PDA

View Full Version : Mumpreneurs (the not nice version)

northener
15-Feb-11, 10:00
I've started this under a seperate thread so as not to hijack Bagpuss's thread regarding mums starting sidelines.

"Mumpreneurs"?

Which PR or media prawn thought up that condescending label? Gawd it sets my teeth on edge, it's like "Yummy Mummies"!
Every time I hear that I want to take a baseball bat to someones head. What a load of pretentious, patronising, shallow, one dimensional, trendy, follow-like-sheep crap.

"Mumpreneur" Translates as:

"Look everybody! Here's someone who has given birth but still has the intellect to run a business!" Thus implying that most mums are nothing more than gormless pram-pushers who cannot think beyond the next nappy-change (think Nursey off Blackadder and you'll get what I mean).

"YummyMummy":

"Look everybody! Here's someone who has given birth but still looks after themselves and holds down a pretty decent job!" Thus implying that most mothers are to be pitied as some slovenly house drudge who can not be trusted to get on a bus to work - let alone hold down a good job.

Another example is those annoying adverts on t'web (there's probably one on here if you look hard enough) where some "wierd old tip" was rediscovered by a "single mom". Now, what's the subliminal implication there then?[disgust]

Why is it that after all these years of women fighting to get equal opportunities and respect, some women will happily go along with these pretentious and degrading trendy labels as if it is something to be proud of?

Its the equivalent of standing a black man up on a chair and patting him on the head for not throwing spears at people in the Market Square!

Christ, I honestly thought people were brighter than that.

Thankyou for your attention. Rant over.:Razz

Beat Bug
15-Feb-11, 10:57
Couldn't agree more! 32 years ago I started my own business just before my son was born. Bought a wool shop, 2 years later bought another. After 4 years, branched out to doing wool parties. Greedy landlords forced me to close the shops, but the wool parties went on for another few years. At the same time had 3 children to look after. Made enough money to buy a holiday home. There was no fancy made-up name for what I did, and I didn't want one either!

pat
15-Feb-11, 11:14
Totally agree with you Northerner, thought it was just me who could not understand what all this new name thing was, it just seemed absolutely ridiculously moronicly insane.
When any of my pals have come out with the expressions I have without realising it made a grimace or a cringing groan - it was pointed out to me by a couple of them at different times and have since caught my reaction when these condescending words are uttered!

onecalledk
15-Feb-11, 16:20
Couldnt agree more with all that you say! Was a bit taken a back by the news item that coined this phrase and the reporting was extremely patronising to say the least. Highlighting that one mother "got up really early" so she could bake cakes before doing the "school run" which is another pet annoyance. Since when was there a "school run"? have children not always gone to school, with or without their parents taking them to said school?

A further swipe by the media to further reduce the role of mother by as you so rightly point out the patronising angle of the fact they can look after children AND create businesses. Being a mother surely is incidental to what these women achieve? you wouldnt have a news report on the head of a company and start of with the fact that he was a "father of two" would you, so why the need to bring mother into it at all?

We may well have women in the work place but we do not nor will we ever have equality between the sexes as long as stupid labels are brought out like this .......

K