PDA

View Full Version : Remedy for dogs that pull on the lead

Jenni
13-Feb-11, 23:28
I have a 9 month old staffy who is quite bad at pulling on the lead. She loves going out for walks but is so strong that I have a job keeping up with her. I wondered if anyone has used a chest harness with any success. I have had mixed reviews about this as some people say it is the ideal solution but others say it will only add to their upper body strenght and make the problem worse.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

*flash*
13-Feb-11, 23:43
The harness which just goes around the face,like a headcoller on a horse i find work's a treat. Due to having control off your dog's head it make's it alot harder for them to take you for a walk. I didn't like the body harness, felt it gave my dog alot more power over me she really pulled from her shoulder's when wearing this one.

Hope you find something that suit's your need's.x

kel24
13-Feb-11, 23:58
I'm actually really struggling with this problem myself, I have a 1 year black lab who is in the region of 5 stone!! He is extremely strong and i find it almost impossible to walk him on my own, we got a halti for his face but he won't tolerate it, i've tried making a noise when he pulls to distract him, stopping and waiting, stopping and turning around to confuse him lol tapping him on the back leg and also pulling him back and saying 'enough'. unfortunately none of this has worked as of yet, we have now bought a body harness, he'll keep it on and walk quite well for a bit but is still pulling. I really don't know what to do, but the harness has definitely been the best thing so far.

Kevin Milkins
14-Feb-11, 01:16
Although I have never used one, I am told by people that have the Halti Leash is one of the most succesfull ways of getting your dog to walk with you.Halti Leader Leash (http://www.lucy-the-dog.com/haltileader.html)

Mrs M prefers to walk Casper (he is a powerfull Boxer) on a harness because she feels that she is in better control of him, but without a doubt, reguler off the lead exercise at the beach to take the edge off them is as good a cure for pulling than any I have used.

Leanne
14-Feb-11, 01:19
If you think about it - harnesses are used for pulling. If it isn;t a control harness it will make the problem worse. What I have done with all of my 4 is insist I go everywhere first - down steps, through doors, down the hallway - everywhere. This can then extend to walks. There are two techniques I use when on the lead - one is to stop and turn every time the dog pulls. It might take an hour to walk 100 yards but you have to do it every time you walk - slip up and you are back to square one. The other technique I use is to walk next to a wall with the dog between me and the wall. Every time the dog tries to get ahead of me I step towards the wall and cut it off. Basically the dog can walk next to me or behind me, but never ahead.

The face halters are great as long as you train your dog to wear them - they can object quite severely if you just put it on and go. Lots of treats to encourage it on and tons of praise :)

Keep at it - you'll get there. Eventually... :)

unicornleather
14-Feb-11, 01:46
I had the same problem with my staffy x lab when I first got him, 62 lbs of muscle pulling you along in the mud or snow/ice!
I used a lead I had made years ago as a copy of one my friend asked me to make as a visual aid incase I needed to make another one, it worked a treat. It's an all in one round leather lead and slip.One long length of round leather about 3/8 " wide looped through a ring which is sewn onto the end.

The idea is to get the ring that slides up and down the lead behind the dog's head (the equivalent of the poll on a horse).It has to be positioned the right way round to the handler or it won't release properly when required to do so. When the dog pulls, you pull it tighter, it has the effect of unwelcome pressure on the poll and breaks the dogs concentration on whatever he is doing that makes him not concentrate on you.It doesn't operate in the same place as a choke chain, which tends to work on the throat or the side of the head.
It makes them listen to you rather than them doing what they want,when you have their full attention you are then in the pack leader's position.
It only takes a second then it slackens off again. It's not about making it painful for the dog but to break into their thoughts and make them listen to you!
Timing is the essence, as soon as they pull you pull the lead then release and praise the dog when they don't pull, with a bit of practice I got the hang of it and my dog was as good as gold after that.
I tried it on my sister's big lab too, he had been to dog training so it was not as though he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing but my sister was not the pack leader, which he knew and at 70 lb in weight she could not hold him back if he decided to pull her.
I slipped the lead on him, within 4 seconds (I timed it) he was walking by my side and I had merely one finger through the lead to hold him.
I'm not saying it works for all dogs and I am not trainer but I did read up on it and tried it, it worked for me, hope this helps.
Oz

aurora32
14-Feb-11, 14:11
Try using one of these : link below I got one donated to KWK9 when i was with them and tried it out on my mally x shepherd that pulled like a train and i have to confess it really did work for her stopped her pulling within 2 uses of it, read the info in the link it speaks for itself and the lady who deals with it is lovely and really helpful.

http://www.k9bridle.com/

farmer
15-Feb-11, 18:01
I have two Jack Russell's who pull all the time, and the only thing I've found that helps is a Halti. I know that sounds ridiculous, as JRT's are only small, but they are incredibly strong wee dogs, and will choke themselves, and pull my arm off rather than walk nicely!
The Halti works by attaching the lead to a small ring under their noses, and if they pull, the band around thier nose simply gets squeezed tighter - believe me, they hate it, and very quickly learn not to pull. The first few minutes of wearing these involves a squirmy dog, and a lot of trying to get it off by rubbing thier nose on the ground, but thats just because its a new way of restraining them. They soon learn just to get on with it!!
Honestly can't praise these enough - the difference between a straighforward lead, and a halti is light night and day.

ducati
15-Feb-11, 20:47
I thought a Halti worked by turning the dogs head when they pulled? I don't like the sound of squeezing their noses.

Tumbledown
16-Feb-11, 09:26
I have a 9 month old staffy as well and she pulls on her lead and is very strong despite trying all different ways to stop her. Went on Ebay and purchased a harness which states it was a non-pull harness which is recommended by Dr Roger Mugford. Very sceptical but I put it on her - she pulled once and hasn't pulled since. Very impressed with it.

Jenni
16-Feb-11, 23:36
Thank you all very much for your advice. It does sound as though I should invest in some type of halti.
I am not sure which one I will opt for yet but may just take my dog to pets at home on Saturday to make sure I get the right size.

lindsaymcc
17-Feb-11, 11:02
We have a halti harness (not the nose bit, just the body harness) and Jake walks really well on it. Got ours from Geddes in Thurso, fantastic service, and cant fault them!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
17-Feb-11, 22:47
Although I have never used one, I am told by people that have the Halti Leash is one of the most succesfull ways of getting your dog to walk with you.Halti Leader Leash (http://www.lucy-the-dog.com/haltileader.html)

we have Haltis in stock at Hilltop Horses & Country - 10/12 Kirk Lane, Wick :-)

teenybash
17-Feb-11, 22:57
we have Haltis in stock at Hilltop Horses & Country - 10/12 Kirk Lane, Wick :-)

Is that where you are....must pop in next time I'm in town.

Torvaig
18-Feb-11, 00:36
Try using one of these : link below I got one donated to KWK9 when i was with them and tried it out on my mally x shepherd that pulled like a train and i have to confess it really did work for her stopped her pulling within 2 uses of it, read the info in the link it speaks for itself and the lady who deals with it is lovely and really helpful.

http://www.k9bridle.com/

Many thanks for your recommendation of the K9 bridle. I have just purchased one for Ben and although he did get it off once he then walked by my side without any pulling; I am amazed and delighted. No more arms being pulled from their sockets!

All boxed up
18-Feb-11, 14:37
Many thanks for your recommendation of the K9 bridle. I have just purchased one for Ben and although he did get if off once he then walked by my side without any pulling; I am amazed and delighted. No more arms being pulled from their sockets!

Glad it worked for you also Torvaig, it does the job without being harsh in any way id recommend to any one to give it a try.

tracey_02
22-Feb-11, 17:41
I am having the same problem with my labradoodle pup, she is so strong! Tried both the halti body harness and the halti head piece to no avail! She figured that if she walked backwards she could shake the head one off and the body harness has just added to her body strength....

Only plus side is, my bingo wings are toning up a treat!

Jenni
01-Mar-11, 13:39
I finally took Rosie to pets at home to look for a halti. The kind girls there let me try a face one on her but she hated it. She also managed to remove it within a couple of seconds. I tried the body harness on her and she seemed to tolerate it so I bought it. I tried it out later that day and to my surprise she didn't pull once. I thought the purpose of the harness was for me to train her not to pull but she didn't pull once. No idea what was going through her head but for some reason my problem is completely solved. I thought it may have been a fluke but have had her out walking several times since and she is a complete angel on the lead now. I know this won't work for all dogs but for me it has been a godsend.