PDA

View Full Version : chicken

dirdyweeker
26-Aug-06, 01:09
looking for something different to do with my chicken? Any suggestions welcome

changilass
26-Aug-06, 11:58
You don't say whether you mean a whole chicken or portions.

With breast pieces, I cut into them and stuff them with a mixture of philladelphia cheese and pureed garlic then cover them in breadcrumbs and bake in the oven.

This is an idea I got from weightwatchers, very tasty and not to many calories.:D

footie chick
26-Aug-06, 12:01
Chicken breast sliced fill with Boursin cheese and wrap bacon around brown first then stick in oven for 30mins.

or chicken breast with bacon and cheese sauce.

connieb19
26-Aug-06, 17:43
Chicken breasts stuffed with black pudding, white pudding, or haggis, then wrapped in bacon and cooked in the oven .

dirdyweeker
03-Sep-06, 21:53
You don't say whether you mean a whole chicken or portions.

With breast pieces, I cut into them and stuff them with a mixture of philladelphia cheese and pureed garlic then cover them in breadcrumbs and bake in the oven.

This is an idea I got from weightwatchers, very tasty and not to many calories.:D
tried this and it's lovely. Keen on Scottish Slimmers and low fat recipes so this is ideal. Thanks

j4bberw0ck
14-Sep-06, 13:19
Family favourite, this, and nice 'n' easy too. Mrs J being away just now, made it last night for J jnr. and me, with a batch in the freezer for some other time....

Pack of 4 chicken breasts (stock up for the freezer when they're on offer)
2 lemons (unwaxed is best, try to get the ones that feel heaviest for their size as they're juicier))
1 onion
3 carrots
3 celery stalks
olive oil
good pinch of cayenne pepper
150ml vegetable stock
fresh parsley (about 3 tablespoonsful when chopped)

Cut the chicken up into good sized chunks.

Take the zest off the lemons using a cannelle knife or veggie peeler (if you use a peeler, cut the zest into thin shreds) and juice them. Put the zest and juice straight into the stock, if it's cooled (or at least, not boiling).

Peel and chop the onion, carrots and chop the celery.

Grab a good deep frying pan with a lid and fry the chicken in the oil until it's lightly browned and cooked through.

Remove the chicken from the pan. Put in a bit more olive oil if needed and fry the onion, carrots and celery gently for about 5 mins. Put the chicken back in and add the cayenne pepper.

Stir the stock and lemon juice / zest into the pan, add half the fresh parsley. Put the lid on and simmer gently for 30 minutes.

Serve it with rice or pasta, or bread, or best of all - boiled tatties. Mash the tatties into the juice - wonderful.

When serving, sprinkle the rest of the parsley over it.

The good part of this recipe is you can play around with the relative quantities of things to suit your preference - for instance, I love carrots so tend to go heavy on them, and because IMHO it's best with boiled tatties I use far more stock - 450ml - and extra lemons to give plenty of juice.

Ann
14-Sep-06, 18:33
looking for something different to do with my chicken? Any suggestions welcome

I would make a lovely large run for it out in the garden. Plenty fresh water available at all times and talk to it whenever you can. In fact, you should get some more chickens to keep it company and just think of the lovely fresh eggs you will eventually get! :lol:

Naefearjustbeer
14-Sep-06, 21:44
open a can of lager drink half of it. Then stand it on a roasting tray. Set your chicken over tin with the tin inside the cavity. Roast as normal. Lager steamed chicked :D . Cider might be be nice too!

chaz
14-Sep-06, 21:51
This sounds very promising:D definatly one to try, think cider would be good:D

sweetpea
01-Oct-06, 16:31
Chicken breasts are lovely stuffed with half a banana and some tikka paste/sauce then rolled in ruskoline and baked, mmmm:D

Piglet
01-Oct-06, 20:37
Chicken breasts are lovely stuffed with half a banana and some tikka paste/sauce then rolled in ruskoline and baked, mmmm:D

That sounds rellllly good might give it a bash this week. :)

dirdyweeker
02-Oct-06, 23:14
I would make a lovely large run for it out in the garden. Plenty fresh water available at all times and talk to it whenever you can. In fact, you should get some more chickens to keep it company and just think of the lovely fresh eggs you will eventually get! :lol:

Love your advice! Wish I had the nerve to do so but think the neighbours might complain. The neighbourhood cats wouldn't though.

Am definately going to try Sweetpeas recipe. Sounds so simple but tasty.

XR2
14-Dec-06, 13:58
115g Butter (at room temperature)
1 lemon (unwaxed preferably)
1 handful of Fresh Thyme
8 Slices of Parma Ham
2 Cloves of Garlic

Peel the lemon rind and chop finely Peel Garlic cloves and chop finely and also chop and the Thyme. Tear the Parma Ham into bits.

Mix all the above in with the butter thoroughly. With your Whole Chicken use your fingers to part the skin away from the breast meat. Fill the space between the skin and breast meat with your butter mixture. You may need to massage the skin a bit to work it the mix around. Then cut the lemon in half and insert in the chicken cavity and roast the chicken as normal.

Makes for a nice tasting roast chicken, you can substitute the lemon with an orange too.