PDA

View Full Version : First post

Lucky lass
21-Feb-11, 21:02
Hi there orgers

My first post and I'm after a favour!!
Does anyone out there know anyone who knows anything about washing machines?
Mine is rattling very loudly!! Sounds like there is something between the drum and the casing - but how do we check or who do we ask??

Any ideas??
:eek:

unicorn
21-Feb-11, 21:24
Take a careful look in the drum to see if maybe an underwire from a bra is stuck.

Kodiak
21-Feb-11, 21:41
Check out Caithness Appliances, click link below, and Welcome :D

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=1464

http://i49.tinypic.com/9ztts0.jpg

Phill
21-Feb-11, 22:04
Hello and welcome to planet org!

If yer can get to it, take the lid off. Normally a couple of screws at the back and it'll lift off, make sure you unplug it first though.
You should be able to see if anything is amiss inside, like a spring loose or such.

northener
21-Feb-11, 22:19
Do a quick headcount of any kids you may own.

If there's one that's been missing for more than an hour or so, it maybe wise to call in the Fire Brigade.

HTH.:Razz

Vistravi
22-Feb-11, 00:31
Take a careful look in the drum to see if maybe an underwire from a bra is stuck.

Or a key! My sister lost her keys and turned up in the washing machine ha ha lol.

Lucky lass
22-Feb-11, 13:41
Thanks for all the suggestions so far...

Felt all around inside of drum - no wires or any other objects stuck in holes.
Had lid off, back off, hoses off but can find nothing.
There does not seem to be any excess play in the drum either!

Really does sound like something "thumping" around as the drum turns.
Have e-mailed Caithness Appliances but any and all ideas welcome!!

Thumper
22-Feb-11, 13:47
could be that the brushes have gone in it,it usually makes a clattering,thumping kinda noise x

Ricco
22-Feb-11, 14:49
Welcome to the org. Good luck with the machine. Ours gives off smells all the time even though its been bleached, dettol'd, super-washed, etc.

orkneycadian
22-Feb-11, 14:57
could be that the brushes have gone in it,it usually makes a clattering,thumping kinda noise x

Dont be daft.... Brushes going or gone, does not make a thumping, clattering noise.... Opposite in fact, usually dead to the world!

Bearings going / gone are far more likely to make thumping / clattering sounds, but the original poster suggested rattling. Duff bearings are by no means the only sources of "thumping / clattering", but are one potential, especially if coupled with grease marks on washed clothing. (that weren't on the clothing when you put it in!)

Bazeye
22-Feb-11, 20:57
Welcome to the org. Good luck with the machine. Ours gives off smells all the time even though its been bleached, dettol'd, super-washed, etc.

Dont wear your socks for a fortnight before washing them.

Thumper
23-Feb-11, 08:40
Dont be daft.... Brushes going or gone, does not make a thumping, clattering noise.... Opposite in fact, usually dead to the world!

Bearings going / gone are far more likely to make thumping / clattering sounds, but the original poster suggested rattling. Duff bearings are by no means the only sources of "thumping / clattering", but are one potential, especially if coupled with grease marks on washed clothing. (that weren't on the clothing when you put it in!)

Ooops sorry....thats what i was told by my washing machine engineer the 5 times he was out for clattering,thumping noises,so I was only saying what a professional told me x