PDA

View Full Version : Golfing in Scotland

sandyr1
13-Feb-11, 15:46
Was out with some friends last nite, and was told that the Royal Dornoch Golf Course was the finest they had ever played. And these people have played around the World.
They also found the scenery wonderful, and the 'Scotch' to be an added bonus!
As they said...Long Live Scotland.

gleeber
13-Feb-11, 16:19
I dont play golf Sandy But I walked close by the Dornoch green and its nicely looked after. No doubt Dornoch will be a venue for the British Open Championship sometime soon. The scenerys lovely anywhere in Scotland. Your friends have good taste. I widna thank you for the whisky though. Every man till his own.

pat
13-Feb-11, 22:28
Another golf course they should look at is Scarista, it is only 9 holes but it is one of the golfing jewels.

They play annually for a Harris tweed jacket, not the Green Jacket.

ducati
13-Feb-11, 22:31
If they want a er... challenge, try Cumbrea Golf Club

Blazing Sporrans
13-Feb-11, 23:05
Dornoch is a truly majestic golf course and some of the holes there have regularly featured in polls of the world's best, however the lack of top class hotel facilities nearby will always scupper it's chances of hosting a big tournament, let alone a major. A crying shame though because it deserves so much more recognition, not just nationally but internationally.

Bill Fernie
14-Feb-11, 10:19
It will be interesting to see how Castle Stuart Golf Course at Nairn gets on as it has been awarded the Scottish Open for three years
http://www.nairngolffestival.co.uk/

See report http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/News/searchresults/January-2011/All-set-for-Nairn-Golf-Festival/

Certainly there are several hotels that can cater for some of the visitors but it is expected that the numbers will spread in all directions including Inverness.

Highland Council and HIE have put money into helping them obtain the tournament. Theeconomic spin-offs are huge for the Highlands.

sandyr1
14-Feb-11, 17:14
Looks great... wish one could 'Drag' that thing up to Caithness...You know the way we do it with pics on the computer.....

oldmarine
14-Feb-11, 21:36
Was out with some friends last nite, and was told that the Royal Dornoch Golf Course was the finest they had ever played. And these people have played around the World.
They also found the scenery wonderful, and the 'Scotch' to be an added bonus!
As they said...Long Live Scotland.

Golfing was started in Scotland from what I have read. I am not a professional but I enjoyed playing golf at various courses in Scotland when I was younger.

Dog-eared
14-Feb-11, 22:22
Not a patch on the Stroma course as a scenic event. The social side is good as well, so I'm told....

embow
14-Feb-11, 23:27
Royal Dornoch always was one of the most favoured by Tom Watson in his long career. Always made a point in playing it when over for the Open in Scotland.
Augusta National " The Masters" course was laid out by a man from Dornoch - Alastair Mackenzie, a golf architect in the States - along with the great Bobby Jones whose baby it was, along with Clifford Roberts, a banker.

sandyr1
15-Feb-11, 02:49
Royal Dornoch always was one of the most favoured by Tom Watson in his long career. Always made a point in playing it when over for the Open in Scotland.
Augusta National " The Masters" course was laid out by a man from Dornoch - Alastair Mackenzie, a golf architect in the States - along with the great Bobby Jones whose baby it was, along with Clifford Roberts, a banker.

Seems your name denotes something to Dornoch!
Yes we are a Country...I mean Scotland. of Great People......There is a term used here...I mean Canada, and people believe it to this day....
50% of the inhabitants are Scottish and the other 50% wish they were!

Blazing Sporrans
16-Feb-11, 22:28
Certainly there are several hotels that can cater for some of the visitors but it is expected that the numbers will spread in all directions including Inverness.
But the numbers at the Scottish Open will pale in comparison to The Open and there simply aren't enough top class hotels in the area for the R&A to contemplate a move further north. It's a pity really, nevertheless, what a coup for Castle Stuart, as it's bound to attract the cream of international golf, all keen on a crash course on links golf the week before The Open. If you're planning going, be sure to take your autograph book, as some of the world's top folders will be there. And even if a certain Mr Woods doesn't know where it is, or if he'll be there, I'm sure the greens won't miss his spittle :)

cat
16-Feb-11, 22:54
Not a patch on the Stroma course as a scenic event. The social side is good as well, so I'm told....

indeed,scenic and a brilliant day out!

tiger woods
17-Feb-11, 23:05
[QUOTE= And even if a certain Mr Woods doesn't know where it is, or if he'll be there, I'm sure the greens won't miss his spittle :)[/QUOTE]
I wont be there, it's a mickey mouse tournament and golf course. As for the spittting, I swallowed an arabian horsefly, it had to go.