PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Murchiemannie
26-Aug-06, 18:43
Well that's another Edinburgh Tattoo finished and I for one thought it was absolutely fantastic.
Full marks have to go to the coreographer for the split timing of all the acts.Better than many a west end musical and the talent was great.
What did you think of the swiss bandsmen? Loved them!!

golach
26-Aug-06, 18:45
Well that's another Edinburgh Tattoo finished and I for one thought it was absolutely fantastic.
Full marks have to go to the coreographer for the split timing of all the acts.Better than many a west end musical and the talent was great.
What did you think of the swiss bandsmen? Loved them!!
I agree, one of the best I have watched if not the best, I liked the New Zealand band also, and the Top Secret Drummers from Switzerland

Royster1911
26-Aug-06, 21:58
The Edinburgh tattoo is always great to watch but the timing of the acts are not what it seems. The show that is broadcast is recorded over the period of the tattoo and all the best bits sewn togeather. Then the dubbing is added and then broadcast. At least, thats what hapened when I was taking part in 1971 (i think)

pat
26-Aug-06, 22:23
They are much more professional now - most of the photography is done on Thursday, the dress practice night and any slight slip ups are corrected just after - they do not have photographers running around during every performance, people would soon complain. Been there often on a Thursday night and seen the things happen shown on TV (someone out of alignment, kicking a sword when dancing etc). Excellent show brings in lots travellers.

rockchick
27-Aug-06, 11:09
Well, I had the joy of attending the Tattoo this year, and then seeing it last night on the telly. Both were great but for different reasons...the close-ups you get on the telly are much better than you get in the stands (especially if you're in row "S") but they kept cutting the shots from one camera to the next, which I think takes away from the performance and the visual display that you get in the audience.

The New Zealanders and the Swiss Top Secret Drummers were the best part of the show for me; the African childrens choir was a nice change of pace; could have done without the Chilean dancers tho.

Worth getting the good seats for!

Dr Evil
27-Aug-06, 12:51
i am ultra jealous that i couldnt make it to the tattoo

sjwahwah
27-Aug-06, 13:49
I've never seen it... but everynite at about 10:30 I hear big booms! Dog jumps a foot! What worries me about the tattoo is the big metal stands stickin up in the air like that... could get ugly if it started lightening and thunderin!

rockchick
27-Aug-06, 16:34
We got lucky and were able to get East Stand seats on Ebay for just a bit over the ticket price! Someone from Switzerland couldn't make it, and put up three tickets with a "buy-it-now" option, which I snapped up.

Definitely one of my better Ebay purchases!

As for lightning strikes, the Castle is higher than the stands, so would probably take any hits if there was a storm.

Mother Bear
27-Aug-06, 19:23
Yes I too enjoyed watching it on the tv. We must be a little more on the ball next January and get some tickets!
One thing I thought was going a bit too far tho' , was the professional bandsmen 'acting the goat' ...sugar plum fairy and the James Bond thingy . Most people like to see the Military precision and enjoy the music of the tattoo, all very traditional. I didn't think this was the right place for such tomfoolery. Perhaps Mel Jamieson wanted to leave on a different kinda note!