PDA

View Full Version : Vermiculture anyone?

porshiepoo
20-Feb-11, 16:22
I've built many things for the garden from wooden plant pots, a 7ft wishing well, arbours and even a tumbler compost bin (works better than the plastic floor standing ones) and now I want to have a go at building a wormery.
I've found a few websites with ideas for what to use but just wondered if anyone on here has had a go at making their own and if so what materials were used.

Red
02-Mar-11, 23:09
We bought "can of worms" and it's been really good however I believe you can get the same result with a few old tyres and an old jumper, make sure you get tiger or 'wormery' worms though, earthworms just don't work!

how did you make the compost tumbler - we're thinking about it as our bins take too long...?

porshiepoo
03-Mar-11, 10:04
We bought "can of worms" and it's been really good however I believe you can get the same result with a few old tyres and an old jumper, make sure you get tiger or 'wormery' worms though, earthworms just don't work!

how did you make the compost tumbler - we're thinking about it as our bins take too long...?

I used a big Blue plastic drum (cleaned out obviously) drilled a hole top and bottom to fit a scaffold pole through. (this design would then turn the barrel on it's side so the pole is horizontal). Then I drilled another hole through both sides to slide a plastic pipe through that had loads of mini holes drilled in it. This aerates it. Then I cut some batten to fit inside the drum (horizontally) and banged in a load of galvanised nails to act as an agitator. Then drilled a couple of drain holes and covered these in mesh.
Then made a cross pole support to sit it on (the first scaffold pole sits in the X either end.)
Finally cut a square out big enough to put stuff into and get it out, added hinges and a couple of clasps for shutting it. Then added some handles to spin the thing round.

I'll take a picture today as it sounds more confusing than it is. Or I'll have a go at finding the link I used and post it on here for you.

Very simple if a girlie can do it as long as you're handing with drills, cutters etc.

porshiepoo
03-Mar-11, 10:17
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Tumbling-Composter

OK, that is pretty much what mine looks like with a few exceptions.

I have a batten running the length of the inside with nails attached to act as an aerator (don't know if this one does).
Mine also has a length of pipe straight through the top and bottom which is plastered with holes for aeration (I haven't drilled a load of holes in the barrel itself, just one or two for drainage).
If you look on the photo you'll see a bolt through the scaffold pole end? This is what I did for the aeration pipe mentioned above to keep it in place.

Enjoy!