'jetstream' trailer (caravan), an aluminium looking exterior designed to bake in the heat if the air-con packed up - and it does.

This was one seriously, horribly violent film. I do not normaly like violence, who, with a brain does? Not me.

Well made though, with unknown actors - almost - the strength of this movie is that it is almost believable. A community of miners ordered off their land in the nineteen fifties refuse to budge and retreat underground while the U.S. Government carries out nuclear testing above them. Results include terribly mutated bodies, with big heads, oversized brains and teeth to give even the most fee conscious dentist a nightmare ! 'Orthodontics-R- us' would be rubbing their hands !

Their bodies are bent and twisted but their brains are still sharp. Sharp enough to resent incomers to their territory. Into which stumbles a family of quite likeable Yanks. I wont go any any further but this was the best film I've seen in two months, and I watch about three a month. We also rented the Johnny Cash bio-pic 'Walk the Line' but that was a bit turgid towards the end, great acting and good music, Johnny Cash though seemed a weak character, and I really can't be doing with drugs.

Hills Have Eyes on the other hand, the one with twisted mutant fingers, was darn good and I recommend it to any one with a strong stomach. Drenched in blood the action is only watchable because you want good to triumph.The DVD carries a lots of extras which I need to get hold of soon - ebay here I come.You need to be 18 to watch this by the way.

MadPict
27-Aug-06, 19:36
They are "Airstream trailers" (http://www.airstream.com/)...

I love them - don't know if it is the use of WWII aircraft building techniques they originally employed or just the look of them....gorgeous.... (http://www.airstream.com/product_line/travel_trailers/classic_home.html)

Sorry, back on topic....:D