PDA

View Full Version : Neil M Gunn (Writer)

Kestrel
17-Feb-11, 00:42
I'm doing my dissertation on the importance of landscape and cultural awareness/experience in literature of the Highlands, and plan to focus on Gunn's novels and essays.

I was just wondering if any fellow Gunn fans have any thoughts on his use of landscape/upbringing, and how it affects his work overall? Or just any general thoughts/experiences in relation to his work; I'm in the early stages of research at the moment.

Thanks.

Kodiak
17-Feb-11, 12:17
If you have not been to the "Dunbeath Heitage Centre" then this is the place where you should visit. The ethos of the centre is about Neil Gunn and his works. The floor in the Centre is based on the book "Highland River" and it takes you on Kenn's Journey.

Well worth a visit if you require any information regarding Neil Gunn.

pinotnoir
17-Feb-11, 14:50
A recent collection of his essays features that very subject,
'Landscape to Light'.

Bruce_H
19-Feb-11, 03:43
I have read quite a bit of Neil Gunn's work, and I think one of his greatest uses of landscapes is in "The Butcher's Broom", with the stark contrast of when the families are living in Kildonan vs when they are in Badbea.

I second to opinion of taking a trip to Dunbeath Heritage Centre, they will be a fantastic resource.

Bruce

Bill Fernie
20-Feb-11, 02:32
I published with permission of the author Joy Hendry a centenary lecture a few years ago.

You may find it helpful. See it at http://www.caithness.org/artsgallery/photogallery/index.php?gallery=1&start=0

I had to scan the booklet so the text is a bit small but you can click "view full size" to get a slightly larer size of page to help reading of it.

Kestrel
21-Feb-11, 20:47
Thank you very much for your suggestions/ideas. I have the 'Landscape to Light' essay collection, it's proving very helpful. If I can squeeze in a trip north before my dissertation is due I will make a point of visiting the centre. Thanks for the link Bill - very useful!

The Happy Humanist
21-Feb-11, 22:23
Hi Kestrel
I posted on your last topic in July and told you that my dissertation for my English degree examined the sense of place in the novels of Neil Gunn, it sounds very similar and possibly relevant to what you are intending to do... did you ever see the post?
Happy to discuss even though it was a long time ago.
Good Luck
Kate