PDA

View Full Version : Photography Course

The Flea
15-Feb-11, 11:39
Hi everyone. Has anyone done any online photography courses that they felt were very good. I'm looking to learn photo techniques etc but there seem to be so many courses it's hard to know which ones are actually worth doing.

Happy Gilmour
15-Feb-11, 14:16
I know what you mean there are so many available online but which one is the best one is the problem.

The Flea
15-Feb-11, 15:24
It's really hard to tell isn't it. The price varies so much as well. I've seen it differ from £100-£500 so certainly don't want to pay for one thats not worth it.

dragonfly
15-Feb-11, 17:55
thurso college offer a night class in digital photography, I wouldn't bother with the online ones that charge you, as qualifications are not worth anything

cazmanian_minx
15-Feb-11, 20:43
The Open College of the Arts (OCA) courses are extremely good and you can do an entire degree in photography by distance learning.

http://www.oca-uk.com/distance-learning/photography

Not cheap though. Avoid the Open University T189 (Digital Photography: Creating and Sharing Better Images) - I did it a few years ago and it's all peer review, there's absolutely no tutor input or feedback other than the result you get from your final submission. My mother has done several of the OCA courses and her tutor has been excellent, he exhibits regularly and they were most sympathetic about granting extensions when she took over two years to complete one course due to being diagnosed with breast cancer.

Mystical Potato Head
15-Feb-11, 21:20
There are loads of free on line tutorials,magazines etc which will give you a good grasp of the basics,spend a bit of time reading them so you're sure you
understand whats required,then get out,point and shoot,its the best way to learn . Practice what you've read about and forget wasting money on on-line courses.
You can get all thats required for free on line.Instead of spending several hundred pounds on a course,put it towards getting a better camera or lens,filters or whatever.

wicker05
16-Feb-11, 21:40
No disrespect to others who have commented on this thread, but I totally agree with MPH's comments.

The Flea
18-Feb-11, 15:56
Thanks for the info guys. Are there any good websites for tutorials etc?

dafi
18-Feb-11, 17:57
Have a quick look on youtube and you will be over whelmed!!

I saw this site on click this morning and it looks good.

http://photo.tutsplus.com/