PDA

View Full Version : Cat Owners Responsibilty.

LoneSomeDove
14-Feb-11, 14:52
I have nothing against cats, do not see them as vermin, but can't cat owners keep the cats in at night. I was woken by the continous moaning and whining of two cats sat outside my bedroom window. This is not the first time, and i doubt it will be the last good nights sleep ruined by the noise.[disgust]

When i got up and shooed them away within minutes they were back doing it. Having to get up early in the mornings i am finding the broken sleep pattern a little tiring.

Out of courtesey of others, cats should be brought in at night. And before you all jump in a say, thats what cats do, it does not have to be that way. Let the cat out during the day and bringing in at night solves the problem, that way only the owners have to put up with the noise all night, and the cats get outside time, during hours when hunting mice and birds is harder, so everyone is then happy.

SMALL RANT OVER:mad:

unicorn
14-Feb-11, 16:07
A jug of cold water normally does the trick.

Vistravi
14-Feb-11, 16:53
Aye a jug of cold water does the trick!

A pray bottle full of water does the trick too.

The Music Monster
14-Feb-11, 17:24
We have a cat that goes out at night. She does have her own space in the shed, though, with a basket and blankets. When we first moved here she stayed in but she started getting lethargic and actually wanting to go out at nights...

...And being a spoilt cat, as all cats make sure they are (!), she got her own way!!! Now she has two comfy baskets to choose between, one in the house, one in the shed!

LoneSomeDove
14-Feb-11, 17:46
A jug of cold water normally does the trick.

I have tried that in the past, but it seems we have a lot of cats in the area, and i would be up all night spraying the damn things.

All i ask is people have consideration for others, people moan if a dog is left out all night barking its head off, or howling coz it wants in,or a crowd of youths are standing outside your propery talking loudly half the night, so cats should be no different.

Sarah
14-Feb-11, 19:48
My cats are allowed out at night (although 95% of the time, they chose not to), but I have no neighbours. I have also never heard either of them how before.

I think it depends on the cat, but in your case, yes, the owners of these cats should do something about them!

laurzee89
17-Feb-11, 15:45
My cat gave us sleepless nights when we kept her in, she would just cry all night because she wanted out, so she was distressed and started getting un-well because of it, so it isnt always possible to keep cats in at night.

Would you complain if it was a bird making noise outside your window?

georgen
18-Feb-11, 01:29
It's hardly the same. Birdsong and wailing cats cannot be compared!?
I have a cat and would hate to think of him disturbing others, but it would be hard to keep him in if he was wailing in the house.
Though if he was wailing in the house, I would hope that he would not be doing it outside.
They say it is mating season, perhaps it will be short lived?

You would have to have a pretty good aim and lighting reactions to catch a cat with a jug of water or even a spray gun, pesky things are pretty fast and we are not when woken from our sleep.

I feel for you Lonesome

Aaldtimer
18-Feb-11, 05:03
"Love is in the air, oo oo!...":lol:

_Ju_
18-Feb-11, 09:58
There must be a female in season in your area, Lonesome dove. Either she is feral or has owners that don't care she will come back with kittens. I would guess she is feral. The good news is that soon she will come out of season. The bad news is she might come into season again this year in the summer if she is well nourished enough to have two litters in a year. The really bad news is that if she is feral and does have a litter in mid april, her daughters will be coming into heat for the first time next January.

Carole
18-Feb-11, 10:57
My cat gave us sleepless nights when we kept her in, she would just cry all night because she wanted out, so she was distressed and started getting un-well because of it, so it isnt always possible to keep cats in at night.

But surely as it's your cat it is preferable that she disturbs your sleep and not your neighbour's? And isn't it your responsibility to retrain her / teach her better habits?

Dadie
18-Feb-11, 11:51
A cat is a cat!
It trains its owners to do as it bids!
If bothered by cats at night howling outside your window invest in a sprinkler system for the garden (on a timer) works wonders!
Or one of the electronic pest deterrants on the market!

_Ju_
18-Feb-11, 14:08
carole, A cat is nocturnal. A cat only makes the kind of noise descibed when in heat. A responsible owner will not let their cat in heat outside and unless Laurzee is over run with kittens, I am sure her cat has been spayed. You cannot train a cat to do alot. They especially do not do what they don't feel like doing and will only do what you want for as long as it entertains them, as any cat owner knows.

Carole
18-Feb-11, 15:52
carole, A cat is nocturnal. A cat only makes the kind of noise descibed when in heat. A responsible owner will not let their cat in heat outside and unless Laurzee is over run with kittens, I am sure her cat has been spayed. You cannot train a cat to do alot. They especially do not do what they don't feel like doing and will only do what you want for as long as it entertains them, as any cat owner knows.

_Ju_,
Whilst I should have put the word train in inverted commas, I stand by my assertion that it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that her pet is not causing neighbours to be disturbed through the night. I have had cats in the past and would be horrified if they had been keeping others awake.

The jury is out with regard to whether all cats are necessarily nocturnal but to say that nothing can be done about the habits of those who have got used to being out and about in the dark, is defeatist.

Like dogs, horses (and children I dare say) we have a responsibility to use our greater intelligence, if not to 'train' them, then certainly to convince them that there are other and better ways of doing things.

A brief Google brought up many sites discussing how one can change a cat's nocturnal ways. Here are just two:
http://www.perfectpaws.com/noct.html

http://www.we-are-siamese.com/nocturnal-cat.html

I hope this is useful.

MissRosie
18-Feb-11, 18:52
Cats dislike the citrus smell and tend to stay away from areas where you put it. You can buy a stay off spray from pets at home. it works indoors if you want to keep cats off certain areas just spray it on those areas and the cats stay away so not sure if the same principle would apply outdoors.

_Ju_
18-Feb-11, 21:53
Carole,
Both your links state that cats are nocturnal. I think that I had already said this. The "jury" is not "out" on this. I can guarantee you that cats ARE nocturnal. Professionals will tell you cats are nocturnal. The very sites YOU quote affirm this. Because you or others endeavour to change this, does not mean that cats are not nocturnal.
Both your sites offer little beyond common sense and neither address feline sexual reproductive behaviours ( they address active hunting/play behaviours, FYI) which does not address the problem of the original poster.
I sincerely doubt that when we mess around trying to change natural behaviours that it is a sign of greater intelligence. I do know that we use the natural behaviours of horses and dogs to our own benefit. This is not a behaviour modification per se, but using their own behaviours which have benefits for us as humans (less so in horses than in dogs). Likewise, cats became domestic animals due to their nocturnal nocturnal hunting habits (mice and like vermin rarely come out during the day). Also the hunting/play behaviour of cats is not what is keeping the original poster awake, nor is this behaviour disruptive to anyone asleep in their own home (it tends to be quite silent if dynamic).

Carole
18-Feb-11, 23:54
_Ju_

I stand my assertions 'The jury is out with regard to whether all cats are necessarily nocturnal but to say that nothing can be done about the habits of those who have got used to being out and about in the dark, is defeatist.' You disagree. That's fine.

However, that is not really the point. Whether nature dictated that they were nocturnal or not, they are now domesticated animals. We have domesticated them and we must take responsibility for ensuring that their behaviour is acceptable to our fellow man - especially our beloved neighbours.

I randomly listed just two of the many sites which explained that this nocturnal (where it exists) habit can be adapted. We humans mess around with the natural behaviour of virtually (if not) all domesticated animals. Why not cats? Many cat owners ensure that their cats do not spend the night keeping their neighbours awake so why should others feel that they have no responsibility with regard to this? This is what the original poster was concerned with - and this was my main point. Pet owners being responsible and ensuring that their pets are not acting in an anti-social manner. Is that so bad?

The Music Monster
19-Feb-11, 00:12
If a cat is annoying you, go back to the source and tell the owners. Take it from there. I notice that the original poster has not written on here for a few days, so I hope s/he got the problem sorted.

I was going to say "I'd like to see you train a cat", but not sure I would!! If you want a trainable animal, get a dog!

Carole
19-Feb-11, 00:28
If a cat is annoying you, go back to the source and tell the owners. Take it from there. I notice that the original poster has not written on here for a few days, so I hope s/he got the problem sorted.

I was going to say "I'd like to see you train a cat", but not sure I would!! If you want a trainable animal, get a dog!

Yes, You are quite right! :)

LoneSomeDove
20-Feb-11, 12:29

You are right i aint been on a few days as i have had other commitments, but i can say as i lie here i have 4 males whailing and fighting in ma garden, so i suppose its clear to say i still have a proiblem.
My daughter came down last night complaining she could not sleep for the noise the pests were making. I have thought about speaking to someone in authority, but cats are one of those animals there is no clear defining law. They are pets, but they are legaly vermin as they stray and kill.

But a set of ear plugs seems to be my only way of getting half a decent nights sleep.

If it was one cat it would be easy to trace the owner, but it seems there are more cats than rabbits here, and i cant go knocking on everyones door asking if the own a cat. Maybe i could take pics of the culprits, post them here and see if that turns up anything. All i want is a good nights sleep, is it too much to ask for.

Carole
20-Feb-11, 13:10
Maybe i could take pics of the culprits, post them here and see if that turns up anything.

What a good idea! Sort of 'Frame and Shame'. You never know, it could be that the owners are unaware of the disturbance their pets are causing. They may well be responsible folks but are totally ignorant of your problem. I hope so.

Good Luck

LoneSomeDove
20-Feb-11, 13:22
maybe we could get a sticky here, as you say Frame and Shame.looks like i need to get out my camera and start taking some pics, ill also add area where cats are .

Carole
20-Feb-11, 14:01
Maybe pics of dogs and their owners who do not pick up?

The Music Monster
20-Feb-11, 14:30
I have to commend the large number of dog owners who DO pick up!! Argyle Square is a haven for dog walkers and yet it is quite clear of mess - so thank you to you all!

Carole
20-Feb-11, 14:39
Victoria Walk in Thurso is pretty good too!

Blarney
20-Feb-11, 15:16
Maybe pics of dogs and their owners who do not pick up?
I've thought of this often as there are literally hundreds of culprits but would the org let us post pics?

I have to commend the large number of dog owners who DO pick up!! Argyle Square is a haven for dog walkers and yet it is quite clear of mess - so thank you to you all!
You obviously haven't been walking where I have then. Many owners either let their dogs off their leads to defecate at will or turn a blind eye while they do it on the grass or pavements. While a few do pick up after their dogs many just walk away and leave it. Some walk around with a bag in their hands feigning their intention to pick up the poop but I'll swear it's the same bag they've had in their pocket for weeks.....but it looks good.
If I had young kids there is no way I would ever let them play in that area and in my opinion that defeats the whole purpose of making it a family friendly place. The Argyle Square committee are to be commended for their efforts but unfortunately it has become a costly but pretty poop zone.

Victoria Walk in Thurso is pretty good too!

This is maybe slightly better but it's by no means a poop-free zone.

Perhaps this should be moved to the general forum as the majority of people on here are pet owners and not representative of those who are bothered by either dogs' or cats' (or should I say their owners') anti-social behaviour.

Carole
20-Feb-11, 15:26
Yes, I did wonder whether the mods might be a little unhappy about pics - especially of owners. Perhaps they'll let us know?