PDA

View Full Version : ryan blackstairs (mumford and sons)

wickscorrie
17-Feb-11, 20:53
Ryan
with your contacts could you persuade Mumford and sons to come and play a night in wick
please

dunbrake
17-Feb-11, 21:11
Good Idea, they are playing the Ironworks in Inverness beginning of March surely Ryan could persuade them to travel a bit further North !!

Aaldtimer
17-Feb-11, 21:20
Good Idea, they are playing the Ironworks in Inverness beginning of March surely Ryan could persuade them to travel a bit further North !!

They're on a Highland tour soon! Schedule's pretty tight though.:confused

http://www.footstompin.com/public/forum?threadid=1481384

Douglas Cowie
17-Feb-11, 21:23
I just E-mailed the Ironworks and had a wee rant over the fact that you can only buy a ticket from the box office in person, hardly fair on fans from the far North!

wickscorrie
17-Feb-11, 21:29
agree douglas, we will be in inverness on saturday but we're on a tight schedule, wonder if I email them if they will hold tickets for us, annoying that you get such a good band and its hard toget tickets mind you at least you'll get the tickets at the right price and not the inflated prices that you get if you try to go through ticketmaster and end up going through one of their recomended sites

i promised my daughter to take her to a concert and this would be reasonable price wise instead of a couple of hundred if we went to glasgow

pat
17-Feb-11, 22:26
I have instructions to go down to their venue in Stornoway to book 2 tickets for them appearing here on 7th March - only two tickets per person.
The folk I have to get tickets for are down in Uists this weekend and will miss the ticket sale - been told the queue is likely to be long.
do not mind as long as I can get some for these young folk.

cullpacket
17-Feb-11, 22:40
On sale Sat 19th from the box office at the venue 10am get the sleeping blanket out!!

orkneycadian
18-Feb-11, 01:07
...surely Ryan could persuade them to travel a bit further North !!

They are - Orkney and Shetland! [lol]

lasher
18-Feb-11, 12:12
Ryan
with your contacts could you persuade Mumford and sons to come and play a night in wick
please
Maybe they will play for 10 mins like glasvegas did!!

fooder 10
19-Feb-11, 13:25
id def have a ticket

pat
19-Feb-11, 14:13
I am in trouble - did not get any tickets, they were sold out in 17 minutes, folk queueing here in Stornoway from 03.30 I understand, they stopped taking names for reselling of any returned tickets at 75 and that was long before my part of the queue reached anywhere near the venue.
When do I tell the youngsters I have not got the tickets - glad they have no mobile reception where they are at the moment.

sids
19-Feb-11, 15:42
I just E-mailed the Ironworks and had a wee rant over the fact that you can only buy a ticket from the box office in person, hardly fair on fans from the far North!

If they can sell out by their preferred method over the counter, why would they bother licking stamps?

sids
19-Feb-11, 15:43
I am in trouble - did not get any tickets, they were sold out in 17 minutes, folk queueing here in Stornoway from 03.30 I understand, they stopped taking names for reselling of any returned tickets at 75 and that was long before my part of the queue reached anywhere near the venue.
When do I tell the youngsters I have not got the tickets - glad they have no mobile reception where they are at the moment.

I'm a meanie. I'd have let the "youngsters" do their own queueing.

pat
19-Feb-11, 16:40
Reason I was asked to buy the tickets are
a. youngsters are down in Benbecula due to it being an extra long weekend off school
b. the youngsters did not know tickets were going to be on sale until after they left to catch the interisland ferry
c. I have GUM printed on forehead so everytime I look in mirror can see MUG written to remind me of my purpose in life!

If the tickets were on sale in Inverness and I was in Wick/Thurso - yes let them get down there to queue but living here is a wee bit more difficult for travel,once they were on the ferry there was no way of getting the youngsters back up here to join the queue without having to go another 60 miles each way to pick them up from their homeward trip on the ferry - leave the travel arrangements as arranged for Monday afternoon.

wickscorrie
19-Feb-11, 17:01
daughter and husband joined the queue in inverness at 8am and just missed the last tickets by 5minutes or so at 1230, not very happy but at least she tried

pat
19-Feb-11, 22:27
Tickets in Stornoway sold out in 17 minutes!
Must be popular.

MusicWicker
20-Feb-11, 11:27
No chance that they are going to play Caithness on this tour I'm afraid.

Wick was considered as a venue but the routing just couldnt work in the timeframe they had. They are flying from the west coast to Shetland via Orkney. Once these tours are routed there is no 'adding' dates to them unfortunately. Don't lose heart tho, they will be touring again and they will be using larger venues, so we'll try and make sure we don't miss out next time.

As for the Inverness ticket issue, at the end of the day it is a gig in Inverness, they have every right to sell all of the tickets from the town the gig is in. Would it be fair on all the Invernessians who went to Queue up at 5 in the morning to know that 100 of the tickets had been shipped up to Wick to sell? Not really. :confused

Douglas Cowie
20-Feb-11, 12:54
No chance that they are going to play Caithness on this tour I'm afraid.

As for the Inverness ticket issue, at the end of the day it is a gig in Inverness, they have every right to sell all of the tickets from the town the gig is in. Would it be fair on all the Invernessians who went to Queue up at 5 in the morning to know that 100 of the tickets had been shipped up to Wick to sell? Not really. :confused

Sorry I can't agree with you on this one Ryan; if every promoter took that view people from Caithness wouldn't get to any gigs other than what is put on up here and that ain't a lot in the great scheme of things. Inverness was happy enough for half of Caithness to go to Elton John and Rod Stewart and spend a small fortune so we should be given the same opportunity to attend any other gig in Inverness, we are geographically disadvantaged enough as it is without Showaddywaddy being the highlight of the annual musical calender.

fender
20-Feb-11, 14:02
Sorry I can't agree with you on this one Ryan; if every promoter took that view people from Caithness wouldn't get to any gigs other than what is put on up here and that ain't a lot in the great scheme of things. Inverness was happy enough for half of Caithness to go to Elton John and Rod Stewart and spend a small fortune so we should be given the same opportunity to attend any other gig in Inverness, we are geographically disadvantaged enough as it is without Showaddywaddy being the highlight of the annual musical calender.

And please let me know what's wrong with Showaddywaddy!!

Douglas Cowie
20-Feb-11, 15:33

3 original members out of 8 and they are wanting something like £20 to get in, seriously!!

sids
20-Feb-11, 15:57
3 original members out of 8 and they are wanting something like £20 to get in, seriously!!

You should put on some shows and make a fortune DC.

Show-Woddy.......Woddy might not be the highlight of the calendar- the year isn't over yet.

http://www.uttertrivia.com/djjimmysavile.jpg

Douglas Cowie
20-Feb-11, 16:33
Show-Woddy.......Woddy might not be the highlight of the calendar- the year isn't over yet.

http://www.uttertrivia.com/djjimmysavile.jpg

I certainly hope not Sids, looking forward to the full B Fest line up being announced, and I'm planning Belladrum, I also live in the vain hope that Eric Johnson will tour our shores, other than that as long as it's something fresh and original I will give it a try, the new Adele album got put on the i pod this week, I wouldn't mind hearing her live, not necessarily in Caithness either (fat chance!)

lynne duncan
20-Feb-11, 20:01
What irritates me is the way they treat folk,surely they would know they had not near enough tickets for all the people that were waiting in the queue but they still kept everyone waiting for hours with no chance of getting tickets.There was even a steward that came out and went up the Queue with a clicker in his hand couting everyone there.He came back and said the cut of would be in front of us,so he knew then the hundreds of people behind us would not get tickets but said nothing to anyone.As it turns out they ran out off tickets 30 yards in front of us argh rant over.

Nacho
20-Feb-11, 22:58

seems clear you've got 2 choices ...

1 - move to Inverness
2 - become a promoter in Caithness

MusicWicker
21-Feb-11, 00:05
Good things come to those who wait. They'll be here one day!

Douglas Cowie
21-Feb-11, 19:22
seems clear you've got 2 choices ...

1 - move to Inverness
2 - become a promoter in Caithness

1. No plans of moving to Inverness Nacho my only gripe is making a trip to buy tickets and then another to see the gig, I went to see Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood at Wembley last year but if I had to travel to Wembley to queue for tickets and then go back a couple on months later to see the gig I couldn't realistically do that . The Iron Works don't do that with all their gig's this was aimed at publicity and going by half page article in todays P & J it worked at the expense of those who couldn't get to Inverness to queue.
2. No aspirations of becoming a promoter, I'm busy enough as it is.

MusicWicker
22-Feb-11, 10:51
To be fair to the Ironworks, it was a request of the band - to sell the tickets the way they did.

Little unfair making folk travel twice as you say.

Eilanboy
22-Feb-11, 16:00

Showing your age now Fender.Swinging 70,s for you.Are you going???????

docker
09-Mar-11, 16:32
Get yourselves down to Inverness this Saturday 10am 250 tickets go on sale at the Iron Works for a secret Mumford and Sons gig. Think this could be the one at Tomatin distillery.

George Brims
09-Mar-11, 21:52
I wouldn't mind hearing her live, not necessarily in Caithness either (fat chance!)
Tsk tsk. Jokes about Adele's weight are not nice you know.
I can't turn on the radio or look at the web over here in the US without coming across someone raving about Adele. Her new release is apparently really good.

PS if anyone does get to see Mumford and Sons and has a chance to talk to them, tell them there's this place called California that would love to see them soon! They were a big hit on the Grammys show a few weeks ago.

Serenity
10-Mar-11, 06:38
Tsk tsk. Jokes about Adele's weight are not nice you know.
I can't turn on the radio or look at the web over here in the US without coming across someone raving about Adele. Her new release is apparently really good.

PS if anyone does get to see Mumford and Sons and has a chance to talk to them, tell them there's this place called California that would love to see them soon! They were a big hit on the Grammys show a few weeks ago.

They are playing there next month.
http://www.mumfordandsons.com/blog/railroad-revival-tour-announcement-american-southwest

Eta: The cali dates have sold out already, sorry.

retrodj
10-Mar-11, 07:57
mumford and sons are amazing. can anyone reccommend any bands like them. love tha folk rock sound. im not one for going to concerts but if they came to caithness i would definitely want to go see them

fender
10-Mar-11, 08:56
Try the American band - Railroad Earth.

phil_moonbeam
10-Mar-11, 10:38
you should leave poor ryan alone he does a great job aranging bands in the blackstairs (some times very poorly supported by the local public) but thats there choice then they rant n rave no decent bands come to wick , b fest who never went great day them who didnt go or were to stingy to pay the entrance price you missed a great day looking forward to this years and one last thing good on you at least your trying some other people should put there money were theremouth is if they not happy with what bands you bring up

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Mar-11, 16:40
mumford and sons are amazing. can anyone reccommend any bands like them. love tha folk rock sound. im not one for going to concerts but if they came to caithness i would definitely want to go see them

Laura Marling, Noah & The Whale, Aberfeldy spring to mind. However, Mumford are anything but anything a folk band in any sense of the word. This nu-folk thing is another fad invented by journalists and record labels. Scotland is alive with some of the finest young folk bands - do yersel a favour and check them out. More talented and more deserving than anything the Brit Award winners are selling to those too lazy to find new music for themselves.