PDA

View Full Version : Sunday school teacher fired for being female

pultneytooner
25-Aug-06, 13:38
Since 1946, Mary Lambert has been a member of the First Baptist Church in Watertown, and for the past 11 years, she's been the Sunday school teacher.
But, last Thursday Lambert received a letter from the Diaconate Board telling her that she was dismissed from her position.

Link (http://news10now.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=76479)

Kingetter
25-Aug-06, 14:06
But there's a bit more to that story if you watch the video. If you want to check some details, have a Bible handy.

mccaugm
25-Aug-06, 15:49
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in ages. What is worse is that it was instigated by a WOMAN in the first place. "HELLO" welcome the new millenium.

George Brims
25-Aug-06, 17:03
It's not the new millenium these people hanker for, it's the one before the last one, or maybe the one two or three before that.

They're the same nutters who are trying to ban the teaching of evolution in schools.

One guaranteed way to *not* be elected President of the US - say "I am an atheist"

scotsboy
25-Aug-06, 18:51
Very strange isn’t it, there is an article in this weeks New Scientist (Latest one I have is dated 19th August 2006) on the percentage of the US population which does not believe in “evolution”, a survey of 32 European countries plus the USA and Japan were considered in the survey. The USA came 2nd bottom (Turkey, a Muslim* country came bottom). The actual percentage of people who believe in evolution (in the USA) has dropped from 45% in 1985 to 40% in 2005.

I have always thought that the natural progression from Presbyterianism is to that of an agnostic, somehow there seems to have been a blip in the Bible belt – have they mutated?

*The reason I placed an asterisk on Muslim, is that they have a big problem with evolution. I recall a tea break conversation I tried to start regarding a BBC documentary on Great Britons, which featured Darwin…..no sooner had I uttered his name was I hit with irate shouts of infidel, these are normally mild mannered men, two of which are former University Professors and the other two have PhDs. It is nice to have a bit of symmetry on the World.

rockchick
25-Aug-06, 19:11
I had never heard about the Muslim/evolution issue - do you know what their problem with evolution is?

scotsboy
25-Aug-06, 19:21
God (Allah) created everything, without God (Allah) there is nothing.