PDA

View Full Version : Business Signatures

porthos
20-Feb-11, 14:06
I joined this forum hoping to find out more about my local area, but it would seem that there's a lot of aggressive behaviour on here that just isn't found on the streets of Caithness so I'm going to assume that it isn't a fair representation of the area!
But a couple of posts on other threads made me think... Some forums don't allow business signatures and, viewing some of the posts on here, I can see why!!! I'm going to quote one here and, as a disclaimer, I'd like to point out that I don't know the orger in question or have anything against them as a person or as a business. Also this is not the only example, but it is just the most recent one:

Well, I'd jut like to thank Music Monster for pointing out just how much serious fun theology really is and that those of us who haven't answered this gripping issue with 110% seriousness obviusly don't know as much as Music Monster.

It's always nice to have someone around who can do the jolly important stuff for us poor ignorant souls.

We are not worthy.

Now, MM. I would say that all Theology is the pointless study of fantasy works.

And, at the end of the post was a link advertising driving lessons. Now, it just so happens that I am looking for a driving instructor in the area, but would think twice about taking lessons with someone who would ridicule (not just disagree with) someone's academic work as well as a lot of people's beliefs. Even if they were the best driving instructor in the area I wouldn't take lessons, because that post was not only representing an individual, it was representing a business.

I am sorry to have used one person as an example, but I certainly wouldn't want my business to get lumped in with my personal opinion if I couldn't make my opinion inoffensive.

ducati
20-Feb-11, 14:29
I joined this forum hoping to find out more about my local area, but it would seem that there's a lot of aggressive behaviour on here that just isn't found on the streets of Caithness so I'm going to assume that it isn't a fair representation of the area!
But a couple of posts on other threads made me think... Some forums don't allow business signatures and, viewing some of the posts on here, I can see why!!! I'm going to quote one here and, as a disclaimer, I'd like to point out that I don't know the orger in question or have anything against them as a person or as a business. Also this is not the only example, but it is just the most recent one:

And, at the end of the post was a link advertising driving lessons. Now, it just so happens that I am looking for a driving instructor in the area, but would think twice about taking lessons with someone who would ridicule (not just disagree with) someone's academic work as well as a lot of people's beliefs. Even if they were the best driving instructor in the area I wouldn't take lessons, because that post was not only representing an individual, it was representing a business.

I am sorry to have used one person as an example, but I certainly wouldn't want my business to get lumped in with my personal opinion if I couldn't make my opinion inoffensive.

Interested to know why you found that offensive? It seems a perfectly friendly, bantering tone to me. Or, are you offended that the person apparently, doesn't believe in a god?

telfordstar
20-Feb-11, 14:32
Interested to know why you found that offensive? It seems a perfectly friendly, bantering tone to me. Or, are you offended that the person apparently, doesn't believe in a god?

Yip me too I had to read it a few time but still dont find it offensive. I feel you should be prepared for the can of worms you just opened.........

secrets in symmetry
20-Feb-11, 14:45
I understand what you're saying porthos, but it's the poster's choice and he's the one that has to live with any consequences. I don't agree with Northener's views but I'm sure I'd enjoy discussing them with him over a few drams after my driving lesson.

At least his signature is for a genuine business. I saw one yesterday advertising a site that peddled fantasy and nonsense.

Welcome to the forum. Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno!

porthos
20-Feb-11, 14:45
Yip me too I had to read it a few time but still dont find it offensive. I feel you should be prepared for the can of worms you just opened.........

Hm, so another can of worms :roll: Soon people won't be able to move on this board without slipping on the slimy critters!
And of course the post was offensive! To dismiss an academic study of God as "the pointless study of fantasy works" is extremely offensive to a number of people. But then I suppose a lot of people have become immune to the poor attitude of some individuals on this board. I do think it's a shame though that people from all over the world can get a very warped view of the Caithness people from what goes on on here [disgust].

porthos
20-Feb-11, 14:46

Thank you :D!

sandyr1
20-Feb-11, 14:50
I understand what you're saying porthos, but it's the poster's choice and he's the one that has to live with any consequences. I don't agree with Northener's views but I'm sure I'd enjoy discussing them with him over a few drams after my driving lesson.

At least his signature is for a genuine business. I saw one yesterday advertising a site that peddled fantasy and nonsense.

Cheese whiz...Latin in Kaitness!! Maybe or maybe not.

telfordstar
20-Feb-11, 14:52
You remind me of a few other posters on here who get up on there high horse and dont get off, you are the ones who make the forum "crap"! If you dont like northeners views then ignore him, end of! I think the subject of god and beliefs are very touchy and everyone has there own belief and opinions and im my case and personal opinion i keep both to myself.

theone
20-Feb-11, 14:56
The board and it's ways, as well as northeners business, have been around for a long time. I suppose with 4 posts to your name you've earned the right to try to change things?

You wouldn't use his business because of that post?

I think that says more about you than him.

sandyr1
20-Feb-11, 15:00
Don't you both think that this is a bit harsh on the newby?
And T Star...
Someone who says something somewhat politely is talking ''Crap'.
Now you may be in Caithness or not...of course some people live the Anon life.

Corrie 3
20-Feb-11, 15:29
If Northerner or anyone else wants to mix their business with their pleasure then surely thats up to them and no one else, especially a Newbie with 4 posts who comes across as a disgruntled incomer !!!!!

C3....:eek::roll:;)

bekisman
20-Feb-11, 15:32
Hm, so another can of worms :roll: Soon people won't be able to move on this board without slipping on the slimy critters!
And of course the post was offensive! To dismiss an academic study of God as "the pointless study of fantasy works" is extremely offensive to a number of people. But then I suppose a lot of people have become immune to the poor attitude of some individuals on this board. I do think it's a shame though that people from all over the world can get a very warped view of the Caithness people from what goes on on here [disgust].Oh dear here we go again a newbie comes in from the cold, (looks local by his comments.). and is horrified that free speech is permitted.. I'm an atheist - feel free to mock my unbelief - I have enough 'faith' in myself not to be offended. If you really think ANY forum is representative of a County, you are sadly mistaken, and, may I say it, naive..

On this forum there are folks from Australia, Canada, USA, Middle East, et el - it's not parochial.. Only 38% of Britons believe in god* Some 62% are like myself I expect, so what's the problem? I take issue with your sarcastic little dig: "I suppose a lot of people have become immune to the poor attitude of some individuals on this board." Oh my goodness..

http://www.secularism.org.uk/only38ofbritonsbelieveingod.html

sandyr1
20-Feb-11, 15:52
On this forum there are folks from Australia, Canada, USA, Middle East, et el - it's not parochial.. Only 38% of Britons believe in god* Some 62% are like myself I expect, so what's the problem? I take issue with your sarcastic little dig: "I suppose a lot of people have become immune to the poor attitude of some individuals on this board." Oh my goodness..

I think people come on here as I did to keep in touch with Caithness and what is going on in the North. Sometimes this occurs and other times 'we' get into 'other' discussions.
I just found the word 'Crap' a bit disconcerting, altho' a wee bitty o' Latin delightful.

divanp75
20-Feb-11, 16:09
I suppose with 4 posts to your name you've earned the right to try to change things?

this thread is porthos (http://forum.caithness.org/member.php?21236-porthos) "1st" post, prehaps they had another user name before this one ???

Diane

northener
20-Feb-11, 16:15

And of course the post was offensive! To dismiss an academic study of God as "the pointless study of fantasy works" is extremely offensive to a number of people. But then I suppose a lot of people have become immune to the poor attitude of some individuals on this board. I do think it's a shame though that people from all over the world can get a very warped view of the Caithness people from what goes on on here [disgust].

Interesting attitude.

I believe in free speech.

Carry on.

The Drunken Duck
20-Feb-11, 16:35
I made a sarcastic comment about theology on that thread. It wasnt a dig at anyone but a general opinion. I happen to be one of those people who dont go around watching every word they post so they dont offend the delicate little flowers out there. As for throwing a hissy about whether or not you would put business the way of a poster you disapprove of .. dont, its your choice to do so after all.

My defintion of Christianity is this, the belief that the zombie of a dead joiner will condemn me to an alleged hell for various reasons. An alleged hell which only exists by the way because we are expected to believe that a talking snake convinced a woman to eat a specific apple. I find the whole idea of religion ridiculous. If anyone who does believe in God finds that offensive then tough .. we are all entitled to our views. But I dont contest your right to believe in whatever you like by claiming your views are "offensive" to me.

Porthos needs to dry his eyes, man up and jog on. Its an internet forum, differing views are the lifeblood of it.

theone
20-Feb-11, 16:39
Yes, you're correct.

I just noted the "4 posts" next to their username, didn't realise this thread was number 1.

gleeber
20-Feb-11, 17:21
I could take exception at the believers and non believers hijacking threads on the org so Lets widen this debate a little bit to include my beliefs. I find people who try to push their religion onto me kinda objectionable and that includes the good old atheist who is often intent on ridiculing someone elses belief whilst claiming not to have a belief of their own lol.
No belief by definition is as much a belief as belief itself. religion is a world view and by believing only in the physical certainties of the natural world a person has adopted a world view and in my book a religion. The non believer no longer relys on human observation and subjective experience so excludes himself from a wide spectrum of human experience when deciding how to view his world. If atheists were content on leaving it there that would be fine but like their best known mouthpiece Dickie Dawkins the High Priest of no belief an important part of the atheists message is an evangelical one and he is intent and determined that everyone will hear his no God message. Well atheists and believers alike. Go stick your beliefs between your hips and leave us agnostics to our lives of uncertainty. We will never know what we never know. Maybe........:confused
I trust I have now insulted almost everybody.

upolian
20-Feb-11, 17:47

You do speak sense,if nobody else can see this,oh well!!

theone
20-Feb-11, 17:50
No belief by definition is as much a belief as belief itself. religion is a world view and by believing only in the physical certainties of the natural world a person has adopted a world view and in my book a religion.

Yes, but the big difference I see is that current society gives priveliges to a religious worldview and not to others. You can insult my political views all day long and nobody will bat an eyelid, whilst question ones religion is almost taboo. Luckily I think this is becoming less so, and we are heading to a more secular society.

I don't agree that athiesim is a religion. For the reason above though, I can see why there have been calls for "athiests of the world to unite" to overcome inequality. Maybe if that continues having no religion WILL be the new religion.

The non believer no longer relys on human observation and subjective experience so excludes himself from a wide spectrum of human experience when deciding how to view his world

I'm afraid I don't agree with that at all. I would say it is the believer, excluding themselves from investigation and reason, content to accept 'what is' that is excluding themselves.

If atheists were content on leaving it there that would be fine but like their best known mouthpiece Dickie Dawkins the High Priest of no belief an important part of the atheists message is an evangelical one and he is intent and determined that everyone will hear his no God message.

Yes, but as above, athiests are increasingly feeling the need to fight for the right of equality. It never ceases to amaze me how the non democratically elected leader of a minority viewpoint is interviewed as often as the Archbishop of Canterbury is on issues as wide ranging as homelessness to the selling of national forests.

Equality? Secularism? Not yet.

ducati
20-Feb-11, 18:15
but I certainly wouldn't want my business to get lumped in with my personal opinion if I couldn't make my opinion inoffensive.

Well, you certainly seem to have offended a few here so..........

theone
20-Feb-11, 18:17
Go stick your beliefs between your hips and leave us agnostics to our lives of uncertainty.

Agnostics. Surely believing that you don't know which belief to believe, even if not believing in any beliefs is one of them, is a belief, and therefore makes you a believer. But in a a different belief than those who believe? ;)

onecalledk
20-Feb-11, 18:26

years and years ago I was what would now be called a "body and soul fayre" , a place where people got their cards read or bought crystals etc. I remember clearly that one woman stated that should she be seen by any of her customers attending the event her business would suffer.

That was over 25yrs ago, I see not much has changed ......

I find it astonishing that someone would not use a business because someone has opposing views to themselves! Is that not a tad narrow minded ? In the example you quote its driving lessons, so why would your driving instructor need to have the same values or opinions are you do ? what on earth does his opinion have to do with his ability to teach you how to drive ??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

K

cherokee
20-Feb-11, 18:27
You do speak sense,if nobody else can see this,oh well!!

Yep, I'm completely with you on this one Upolian !!

bekisman
20-Feb-11, 18:29
I don't want to upset anyone (honest) but we have a good long term friend who is a Baptist Minister, who knows full well Mrs Beks and I are unbelievers. This causes no problems whatsoever (why should it?).

The last time he was here, sat in our lounge, over a mug of coffee he said had we heard about the Dyslectic Agnostic?, we said; no.. Oh says our friend, "He believed there was no such thing as a dog"...
This is no word of a lie; out of the mouth of a minister of religion..
PS The Bishop Of Croydon was my Uncle, so I've no animosity to anyone's religious leanings and do not take the mickey out of those who choose to take that path..

northener
20-Feb-11, 18:52

OK, I've got a bit more time to answer this fully now.

My original mickey take was at MM's apparent belief that those who did not answer with their sensible head on had nothing of worth to add - or were incapable of understanding. MM certainly didn't appear to be bothered by my sly dig.

I did NOT ridicule MM's beliefs. I pointed out that my own belief was that the subject was worthless and I laid out my reason for saying so.
Just to clarify the situation I will tell you here exactly what my belief is: It is that there is no 'Creator' who takes an active interest in our lives, destinies and sufferings. So therefore I believe that worship and organised religion is a waste of time.

Now, if you believe that because I advertise my business on here I should not speak as I see fit - the you need to have a look at how tolerant you are of those around you. I do not have a seperate business 'mask' that I don to try and make commercial gain on this site - I may be many things but I certainly am not a cynical manipulator who uses this place to further their commercial interests by trying to curry favour.
I speak as I find and say what I think. That's how I was brought up. If you don't like it - then tough luck, pal.

I would say there's probably one huge difference between me and you, Porthos. It is that I will defend your right to speak as you see fit on here. Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately, it would appear that you cannot extend that same level of tolerance to those whom you disagree with.

unicorn
20-Feb-11, 18:57
I think people should remember we were all new at some point in time.
Very sad to see a new poster have so many people seem to point out that they cannot air their views also.
People are too fast to jump on people these days.

dragonfly
20-Feb-11, 20:00
to get to the point that Porthos was trying to make (whether he's a newbie or not) he has a very valid point. Since I put a business signature on, my posts have gone right down as I no longer post my feelings on threads as anyone reading may be offended by them and decide not to use my services. If I really felt that I had to comment I would just logon with hubby's username lol

Kevin Milkins
20-Feb-11, 20:03
It used to be fashionable to welcome newbie’s to the Org, but I became slightly cynical about this trend because it was becoming apparent that some new posters where in fact either already orgers posting under another name or banned orgers that have managed to get another shot.

I find it hard to believe that a newbie could “just by chance” have a pop at the official most popular poster on the org out of approximately 1612 registered members and by the 4th post has grasped the ability to multi quote etc.:eek:

Northener is a fine guy that needs no back up from me, but it does grind my gears when someone rocks up with what appears to be the sole intention of causing trouble.

bekisman
20-Feb-11, 20:16
I find it astonishing that someone would not use a business because someone has opposing views to themselves! Is that not a tad narrow minded ? In the example you quote its driving lessons, so why would your driving instructor need to have the same values or opinions are you do ? what on earth does his opinion have to do with his ability to teach you how to drive ??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

K
Onecalledk, I know we've had our 'robust' conversations, but I'm 100% with you on this one

sweetpea
20-Feb-11, 21:05
I think people should remember we were all new at some point in time.
Very sad to see a new poster have so many people seem to point out that they cannot air their views also.
People are too fast to jump on people these days.

My sentiments too, how do some people think that new users have been here before under a different name,maybe I'm too stupid to see it or not spending enough time analysing. Why does it matter if you post once or hundreds of times? who says your opinion is more valid than those that have been here longer. It smacks of a clique if you ask me. Personally I think there are enough 'businesses' around here to pick and choose who gets my hard earned as well so if I don't like a person or their views I will take it elsewhere as per op.

northener
20-Feb-11, 22:11
....... Why does it matter if you post once or hundreds of times? who says your opinion is more valid than those that have been here longer. It smacks of a clique if you ask me. Personally I think there are enough 'businesses' around here to pick and choose who gets my hard earned as well so if I don't like a person or their views I will take it elsewhere as per op.

I'll pick up on what you've just said, Sweetpea.

You're right, it does not matter if someone has made just one post or ten thousand. That's why my answer to Porthos is exactly the same as one I would give to someone who had been on here for some time. Just because someone is 'new' to a forum makes no difference, they should not be patronised or regarded as being stupid based upon their lack of posts. But if the 'new' poster opens up with a post that will draw criticism -then they should be adult enough to handle the potential disageement that their post could draw.

Clique? Nah. An opinion was voiced by the OP and people have posted in favour of - or against - the OP as they see fit. 'Clique' doesn't come into it.

And you're right, you can spend your money where you want and equally I can say what the hell I want without having to answer to someone who appears to be 'offended' by my views. My business, my life, my choice.

Porthos is free to post what he/she wants.

So am I. And so is anyone else who runs a business and who isn't too bothered about drawing flak occasionally.

Each to their own.

gleeber
20-Feb-11, 22:25
The orgs a clique right enough. My original thoughts were that Porthos was in tow with Music Monster and decided to show disaproval of Northerners tone by being controversal. Northerners got his supporters for sure and I can see why the clique words been mentioned. There's always been cliques on the org. Going by the filled PM boxes that are always being asked to be emptied there's nothing but bloody cliques on the org. Ive never been asked to join one. What's wrong with me then? Is Bazaye in any clique? If he is Ill be shattered.[lol]

Corrie 3
20-Feb-11, 22:46
Ive never been asked to join one. What's wrong with me then? Is Bazaye in any clique? If he is Ill be shattered.
Me neither gleeber !!!!!...:( Whats wrong with me then??...:roll:.....Shall we start one of our own?????
(btw, whats a clique?)....;)

C3.. :-)

Kevin Milkins
20-Feb-11, 22:51
I wouldnd't mind being in a clique, if there are any going.:lol:

My post was based purely on what I saw and read and got nothing to do with a clique.

Northener is ( based on the good rep, bad rep system), the most popular poster on the org.

Does it not seem strange to anyone else that a newbie tries to rip the arse out of his business with a first post?:confused

The Music Monster
20-Feb-11, 23:07
The orgs a clique right enough. My original thoughts were that Porthos was in tow with Music Monster and decided to show disaproval of Northerners tone by being controversial.[lol]

Haha! I'm afraid that my interests in the board remain with me! I'm not in the habit of pulling people in to do my "dirty work" (in the loosest sense of the phrase!). As I'm sure you've noticed, my website appears at the foot of each of my posts, this thread applies to me, too.

I appreciate what Porthos is saying, I'm afraid that when it comes to theology and religion I do get fired up - it's something I am truly interested in. I think the point is not whether s/he agrees with the view Northerner stated so much as disagreeing with the way it was put. I guess at times we're all guilty of making throwaway, flippant remarks when we're stung or riled. I said on another thread that it is a danger to write such things when you don't know how your words will be taken - this thread just shows that I should take my own advice!!! That being said, as a business woman, I shall henceforth be more careful about my posts. I intend to follow the example of Dragonfly and just not look at the threads that will antagonise me and so not be tempted to post!

By the way, having just read the Freedom of Expression Article in the Human Rights Act, you're not really so free to say and do whatever you please as you would think you are.

David from Stockport
Ive been on the forum 5 years but in the last 2 weeks have started using my little" hobby business" signiture -I was not sure as to whether to do this but in the end I decided to do it .
Sometimes when I want to join a thread I look at the profile of who started it to get some insight of " where they are coming from" -I sometimes think our polititions should wear overalls like a racing driver showing all the businesses that they have an interest in as I think this would be a more honest approach .

annemarie482
totally unrelated to this thread but where do you go to see this info?
(pure nosiness lol)

Northener is ( based on the good rep, bad rep system), the most popular poster on the org.

shazzap
20-Feb-11, 23:12
Agnostics. Surely believing that you don't know which belief to believe, even if not believing in any beliefs is one of them, is a belief, and therefore makes you a believer. But in a a different belief than those who believe? ;)

Can you say that again please.[lol]

unicorn
Member list then click reputation.

bekisman
By the way, having just read the Freedom of Expression Article in the Human Rights Act, you're not really so free to say and do whatever you please as you would think you are.

'This right includes the freedom to hold opinions, and to receive and impart information and ideas'. (is that not what we are doing here?)

ducati
20-Feb-11, 23:18
I suppose since I registered a business listing and added a business signature of sorts, I have tempered some of my more flippant posts, but I still post robustly on threads I feel strongly about. I have my values and beliefs and if it costs me business sometimes-ho hum.

I get suprisingly little business from sporting estates for instance. :lol:

Kevin Milkins
20-Feb-11, 23:33
totally unrelated to this thread but where do you go to see this info?
(pure nosiness lol)

If you click on Community at the top of the page, then from the drop down list click Members List, then from the bar above the list of members, third one along is Reputation,
When you click on that it sorts the members list by good reputation count.

annemarie482
20-Feb-11, 23:36
ah! thanks kevin milkins.
much appreciated! :)

bekisman
21-Feb-11, 00:04
If you click on Community at the top of the page, then from the drop down list click Members List, then from the bar above the list of members, third one along is Reputation,
When you click on that it sorts the members list by good reputation count.

Ah I see, now I understand.

Niall Fernie
21-Feb-11, 00:53
Are we looking to pep up stock with this thread?

Phill
21-Feb-11, 01:43
I'm quite a latecomer to this thread, made me smile.

Stav' is that you?

Kevin Milkins
21-Feb-11, 05:53

How does that work, Niall?

theone
21-Feb-11, 06:40

I believe you could be right.

But I also believe, as (and if) we become more secular as a society the laws will change to meet the desires of the people. I hope this results in the elevated, almost protected, status of religion as a viewpoint above all others, being dismissed.

theone
21-Feb-11, 06:41
Can you say that again please.[lol]

Haha, no chance!

theone
21-Feb-11, 06:45
If you click on Community at the top of the page, then from the drop down list click Members List.......

Going throught that list of members, it occured to me that there's a lot of people I've enjoyed a good debate with over the years no longer posting.

northener
21-Feb-11, 08:47
Haha! I'm afraid that my interests in the board remain with me! I'm not in the habit of pulling people in to do my "dirty work" (in the loosest sense of the phrase!). As I'm sure you've noticed, my website appears at the foot of each of my posts, this thread applies to me, too.

I appreciate what Porthos is saying, I'm afraid that when it comes to theology and religion I do get fired up - it's something I am truly interested in. I think the point is not whether s/he agrees with the view Northerner stated so much as disagreeing with the way it was put. I guess at times we're all guilty of making throwaway, flippant remarks when we're stung or riled. I said on another thread that it is a danger to write such things when you don't know how your words will be taken - this thread just shows that I should take my own advice!!! That being said, as a business woman, I shall henceforth be more careful about my posts. I intend to follow the example of Dragonfly and just not look at the threads that will antagonise me and so not be tempted to post!

You carry on as you are MM, your posts are interesting and create discussion. That's what this place is about.

bekisman
21-Feb-11, 10:41

If that's aimed at me. No.

northener
21-Feb-11, 11:25

Took me a while to suss that:Razz I'm getting slow in my old age.

bekisman
21-Feb-11, 12:36
Now I see - well I AM older than you!

Kevin Milkins
21-Feb-11, 12:44

I still dont get it.:confused

Saveman
21-Feb-11, 13:09
Same old, same old......

Please take note of business details below ;)

porthos
21-Feb-11, 13:38
Well, this thread has been busy! And only few of the replies have actually had anything to do with the original comment!

I'm an atheist - feel free to mock my unbelief
I don’t want to mock your unbelief – your beliefs are your own business! My intention was never to have another argument about religion, it was about highlighting the potential commercial damage that might come about by associating your business with your own, offensive opinions on other people’s beliefs.

Well, you certainly seem to have offended a few here so..........
So it seems, but I haven’t brought my business into it, have I?

what on earth does his opinion have to do with his ability to teach you how to drive?
In my opinion, the treatment of people’s beliefs by Northerner has everything to do with his ability as a driving instructor. As far as I’m concerned, a driving instructor (like a teacher of any description) needs to be patient and understanding, not mocking and derisive.

I do not have a seperate business 'mask' that I don to try and make commercial gain
Well, that’s your call. Personally I think that business is an art and knowing when to associate your business with your personal opinion is a part of that. Many businesspeople have a mask that they wear, and I do not believe this makes them ‘cynical manipulators’.

I find it hard to believe that a newbie could “just by chance” have a pop at the official most popular poster on the org out of approximately 1612 registered members and by the 4th post has grasped the ability to multi quote etc.
I’m really sorry but I had to have a chuckle at this! I had no idea that Northerner was the official most popular poster, and I tried to make it as clear as possible that this wasn’t about Northerner it was about people with business signatures making comments that could be seen by many to be offensive. Also, I have grasped the ability to multi quote because I have been using other forums (under the same username) for the last six years!

I have my values and beliefs and if it costs me business sometimes-ho hum.
Yes! Thank you! Everyone should be entitled to their own beliefs and values and their business shouldn’t come into it. For example, I wouldn’t mind if my teacher were Christian, Atheist, Muslim or whatever! However, what I do think is that the mocking treatment of other people’s beliefs should be handled carefully, especially if someone is going to tie it in with their business and therefore risk losing custom.

I genuinely don’t get this – explanation, anyone?

I think that just about covers everything!!! Thanks again to the people who made on-topic replies to this thread – I know I haven’t quoted you but that doesn’t mean I didn’t appreciate your comments! :D

bekisman
21-Feb-11, 13:39
Same old, same old......

Please take note of business details below ;)

Sorry Saveman, but I was going to ask you to check my PC, but not now, as our views are diametrically opposed - I will certainly not, only unbelievers may deal with my PC..

Doesn't that sound daft.. of course IF I had a PC fault I'd have no hesitation in contacting you..

theone
21-Feb-11, 13:46
what I do think is that the mocking treatment of other people’s beliefs should be handled carefully

I can't agree.

I think we spend too much time dilly-dallying around trying not to hurt peoples feelings or cause offence.

Imagine parliament if everyone had to "handle carefully" the views of others? Politicians from opposing ends of the spectrum could never represent their party or their electorate properly.

I don't agree with the beliefs of the Nazi's, and I'd have no problem telling people what I think of them. Why should it be any different for the Christians, the Hippy's or the Greens?

Phill
21-Feb-11, 13:46
I genuinely don’t get this
Oh, I think you do!!

:confused:

northener
21-Feb-11, 14:13
Well, this thread has been busy! And only few of the replies have actually had anything to do with the original comment!

I don’t want to mock your unbelief – your beliefs are your own business! My intention was never to have another argument about religion, it was about highlighting the potential commercial damage that might come about by associating your business with your own, offensive opinions on other people’s beliefs.

So it seems, but I haven’t brought my business into it, have I?

In my opinion, the treatment of people’s beliefs by Northerner has everything to do with his ability as a driving instructor. As far as I’m concerned, a driving instructor (like a teacher of any description) needs to be patient and understanding, not mocking and derisive.

Well, that’s your call. Personally I think that business is an art and knowing when to associate your business with your personal opinion is a part of that. Many businesspeople have a mask that they wear, and I do not believe this makes them ‘cynical manipulators’.

I’m really sorry but I had to have a chuckle at this! I had no idea that Northerner was the official most popular poster, and I tried to make it as clear as possible that this wasn’t about Northerner it was about people with business signatures making comments that could be seen by many to be offensive. Also, I have grasped the ability to multi quote because I have been using other forums (under the same username) for the last six years!

Yes! Thank you! Everyone should be entitled to their own beliefs and values and their business shouldn’t come into it. For example, I wouldn’t mind if my teacher were Christian, Atheist, Muslim or whatever! However, what I do think is that the mocking treatment of other people’s beliefs should be handled carefully, especially if someone is going to tie it in with their business and therefore risk losing custom.

I genuinely don’t get this – explanation, anyone?

I think that just about covers everything!!! Thanks again to the people who made on-topic replies to this thread – I know I haven’t quoted you but that doesn’t mean I didn’t appreciate your comments! :D

Well, I'm sat here laughing my head off now. Best entertainment I've has since we lost one of my favourite adversaries some time ago.

Keep it up, Porthos. Keep it up.

(edit: Damn - hit post too early).

I'm suprised by your online persona, Porthos. Id have thought that instead of picking a fictional character from Dumas's novel - you'd have picked a historical figure from the same period.

How about Eustace Dauger? He was, after all, allegedly the 'Man In The Iron Mask'.......

You need to relax a bit more, your clumsy attempts to wrap up your personal disapproval of my anti-faith stance as some sort of 'concern' about business persona is becoming a little tiresome.

I'd suggest listening to some nice relaxing music, maybe I could rip you Lord Herbert of Cherburys Lute Book played by Paul O'Dette? I think you'd like that.

annemarie482
21-Feb-11, 14:25
[QUOTE=porthos;822102]

In my opinion, the treatment of people’s beliefs by Northerner has everything to do with his ability as a driving instructor. As far as I’m concerned, a driving instructor (like a teacher of any description) needs to be patient and understanding, not mocking and derisive. [QUOTE]

as an ex pupil of northners (only ex because i passed my test first time! ;) )
i can honestly say northner is both a patient and understanding teacher.

in fact, i can honestly say out of the two driving instructors i have learned with, he is far the superior teacher.

so because he has a mind of his own and doesn't don the sheeps fleece (of happiness and not upsetting the apple cart)
doesnt make him any less of an instructor.
it may change your mind on using him, thats fair enough, many may find his honesty and willingness to take on board other views quite refreshing. as i do.

upolian
21-Feb-11, 16:52
I typed at least a 200 word reply,then the realisation kicked in.......those who are actually having a go at the original poster,do you run a business?if not,why not?'ahem' Also how would you know how typing publicly on a forum affects a business?

Walter Ego
21-Feb-11, 19:05
What a carryon over nothing.

Someone makes a remark regarding beliefs and the latest self-appointed Cyber Policeman appears to tell them what they should and shouldn't be posting if they run a business.

Get a grip.

Walter Ego
21-Feb-11, 19:54
Shouldn't be posting if they run a business????????? Show me where this has been said?

Read again, Upolian person. You have misread it.

I said that they were attempting to dictate what a business person should or should not be posting.

upolian
22-Feb-11, 11:29
Read again, Upolian person. You have misread it.

I said that they were attempting to dictate what a business person should or should not be posting.

Indeed i have read it wrong,fair play!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
27-Feb-11, 22:26
What i'd like to know is - when did they actually start letting you use Business Signatures anyway ?

I had mine in - but someone complained about me and I had an infraction and had to remove it. (all it was was a non offensive web address for my shop).

Are we now allowed to have them again ?