PDA

View Full Version : Ledged & braced Doors

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
14-Feb-11, 22:22
Anyone got them ??

Fancy oak ones but at £160 a piece and needing 10 it looks like it's going to be knotty pine - anyone any experiences of going for the lighter cheaper pine than the heavy oak ?

Dog-eared
16-Feb-11, 13:13
Rembrand do "pine" 4 panel ones for £23. They're actually rubberwood but look OK.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
16-Feb-11, 18:27
not ledged and braces though with 4 panels? Got ours ordered now anyway though

theone
17-Feb-11, 07:34
Although not ledged and braced I replaced my internal hardwood doors with knot-free pine.

I think it is called "Brazillian Pine", but at £110 a pop not much cheaper than what you've been quoted.

The only problem I have with them is that they dent and mark easily. Maybe not such a problem if you're going for a rustic look but worth considering all the same.

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 14:42
What's ledged and braced then ??

theone
17-Feb-11, 15:32

Doors made up of (usually) vertical planks held together by horizontal and diagonal braces.

A bit like you'd see on an old wooden shed or in a "rustic" home.

Kevin Milkins
17-Feb-11, 16:35

http://i.ebayimg.com/24/!BzbtK4gCGk~$(KGrHqUOKikE)(hkKlF3BMWDQHodqQ~~_3.JP G

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 16:40
Ah, yes. Steading doors !! :lol:
Usually with diagonal bracing, as you mention.
Thanks.

Dog-eared
17-Feb-11, 16:44
Anyone got them ??

Fancy oak ones but at £160 a piece and needing 10 it looks like it's going to be knotty pine - anyone any experiences of going for the lighter cheaper pine than the heavy oak ?

Surely a joiner can knock these up in no time ?

Spondootre
29-Jun-12, 00:26
Sorry to comment on such an old thread and it may not be of any use now but I came across this thread indexed on google and I thought I would comment, I have quite a few of the ledged solid oak doors (brand new) available at £79 per door +delivery or free collection and could offer a discount on multiples.Again, sorry to just pop up and comment!ThanksMalc 07747746773