PDA

View Full Version : HDBF Rules

david
16-Feb-11, 18:12
Hi can anyone tell me if say a local community were to apply for money from the Halkirk District Benefit Fund to build a decent sized shed for storing logs in that this would or otherwise be for or against this organizations constituition?

Dog-eared
16-Feb-11, 18:17
Wouldn't you be better off asking the HDBF ??

david
16-Feb-11, 18:22
Wouldn't you be better off asking the HDBF ??

They never reply to my emails so I thought someone on the org might know

Dog-eared
16-Feb-11, 18:28
Try phoning Peter Blackwood at Braal. He's in the phone book and a trustee. Also, Stuart Mills of Wester House, Westerdale handles membership applications.

HDBF website here lists members - http://www.halkirkdistrictbenefitfund.org.uk/

david
16-Feb-11, 20:02
Try phoning Peter Blackwood at Braal. He's in the phone book and a trustee. Also, Stuart Mills of Wester House, Westerdale handles membership applications.

HDBF website here lists members - http://www.halkirkdistrictbenefitfund.org.uk/

Yeah right

DeHaviLand
16-Feb-11, 21:48
See here (http://www.oscr.org.uk/CharityIndexDetails.aspx?id=SC039254) for the objectives of the charity

david
16-Feb-11, 23:31
See here (http://www.oscr.org.uk/CharityIndexDetails.aspx?id=SC039254) for the objectives of the charity

So they are a charity then?

DeHaviLand
17-Feb-11, 00:07
So they are a charity then?

Well, obviously!

david
17-Feb-11, 00:32
Well, obviously!

Well your correct that by definition they are a charity but I've never seen anyone collecting on their behalf or recieved any correspondence asking for money unlike countless other bigger organizations that feel the need to do so. Maybe they have enough cash for the time being. Are you suggesting that they are on a par with the likes of Maria Curie, British legion etc? If so why?

david
17-Feb-11, 00:35

Self funding charity then. Mmmm Interesting!

david
17-Feb-11, 00:38

Do you know if this "charity" is registered as such?

charlie
17-Feb-11, 00:49
"Yeah right "

"So they are a charity then? "

"Well your correct that by definition they are a charity but I've never seen anyone collecting on their behalf or recieved any correspondence asking for money unlike countless other bigger organizations that feel the need to do so. Maybe they have enough cash for the time being. Are you suggesting that they are on a par with the likes of Maria Curie, British legion etc? If so why? "

You ask for advice - you get some guidance from well meaning folk.
Methinks your confrontational responses show you have another agenda.

Exactly what is the point you are trying to make??

Please elucidate, to the benefit of us all, so we might advise you further to achieve the funding you require for your decent sized shed for storing logs.

charlie
17-Feb-11, 00:54
Have I perhaps missed some sarcasm David with your defined requirement for funding?

DeHaviLand
17-Feb-11, 00:56
Do you know if this "charity" is registered as such?

Well obviously! You didnt bother following the link I put up for you, did you? Doing so would possibly have prevented the inane questions!

david
17-Feb-11, 00:57
[QUOTE=charlie;820363]"Yeah right "

"So they are a charity then? "

"Well your correct that by definition they are a charity but I've never seen anyone collecting on their behalf or recieved any correspondence asking for money unlike countless other bigger organizations that feel the need to do so. Maybe they have enough cash for the time being. Are you suggesting that they are on a par with the likes of Maria Curie, British legion etc? If so why? "

You ask for advice - you get some guidance from well meaning folk.
Methinks your confrontational responses show you have another agenda.

Exactly what is the point you are trying to make??

Please elucidate, to the benefit of us all, so we might advise you further to achieve the funding you require for your decent sized shed for storing logs.[/QUOTSorry

I apologise if my posts seem confrontational, however to suggest that this organization is a Charity is beyond belief! Do you honestly see them as such?

DeHaviLand
17-Feb-11, 00:57
Well your correct that by definition they are a charity but I've never seen anyone collecting on their behalf or recieved any correspondence asking for money unlike countless other bigger organizations that feel the need to do so. Maybe they have enough cash for the time being. Are you suggesting that they are on a par with the likes of Maria Curie, British legion etc? If so why?

I'm failing to see where I suggested anything!

david
17-Feb-11, 01:09
[QUOTE=DeHaviLand;820368]I'm failing to see where I suggested anything![/QUOT

Okay so they are a registered charity. I don't honestly feel that most folks would automatically see them as such though in the same way as other charitable organizations. i apologise for the inane questions. I can't in truth feel that a wood shed for a community would fall within the remit of such a charity. i mean its hardly life threatening is it?

Torvaig
17-Feb-11, 01:16
Not quite sure what answers you are looking for David but if you go to the website and the GENERAL INFORMATION RELATING TO THE HALKIRK DISTRICT BENEFIT FUND and the GENERAL AREA LINK you will get all you need to know as regards criteria and distribution of funds, GRANTS AWARDED ETC., up to year 2010.......

charlie
17-Feb-11, 01:19
Your original, theoretical, (or as I now recognise sarcastic example), is a fair point.
However, axe to grind and all that - what is it?

Time to be up front, rather than hide behind asking helpful folks for honest advice.
Put up or be called a troll - the choice is yours,

david
17-Feb-11, 01:23
Not quite sure what answers you are looking for David but if you go to the website and the GENERAL INFORMATION RELATING TO THE HALKIRK DISTRICT BENEFIT FUND and the GENERAL AREA LINK you will get all you need to know as regards criteria and distribution of funds, GRANTS AWARDED ETC., up to year 2010.......

I was just after a general feeling from folks who know the rules of this organization a bit better than me whether this proposal would merit consideration or not. Given that I now understand this to be a charity, it would be a bit rich asking for money for a wood store when there are so many others in far greater need.
thanks for your advice anyway

Torvaig
17-Feb-11, 01:27
[QUOTE=david: Okay so they are a registered charity. I don't honestly feel that most folks would automatically see them as such though in the same way as other charitable organizations. i apologise for the inane questions. I can't in truth feel that a wood shed for a community would fall within the remit of such a charity. i mean its hardly life threatening is it?[/QUOTE]

Not all charities are founded for life threatening instances!

Youth clubs, Sea Scouts etc., can be registered charities in order to help youth communities and I don't think the Halkirk fund was initiated for life threatening purposes but for the good of the "Halkirk District".

The clue is in the name.

Their fundraising activities started several years ago and thanks to generous donations and support for those activities, have accumulated a decent fund.

I suggest you read the whole website; the answers are there......... and good luck if you apply for a helping hand.

david
17-Feb-11, 01:31
Your original, theoretical, (or as I now recognise sarcastic example), is a fair point.

Time to be up front, rather than hide behind asking helpful folks for honest advice.

So what helpful advice have you offered? I am merely investigating the possibility of funding for a community project which will run alongside the green energy already being provided by the windmills.

david
17-Feb-11, 01:41
Not all charities are founded for life threatening instances!

Youth clubs, Sea Scouts etc., can be registered charities in order to help youth communities and I don't think the Halkirk fund was initiated for life threatening purposes but for the good of the "Halkirk District".

The clue is in the name

Their fundraising activities started several years ago and thanks to generous donations and support for those activities, have accumulated a decent fund.

I suggest you read the whole website; the answers are there......... and good luck if you apply for a helping hand.

A valid statement

Torvaig
17-Feb-11, 01:42
David, I suggest you apply for funds for your community project or at least go to a meeting of "Halkirk District Benefit Fund" and that is the only way you will get all the answers you seek.

david
17-Feb-11, 01:47
David, I suggest you apply for funds for your community project or at least go to a meeting of "Halkirk District Benefit Fund" and that is the only way you will get all the answers you seek.

Okay, thanks. having now had a quick look at their website it would appear we need to get some sort of community organization together before we can apply for funding. Watch this space.....!

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 02:04
David - since I posted the link to the HDBF website it has taken twenty posts on E'Org to make you realise that a "quick look " at that website might be appropriate.
I would suggest that your people do their homework a wee bit better if you want to find funding.

Good luck.

sandyr1
17-Feb-11, 02:06

Gawd...Do you have to start the Troll thing. Do you have 'friends' on here....
What is wrong?

david
17-Feb-11, 10:17
David - since I posted the link to the HDBF website it has taken twenty posts on E'Org to make you realise that a "quick look " at that website might be appropriate.
I would suggest that your people do their homework a wee bit better if you want to find funding.

Good luck.

Thankyou so much for your very helpful advice

Scunner
17-Feb-11, 17:31
David - are you stirring the pot again

david
17-Feb-11, 18:15
David - are you stirring the pot again

No I'm just trying to get something off the ground for the local community here. Where we are the winter temperatures fall at least 2c lower than Halkirk. Lower temperatures means more heating. Most of the houses here burn logs to supplement their oil which as we know went through the roof xmas time. Now logs are not that cheap to buy, cut and split and you need plenty of time and space to dry them, however if you could buy in bulk, say enough to heat 12 houses over the year and have a facility to season them then the price falls. There are other benefits to the environment, not only are logs carbon neutral, they also provide habitat for insects and other animals and we would be burning less oil which can only be good for everyone. And the community would also benefit from the free excercise chopping all that wood up!

theone
17-Feb-11, 18:41
No I'm just trying to get something off the ground for the local community here. Where we are the winter temperatures fall at least 2c lower than Halkirk. Lower temperatures means more heating. Most of the houses here burn logs to supplement their oil which as we know went through the roof xmas time. Now logs are not that cheap to buy, cut and split and you need plenty of time and space to dry them, however if you could buy in bulk, say enough to heat 12 houses over the year and have a facility to season them then the price falls. There are other benefits to the environment, not only are logs carbon neutral, they also provide habitat for insects and other animals and we would be burning less oil which can only be good for everyone. And the community would also benefit from the free excercise chopping all that wood up!

I read your previous thread as your wanting to build a private shed.

I would imagine a Halkirk community shed might be exactly the kind of thing the fund might be willing to support. I would imagine you might have to form a commitee to organise and control the running of it, maybe even seek charity status yourself, but, if available to all, I don't see why they wouldn't consider it.

david
17-Feb-11, 18:57
I read your previous thread as your wanting to build a private shed.

I would imagine a Halkirk community shed might be exactly the kind of thing the fund might be willing to support. I would imagine you might have to form a commitee to organise and control the running of it, maybe even seek charity status yourself, but, if available to all, I don't see why they wouldn't consider it.

If I wanted to build a private shed I would do so, however I am seeking funding for what I see as a worthwhile facility for the community I live in.

theone
17-Feb-11, 18:58
If I wanted to build a private shed I would do so, however I am seeking funding for what I see as a worthwhile facility for the community I live in.

Yes, fair enough.

That wasn't clear in your previous posts.

Good luck.

david
17-Feb-11, 19:00
Yes, fair enough.

That wasn't clear in your previous posts.

Good luck.

Thanks thats good of you

stewart4364
18-Feb-11, 11:15
A shed is not the most desirable way of drying logs. The more usual method is to provide overhead cover by means of some sort of covering possibly corrugated sheets or similar with the sides of the overhead cover being left open to allow wind to blow through and allowing the logs to dry far quicker. If the logs were still wet when stored in a shed it is highly probable that the logs will go mouldy thus leading to eventual rot.
You state that the logs would provide habitat for insects and animals but what happens to these poor creatures when you throw a log on the fire. Maybe you are into eating toasted spiders, flies or maybe the occasional mouse, rat or even a hedgehog. I understand that insects and animals will frequent the logs whether they are stored in a shed or the method I suggested.
Personally I do not think an overhead cover would be too expensive to construct and if the whole community were to contribute in the cost and/or construction of your wood store you would be well on your way in making your contribution towards saving the planet or so they lead us to believe.

david
18-Feb-11, 14:13
A shed is not the most desirable way of drying logs. The more usual method is to provide overhead cover by means of some sort of covering possibly corrugated sheets or similar with the sides of the overhead cover being left open to allow wind to blow through and allowing the logs to dry far quicker. If the logs were still wet when stored in a shed it is highly probable that the logs will go mouldy thus leading to eventual rot.
You state that the logs would provide habitat for insects and animals but what happens to these poor creatures when you throw a log on the fire. Maybe you are into eating toasted spiders, flies or maybe the occasional mouse, rat or even a hedgehog. I understand that insects and animals will frequent the logs whether they are stored in a shed or the method I suggested.
Personally I do not think an overhead cover would be too expensive to construct and if the whole community were to contribute in the cost and/or construction of your wood store you would be well on your way in making your contribution towards saving the planet or so they lead us to believe.

The type of shed I had in mind would be open on all sides for drying. I'm personally not into eating insects but theres plenty of birds around here that will enjoy them.