PDA

View Full Version : New Rules & Moderation System

Colin Manson
25-Aug-06, 20:41
Hi,

For a while we have been waiting for the new version of the Forum to arrive, now that it's installed we have been able to activate the new Moderators and Infraction system.

The Updated copy of the Forum rules is here (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=13581), please take the time to read them. In essence all of the rules are the same it's just the method of dealing with 'Infractions' has changed.

As you have already noticed we have 5 new moderators, 4 of them have been Chat Room moderators for a long time, DrSzin is the only recent addition.

We asked these moderators to nominate other users who will be invited to become moderators. We hope that with more moderators we will be able to keep to the forum rules by issuing warnings when users are breaking rules. After getting a warning PM about a post the User is able to prevent future mistakes and avoid any time in the Org jail.

Repeated rule breaking will lead to points being issued, these are removed after set periods of time but if you break enough rules to accumulate 10 points you will be suspended until your total drops below 10 points.

The system is explained fully in the rules post linked above.

Please Note - All Warning and Infraction PMs will be appear to be from Niall, this is being done to prevent any backlash on the forum members who have accepted to be moderators. Every moderator will be able to see a copy of the Warning or Infraction so the system can't be abused by any one person.

Invitations to the nominated users will appear shortly, you may accept or decline as you wish without any bad feelings, not everyone wants to be a moderator. :)

unicorn
25-Aug-06, 20:48
I think it looks like a very good system, well done all.

Kingetter
25-Aug-06, 20:56
Perhaps the message should be left at the top as a stickie?

changilass
25-Aug-06, 21:01
Hi,

Please Note - All Warning and Infraction PMs will be appear to be from Niall, this is being done to prevent any backlash on the forum members who have accepted to be moderators. Every moderator will be able to see a copy of the Warning or Infraction so the system can't be abused by any one person.

:)

Poor Niall, he is being made out to be the baddie, but I am sure his shoulders are broad enough to take on the burden.:lol:

Rheghead
25-Aug-06, 21:07
The new rules seem very good though I noticed since about 3 months ago due to technical probs, posters have been doing duplicate posts unintentionally, is there going to be discretion exercised in that case?:confused

I would also suggest a new rule about not criticising moderators decisions in the forum, it will only lead to trouble. If their decision is final then it should be so, period? How many times have we seen people questioning why another poster has been suspended? They are such non-threads.[evil]

Colin Manson
25-Aug-06, 21:10
Duplicate posts covers the same post in 2 different places, double posting is a glitch and will never be treated as anything else.

From the rules -

Moderation Arguments
In order to prevent arguments over our moderation practices, we have a double layered system, all Moderation will be checked by the Admins.

Therefore taking your case to an Admin in the hopes they will override whatever decision has been made is futile, you can guarantee that we will already have discussed the issue with the moderators involved.

Any abuse directed at the moderator in question will lead to an instant permanent ban, they are here to help with the smooth running of the forum and doing so they should not be open to abuse.

bigjjuk
25-Aug-06, 21:49
i think we all make mistakes including moderators, so i think its a good idea to bring up views about mods, how ever will they get better at beings mods by learning by your mistakes. If it causes trouble then close it....simple as

Colin Manson
25-Aug-06, 22:24
Well in general we have found that allowing people to bring up their views causes nothing but trouble. The threads end up getting locked anyway.

Most people either think that they have a divine right to do as they please (freedom of speech) or they disagree with the Moderators view of the rules or the rules in general.

So why let someone argue away when the admins and all the mods have already seen the post and the action that was taken. If the action wasn't warranted then we would have already reversed the decision.

Niall Fernie
26-Aug-06, 09:41
It should help with the two layered system as replys to a PM of this kind will be sent to me, bringing the matter to my attention, then I can then take a look and respond accordingly.

changilass, I'm actually expecting less flack with this new system, but yes am well able to bare the brunt in my usual lighthearted fashion :roll:

Saveman
26-Aug-06, 10:12
Excellent system.....well done all!

oldmarine
27-Aug-06, 06:42
[quote=Colin Manson;125720]Hi,

For a while we have been waiting for the new version of the Forum to arrive, now that it's installed we have been able to activate the new Moderators and Infraction system.

The Updated copy of the Forum rules is here (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=13581), please take the time to read them. In essence all of the rules are the same it's just the method of dealing with 'Infractions' has changed.

As you have already noticed we have 5 new moderators, 4 of them have been Chat Room moderators for a long time, DrSzin is the only recent addition.

We asked these moderators to nominate other users who will be invited to become moderators. We hope that with more moderators we will be able to keep to the forum rules by issuing warnings when users are breaking rules. After getting a warning PM about a post the User is able to prevent future mistakes and avoid any time in the Org jail.

Repeated rule breaking will lead to points being issued, these are removed after set periods of time but if you break enough rules to accumulate 10 points you will be suspended until your total drops below 10 points.

The system is explained fully in the rules post linked above.

Invitations to the nominated users will appear shortly, you may accept or decline as you wish without any bad feelings, not everyone wants to be a moderator. :)[/quote

I don't use the forum as much as I used to do; however, the new rules look okay to me. There has to be a semblance of order and moderators are required to keep proper order.

Ricco
27-Aug-06, 08:27
Looks good, seems fair enough that no-one should complain... assuming that they have read the rules, which they should do.

Gleber2
27-Aug-06, 21:08
If one of our new moderators misbehaves and gets sent to org jail does he become a Mod Con?

gleeber
27-Aug-06, 21:13
Surely you know by now that godmins organgels are perfect and always right and nothing you can say or do will ever change that.;)

Jeid
27-Aug-06, 22:17
OrgAngels?

Do we get leather jackets saying that? :D

golach
27-Aug-06, 23:21
OrgAngels?

Do we get leather jackets saying that? :D
or free t-shirts[lol]

Jeid
27-Aug-06, 23:32
Haha... that'd be classy!