PDA

View Full Version : Mussels

Grumpy_old_git
16-Feb-11, 19:09
Does anyone know if you can collect mussels anywhere loacally (dunnet to John 'o' groats)?

annemarie482
16-Feb-11, 23:13
theres usually loads on the rocks at keiss harbour

sweetpea
17-Feb-11, 00:47
Maybe we'll be lucky and get a Tesco or Lidl between Dunnet and Groats selling shrink wrapped mussels:Razz failing that try between the rocks!

greener
17-Feb-11, 01:32
theres usually loads on the rocks at keiss harbour

Dhooo! Where does Keiss lie between Dunnett and Groats, yet again another South Mouther that does not know the county.Oh I sweetpea how funny GOG only asked a simple question, could it be possible that your name is the size of your brain ?

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 02:19
Buy a map ?
Mussels are common all around the Caithness coast, but the biggest ones are downstream of villages. There's more for them to feed on there.:eek:

theone
17-Feb-11, 07:46
Dhooo! Where does Keiss lie between Dunnett and Groats, yet again another South Mouther that does not know the county.Oh I sweetpea how funny GOG only asked a simple question, could it be possible that your name is the size of your brain ?

I think that both annemarie's and sweetpea's response provided more help to the original poster than yours.

Walter Ego
17-Feb-11, 08:45

South Mouther?

I think you'll find that this is a Shetland term. I'd prefer it if you Sooth Mooth Wickers would come up with your own terminology.;)

GOG. There's not many mussels on the North coast of a decent size that are accessable. They tend to be rather small. It's more a question of picking an area and seeing what you can find. Watch out for field runoffs near the area you are wanting to use - they are a source of contamination from animal wast and runoff from older septic tanks

annemarie482
17-Feb-11, 08:54

South mouther.
Hilarious (not.)
Having lived in keiss all my life I'm well aware of where it is.
I was mearly pointing out that there are mussels found there as no one else had been able to provide any answer on the noth coast at that point.
If I was so desperate to know that I started a thread on here, a few miles would make little difference.
Anyway, now you know grumpy_old_git,there are some on the east coast which people do come to pick along with winkles.
although the mussels aren't particulary large.
As for you greener, take your insults and go boil your head! :lol:

Grumpy_old_git
17-Feb-11, 12:13
What is wrong with everyone I only asked a simple question, was not trying to start a district war.

Thanks Annemarie for your reply yo my original question.

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 14:38
Further to my original post-

Get hold of an O.S. map and look for the rocky shorelines.
Go at low tides-spring tides are good.
Don't eat any near villages no matter how big and tempting they are.:eek:
I go out West for mussels but even there the big ones are hard to get to. ( IE people have picked all the accessible ones .)
I use a wetsuit so that instead of hanging over the rocks I simply wade along and have access to the best ones.
Nice on a sunny day with a mussell picnic.
I only take enough for ourselves, not more than twice a year.

PS Waders would work too.

Haweswater
17-Feb-11, 15:47
Sure - the biggest mussels can be found near villages, but as previous posts have suggested leave well alone. Mussels are filter feeders and seem to thrive near sewage outfalls. Best look for them at low tides on remote shorelines. Farmed mussels are particularly good (Shetland farms nurturing them in a sustainable method) and should be available from fishmongers.

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 21:22
And DON'T eat any from around Dounreay !!!!!!
I would very conservatively say from Holborn Head to Melvich.

annemarie482
17-Feb-11, 21:23

lol :lol:
was thinking that from your earlier advice!!

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 21:36
Yes, that area particl-ularly !
Id's hoachin !

sids
17-Feb-11, 21:43

Yeah, there are about 2000 people there and sometimes they get a toilet break.

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 21:57
It's all the radioactive crap that Dounreay Nuclear Establishment pumped out way back when that I was referring to but, yeah,that might be an additional issue .....

MMMMMM.... Mussels - I love them cooked on the shore on a driftwood fire in white wine ,with a spot of garlic and cream. Yummy!

Grumpyoldgit - do you have Google earth on your PC ? if not download it and take a look along that Dunnet- JohnO'Groats stretch. It's much more rugged with more Geos than you'd expect from the road. Looks like good mussel grounds, but access will be a consideration, as well as fast rising tides.
There's lower than normal tides just now ( springs ) due to the full moon.

Tides are here -
http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0298&PredictionLength=7

But HT at Scrabster is a bit sooner than JohnO'Groats.
Try a search for Stroma tides.

pat
17-Feb-11, 22:20
Yes ensure you are in completely clean areas before going musseling.
I often watch the folk over here picking whelks, here they call them winkles, at the entrance to Stornoway harbour - where all the rubbish thrown overboard from the boats and ferries ends up and where the sewage used to be pumped straight out to the bay.
They don't care where they pick them as they are being sent to Spain and France - so next time you are in Spain do not eat the whelks or winkles they may be from Stornoway bay.

Walter Ego
17-Feb-11, 22:22
Yeah, there are about 2000 people there on a permanent toilet break.

Fixed it for you.