PDA

View Full Version : Scotland's Census 2011 TO COST £65 Million

equusdriving
21-Feb-11, 19:23
Surely there are far better uses for this amount of Taxpayers Money!!!!!!

Garnet
21-Feb-11, 20:29
yes.....dozens...where shall I start!!!! too numerous to mention!

Kodiak
21-Feb-11, 21:49
OK we will not get the benefit of the census, but in 100 years time when the information is released it will make all your Decendants happy especially if they are doing the Family Tree.

I am looking forward to the official release of the 1911 Census as I am needing information from it. Wont be long now though. :D

ducati
21-Feb-11, 21:51

Mmm £13 each

Garnet
21-Feb-11, 22:42
it seems (according to the news) there may be no more......next will be the last!!!

neepnipper
21-Feb-11, 23:03
OK we will not get the benefit of the census, but in 100 years time when the information is released it will make all your Ancestors happy especially if they are doing the Family Tree.

I am looking forward to the official release of the 1911 Census as I am needing information from it. Wont be long now though. :D

It has been released, at least the English 1911 census has, not sure about the Scottish.

_Ju_
21-Feb-11, 23:48

Yes: keep our schools!

ducati
21-Feb-11, 23:51
Hey just realised, that's more than the Parliament building cost!

bekisman
22-Feb-11, 00:19
I might have missed something, but Initially thought likely to cost around £50m, it ended up costing £414m?

The Music Monster
22-Feb-11, 00:26
I heard a rumour that an American company was collating the information - I don't know how true this is; but surely we should be trying to put the work (and hence money) back into our own economy in an economical clime like this.

equusdriving
22-Feb-11, 00:37
I might have missed something, but Initially thought likely to cost around £50m, it ended up costing £414m?

The higher amount mentioned is the cost of the UK Census but the Scottish census is £65m

golach
22-Feb-11, 00:44
Hey just realised, that's more than the Parliament building cost!

Holyrood cost 400 million plus

theone
22-Feb-11, 08:51
I can see why people might think this is a waste of money, especially when schools are being shut.

But I also think the census is vital as a tool for understanding the demographics of our country. The trends recorded may well be used to influence future government policies.

ducati
22-Feb-11, 09:22
Holyrood cost 400 million plus

Yes, I thought I had deleted that post. Original costing was £45 million

Kodiak
22-Feb-11, 12:20
It has been released, at least the English 1911 census has, not sure about the Scottish.

I know the English Census has been released but I was not talking about the English Census.

The Scottish Census for 1911 has not been released as yet and I am waiting for it to be released. The last I heard it will be released sometime in the Summer of this year, perhaps June or July.

theone
22-Feb-11, 13:04
I heard a rumour that an American company was collating the information - I don't know how true this is; but surely we should be trying to put the work (and hence money) back into our own economy in an economical clime like this.

I would agree with that in principle.

But, on the other hand, the government has a responsibility to spend money giving the contract to whoever can provide the best service at the best price.

I suppose they can't win either way!

Kodiak
22-Feb-11, 13:23
I do not know if it is an American Company or not, but whoever it is they will have to hire Local people. They will be required to go around and collect the Census Forms and to give advice on the correct way to fill them in. So that in itself will be putting money back into all local areas in the UK.

orkneycadian
22-Feb-11, 15:13
Surely in this day and age, they could put a webpage together for a few grand then get as much of the population as possible to do it online. For those that can't / won't, get a script monkey in a call centre (preferably in the UK) to phone them up and ask the questions. Only if that fails, send a enumerator round with a laptop to help them.

I'm sure even Surveymonkey.com could do it for a lot less than £65 million!

Eilanboy
22-Feb-11, 15:44
Surely in this day and age, they could put a webpage together for a few grand then get as much of the population as possible to do it online. For those that can't / won't, get a script monkey in a call centre (preferably in the UK) to phone them up and ask the questions. Only if that fails, send a enumerator round with a laptop to help them.

People will be given the choice this year to complete it online

ciderally
22-Feb-11, 19:14
27th march day of the cencus this year

Bazeye
22-Feb-11, 20:47
But I also think the census is vital as a tool for understanding the demographics of our country. .

Dont need a census for that, just walk down any high street in many towns and cities.

Blazing Sporrans
22-Feb-11, 22:19
I can see why people might think this is a waste of money, especially when schools are being shut.

But I also think the census is vital as a tool for understanding the demographics of our country. The trends recorded may well be used to influence future government policies.
It would be nice to think so but it's difficult to associate our parliamentarians with anything remotely resembling common sense :(

Metalattakk
23-Feb-11, 05:39
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files2/the-census/scotlands-census-2011-specimen-questionnaire.pdf

So why do they need to know what type of central heating we have, or how we travel to work? Or even how our general health is.

And why the hell do they need to know who we have as "overnight guests"?

Personal Nuclear Fission Reactor.
Magic Carpet.
"Hmmph, my health is not in question."
Hosni Mubarak, Gillian McKeith and Noel Edmonds. And the Chuckle Bros were serving aperitifs.

Honestly. How much spin are they going to be able to create with all this information? :eek:

theone
23-Feb-11, 07:24
Dont need a census for that, just walk down any high street in many towns and cities.

That wouldn't give you true figures though.

And you can't tell someones religion by looking at them.

theone
23-Feb-11, 07:29
So why do they need to know what type of central heating we have, or how we travel to work? Or even how our general health is.

And why the hell do they need to know who we have as "overnight guests"?

Honestly. How much spin are they going to be able to create with all this information? :eek:

I can understand the cynicism.

But, the central heating issue will show how we, as a nation, rely on different fuels. Knowing the health of the nation surely also has value.

As for who are the guests staying, that's just to ensure they've got data on everyone and haven't missed them out. The data would be invalid and surely worthless if it didn't include info on the chuckle bros.

RecQuery
23-Feb-11, 09:23
It's a useful thing but you have to be careful. Census data is used in multiple things to allocated funding and design programmes etc. You need to be careful not to give away too much but it's hardly a waste of money.

Quick tip when the percentage of total money spent is insignificant they usually quote a specific number to make it seem more.

Kodiak
23-Feb-11, 13:08

No they can not do that.

The whole idea of the Census is that the form is filled by everyone one the same date and at the place where you are on that date. To make sure that this is done correctly it has to be picked up from each and every address.

So if you are on holiday in Blackpool in a Hotel then you would need to fill in the form in the Hotel and you would be registered as on Holiday.

If it was done online you could say you were anywhere you fancy and the results would not be valid and therefore the Census would be a complete waste of money.

oldmarine
23-Feb-11, 21:12
I know the English Census has been released but I was not talking about the English Census.

The Scottish Census for 1911 has not been released as yet and I am waiting for it to be released. The last I heard it will be released sometime in the Summer of this year, perhaps June or July.

If the Scottish Census for 1911 has not been released, what are people getting so excited about? Also, I read something on this thread about an American company getting involved. I find that difficult to understand or believe. America has no business with getting involved in Scottish affairs.

sweetpea
23-Feb-11, 22:28
It's a total waste of money if it's true that's what it costs, but having said that, this will be the first time I filled out a census and I'm quite curious what they want to know but heard it's about 50 pages long! Also I don't get why they keep it all confidential for 100 years?

theone
24-Feb-11, 07:00
America has no business with getting involved in Scottish affairs.

I don't think it is "America" getting involved old marine, just an American business winning a contract. The ins and outs of the census will be decided by the Scottish government, the American company will just do the analysis requested.

barmar62
24-Feb-11, 20:22
You have a choice, (maybe not one you want to make) :)

Bazeye
24-Feb-11, 20:33
That wouldn't give you true figures though.

And you can't tell someones religion by looking at them.

Answering the Religion question is one of the few, if not the only question, you dont have to answer, so that doesnt give you the true figure either.

Bazeye
24-Feb-11, 20:37
If you dont want your business known just put any answer down as long as its not that far fetched to be an obvious lie. Lets face it theyre hardly likely to check up on you.

bekisman
24-Feb-11, 20:57
If the Scottish Census for 1911 has not been released, what are people getting so excited about? Also, I read something on this thread about an American company getting involved. I find that difficult to understand or believe. America has no business with getting involved in Scottish affairs.

Happens everywhere oldmarine: 'In Chicago, the person in charge of the tallying of the votes was a British employee of Sequoia named David Allen from London..'

http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/chicago_ballot_chaos.html (http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/chicago_ballot_chaos.html)

chordie
24-Feb-11, 21:00
I don't think it is "America" getting involved old marine, just an American business winning a contract. The ins and outs of the census will be decided by the Scottish government, the American company will just do the analysis requested.

It's Lockheed-Martin who have the contract to process the census data. That's Lockheen-Martin, the US arms company who make cluster bombs and trident nuclear missiles.

theone
24-Feb-11, 21:05
Answering the Religion question is one of the few, if not the only question, you dont have to answer, so that doesnt give you the true figure either.

Yes, but I still think it gives us a better idea than any highstreet survey or newspaper poll.

Bazeye
24-Feb-11, 21:06
In 2001 3m people in the UK did not return a completed census questionnaire. Fewer than 100 were prosecuted. Thats not including the illegals who obviously dont fill one in either.

barmar62
24-Feb-11, 21:06
Big brother (usa) watching us ( I mean you ) then!

theone
24-Feb-11, 21:07
It's Lockheed-Martin who have the contract to process the census data. That's Lockheen-Martin, the US arms company who make cluster bombs and trident nuclear missiles.

Exactly. An American company, not "America".

If they can provide the best service, in the most cost effective way, the Scottish government have a duty to use them.

theone
24-Feb-11, 21:08
In 2001 3m people in the UK did not return a completed census questionnaire. Fewer than 100 were prosecuted. Thats not including the illegals who obviously dont fill one in either.

That's quite a statistic.

I never realised it was so high.

chordie
24-Feb-11, 21:15
If they can provide the best service, in the most cost effective way, the Scottish government have a duty to use them.

Just like how the Nazi's used IBM to process their data on Jews.

bekisman
24-Feb-11, 21:23

Ahhh; Stavro / Pegasus is back! :(

bekisman
24-Feb-11, 21:26

I'm sure it's Stav!!!!

theone
25-Feb-11, 07:35

I don't understand your point.

Are you suggesting that IBM killed the Jews?

Ignoring the fact that that is nonsense, what's it got to do with the Scottish census?

I used a Casio calculator in my higher maths exam. Are you suggesting that Casio passed the exam, not me?

redeyedtreefrog
25-Feb-11, 18:00
Put your religion as 'Jedi', it'll be good to see if we can get more than the 400,000 that did it in 2001.

susan.leith
25-Feb-11, 18:15
[QUOTE=Kodiak;822495]I know the English Census has been released but I was not talking about the English Census.

1911 Census

The Registrar General for Scotland has announced that the 1911 census will be released on www.ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk on Tuesday 5 April 2011.

Bazeye
25-Feb-11, 20:31
Put your religion as 'Jedi', it'll be good to see if we can get more than the 400,000 that did it in 2001.

And the fact that none have been prosecuted indicates to me you can put anything down.

chordie
26-Feb-11, 00:35
I don't understand your point.

Are you suggesting that IBM killed the Jews?

Ignoring the fact that that is nonsense, what's it got to do with the Scottish census?

Have a Book At Bedtime:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/IBM-Holocaust-Strategic-Alliance-Corporation/dp/0914153102

redeyedtreefrog
26-Feb-11, 01:32
And the fact that none have been prosecuted indicates to me you can put anything down.

You can put anything down, you can only be prosecuted for failing to fill the form in.

Metalattakk
26-Feb-11, 03:06
You can put anything down, you can only be prosecuted for failing to fill the form in.

There were only 38 successful prosecutions (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/noncompliancees.asp#cases) (in England & Wales) for non-compliance of the 2001 census, with fines issued in the region of £35 to £500 plus costs.

In Scotland, there was only 3 successful prosecutions (http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files1/stats/cenop.pdf). (PDF download, section 2.6.)

theone
26-Feb-11, 12:03
Have a Book At Bedtime:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/IBM-Holocaust-Strategic-Alliance-Corporation/dp/0914153102

Ok, but until I read the book I can't comment.

In the meantime, what's it got to do with the Scottish Census?

chordie
26-Feb-11, 12:14
In the meantime, what's it got to do with the Scottish Census?

It is possible to award/accept business on moral and ethical grounds as well as on cost and quality. IBM worked hand in glove with the Nazis in helping them 'process' Jews and support genocide - they could have said no. Likewise, those awarding the contract for census data processing could say 'no' to a business that actively supports genocide.

theone
26-Feb-11, 12:37
It is possible to award/accept business on moral and ethical grounds as well as on cost and quality. IBM worked hand in glove with the Nazis in helping them 'process' Jews and support genocide - they could have said no. Likewise, those awarding the contract for census data processing could say 'no' to a business that actively supports genocide.

Ok, I see where you're coming from.

Do you hold the same views on the major British defence contractors? BAE systems etc?

chordie
26-Feb-11, 12:44
Ok, I see where you're coming from.

Do you hold the same views on the major British defence contractors? BAE systems etc?

By 'defence contractor' I assume you mean 'weapons manufacturer'.

As regards the census data processing, we're constantly told that we have wonderful software / IT / knowledge economy in Scotland. So is it really beyond our capabilities to find a company who is capable of sticking confidential data from a couple of million forms into a database and running some reports on it? However does the world of business manage to run a payroll every month?

theone
26-Feb-11, 13:08
By 'defence contractor' I assume you mean 'weapons manufacturer'.

As regards the census data processing, we're constantly told that we have wonderful software / IT / knowledge economy in Scotland. So is it really beyond our capabilities to find a company who is capable of sticking confidential data from a couple of million forms into a database and running some reports on it? However does the world of business manage to run a payroll every month?

Ok then yes, weapons manufacturer.

I agree, there must be Scottish/British companies that could provide a service. But if they're not as good, or not as cost effective, then the government would be criticised for wasting money. It's lose/lose.

northener
28-Feb-11, 08:36

And IBM's response to the book was:

It has been known for decades that the Nazis used Hollerith equipment and that IBM's German subsidiary during the 1930s – Deutsche Hollerith Maschinen GmbH (Dehomag) – supplied Hollerith equipment. As with hundreds of foreign-owned companies that did business in Germany at that time, Dehomag came under the control of Nazi authorities prior to and during World War II. It is also widely known that Thomas J. Watson, Sr., received and subsequently repudiated and returned a medal presented to him by the German government for his role in global economic relations. These well-known facts appear to be the primary underpinning for these recent allegations
Should I sell the Mercedes and stop going on holiday there?;)

If IBM has put in a tender that was acceptable, then I see no problem with it. No more than I would have a problem with a Japanese firm getting it.

Regarding the Census - you can't come up with any long term plan unless you know what you are dealing with.