PDA

View Full Version : Wick Dounreay club

zappster
26-Aug-06, 21:59
wonder if anyone knows this one.... What was the dounreay club building used for ..before it became the dounreay club?

rangers1873
26-Aug-06, 22:05
did it not use to be a picture house

pat
26-Aug-06, 22:10
Yes it was a picture house and many Saturdays I spent in there watching anything, every younger person went to the pictures to the Saturday matinee.
After it stopped being a cinema it was a dance hall for a time then the Dounreay Club.

Gleber2
27-Aug-06, 00:04
Ah, memories of my first Week dances to the music of The Rhythm four with Johnny Curran and Stevie Bremner, the best guitarist that ever came out of Caithness. Such memories of the Breadalbane Hall.

Carlo Gambino
27-Aug-06, 00:12
So there is no truth that it used to be a Brothel? I was told this when I first moved to Pulteney :eek:

Murchiemannie
27-Aug-06, 01:01
Iv'e heard the Breadalbane called many a name...brothel...never.
Spent my childhood going between the Pavillion and Breadalbane cinemas. That was when they changed the movies every second day. (before the days of telly) and we could watch three films plus the saturday matinee.
Ah! those were the days!!!!
Must say I thought the Pavillion was the better of the two, though you still got a sore neck if you were down at the front.
Shame there are no picture houses in Wick any more.

Ann
27-Aug-06, 09:13
Ah, memories of my first Week dances to the music of The Rhythm four with Johnny Curran and Stevie Bremner, the best guitarist that ever came out of Caithness. Such memories of the Breadalbane Hall.

Gleber2, you can still hear Stevie play if you go to Portree. I've heard him play in The Pier Hotel and The Tongadale among others! And yes, he is still very good. Mind you, it's been a couple of years since I heard him, but like all good shakers and movers ;) I'm sure he still can!

Maybe an invite to the lighthouse is on the cards? :)

Gleber2
27-Aug-06, 12:25
Gleber2, you can still hear Stevie play if you go to Portree. I've heard him play in The Pier Hotel and The Tongadale among others! And yes, he is still very good. Mind you, it's been a couple of years since I heard him, but like all good shakers and movers ;) I'm sure he still can!

Maybe an invite to the lighthouse is on the cards? :)

Never saw him when he was up but I have seen him in Skye and we have spoken on the phone. He has also been invited up here but so far hasn't made it. Do you remember him in the Electrons?

burstbucker
27-Aug-06, 13:05
I heard Stevie several times, he's good, loud, but I don't rate him as the best guitarist from Caithness though.

Gleber2
27-Aug-06, 13:08
I heard Stevie several times, he's good, loud, but I don't rate him as the best guitarist from Caithness though.

Then who is better, do you think. I have heard most of the best from 1960 to date in Caithness and I have met none with the knowledge and ability Stevie had in 1963, let alone now.

Ann
27-Aug-06, 21:01
Actually I never knew him when he was here; have only met him on Skye!
And I don't think I ever heard the Electrons play; know the name but I was a quiet country girl who didn't get to go to the dances in town!

connieb19
27-Aug-06, 21:21
What were the dances in the Barrogill hall like?

Gleber2
27-Aug-06, 21:25
What were the dances in the Barrogill hall like?

Last time I played there was with Dick Levens and Mr. Boom in 1968 and the accoustics were unbelievably bad. Dances were OK but not the nicest of settings.

zappster
28-Aug-06, 14:00
Thank you very much for those replies....now heres the eerie thing about my question.I had a real vivid dream last week that i was taking my kids to see a movie..but the cinema was across the road from the blackstairs/dounreay club...Untill your replies I swear I Never Ever knew anything about there ever having been another picture hoose in wick!!
the reason I asked about the dounreay club was I brought up a photo of it & thought ...'wait a meenid ats eh pictures oota ma dream'...'cept it was on the wrong side of the road!!
I asked my mum & she cant remember the picture hoose being there!!
I told my wife about the dream the morning after i had it & she thinks this is a very strange coincidence as well!!

Now next question...I had another dream that i was in a bar down below the groat office opposite the Mackays Hotel....anyone ken if there was ever a bar there?If so ah must be some sorta psychic kiddie!!LOL

katarina
28-Aug-06, 14:04
I know there was a bar at the other end of that street - one that was destroyed when the bomb hit.

squidge
28-Aug-06, 15:01
ooh zappster you ll be reading cards and crystal balls in a wee while if this continues

zappster
28-Aug-06, 15:22
ooh zappster you ll be reading cards and crystal balls in a wee while if this continues

LOL ahll get ma cards if a dinna get back to work!!

George Brims
28-Aug-06, 20:35
Last time I played there was with Dick Levens and Mr. Boom in 1968 and the accoustics were unbelievably bad. Dances were OK but not the nicest of settings.

Wow gleber2 you do go back a bit. Last time I encountered Dick Levens he was playing bass for Pete Atkin in the Heriot-Watt Union in Edinburgh. Pete was disappointed I didn't have any scandalous stories about him from school days.

Gleber2
28-Aug-06, 20:42
Wow gleber2 you do go back a bit. Last time I encountered Dick Levens he was playing bass for Pete Atkin in the Heriot-Watt Union in Edinburgh. Pete was disappointed I didn't have any scandalous stories about him from school days.

I remember the tour with Atkins. We were all living in Brixton at the time. Dick makes mandolins and other instruments in Orkney. WWW.dicklevens.co.uk (http://www.dicklevens.co.uk) will get you a look at his beautifully made creations.