PDA

View Full Version : New Tourist Information Centre At McAllan's In Wick

Kingetter
27-Aug-06, 01:14
I see that this has been located upstairs. Can anyone tell me if there is a lift for disabled people to use to get to it? I think I know the answer already though I've not been in the shop but always safer to check. So, the TIC has its 3rd home in as many years that I know of. Is it to be taken seriously (Jamie Stone officiating), or is this just paying lipservice?
Maybe no one cares?

Flyermonkey
29-Aug-06, 10:21
Hi there,

I have been told that there is a small ramp being built at the back of the shop, which gives direct access from the rear car-park directly onto the first floor where the tourist information is. So, there will be car parking for disabled people as well.

There has clearly been a lot of work and effort put into getting this tourist information centre off the ground, and I do think that it will do Wick and the surrounding area the world of good. McAllans always seem to have staff around so I would imagine that there is usually someone willing to help out any tourists that go in.

Personaly, I do think it is important that everyone supports both the tourist information centre and McAllans in this, if we all use and support it then there will be no reason for it not to live up to expectations. According to the paper there have been a lot of tourists trooping through the shop since it opened, so I think it is in everyone's interests to care as these people are bringing hard cash into the area and spending it locally on food, bars, transport, accomodation and so on.

I, for one, wish both parties involved the best of luck!

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 10:31
Hi there,

I have been told that there is a small ramp being built at the back of the shop, which gives direct access from the rear car-park directly onto the first floor where the tourist information is. So, there will be car parking for disabled people as well.

There has clearly been a lot of work and effort put into getting this tourist information centre off the ground, and I do think that it will do Wick and the surrounding area the world of good. McAllans always seem to have staff around so I would imagine that there is usually someone willing to help out any tourists that go in.

Personaly, I do think it is important that everyone supports both the tourist information centre and McAllans in this, if we all use and support it then there will be no reason for it not to live up to expectations. According to the paper there have been a lot of tourists trooping through the shop since it opened, so I think it is in everyone's interests to care as these people are bringing hard cash into the area and spending it locally on food, bars, transport, accomodation and so on.

I, for one, wish both parties involved the best of luck!

Thank you for that. As one who could be looking at a wheelchair not so far away, I naturally wondered about access - not that I would be a 'tourist' as I already have a TIC closer to home. I also assume that it will be open all year round not like Thurso's which I believe closes in the winter.

MadPict
29-Aug-06, 15:28
What has become of the old TIC? Sticking it in a shop seems a bit daft when they had a dedicated building (albeit next to the loos) within view of the main riverside car park.

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 16:06
What has become of the old TIC? Sticking it in a shop seems a bit daft when they had a dedicated building (albeit next to the loos) within view of the main riverside car park. from where it moved to the ?Norseman Hotel? which I believe changed ownership?
I think it might now be Drug and Alcohol connected now but won't swear to it.

willowbankbear
29-Aug-06, 16:38
from where it moved to the ?Norseman Hotel? which I believe changed ownership?
I think it might now be Drug and Alcohol connected now but won't swear to it.

Aye it was a "shop" called Turnaround but I havnt actually seen anybody in it

MadPict
29-Aug-06, 16:54
Aye it was a "shop" called Turnaround but I havnt actually seen anybody in it

Maybe cos folk go in, turnaround and leave?.....

So the TIC moved to the Norseman? Well, handy I suppose - you can have a wee drink while deciding where you're going to visit....

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 17:22
Maybe cos folk go in, turnaround and leave?.....

So the TIC moved to the Norseman? Well, handy I suppose - you can have a wee drink while deciding where you're going to visit....

Yup - The Norseman - which was taken over by Swallow Hotels -

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=895

and then to its present location.

katarina
29-Aug-06, 20:06
What has become of the old TIC? Sticking it in a shop seems a bit daft when they had a dedicated building (albeit next to the loos) within view of the main riverside car park.

Ours is not to reason why.......

meandhim
30-Aug-06, 08:05
Just to let you know I was in Macallans/Tourist Information and dont think its much of a service at all, one desk, a couple of directories and some random information on some, not all, bus services, accommodations, etc etc. This is no slight on Macallans, as they have agreed to accommodate the 'tourist office', but I worked in the Mercury/Norseman for years as a receptionist and you wouldnt believe the amount of tourists who would come in looking for general information after 5 o clock because the dedicated tourist office was closed then. We would at least try to help them out, often booking accommodation for them with B&B's etc. Another gripe at the time was the amount of folk who would arrive from the last train and they could not get anywhere to sit down and eat, just takeaways.

Its a shame we dont 'big' ourselves up, no-one else will!! We have a lovely area to visit and tourists/visitors must be disappointed with the lack of information on the area. (Most of the leaflets in the 'Tourist Information' are in English, so not too handy if you dont speak/read the lingo!).

PS, as part of my day to day job, yesterday I had to ring the airport and hotels,my 2 calls to the airport rang out, and it was only ringing the second hotel that I got an answer and the information I needed. (guess who got the business!!)

Kingetter
30-Aug-06, 09:29
And what was Jamie Stone looking at in the photo taken inside? - http://www.caithness.org/fpb/august2006/photogallery/index.php?gallery=22

Surely not "How to get out"? Maybe "How to find the TIC"?