PDA

View Full Version : Well - I've done it...

John Little
17-Feb-11, 18:45
...Last year I asked Orgers what retirement was like and what they thought of it. I was trying to decide whether or not to do it. The replies I got were overwhelmingly positive and I decided to go for it in 2011.

Today I handed in my notice and finish on 1 July. I believe in giving plenty of time and wanted to get it done.

Have applied for the pension too.

Now I count the days.

There's all sorts of things I want to do.

A red letter day I think.

Corrie 3
17-Feb-11, 18:51
Well done John, you wont regret it.
Just keep yersel busy and fit and dont spend too long posting on the Org and you will be fine!!!
If you get bored you can always be our Ambassador for better conditions for us Pensioners, you would be good at that !!!
Congratulations !!!!
C3.....:roll:;):lol:

theone
17-Feb-11, 18:52
Congrats and enjoy.

I'll join you in 35, or 45 or 55 years. Maybe never. It'll depend on the way my pension goes!

Garnet
17-Feb-11, 19:21
Well done JL as long as you've got 'enough' (and a little extra) to get bye you won't regret it, good suggestion from C3 tho!

If you have the luxury of a 'phased' retiral it may be worth your while as it gives you an insite into it and it's not such a shock to the system whatever you decide I wish you well. Keeeeeeeep poooooooooosssting!

Garnet.

Corrie 3
17-Feb-11, 19:31
How about selling up John and buying a place up here to see out your final years.....Caithness HAS to be better than Kent for retirement dont you think, and you would be "coming home"..!!

C3...;):)

John Little
17-Feb-11, 19:36
I would agree - as herself full knows. But she thinks Caithness far too cold and has children down here. We are selling up next month and then we move to Somerset

I would not mind living in Caithness again.

But on the other hand - I would prefer to stay married....

Hoida
17-Feb-11, 19:40
Congratulations John I am sure you won't regret your decision. I retired last November after contemplating it for several years and have no regrets. People ask me constantly if I miss my work and I can honestly say I never think about it. I sometimes wonder how I found time to work!!

Doreen
17-Feb-11, 19:41
Well done hope you have a long happy retirement and go for it do all the things you want to do.

Bazeye
17-Feb-11, 20:23
My boss thinks I retired years ago.

Alice in Blunderland
18-Feb-11, 23:45
:D I retired from work last year..... ;) well gave it up I should say and now potter in the garden do voluntary work and spend much more time with the kids. :D

ciderally
18-Feb-11, 23:48
Hey Hey..well done a new chapter begins...enjoy it all..xx

Carole
19-Feb-11, 00:04
May you have a long, happy and healthy retirement John. x

John Little
19-Feb-11, 07:40
Thanks everybody.

I have to say that even though I do not leave until 1 july, even now I feel a great weight coming off my shoulders. A quite amazing feeling.

bekisman
19-Feb-11, 13:37
Just back from a few days away and noticed John's post..
DO NOT DO IT JOHN! You will regret it for the rest of your life, You will simply not know what to do with your time. The days will drag, the friends and colleagues at work will no longer be there, no friendly chats in the staff room, waking up in the morning, with no purpose in life.. You are much too young John to slip into this totally boring and depressing life style.. Channel hopping with the remote, personal hygiene going out of the window, not bothering to shave, waiting for the wife to come home so at least there is someone to talk too. A growing antipathy towards your spouse as she is still a contributing member of society... NO NO NO.

Nah, don't believe a word of it! - I 'retired' at 44 (kicked out Fire service cos of serious injury).. In reality you will kick yourself that you did not do it earlier, you really won't find time for all the varied interests that were not there, because of work weariness, the old days of interminably waiting for POETS day.. No more looking on the calendar to see where you can 'fit in' a break or two, no more putting up with certain colleagues who get up your nose, but still have to remain civil. Or some pain in the arse so-called boss. When YOU know you could do their job, better, with your eyes closed.. Go for it boy! ENJOY!

achingale
19-Feb-11, 19:39
Enjoy it when it comes. No more early mornings, no hassle from anyone and time to do all the things you want to, and deserve to!

Blarney
20-Feb-11, 02:06
What a great feeling John, glad that you can afford to retire before you have to. I remember you saying some time ago that you would move when you retired. Is that in the pipeline now?

John Little
20-Feb-11, 08:19
Indeed it is. Selling this place is what will allow me to retire. Stay here and I would have to carry on working.
We are off house-ogling now.

Blarney
20-Feb-11, 13:57
Good luck with that and I hope that you are successful. Don't fancy moving back to Caithness then?

wicker8
21-Feb-11, 16:02
enjoy your retirement john

bekisman
26-Jun-11, 11:33
This is what it was all about - you won't regret it John..

rich62_uk
26-Jun-11, 11:36
Congratulations ! You can always come up on holiday more often ! Perhaps your wife will change her mind ? :)

John Little
26-Jun-11, 12:04
Congratulations ! You can always come up on holiday more often ! Perhaps your wife will change her mind ? :)

Hopefully we shall be up in September - but as for Mrs L changing her mind - with the central heating on and four layers of woolies she still finds it cold here in winter. Caithness means divorce as far as living is concerned I fear!

shazzap
26-Jun-11, 12:25
Have a long, happy and fulfilling retirement.

bekisman
26-Jun-11, 12:27
I'd rather have these long summer days up here at 13 degrees, than London and Norfolk tomorrow at 31!!! (Think you're in Kent John?)

Kodiak
26-Jun-11, 12:27
Hopefully we shall be up in September - but as for Mrs L changing her mind - with the central heating on and four layers of woolies she still finds it cold here in winter. Caithness means divorce as far as living is concerned I fear!

Do not let the supposed cold weather in Caithness put you off. Caithness is not as cold as you think. One way to check is by the SS Cold Weather payments. Last season Most people who qualified received only 3 payments due to the temp was below 0C for 7 days. While most places in England received 5 payments or more. So this means that on the whole England was colder for longer than we were in Caithness.

Being on the Coast Caithness is a lot milder in the winter than you think. :D

Mind you it could be a bit warmer during the Summer.

linnie612
26-Jun-11, 21:44
Have a wonderful, healthy and happy retirement!:)

John Little
26-Jun-11, 21:48
Thankyou - I intend to make it as long and busy as possible!! :D

Roll on Friday!

ducati
26-Jun-11, 22:16
I gave up the retirement malarky, went back to work. :eek:

John Little
26-Jun-11, 22:19
Well to be honest Duke I intend to write and research, do some acting, a lot of cycling, a bit of home-schooling a grandchild, talks to the WI, university of the Third Age, private tuition, DIY and do the Lands End- John o Groats. I ain't got time to work for a living!! :lol:

Dadie
26-Jun-11, 22:34
I "retired/quit" last year in December due to working costing me more than the childcare covered....then I got a phonecall out the blue and im back at work wondering why im there!..it proves that work isnt everything, but, the rest I get at work almost makes it worthwhile, as I get to sit down for teabreak and lunch with minimal interuptions....

oldmarine
27-Jun-11, 03:25
...Last year I asked Orgers what retirement was like and what they thought of it. I was trying to decide whether or not to do it. The replies I got were overwhelmingly positive and I decided to go for it in 2011.

Today I handed in my notice and finish on 1 July. I believe in giving plenty of time and wanted to get it done.

Have applied for the pension too.

Now I count the days.

There's all sorts of things I want to do.

A red letter day I think.

John: Happy retirement. I've been retired since the age of 65 years, 11 months. I will be 86 years in August. I have enjoyed each day of my retirement. My young wife retired last month from a local high school. She stated she will recognize her retirement when school starts in the Fall. Meanwhile we are enjoying our retirements together. I am certain you will enjoy your retirement.

bekisman
27-Jun-11, 19:37
Well to be honest Duke I intend to write and research, do some acting, a lot of cycling, a bit of home-schooling a grandchild, talks to the WI, university of the Third Age, private tuition, DIY and do the Lands End- John o Groats. I ain't got time to work for a living!! :lol:
I thought you had already undertaken the LEJOG by bike?

John Little
27-Jun-11, 19:47
I have - back in 1987. Now herself wants to do it - taking our time.

bekisman
27-Jun-11, 20:23
I have - back in 1987. Now herself wants to do it - taking our time.
Slower the better for Mrs L; gradually get acclimatised ready for the sub-arctic temperatures up here

John Little
27-Jun-11, 20:25
LOL! 6 layers minimum!