PDA

View Full Version : davy's big society

bagpuss
15-Feb-11, 00:07
The big irony is just as our beloved PM wants everyone to volunteer, the funding for voluntary groups is being cut.

how many groups have been affected in Caithness?

gleeber
15-Feb-11, 00:13
There's various ways of interpretating the big Society. Maybe even one of them is a cover for cuts. I dont doubt it was mentioned over a big table in Whitehall.
I see it as a wake up call. Unfortunetly everyones sound asleep and theyre no hearing it.
It could be a good idea and doesnt have to cost much. 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Corrie 3
15-Feb-11, 09:48
I keep hearing about Cameron's Big Society but I'm afaiad I just dont understand what it's supposed to be about!!
I dont think its been explained very well or in fact what he wants from all of us!

Never mind, I will go back to my slumber!!!
C3... :-)

ducati
15-Feb-11, 11:35
I keep hearing about Cameron's Big Society but I'm afaiad I just dont understand what it's supposed to be about!!
I dont think its been explained very well or in fact what he wants from all of us!

Never mind, I will go back to my slumber!!!
C3... :-)

He explained it all very eloquently yesterday if you took the trouble to listen, or would you just rather moan?

Humerous Vegetable
15-Feb-11, 11:48
It appears to be a cynical attempt to get volunteers to supply public services for free. We already do our own recycling, we have voluntary hospital cars collecting and delivering patients instead of ambulances, "First Responders" instead of paramedics, voluntary groups taking responsibility for flower displays in the towns, carers looking after frail and disabled patients instead of community health staff.......
Yes, in an ideal world citizens would be prepared to contribute their time and effort to the community if they wanted to and if it wasn't at the expense of public sector paid employment, which I suspect this proposal is.

John Little
15-Feb-11, 11:55
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksgemeinschaft

dozy
15-Feb-11, 12:28
I stated before in a tread .That the only thing missing from the Cameron/Clegg Coalition is the grey uniforms and the SS badge ...All the rest is straight from the book .Some folk are just to blind to see through it , next it will be free train rides to the workplace ..Its just the start and when they pick on the Disabled,Old and Children it going along the same lines ,hopefully its not ending ..The Rich get Richer and the poor pay ,does nothing ever really change..

The Drunken Duck
15-Feb-11, 12:46
Dear David Cameron,

Regarding your "big society" .. Do One.

So you want us to volunteer to run our local services hereby saving you cash ??, not a chance pal. I take it you will be reducing our Income Tax, National Insurance and Council Tax will you ?? .. thought not. While you deem it prudent to INCREASE the amount of money we send abroad you expect us to take up the slack for the services you cut to the taxpayers of this country. Let me remind you .. you dont have any money, the Government of this country owns not a penny. It is OUR money and I for one am damn unhappy that I am funding the fight against "poverty" in India while they concentrate on pumping their own cash into their Nuclear and Space programs. You arent willing to put us first so why should we get onboard with your idea ??, is it the same as the "idea" you had to get us out of the EHCR ??, or the pledge to enshrine the miltiary covenant in law ??, you sir are a lying snake just like the rest of the slime that oozed its way into parliament. And here's a little fact you might have forgotten .. WE ARE the big society, there are 60,000,000 of us and 600 of you lot. And we aren't happy .. Ever see the last five minutes of V for Vendetta ?? .. think on, if it happened in Egypt then it can happen here.

The people of this country want the simple things. A police force not fulled by targets, and describes people reporting crimes as "customers", that has the powers to enforce the law and send criminals away when it is appropriate and allowing us to live our lives. Services that cater for them, after all we do pay for them. An NHS that puts the health of the population as its first priority, Common sense that pervades every level of society will go a long way to sorting this country out. Not being told what we cannot say and think for fear of being labelled. Free speech has long been absent from this country, its been replaced by levels of thought police telling us what is acceptable and what isnt. Not on chum, at all. And shouldnt you be asking Brussels if you can changes our society ??, I only ask because you and your fellow oxygen theives at Westminster sold us out to that lot, lets face it our laws mean nothing anymore. You talk about British society, how can that exist when we have to do what we are told by a bunch of unelected beauracrats in Brussels.

People just want to be left in peace in this country to live their lives. If that was to happen, and you and your fellow troughers in Parliament sorted out what you are supposed to sort people then people would feel safe and secure they would be more willing to volunteer for things. You are there to ensure we are safe and secure to live our lives NOT tell us how to do so, YOU work for US. Do as you're told, wind your neck in and get on with creating the environment where people can help willingly instead of telling us to do so for free. I would happily gets stuck in and help my community. I would happily volunteer for many things but I am put off by endless litigation risks and the assumptions ingrained today that if you want to work with kids then you must be a paedo and such. That is why people dont bother anymore. They dont stand up to hoodie teenagers because they know that they will most probably be painted as the bad guy. Its hard to play a part in society, and stop anti social crime etc etc when the people committing crime seemingly have more rights than anyone else. Like I said make it easier for people to stand up for their community and they will.

DD

PS .. Did you get my Veterans Badge and the instructions on where to stick it ??

Corrie 3
15-Feb-11, 13:25
He explained it all very eloquently yesterday if you took the trouble to listen, or would you just rather moan?
I would just rather moan!!!!!

ps, I didnt put my TV on till 7.30pm last night so I probably missed his "Eloquent" speech!!!!

C3....:eek:;)

Corrie 3
15-Feb-11, 20:34
Just been reading up a little on this Big Society thing and this is what I conclude.......
The Big Society is where the poor help each other and the rich help themselves, I reckon that just about sum's it up really !!!!

C3....:roll:;)

Red
15-Feb-11, 20:52
I like the idea of the Big Society, it's going back to good old fashioned values, where communities help each other. People take personal responsibility and social responsibility seriously. Where people aren't always looking for someone to blame.

Maybe we need volunteers to do work because there is no money left after giving it all to people who don't want to help themselves (I totally support the idea of helping those who can't help themselves). Maybe it is either use volunteers or raise taxes.

Maybe if more people volunteered they would realise that there are people worse off than themselves and it would do them the power of good to realise that it could be worse. Perhaps if people spent as much effort actually giving the Big Society a chance, as they do moaning about it, it might actually work.

Blazing Sporrans
15-Feb-11, 22:10
Maybe more structured community service for those convicted in the courts might help to fill the voids that exist in terms of the 'volunteers' that Cameron requires. But I do agree that it appears to be a cynical manipulation of those seriously craving old fashioned values that have become so diluted in the space of two or three generations...

rob murray
16-Feb-11, 18:15
Dear David Cameron,

Regarding your "big society" .. Do One.

So you want us to volunteer to run our local services hereby saving you cash ??, not a chance pal. I take it you will be reducing our Income Tax, National Insurance and Council Tax will you ?? .. thought not. While you deem it prudent to INCREASE the amount of money we send abroad you expect us to take up the slack for the services you cut to the taxpayers of this country. Let me remind you .. you dont have any money, the Government of this country owns not a penny. It is OUR money and I for one am damn unhappy that I am funding the fight against "poverty" in India while they concentrate on pumping their own cash into their Nuclear and Space programs. You arent willing to put us first so why should we get onboard with your idea ??, is it the same as the "idea" you had to get us out of the EHCR ??, or the pledge to enshrine the miltiary covenant in law ??, you sir are a lying snake just like the rest of the slime that oozed its way into parliament. And here's a little fact you might have forgotten .. WE ARE the big society, there are 60,000,000 of us and 600 of you lot. And we aren't happy .. Ever see the last five minutes of V for Vendetta ?? .. think on, if it happened in Egypt then it can happen here.

The people of this country want the simple things. A police force not fulled by targets, and describes people reporting crimes as "customers", that has the powers to enforce the law and send criminals away when it is appropriate and allowing us to live our lives. Services that cater for them, after all we do pay for them. An NHS that puts the health of the population as its first priority, Common sense that pervades every level of society will go a long way to sorting this country out. Not being told what we cannot say and think for fear of being labelled. Free speech has long been absent from this country, its been replaced by levels of thought police telling us what is acceptable and what isnt. Not on chum, at all. And shouldnt you be asking Brussels if you can changes our society ??, I only ask because you and your fellow oxygen theives at Westminster sold us out to that lot, lets face it our laws mean nothing anymore. You talk about British society, how can that exist when we have to do what we are told by a bunch of unelected beauracrats in Brussels.

People just want to be left in peace in this country to live their lives. If that was to happen, and you and your fellow troughers in Parliament sorted out what you are supposed to sort people then people would feel safe and secure they would be more willing to volunteer for things. You are there to ensure we are safe and secure to live our lives NOT tell us how to do so, YOU work for US. Do as you're told, wind your neck in and get on with creating the environment where people can help willingly instead of telling us to do so for free. I would happily gets stuck in and help my community. I would happily volunteer for many things but I am put off by endless litigation risks and the assumptions ingrained today that if you want to work with kids then you must be a paedo and such. That is why people dont bother anymore. They dont stand up to hoodie teenagers because they know that they will most probably be painted as the bad guy. Its hard to play a part in society, and stop anti social crime etc etc when the people committing crime seemingly have more rights than anyone else. Like I said make it easier for people to stand up for their community and they will.

DD

PS .. Did you get my Veterans Badge and the instructions on where to stick it ??

This has got to be post of the year...brilliant !!