town is like a ghost town!!!
shops are dead!
where do folk do there shopping????

orkneycadian
12-Feb-11, 22:15
You know when you've been Tesco'ed! ;)

ryrie
12-Feb-11, 22:18
yeh! but surely u canna do all your shoppinin tesco???????????
that just sad???????

Kenn
12-Feb-11, 22:30
They 're all queuing in The Post Office!

bekisman
12-Feb-11, 22:48
When they get their act together folk will be shopping in the Big Tesco at old Auction Mart (cheap fuel too) then nip down to Spoons in Thurso.. lovely!

orkneycadian
12-Feb-11, 22:55
When they get their act together folk will be shopping in the Big Tesco at old Auction Mart (cheap fuel too) then nip down to Spoons in Thurso.. lovely!

True - I guess they'll be happy to accept unemployment benefit money just like they will any other money!

bekisman
12-Feb-11, 23:01
True - I guess they'll be happy to accept unemployment benefit money just like they will any other money!
Don't you talk tripe.. the other Tesco in Thurso will close and it's staff transfer to the big one and further staff will be recruited for the store and the fuel outlet.. If you're referring to the other fuel outlets, don't think you'll find much support for them here - they have the distinction of about four years ago having the highest prices in UK.. Of course maybe you would have been happy for ASDA to have got the Pennyland or are you against any supermarkets?

orkneycadian
12-Feb-11, 23:06
No, not meaning unemployment amongst Tesco workers.... Unemployment everywhere else. Like the folk in agriculture that used to supply to the local supply chain, but at the time, won't as all the meat will be sourced from down south. The fishing and shellfish suppliers who are similarly out of work as all seafood supplies are sourced nationally. The folk making goats milk cheese or soap or whatever it is who are unable to meet Tescos buying demands in order to sell to them, but are similarly unable to compete in the local market against the foreign import goats milk products that Tesco sell....

ryrie
12-Feb-11, 23:09
yeh but what about all the local shops????
does no1 care anymore?????

bekisman
12-Feb-11, 23:16

Nah, not really...

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-11, 23:16
yeh! but surely u canna do all your shoppinin tesco???????????
that just sad???????

Why not? How is it sad?

Of course they do, but times have changed. If you can get pretty much anything under one roof then why not? Especially with the competative prices. Alot of people dont have the time to go 5+ different places in a day to get specific things.

If i can get everything i need in Tesco then i will get it there. I try to support local butchers as often as i can, mainly because the meat is excellent quality and yes, decent price. But still sometimes surely they struggle to compete with Tesco prices?

ryrie
12-Feb-11, 23:18
buy locally!!!!!
that's what all the tv chefs are tellin us!!! when do u think thurso folk will catch on??? when it's2 late????
thurso got fresh fish and meat on there doorstep!!! but still they go to tesco where fish and meat has been transported fa godknows where!!!!!and tastes crap and is alot dearer!!! support your locl shops or they will shut!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryrie
12-Feb-11, 23:22
well your probably no fa up here anyway!!! so that doesna supprise me!!!
where did u go for your shoppin when all that snow was lyin?????

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-11, 23:28
buy locally!!!!!
that's what all the tv chefs are tellin us!!! when do u think thurso folk will catch on??? when it's2 late????
thurso got fresh fish and meat on there doorstep!!! but still they go to tesco where fish and meat has been transported fa godknows where!!!!!and tastes crap and is alot dearer!!! support your locl shops or they will shut!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you need to use quotes because i have no idea who these comments were aimed at.

People can buy where they want. Nobody can force us to shop anywhere. As i said i support my local butcher as much as possible. I dont buy fish so doesnt affect me.

bekisman
12-Feb-11, 23:29

Tesco, on my Tyre Socks...

ryrie
12-Feb-11, 23:39
Tesco, on my Tyre Socks...

well your quote'' just calls u an idiot!! hahaha!
if u go into a local shop u buy what u went in 4!
u go 2 tesco u spend far more than u went out 4!

canadagirl
12-Feb-11, 23:43
You cannot use logic to get people to buy local. I always buy local when they have what I want and I know I have to pay more, but it's nice to support the local businesses who in turn support all kinds of local causes. Local business does a lot to support a community that you probably don't hear about, like maybe helping out a pensioner who is worried, or single parents having a rough time and nobody else to turn to- they are more than just a business they are an important part of a community!

ryrie
12-Feb-11, 23:54
You cannot use logic to get people to buy local. I always buy local when they have what I want and I know I have to pay more, but it's nice to support the local businesses who in turn support all kinds of local causes. Local business does a lot to support a community that you probably don't hear about, like maybe helping out a pensioner who is worried, or single parents having a rough time and nobody else to turn to- they are more than just a business they are an important part of a community!
yeh i agree!! but if no1 supports them the'll die out!!

then what will the community do????
who will they go 2 with there begging letters 4 there charities????? tescos???????
they don't support any1 but them selfs!!! if the locals don't support there locals then why should the local shops support the locals???

Scarybiscuits03
13-Feb-11, 00:28

Dont think you should be going about calling people "idiots", especially considering you were the one that asked the question!......All Bekisman did is answer - you are only painting yourself in a bad light.......

The Music Monster
13-Feb-11, 01:54

Only if you have a serious lack of willpower!!

I was in Thurso today and couldn't believe how few people there were. It is not just Tesco that is having an impact it is also, and perhaps primarily when your talking about precinct shops, the internet. Things delivered to your door at bargain prices. I'm not going to argue with that!

Of course you're right - shopping locally is the best thing to do for the locality, but how many people have the time AND money to do it?! Business ethics is a VERY hazy area... Whilst questioning the ethics of people shopping in Tescos, also question the ethics of someone selling something, identical to something you can get on the internet, for two or three times the price in a precinct shop.

It's a very complex issue but at the end of the day in the world of commerce money is central, so the place that gives the best value for money is the place where most people will go... It's up to the individual to decide what "value for money" entails (eg products, service etc).

theone
13-Feb-11, 07:07
People in Thurso are doing whatever they want and shopping wherever they want. Choice.

If there's nobody down the street in the shops, it's because they don't want to shop there. Choice.

Many people enjoy doing a lot of shopping on the internet. I do. choice.

About 5 years ago now I bought a nice shiney new TV online for £950, delivered to my door. Unfortunately, I forgot to order an HDMI cable so went to a local electrical shop for one, too impatient to order one online. £45 for a cable that I could have got for half that at a major retailer. At the same time, the shop assistant, just back from his lunch when the shop had been shut, was telling an elderly couple of the amazing deal he was offering. A £1700 TV for £1400. Guess what, it was the same telly I'd just recieved.

Now, anybody who wants to shop locally can if they want.

I want the the best deal I can get, and I don't want to subsidise the local business people, many living in £250000+ houses whilst ripping the eyes out of me. I'd rather pay a far off retailer a fair price.

Local businesses have failed to keep up with what the public want. If they hadn't business would be booming. Like it is for the online retailers and major chains.

An exception is the local butchers, that offer good locally sourced products to those who want them. Not many of them, I think you'll find, are struggling or would worry too much about a bigger supermarket.

theone
13-Feb-11, 07:50
No, not meaning unemployment amongst Tesco workers.... Unemployment everywhere else. Like the folk in agriculture that used to supply to the local supply chain, but at the time, won't as all the meat will be sourced from down south. The fishing and shellfish suppliers who are similarly out of work as all seafood supplies are sourced nationally. The folk making goats milk cheese or soap or whatever it is who are unable to meet Tescos buying demands in order to sell to them, but are similarly unable to compete in the local market against the foreign import goats milk products that Tesco sell....

Come on.....

Thurso has 1 Tesco and 1 CO-OP as the main food outlets.

After the new Tesco, we will have a 1 Tesco and 1 CO-OP as the main food outlets.

The sourcing of Thurso's food is not going to change one jot.

I think some local retailers, clothes and electrical for example, might suffer a little, but I think the real damage has already been done with people wanting to shop online or taking trips to Inverness. But Butchers and Fishmongers, who have adapted and provide what the shopper wants will do fine. And they will continue to source their supplies from the places they always have.

Your argument continually seems to go back to local businesses unable to compete. Tough. If they're in a market without the demand then more fool them.

The consumer will decide what they want to consume, and spend their money appropriately.

I couldn't compete in the olympic 100m final but I don't expect them block Usain Bolt from entering just to give me a chance.

Ricco
13-Feb-11, 09:56
It is possible for both the large supermarkets and the local stores to survive.... but it depends on you the consumer. I shop at Tescos, Asda, Sainsburys or Waitrose (when I am feeling flush!) but also look to the small shop for fresher ingredients or those that the s'markets don't stock. Also, managers of local supermarkets tend to monitor what their local customers want (they would be foolish to ignore local needs) and buy what the market demands. Our local Tescos stocks some different lines as well as the usual; by comparison, the one in Reading stocks a big range of ethnic goods because there is a high proportion of their customers coming from a range of different backgrounds. The one in Camberley is again different for similar regions. The managers are not fools and they will adjust their goods accordingly - but only if you tell them.

So, its down to you. Do you speak to your supermarket? Do you tell them what you would like? Are you willing to get a petition together to have some changes implemented? Or do you simply buy what's on the shelves? Go to the planning days (I presume they do have them?) or insist that the Tesco corporatation put up a 'Come and discuss' information centre where you can ask those searching questions, make your voice heard.

bekisman
13-Feb-11, 10:49

Idiot? wot me? nah, if you're happy to get ripped off - that's your choice.

Right, to explain: "Tyre Socks" are fabric thingamabob's one puts over the tyres of one's beep beep, and then can drive on the snow and ice.
Incidentally I see you're at Castletown - do you fill up at Dickies? or sneak over to Wick? As although you scream [!!!!!!!!!!!!] that we must use local shops, you're quite willing to use multi chains yourself: i.e. 21st March 2010 on the "Blinds" thread, your quote: "got mine {Blinds] fa argos in wick! nice blinds and easy to fit!" What!!!!!!!! how about supporting your local shops instead of a multi national chain, there's Elizabeth's, Parasol Blinds, Precision Blinds - or even Fiona Miller you could have used..

I'm also a wee bit confused that your recent postings have been as shown above in the quoted text.. but when you first started here your diction was near enough perfect.
An example:
17 sept 09 #26 "yeh! I got a similar phone call! they said that the banks had broken the law with their credit agreements and that any credit agreements I had were not worth the paper they were written on! so any outstanding balances I owed up to 50,000 could be claimed back."

Amazing! Recently we had another poster who did this - now gone, but....

orkneycadian
13-Feb-11, 11:24
So, its down to you. Do you speak to your supermarket? Do you tell them what you would like? Are you willing to get a petition together to have some changes implemented? Or do you simply buy what's on the shelves? Go to the planning days (I presume they do have them?) or insist that the Tesco corporatation put up a 'Come and discuss' information centre where you can ask those searching questions, make your voice heard.

I did once in the old Tesco on a "fact finding mission". Don't worry, the wallet stayed firmly in pocket!

Conversation:

Me: Excuse me, is this generically packaged milk, Orkney Milk?
Shelf stacker: Dunno
Me: Is it possible to find out
Shelf stacker: I'll get a supervisor
Supervisor: I think so - but I would need to look up a code on the side of it to see for sure.
Me: OK, if you changed to another supplier next week, how would we know?
Supervisor: The codes on the side would be different
Me: So what codes are for what supplier?
Supervisor: Oh I don't know, I would need to look it up on the computer.
Me: Have you no way of publicising better that its Orkney produce, or not as the case may be? Can't you put it in containers that say its Orkney milk, or even put a sticker alongside the cryptic code so the public can figure it out without needing an Enigma machine?
Supervisor: Nope.
Me: OK. Right, where do you keep the Orkney butter?
Supervisor: We don't. Our butter mainly comes from New Zealand

ducati
13-Feb-11, 11:32
I did once in the old Tesco on a "fact finding mission". Don't worry, the wallet stayed firmly in pocket!

Conversation:.......

Interested to know where the shelf stacker and supervisor was from?

orkneycadian
13-Feb-11, 11:38
Not sure on that one either. The Shelf stacker simply replied "dunno" and the supervisor wouldn't let me check the code tattooed on her a**e.....

lindsaymcc
13-Feb-11, 12:02
I do most of my shopping in Lidl or Tesco. I will buy from the butchers occasionally, and from Johnstons Bakers occasionally. I always use the fish shop on the harbour though - pre-packed fish is vile.

I agree, without people supporting local businesses they will eventually fold, but I still think there are a lot of people that do use the local shops. My Gran for one uses Johnstons bakers, Harolds butchers , Bews newsagents and the fish shop in town every week. She doesnt drive, so has little other option, but she also has the money to do it!

£1.80 for 6 rolls from Johnstons or £1 for 12 from Tesco?! When you are a family living on a tight budget (because despite looking I cant find work, and my husband is disabled) sometimes you just have to do what you can to get by.

orkneycadian
13-Feb-11, 12:07
I do most of my shopping in Lidl or Tesco.
(because despite looking I cant find work......)

Some day, folk will comprehend the connection.....

lindsaymcc
13-Feb-11, 12:12
Yes, the connection being if you have the money you can buy from local shops because they are more expensive.

My gran is very well off and can afford to support all the local shops, I however cant, so will go where I can get things cheapest.

So shoot me - but I will not bankrupt myself to support local shops.

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-11, 12:13

Oh my god! What is up with you? Are you just trying to be a horrible person? Or does it come naturally!

orkneycadian
13-Feb-11, 12:17
In general my dears, in general.....

So you go to Johnstons the bakers to ask for a job. "Sorry" they say, no jobs here. Perhaps even a suggestion that they are having to scale back, as so many folk now buy their bread from Tesco's. "Aha!" you think, there must therefore be demand for bakers at Tesco. So you go there to ask for a bakers job. Alas, no, it seems that they pre-make all the bread in a mega factory in England, then just shove it in an automated oven in the shop to finish it off. Result, unemployed bakers in Caithness, Orkney, Reading, wherever (unless the mega bakery is in Reading! ;))

lindsaymcc
13-Feb-11, 12:21
But I really dont think the local "food" shops are doing too bad at all. Each time I have been into Johnstons or Reids or Harolds, there has always been other customers in the shop. Johnstons last week was very busy, both in the cafe area and at the counter. The same can be said for the fishmongers.

sids
13-Feb-11, 12:22
So you go to Johnstons the bakers)

Interesting example. Have you checked out their selection of fresh bread after 11am?

orkneycadian
13-Feb-11, 12:24
So back to post #1 on this thread. Why was the street like a ghost town yesterday?

sids
13-Feb-11, 12:26
It was cold.

theone
13-Feb-11, 12:27

Do you think there are less retail jobs in Wick now since Tescos arrival or more?

Because when the plan was first submitted it was seen as a great jobs boost to the area.

Add to that the good better rates of pay, better terms and conditions and company pension schemes I would suggest your assumptions are wrong.

theone
13-Feb-11, 12:29
Interesting example. Have you checked out their selection of fresh bread after 11am?

Exactly.

A great example.

Companies not moving with the times and giving the customer what they want.

And then some expect us to feel sorry for them and subsidise their failing businesses "for the good of the town".

lindsaymcc
13-Feb-11, 12:31
So back to post #1 on this thread. Why was the street like a ghost town yesterday?

Because the rugby was on?!

The most people I saw yesterday where actually at Naver footy pitch - couldnt move for the amount of cars!

I was in town on Thursday and it was very busy. Maybe those who use the local shops use them during the week? Makes sense really doesnt it? If you work 9-5 mon-fri, you want quick and easy shopping so as not to use up too much in the way of your "time off" by walking around the shops?

orkneycadian
13-Feb-11, 12:31
So again, back to post #1 in this thread (asides from Sids suggestion!). Why was Thurso's street deserted yesterday.

And do you count folk in the supply chain as being in "retail" as well? i.e. the non customer facing staff. The bakers, the farmers, the fishermen, etc?

I was under the impression from previous threads that there was a bit of a jobs crisis over there. Seems I was mistaken, and you have a booming economy thanks to the supermarkets!

theone
13-Feb-11, 12:32

Because people CHOSE not to be there.

People made a CHOICE to be elsewhere.

I remember an earlier post from you when you said 30000 people walked through the doors of Tesco in Orkney when it opened. How many of those people were forced in?

Yet you persist that these 30000 people are wrong and that you are right.

theone
13-Feb-11, 12:35
So again, back to post #1 in this thread (asides from Sids suggestion!). Why was Thurso's street deserted yesterday.

And do you count folk in the supply chain as being in "retail" as well? i.e. the non customer facing staff. The bakers, the farmers, the fishermen, etc?

I was under the impression from previous threads that there was a bit of a jobs crisis over there. Seems I was mistaken, and you have a booming economy thanks to the supermarkets!

Again, it was deserted because people didn't want to be there.

Perhaps they are not all in the retail trade, but I'd be willing there are more retail RELATED jobs in Wick than before.

Yes, there might be a job shortage in Caithness but that is more down to the rundown of Dounreay and current economic conditions than Tesco.

I haven't heard of any farms downsizing their workforce and I'm sure the reduction in fishermen over the last several decades is a lot more to do with modern fishing policy and practices than Tesco.

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-11, 12:44
i was down the street yesterday and it wasnt that dead though. :confused

I went to Serendipity for 9v Batteries. £3.50 per battery, i can get them on ebay for £2.10 for 2 of them (which i needed) and thats free delivery. I paid the price in Serendipity for the fact my step son needed batteries for his new toy.

Why spend so much down the town if we can get it elsewhere cheaper? I already know about the "support local business" thing. I do to an extent. But never again will i buy clothing out of Butresses or Mcallans. Why pay up to £100 for a jacket or pair of jeans i can get online for a quarter of the price?

Is it just not that simple? We cant afford to shop in our town anymore. :( At least 95% of my shopping is done online. And yes, i shop at Tesco every week.

theone
13-Feb-11, 12:49
Why spend so much down the town if we can get it elsewhere cheaper?

Why pay up to £100 for a jacket or pair of jeans i can get online for a quarter of the price?

At least 95% of my shopping is done online.

Exactly.

Shopping methods, shopping attitudes and shopping prefrences are changing.

I'm pretty sure you are in the majority Shelly, but the minority continue to try to shout their case louder.

lindsaymcc
13-Feb-11, 12:54
I hear you! Shame a lot of others dont!

bekisman
13-Feb-11, 13:18
My Great Grandmother would always support local stores - well supermarkets were rare, so of course back in 1919, it was mostly market stalls, Orkneycadian would certainly support that?
Anyway she'd use young Jack Cohen's stall in Hackney, And by sheer hard work Jack beavered away and by 1939, Cohen owned a hundred Tesco stores (they were his you see) he created the Tesco brand name from the initials of a tea supplier; T. E. Stockwell and the first two letters of his surname..

So you had better be careful Orkneycadian just using those little outlets on Orkney, you never know what might happen, as supporting "your local [Cohen] shops" - they grow and grow and grow and grow!

Corrie 3
13-Feb-11, 14:19
I hear you! Shame a lot of others dont!
I'm not listening....I have my ears covered up!!!!!!

C3......:roll:;)

Ricco
13-Feb-11, 14:48

Conversation:

Me: Excuse me, is this generically packaged milk, Orkney Milk?
Shelf stacker: Dunno
Me: Is it possible to find out
Shelf stacker: I'll get a supervisor
Supervisor: I think so - but I would need to look up a code on the side of it to see for sure.
Me: OK, if you changed to another supplier next week, how would we know?
Supervisor: The codes on the side would be different
Me: So what codes are for what supplier?
Supervisor: Oh I don't know, I would need to look it up on the computer.
Me: Have you no way of publicising better that its Orkney produce, or not as the case may be? Can't you put it in containers that say its Orkney milk, or even put a sticker alongside the cryptic code so the public can figure it out without needing an Enigma machine?
Supervisor: Nope.
Me: OK. Right, where do you keep the Orkney butter?
Supervisor: We don't. Our butter mainly comes from New Zealand

Obviously your local Tesco employs 'no-brainers'. LOL

All our local Tescos stock locally sourced millk as well as the usual stuff; the local milk is labelled as such and it even says which farm. Likewise with the butter.

Seems to me like your Tesco supermarket is not getting enough pressure. See if you can gets loads of people to go in there and insist that they want local stuff as a choice. Suggest that maybe the manager would like to have a fact finding evening where he invites the local public to come and express their views.

golach
13-Feb-11, 14:54

Have sailed with a few Orkadians like you, tight!!!!!!! [lol]

gunnlass
13-Feb-11, 15:36
[QUOTE]I went to Serendipity for 9v Batteries. £3.50 per battery, i can get them on ebay for £2.10 for 2 of them (which i needed) and thats free delivery. I paid the price in Serendipity for the fact my step son needed batteries for his new toy.[QUOTE] Did you not try Semi Chem or even Tescos in Thurso that seems awful dear for a 9 volt battery.

gleeber
13-Feb-11, 16:25
Shopping methods, shopping attitudes and shopping prefrences are changing.
That's right. Everythings always changing and adapting. Us too. It's scary.

teddybear1873
13-Feb-11, 16:26
Sorry to say, but I worry for the younger generation in Caithness. Even though I haven't been there in 2 years, it seemed to be eerie quiet and dire in Thurso. Caithness is a haven for the older generation but not for the youngsters. My 2 older old kids find it very difficult to get a job there, then I have 2 younger ones who I worry about. What's it going to be like living in Caithness in 15-20 years?

Yes I'm sure there is jobs there but we all know Caithness is not the place it was 25-30 years ago. I left school on a Friday and go a job on Monday (1983) Between the recession and internet shopping, Caithness has been badly affected.

If something big doesn't happen in the near future for Caithness, I honestly feel it will be more of a ghost town than it is now.

I hope I'm wrong.

canadagirl
13-Feb-11, 16:46
About 5 years ago now I bought a nice shiney new TV online for £950, delivered to my door. Unfortunately, I forgot to order an HDMI cable so went to a local electrical shop for one, too impatient to order one online. £45 for a cable that I could have got for half that at a major retailer. At the same time, the shop assistant, just back from his lunch when the shop had been shut, was telling an elderly couple of the amazing deal he was offering. A £1700 TV for £1400. Guess what, it was the same telly I'd just recieved.

I went to Serendipity for 9v Batteries. £3.50 per battery, i can get them on ebay for £2.10 for 2 of them (which i needed) and thats free delivery. I paid the price in Serendipity for the fact my step son needed batteries for his new toy.

If you do the majority of your shopping online you cannot expect local shops to have what you need when you need it for the same price! The simple fact is local shops have to pay more for shipping and the goods themselves.

sandyr1
13-Feb-11, 17:04

Yes so true...the only thing constant is change..What I saw in Thurso not too long ago was at about 5pm all the 'safety jackets', thus showing the impact Dounreay has on the Community.
But small business, good ones that is, should survive. As a boy I remember my Mother ordering 'stuff' from catalogues, so I am sure that has just been a way of life.....
And yes the large chains can buy in bulk and their prices are lower, but they are also open longer hours...Recently in Wick and Thurso, some stores opened at 9am...closed for lunch for an hour(if you were lucky), and then closed at 5pm. And half day on Wed.

An example of prices.....A local shop was selling Cheap Water Guns for 9 pounds 99 p......Here they were in the $ store for guess what, 99 cents. I took particular notice and the make and quality was the same..So perhaps the large relailers can buy cheaper, but I think that is a bit much!

Our small communities went thru what is happening in Caithness, and many are still with us.. Service with a smile and personal touch is also important!
The biggest issue I fear is the lack of good jobs....we had quite a Thread on here some time ago about same....got a wee bitty complicated....some people hated a Mannie!!!!

gleeber
13-Feb-11, 17:06
I hope I'm wrong.
Aye me too. [lol]

theone
13-Feb-11, 17:08
If you do the majority of your shopping online you cannot expect local shops to have what you need when you need it for the same price! The simple fact is local shops have to pay more for shipping and the goods themselves.

True, and I wouldn't argue with that.

But the point I was making is that I, as a consumer, should have the right to buy my goods from anyone willing to sell them to me.

Calls for blocking new shop building applications based purely on the effect they will have on these smaller shops goes against the ethos of fair competition.

And before anybody says it's not fair competition because Tesco can buy in bulk, nothing ever stopped these small businesses expanding into those of the scale of Tesco. The fact that they've stayed small, failing to adapt to the consumers chosen shopping methods, should not be to the detriment of the consumer.

sandyr1
13-Feb-11, 17:11
Have sailed with a few Orkadians like you, tight!!!!!!! [lol]

So nicely put Mr G....nice!

gleeber
13-Feb-11, 17:15
some people hated a Mannie!!!!
Was that poor Donald Trump? Poor mannie, he canna do nothing right.
Jobs was always a worry although I was lucky during my working life.
Its more worrying at the moment because of the inncessant reporting in the media about how difficult things are going to get. All that kinda talk has an effect on everybody.

sandyr1
13-Feb-11, 17:24
Was that poor Donald Trump? Poor mannie, he canna do nothing right.
Jobs was always a worry although I was lucky during my working life.
Its more worrying at the moment because of the inncessant reporting in the media about how difficult things are going to get. All that kinda talk has an effect on everybody.

A canna say e name....trouble.....

I think much of what is going on is being leaked to the Media.....It's the same all over....The Gov't says it is going to get bad, real bad...and then when the issue is dealt with, it isn't as bad as what was anticipated, thus the Gov't looks good.
We had a similar issue...First our Sales Tax...(your VAT) was going to be... say 10%..reported that way and people were up in arms.....well then when it is put in place it is 7% and we all breathe a sigh of relief....wow that isn't as bad as we thought.....
It seems that a similar thing is happening with the Police...The Gov't has been saying that there will be Major cuts...We then get all prepared for these and then they reduce the cuts and perhaps everyone is not happy but it is better than envisaged.....Just another game.

But the Jobs situation is the real problem, as you say..... That means many people will end up leaving...very sad.

ducati
13-Feb-11, 22:39
Must take issue with a few posts here. First, suppliers are falling over themselves to sell to supermarkets so it can't be that bad an idea.

Local produce works both ways, you can buy Orkney Cheese in every Tesco the length and breadth of the uk.

And finally, supermarkets have been around since 1948. Get over it!

Vistravi
13-Feb-11, 23:12
Sorry to say, but I worry for the younger generation in Caithness. Even though I haven't been there in 2 years, it seemed to be eerie quiet and dire in Thurso. Caithness is a haven for the older generation but not for the youngsters. My 2 older old kids find it very difficult to get a job there, then I have 2 younger ones who I worry about. What's it going to be like living in Caithness in 15-20 years?

Yes I'm sure there is jobs there but we all know Caithness is not the place it was 25-30 years ago. I left school on a Friday and go a job on Monday (1983) Between the recession and internet shopping, Caithness has been badly affected.

If something big doesn't happen in the near future for Caithness, I honestly feel it will be more of a ghost town than it is now.

I hope I'm wrong.

I agree with you that caithness is more for the older generation.

To be honest the way things are going i would not be surprised if in 15 -20 years the place is an absoulte ghost town, nothing but houses. With dounreay decommissioning and having a set time for it it doesn't seem unlikely that caithness is going to thrive and become better than the current state.

LMS
14-Feb-11, 00:02
It was doom and gloom when I started at Dounreay twenty years ago, PFR was shutting down and people were taking early severance every March. Things aren't much different now from what I can see. The place will ramp down at some stage but will it be as quick as planned? If if is, it will be the only job on time that I have seen there.

What has changed in Caithness is that people, men in particular, need to go away to work. No big deal, the missus gets the king size bed to herself and peace to watch Corrie and Casualty. My great-grandfather used to travel all over with the herring. You can't always get work on your doorstep.

David from Stockport
14-Feb-11, 20:40
Aye things evolve and town centres are no different ,my local town centre in Stockport used to be buzzing 7 days a week but now its realy run down ,the carpets in M+S held together with masking tape -non of the retailers there want to spend money on it ,the only people who shop there mon-fri are the elderly and unemployed just hanging around ,the centre was built 40 yrs ago but now its not fit for purpose ,the delivery lorries serving the shops are bigger and cannot navigate the service yards for a start and its ugly and depressing and what parking there is is costly ,folks now go to the Trafford Centre ,park for free its indoor ,bars,resterants,20 screen cinema etc -well worth a day out .
The internet has even effected the stores in modern centres like that as now every retailer has to have a "multi-channel offering" ie bricks and motor + internet.
Thurso centre will evolve it will never stay the same ,it does look grim and does not have much reason to visit -If you look at an example of a local Thurso shop that has an online presence look at Jim Bews the newsagent but last I looked on his site it was very poor ,but if you use them as an example if they got a decent transactional site and say for eg started doing books and gifts of Northern Scotland and selling online to the world the shop could thrive but shops have to evolve.
To look at Thurso town centre it needs to be bulldozered and something put in its place .

bagpuss
15-Feb-11, 00:02
Oh here we go again. Try this for a thought- if you were a shopkeeper struggling to make a single wage for working all hours, with the reward of one or two 'window shoppers' dropping in for a blether- but not spending money, you'd possibly decide the time had come to call it a day and take a job in tesco yourself

tesco et al are great- they do provide a service, but a small county is a small county and there is only so much money to go round. When that drops to benefit money- and everyone is desperate not to get into debt, big chains won't hang around to make a loss.

David from Stockport
15-Feb-11, 09:17
everything evolves -ive been in retail 30 years and want to be for the next 30 but u have to evolves ,like ive said in previous threads it my dream to open a small card/gift shop in the North Scotland (after years of working for others) but I know the footfall alone there will not keep me in business as shopping habits change -hense why ive started to sell cards online first (as well as a full-time job in a big store) becouse a bricks and mortar shop on its own is no good . So I work 60+ hrs a week cos I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth .

20 years ago football clubs made there money thru the turnstyle - now its Sky tv money

where are all the video shops now ? people download - the list is endless

things evolve and we have to evolve with them -stand still and we fail!

theone
15-Feb-11, 10:45
20 years ago football clubs made there money thru the turnstyle - now its Sky tv money

where are all the video shops now ? people download - the list is endless

things evolve and we have to evolve with them -stand still and we fail!

So true, and I'm sure there are more examples, like football, outside retail.

onecalledk
15-Feb-11, 16:46
I have commented plenty of times about tesco and supermarkets taking over the shopping habits where they are built. People need to start looking beyond the "price" of food in these supermarkets. Tesco price according to square footage of the store so goods sold in smaller tesco supermarkets are higher priced than in huge tesco supermarkets. Again tesco order and sell food directly related to how much is sold, manager in tesco in wick told me they had it down to the exact amount of tins of beans they sell. So watch the new tesco in Thurso (when it eventually opens)to start narrowing down the choice of foods that you can buy, slowly of course so you wont really notice until you go to buy your favourite food and its not there. Tescos response will be the distance from Inverness that the store is. There are plenty of products available in dingwall tesco that are just not sold up here due to the distance!!!

Supermarkets pretend to be your friend whilst all the while robbing your pockets, remember this whilst trapsing through the store and you can play the game but forget this and watch your choices disappear.

We may well have all succumbed to the price driving our consumption of goods and the internet has of course helped this but the only way to change this is buy changing your shopping habits. This is where it falls down for people wont look past the price of goods. You have to look at quality of the product not just the price!

Tesco may well have 3 for 2 offers or buy one get one free but they dictate what goods are on these offers, any healthy good for you foods? any foods that families have that are staples in these offers ? not usually. Tesco offer a lot of these offers of high sugar, high fat, nutritionally absent foods. Seems a bargain? not really if you look at what you are buying.

As a nation we consume empty food and we are not very aware of what we eat either, a recent article on the news was eye opening when they asked shoppers in a supermarket which fruit and veg was in season. One woman started talking about pineapples, erm we are in the uk ......

We have become a nation of sheep, herded by the need to conserve money (cos there is a recession on, the news tells us so) and to buy as MUCH as we can in one trip to the shops. A far cry from decades ago when shopping was done a few times a week with food being bought AS NEEDED.

A wee question for peeps on here, how many of you after shopping at tesco use ALL of the food that you buy? How many of you have noticed food going off before sell by dates or find yourself chucking out food that was bought "on a deal" after you didnt get round to using it.

Supermarkets fool us into believing they have all our requirements covered. They sell WHAT THEY DECIDE IS BEST FOR US. That is important, the customer is NOT in control in a supermarket, the advertising signs, the product placement, the offers , all designed to make you buy more whether you need it or not.

K

theone
15-Feb-11, 17:35
A good post K, and I understand where you're coming from on many points.

But as for fooling us into believing what is good, what is cheap, removing our choice etc etc, I'm not so sure.

Why would supermarkets deliberately limit consumer choice? I do believe they won't stock products which don't sell, but what's the benefit in doing it with lines that do? It's nothing to do with distance. It takes the same amount of lorries the same amount of time and fuel to deliver one tin of soup as another. I'm pretty sure Tesco would like to maximise the amount of deliveries they have to make a week, as the more they sell, the more they make.

You use the term "robbing your pocket". How exactly does that work? I see the price on the shelf, if I like it I pay it. Nobody's forcing me in the door or throwing anything in my trolley.

I wouldn't deny for a second that we, as a nation, eat quite poorly, but I wouldn't say that was down to the supermarkets.

Times have changed. The days of mother staying home, doing a shop in the morning then cooking a nutritious meal in the afternoon in time for parents and hubby coming home are gone. The "rat race", "keeping up with the Jones's" etc has meant two wage families are now the norm.

Supermarkets are the RESULT of these changing ways of life, providing the convenience required, not the CAUSE.

As for quality of goods, I agree that with some products, meat, fish, even veg you can probably get better quality elsewhere, but I think most people know that too. I would, however, imagine that the majority of goods sold in Tesco are named products for sale in every food shop in Britain. Kellogs, Heinz, Unilever etc, so regardless of where you shop for these things you get the same quality.

Again, I'll agree with you that we throw too much away, too much waste etc but that is the result of modern ways, you can't blame Tesco for you not planning properly.

Id do appreciate where you are coming from, and I do think modern society could learn a lot from looking back, but I wouldn't blame the supermarkets for that.

bekisman
15-Feb-11, 17:47
Interesting - I see you mention 'whipping boy' Tesco, does your post also apply to Co-Op, Haldanes?

I think you're making a presumption not justified in stating: 1. We have become a nation of sheep, 2. Supermarkets fool us into believing they have all our requirements covered and. 3. Supermarkets pretend to be your friend whilst all the while robbing your pockets..
I think the vast majority are old enough and wise enough to be aware of any 'dangers' - what the heck did we have up here before the supermarkets? I am certainly awake and bright enough to know if I'm being ripped -off or not..

In the big wide world 'dawn south' most of what you've got are supermarkets where 'one-stop shopping' is possible.. some may have ample time to wander around a dozen shops (if they are open lunchtimes) exchanging pleasantries.. but 'fraid with four kids to feed, it was a bee line to the stores..
I see you live in Castletown and obviously stick to your local stores and under no circumstances use Tesco/Co-op/Haldanes in either Wick or Thurso?

ShelleyCowie
15-Feb-11, 18:00
Im sorry K but Tesco in comparison to other supermarkets, is cheaper. They dont force us to buy anything.

I literally can not afford to shop elsewhere. The rare times i go to the Coop i can spend £30 on just a couple of items, now that makes me feel ripped off! Also considering the fact not many of their staff can smile but thats not the point here.

If tesco has an offer on (example) buy 3 get cheapest one free for cereal, there is an offer that i will make use of! We go through a large box of cereal within days. No bother. So that deal is suited and its something i would buy.

I cant afford the brand name foods most the time. If there is a cheaper alternative then i will buy it, with exception to baby things (food, nappies, jars etc etc)

So tell me, why would i shop somewhere else that could cost me double my spending limit?

Just to say i feed 6 mouths so my budget stays tight and i shop for bargains!

theone
15-Feb-11, 18:13

But not, it would seem, the poor small business owners in Thurso, shut at lunchtime, shut at 5.30 and shut on Sunday.

Homebase has been a godsend for me as I do a lot of DIY. There's nothing worse than starting a job on a Sunday morning only to run out of screws or glue or paint. The 40 mile round trip is worth it to get the job done rather than wating 24 hours.

The Music Monster
15-Feb-11, 18:53
A wee question for peeps on here, how many of you after shopping at tesco use ALL of the food that you buy? How many of you have noticed food going off before sell by dates or find yourself chucking out food that was bought "on a deal" after you didnt get round to using it.

Absolutely none! Wasted food does not exist in this house!!!

You seem to have a damning view on the poorer people... But hey! They do exist!!! I think it is a bit harsh to call people sheep because the national minimum wage will not allow them to frequent the local high street shops.

oldmarine
15-Feb-11, 19:46
Sad to read about Thurso, my favorite town in Caithness. I also enjoyed Castletown but don't see too much on line about it.

onecalledk
15-Feb-11, 20:02
Absolutely none! Wasted food does not exist in this house!!!

You seem to have a damning view on the poorer people... But hey! They do exist!!! I think it is a bit harsh to call people sheep because the national minimum wage will not allow them to frequent the local high street shops.

hmm nowhere in my post did I have a comment about people and their wealth. I am well aware that times are hard for people and not everyone has "extra" money available. What I was drawing attention to was the "special" offers that supermarkets tempt people with on the 3 for 2, people buy thinking they will use the "extra" one but usually dont .....

This is also not about frequenting local high street shops. Having moved north from Inverness I have seen the price of goods just rise and rise. In fact on a trip back from Aberdeenshire last week it was interesting to see the price of petrol keep rising the further west and north I travelled. I used to live in the central belt and the prices there were cheaper than Inverness etc etc .

This post is about the way people are manipulated by the supermarkets whos sole aim is to make you part with cash. EVerything from the colours used on the walls , to the positioning of food will tempt the pennies out of your pocket, supermarkets spend a fortune on the psychology of buying....

It is atrocious that many people in the 21st century have to live on a poor diet because the price of nutritious food is priced outwith their reach. Personally I would tax all high sugar foods in an effort to address the health problems in this country. An apple SHOULD be far cheaper than a box of donuts for example but is frequently not. BUt thats another discussion about governments and policies .....

K

theone
15-Feb-11, 20:12
This post is about the way people are manipulated by the supermarkets whos sole aim is to make you part with cash. EVerything from the colours used on the walls , to the positioning of food will tempt the pennies out of your pocket, supermarkets spend a fortune on the psychology of buying....

K

But isn't ANY business, certainly retail, trying to make you part with your cash?

That's business! Try to make as much as possible. Stock what people want at a price they'll pay and see your profits rise.

I'm not sure I understand your persistance with attacks on supermarkets.Why not pubs that advertise, or clothes shops etc? Is it just the scale of the supermarkets, in terms of success and power you don't like?

Do you hold the same contempt for Buttresses when they offer 3 shirts for the price of 2? What about Skinandis when they let the groom in for free on his stag night? Marketing is good business.

I understand your concerns about health, but again, I think you're blaming the supermarkets for society's problems rather than society for the existence of supermarkets.

The Music Monster
15-Feb-11, 20:59
hmm nowhere in my post did I have a comment about people and their wealth.

I really didn't want to step onto my well worn soap box, but...

... People need to start looking beyond the "price" of food in these supermarkets...

We may well have all succumbed to the price driving our consumption of goods ... This is where it falls down for people wont look past the price of goods. You have to look at quality of the product not just the price!

We have become a nation of sheep, herded by the need to conserve money...

Sorry, I must have misunderstood all the bits I've quoted above where you talked about price and money! A lot of people cannot look beyond the "price" of food (I'm not quite sure why you put inverted commas there, but it must have had a reason, so I've put them in too) because they literally cannot afford to!

This is also not about frequenting local high street shops.
This was the point, I thought, we were discussing the empty high street in Thurso.

Sadly, we do have to pay to eat, and like it or not Tesco's is a cheaper alternative to anywhere else in Caithness. I'm with theone on this, business is business. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you sell things from your website, and you have thought carefully about your web design and wording.

As for the poor diet argument, I appreciate what you are saying, but quite honestly I totally disagree that it has anything to do with supermarkets' offers. There are offers on nutritious and healthy foods as well as unhealthy foods - it's up to the individual to hunt them out.

And as I mentioned earlier in this thread... A bit of willpower is all that is required to resist the unhealthy and surplus foods:)!!!

bekisman
15-Feb-11, 21:16
hmm nowhere in my post did I have a comment about people and their wealth. I am well aware that times are hard for people and not everyone has "extra" money available. What I was drawing attention to was the "special" offers that supermarkets tempt people with on the 3 for 2, people buy thinking they will use the "extra" one but usually dont .....

This is also not about frequenting local high street shops. Having moved north from Inverness I have seen the price of goods just rise and rise. In fact on a trip back from Aberdeenshire last week it was interesting to see the price of petrol keep rising the further west and north I travelled. I used to live in the central belt and the prices there were cheaper than Inverness etc etc .

It is atrocious that many people in the 21st century have to live on a poor diet because the price of nutritious food is priced outwith their reach. Personally I would tax all high sugar foods in an effort to address the health problems in this country. An apple SHOULD be far cheaper than a box of donuts for example but is frequently not. BUt thats another discussion about governments and policies .....

K
I can assure you that when I buy 3 for 2, it's something that I want and use and it's never wasted.. if anyone buys stuff without looking (as you hint) then they are idiots. Are there really people who are 'taken in' by these bargains and end up throwing it in the bin? if I have too much (at a bargain price) I freeze it, be it bread, milk..
You mention fuel, were you here in 2004?. Let me quote: "Arval said that in February 2004, the average price of unleaded petrol was 76.88p per litre. The cheapest was to be found in Thanet, Kent, at an average price of 70.80p, while the most expensive was Thurso in Caithness at an average price of 85.90p."*1 almost 10p a litre mark on the average? Makes one wonder what the rip-off price would be today, without the unmentionable store at Wick! Whoops forgot to say it's 5p a litre off time again..

"This post is about the way people are manipulated by the supermarkets" Manipulated? Hell no, it's not manipulation, it's called "good business practice" - it is a B U S I N E S S, just like anyone; they want to make money, just like Beggs with it's TV's as mentioned by another poster - All I can say is, if your willpower is unable to resist their allure, well...

Don't know where you buy your apples, but I can get one for less than a box of donuts! (Tesco today: Braeburn 28p, Granny Smiths 26p)...

Dog-eared
15-Feb-11, 22:41
A can of beer in the wee shop in Stromness is cheaper than in Caithness supermarkets.
A pint of beer in the pub is cheaper too.

Why is beer cheaper in Orkney? It's further away from the brewers plus there's the ferry fee !

Caithness has been ripped off on the back of the Dounreay worker, big spender thing for too long now.

sids
15-Feb-11, 23:15
Why is beer cheaper in Orkney? .

Because they drink so much?

Bazeye
15-Feb-11, 23:16
Nobody's forcing me in the door or throwing anything in my trolley.

I've been known to place the odd "surprise" item into an unsuspecting shoppers trolley in the past.

Tubthumper
15-Feb-11, 23:37
Sad to read about Thurso, my favorite town in Caithness. I also enjoyed Castletown but don't see too much on line about it.
Why Oldmarine, please don't despair
Your favourite place is fine
The current 'Up For Sale' signs are
Just latest in long line

The County is in peril sure
Same as it's always been
But stories 'bout impending death
Oft times before we've seen

For twenty long and happy years
I've stuck my roots in peat
And many hours my scrawny butt
Has spent in Top Joes seat

Although today my liver's shot
My eyes are getting misted
The bladder's lost capacity
And back is getting twisted

I'm sticking here, and many like me
Even if we must
Work overseas or far away
In Caithness we will trust

Perhaps our town is suffering
And neds are multiplying
But that won't stop us making do
Or for improvement trying

And though it makes us roll our eyes
Too often toes are curled
It's just a wee adjustment in
The way of modern world

Nay-sayers, doomsmiths, shakey-headers
Those who cry it's bad
It's never been much different sure
So please stop being sad

Poor Oldmarine's all worried and
He's losing sleep o'er there
Why must we disturb brave owld bloke
And cause him loss of hair?

golach
15-Feb-11, 23:41
Tubs, once again your poetic prowess has come come to the fore, you are surely the modern day "Castlegreen" :D

oldmarine
15-Feb-11, 23:47
Why Oldmarine, please don't despair
Your favourite place is fine
The current 'Up For Sale' signs are
Just latest in long line

The County is in peril sure
Same as it's always been
But stories 'bout impending death
Oft times before we've seen

For twenty long and happy years
I've stuck my roots in peat
And many hours my scrawny butt
Has spent in Top Joes seat

Although today my liver's shot
My eyes are getting misted
The bladder's lost capacity
And back is getting twisted

I'm sticking here, and many like me
Even if we must
Work overseas or far away
In Caithness we will trust

Perhaps our town is suffering
And neds are multiplying
But that won't stop us making do
Or for improvement trying

And though it makes us roll our eyes
Too often toes are curled
It's just a wee adjustment in
The way of modern world

Nay-sayers, doomsmiths, shakey-headers
Those who cry it's bad
It's never been much different sure
So please stop being sad

Poor Oldmarine's all worried and
He's losing sleep o'er there
Why must we disturb brave owld bloke
And cause him loss of hair?

Tubthumper: You're quite the poet, but your feet don't show it.
Not losing sleep about things over there,
there's enough to fret about things over here.
As for losing hair,
I do that ever month when I hand the clippers to my wife
and she does the job quite fair.

onecalledk
16-Feb-11, 11:09
perhaps its because caithness has one supermarket, ie tesco and its still a bit of a novelty that it is defended so much. in other areas where supermarkets have gone it has changed the spending pattern then just sat back. Tesco have NOT done you a favour moving in here, they didnt sit down and think aha those poor people in the north of scotland havent got some cheap food so lets open there. Thats NOT how tesco think.

Before anyone else has a go about me picking on tesco, i am not it just so happens that its the ONLY supermarket up here. The co op cannot be classed as a supermarket cos its just too small with little choice of products.

If you had ASDA up here you might get competititon for a while, then who ever won the "war" on shoppers could stock what they liked.

it seems that the people of caithness feel almost humble that tesco should somehow come and let them have a supermarket. In other parts of the country there are backlashes against the big supermarkets and rightly so.

Yes they sell cheap food, yes they sell a lot of it and yes they put rivals out of business, the consumer will lose in the long run.

Someone asked why i put price in inverted comments, precisely for the point I make. Yes Caithness has high prices so of course you may run into the supermakets when they offer cheaper food and products but there is always a higher price to pay in the long run as other parts of the country are finding out .....

Wonder what peoples views on tesco will be in say 4 yrs time after they have been here for a while longer.

Inverness was grateful for a huge tesco a long time ago, now of course there is nothing in inverness BUT tesco, yes there is morrisons who are clinging on by their teeth, so am I jaded by tesco, yes because they are not the big friendly supermarket that people up here seem to think they are .....

K

sandyr1
16-Feb-11, 12:55
[QUOTE=onecalledk;820072]perhaps its because caithness has one supermarket, ie tesco and its still a bit of a novelty that it is defended so much. in other areas where supermarkets have gone it has changed the spending pattern then just sat back. Tesco have NOT done you a favour moving in here, they didnt sit down and think aha those poor people in the north of scotland havent got some cheap food so lets open there. Thats NOT how tesco think.

Competition is the name of the game.....Perhaps in 4 years things will have levelled out and everyone will be living in Harmony..I mean the stores.
Competition brings the prices down....and good shops will survive...they always do.
And these large Companies and the small Companies are not really there to provide a product. The huge Nationals are there to make a profit, and to pay a Dividend to their shareholders...the small independant shops are there to make living for the shopkeeper....and some people have become rich on the backs of others.
These things will sort themselves out!
Just take the one example that I know of......the comparison.....A 99 cent Water Gun....Selling in Caithness for 9 pounds 99 pence! And tell me these stores in Caithness were providing a friendly service to u!

bekisman
16-Feb-11, 13:32
perhaps its because caithness has one supermarket, ie tesco and its still a bit of a novelty that it is defended so much. in other areas where supermarkets have gone it has changed the spending pattern then just sat back. Tesco have NOT done you a favour moving in here, they didnt sit down and think aha those poor people in the north of scotland havent got some cheap food so lets open there. Thats NOT how tesco think.

Before anyone else has a go about me picking on tesco, i am not it just so happens that its the ONLY supermarket up here. The co op cannot be classed as a supermarket cos its just too small with little choice of products.

If you had ASDA up here you might get competititon for a while, then who ever won the "war" on shoppers could stock what they liked.

it seems that the people of caithness feel almost humble that tesco should somehow come and let them have a supermarket. In other parts of the country there are backlashes against the big supermarkets and rightly so.

Yes they sell cheap food, yes they sell a lot of it and yes they put rivals out of business, the consumer will lose in the long run.

Someone asked why i put price in inverted comments, precisely for the point I make. Yes Caithness has high prices so of course you may run into the supermakets when they offer cheaper food and products but there is always a higher price to pay in the long run as other parts of the country are finding out .....

Wonder what peoples views on tesco will be in say 4 yrs time after they have been here for a while longer.

Inverness was grateful for a huge tesco a long time ago, now of course there is nothing in inverness BUT tesco, yes there is morrisons who are clinging on by their teeth, so am I jaded by tesco, yes because they are not the big friendly supermarket that people up here seem to think they are .....

K
What! just ONE supermarket in Caithness - what the heck are the Co-operative, Lidl and Haldanes? The Tesco in Thurso at the moment is (I'm sure you'll agree) a 'Supermarket' - yet it's the same size as the Co-op! You then compound your mistake by saying co-op's not a supermarket cos its just too small with little choice of products. "Little choice of Products" - Ah the penny drops!

And is still a bit of a novelty. Eh? it opened 27th November 2006 for goodness sake (that's going to be six years in Nov) how long does it take for the 'novelty' value to fade?

"In other parts of the country there are backlashes against the big supermarkets and rightly so." What! Tesco's been up here for six years; ain't seen a backlash yet - Apart from folks telling us we're like sheep and are getting taken in by these wicked companies.. Pah!
"Yes they sell cheap food, yes they sell a lot of it" - Why the hell do you think they 'sell a lot of it'? - you are destroying your own argument. A LOT of folks can't afford the prices at other outlets, so they must be chastised for wise careful frugal spending?
Don't forget before the 'supermarket' came some 8 million quid was spent outwith Caithness - mostly in Inverness.

"Yes there is Morrison's who are clinging on by their teeth" what!, I shop there regularly - it's always busy. 'Morrison's profits leapt to £449 million The chain's 45% increase in pre-tax profits' - Hmm

ASDA's £25 million store at Slackbuie will be opening - is that another supermarket which will be yet another 'unfriendly one'

theone
16-Feb-11, 13:35

Of course that's not the way Tesco think. What they think is "where can we make money". They look on the map, see a gap in the market and move in. The only reason that there's a gap in the market that they want to exploit is because nobody else is giving the majority what they want!

Definately. I think most people up here would love to see an ASDA too. Competition is good for the consumer.

But it sort of turns your argument doesn't it. "Supermarkets are bad" into "let's have two".

Even if this is true, in the short term the consumer is better off.

We will have to rely on the competition commission and their laws to protect us in the long term.

K

I know many people from Inverness, and work with many that live there. They all seem to like Tesco and are happy with it.

Yes they'd like an ASDA too, but that has been blocked so far.

What do you mean there's nothing BUT Tesco.

Many years ago you had the CO-OP and Safeway (Morrisons) as the major supermarkets in Inverness.

Now you have CO-OP, Morrisons, Tesco, LIDL and ALDI.

MORE choice. How can you call that a backward step or, to quote you, "nothing but Tesco".

Yes Tesco hold the majority share of trade in Inverness, but the answer to that, if you see it as a problem, is more supermarkets, not less!

Thumper
16-Feb-11, 13:45
The town is not dying off because of tesco,what utter tripe,there are 3 supermarkets in Thurso and at any time when you are in one of them and have to stand in line for ages waiting to be served,you would know that it is not the supermarkets killing things off! A lot of it is to do with how we can all,more or less, choose to buy things online nowadays rather than have to shop local,but again not the whole reason,I think a lot is the simple fact that people just dont have the extra money now to spend! If we all decided that supermarkets were what is killing our community and started to "shop locally" then the little shops there are would be slated for not having enough choice,bigger shops,more value products ect,at the end of the day some people will never be happy..........x

Eilanboy
16-Feb-11, 15:52

K
My OH shops in Morrisons in Inverness and Alness anytime we are down there as there is much more choice of brands than Tesco have.Could have fooled me that they are clinging on by their teeth.Both places are always very busy and long ques at the petrol points.

onecalledk
16-Feb-11, 16:08
note to self never give an opinion on supermarkets........ touchy subject ......

tiptoes away very quickly .......

K

sandyr1
16-Feb-11, 16:15
[QUOTE=onecalledk;820159]note to self never give an opinion on supermarkets........ touchy subject ......

No...you are correct in certain aspects....they are not here to serve us...they are here to make money....A huge Faceless organization.. at least with the small business person they smile at you whilst you are being ripped off! Long live Week & Thursa!

bekisman
16-Feb-11, 16:56
note to self never give an opinion on supermarkets........ touchy subject ......

tiptoes away very quickly ....... K
I am surprised you keep knocking the supermarkets. Everyone - well almost everyone it seems - know that the Supermarkets are not here to help - they are a business.

As you are yourself.

At the bottom of each of your postings is your website, you are inviting us - the public - to look; It's YOUR business. YOU are a business person, YOU are not doing us "a favour" you are not doing it to "pretend to be our friend - to be nice", YOU are doing it to make money (like others of course).

I read that you are announcing a 3 day workshop in Mey, places are limited. Total course fees are £250.00 I see you sell:
Tigers eye skull necklace at £75.00 Boxed singing bowls at £44.99..(I see I could get deluxe one for £34) But that's beside the point - good to see there is competition.

I see you provide sessions: Colour and sound healing - £30 per session. Crystal Healing - £30 per session. Crystal Therapy via hand chakras*- £30 per session. Crystal Keys Healing** - £40 per session..

Congratulations, YOU are in business to make YOURSELF money.

I am not running you down - it just seems perverse that someone who is in business to make money, complains about someone who is in business to make money?.

Incidentally I do feel that the cost of a three day course, could cover an awful lot of food shopping for a family who may be struggling.. But then who am I?

sandyr1
16-Feb-11, 17:02
I am surprised you keep knocking the supermarkets. Everyone - well almost everyone it seems - know that the Supermarkets are not here to help - they are a business.

As you are yourself.

At the bottom of each of your postings is your website, you are inviting us - the public - to look; It's YOUR business. YOU are a business person, YOU are not doing us "a favour" you are not doing it to "pretend to be our friend - to be nice", YOU are doing it to make money (like others of course).

I read that you are announcing a 3 day workshop in Mey, places are limited. Total course fees are £250.00 I see you sell:
Tigers eye skull necklace at £75.00 Boxed singing bowls at £44.99..(I see I could get deluxe one for £34) But that's beside the point - good to see there is competition.

I see you provide sessions: Colour and sound healing - £30 per session. Crystal Healing - £30 per session. Crystal Therapy via hand chakras*- £30 per session. Crystal Keys Healing** - £40 per session..

Congratulations, YOU are in business to make YOURSELF money.

I am not running you down - it just seems perverse that someone who is in business to make money, complains about someone who is in business to make money?.

Incidentally I do feel that the cost of a three day course, could cover an awful lot of food shopping for a family who may be struggling.. But then who am I?.....

Hear......Here!

canadagirl
16-Feb-11, 17:08

K

I'm with you on this one, but again I don't think logic enters into it. I was recently at the funeral of a small shopkeeper and many people were telling how he had saved them in hard times, and the local police made a speech about how important this centre of the community was in keeping them informed. This was a man who chose this in his retirement and ran the business at a loss in order to keep prices down. Anyone who purchases small amounts from the wholesalers does not get the same prices the big outfits do. I guess it almost comes down to like which religion or charity you support. I will always put money into my own community and am very far from rich.

onecalledk
16-Feb-11, 17:10
A question was posted on the forum, I chose to answer, with my humble opinion and gave my views, if people dont agree with me then fine, if they do then double fine......

to get personal is a bit OTT is it not?

Caithness is community or was before all this arguing broke out about where to shop for milk, it would be a shame to lose this. My business cant really be compared to tesco as the profit they make is immense..... my prices are no higher than others in the same category in other parts of the country and this was done deliberately. I could start on about the cost of shipping goods to this part of the country be fear I will lose the will to live on that one.

Communities are dying out all over the place, time to agree to disagree and preserve what is left of this community ?

K

ducati
16-Feb-11, 17:13
Hey canadagirl, looking forward to meeting you at the curry night:D

This thing that we seem to have, shop in a supermarket or support the local community. Surely the number of local employees the supermarkets have vindicates any shopper in this respect?

bekisman
16-Feb-11, 17:23
Come on OnecalledK where's that earlier post gone that said I needed my anger sorted and should take one of your course?

Anger? anyone on here who know me would be aware that I don't get angry, and I don't dwell on things or let them build up either - very laid back is I.
I was once told I was unperturbable - (had to look that one up, as I'm a bit thick).. No I might be 'enthusiastic', I especially like challenging nonsense - but by no stretch of the imagination am I angry - it's quite amusing really....

Anyway can't afford YOUR £40

bekisman
16-Feb-11, 17:29
A question was posted on the forum, I chose to answer, with my humble opinion and gave my views, if people dont agree with me then fine, if they do then double fine......

to get personal is a bit OTT is it not?

Caithness is community or was before all this arguing broke out about where to shop for milk, it would be a shame to lose this. My business cant really be compared to tesco as the profit they make is immense..... my prices are no higher than others in the same category in other parts of the country and this was done deliberately. I could start on about the cost of shipping goods to this part of the country be fear I will lose the will to live on that one.

Communities are dying out all over the place, time to agree to disagree and preserve what is left of this community ?

K

Sorry K, if I offended, I apologise, we can all give our opinions and views, but I took exception to being classified as a sheep..
The community always changes - Strathy (Baligil) lost it's petrol station decades ago.. some things evolve, some things perish...

onecalledk
16-Feb-11, 17:31
Come on OnecalledK where's that earlier post gone that said I needed my anger sorted and should take one of your course?

Anger? anyone on here who know me would be aware that I don't get angry, and I don't dwell on things or let them build up either - very laid back is I.
I was once told I was unperturbable - (had to look that one up, as I'm a bit thick).. No I might be 'enthusiastic', I especially like challenging nonsense - but by no stretch of the imagination am I angry - it's quite amusing really....

Anyway can't afford YOUR £40

I amended it, if you are not angry then thats fine and dandy, anger is the silent killer after all....... feel free to book any courses that I will be offering at any point, or perhaps I can tempt you with a taster session of various therapies ? or perhaps take me up on my special opening offers ?

Thats the trouble though with "online" things isnt it, if we were in the same room, having this conversation then it would probably have gone very differently. Words can be interpreted so many different ways especially if they are read as opposed to heard....

This moving north (albeit I have been here a while now) was certainly a learning curve .....

K

theone
16-Feb-11, 18:30
My business cant really be compared to tesco as the profit they make is immense..... my prices are no higher than others in the same category in other parts of the country and this was done deliberately. I could start on about the cost of shipping goods to this part of the country be fear I will lose the will to live on that one.

K

The reason Tesco make such a profit is because they are successful. As stated already, Tesco started with a single market stall in London.

Maybe, if you give the public what they want, and you provide this service in the way they want it, you too will be successful. And I genuinely wish you all the best with that.

But I think to have negative views on a company based just on their profit or success is wrong. It would be one thing if their prices were high and we were being ripped off, but they're not, and we're not.

Of course. I'm sure there's more than just me on here who come on for a good debate!

sweetpea
16-Feb-11, 19:43
To go back to the OP asking where everyone shops personally I go round a number of shops for different things butcher, fish shop, Lidl and Co-op. I very rarely go to Tesco because I can get what I need cheaper elsewhere and also because I end up spending a fortune on useless rubbish and CD's/DVD's and clothes which are cheap but don't fit very well. Plus I always feel a bit uncomfortable with Tesco ethics. I don't have much time to shop either, usually run about mad on my lunch break so even the temptation of one big shop with everything under one roof doesn't do it for me. I never buy meat from any supermarket either. I can get a huge delicious chicken from Dingwall in Harrolds for 6 quid that will do 8 meals and I'm happy with that.
Where people shop is up to them, just not Tesco for me.

sandyr1
16-Feb-11, 20:17
Well said.......And I am sure there will be lots more like you in the future!
I am sure that the Public will see thru some of the Loss Leader items and the temptation to buy things one doesn't need, particularly if you have children with you....
Likely one of the more objective statements here so far!

Bazeye
16-Feb-11, 21:41
I very rarely go to Tesco because I can get what I need cheaper elsewhere and also because I end up spending a fortune on useless rubbish and CD's/DVD's and clothes which are cheap but don't fit very well.

And its Tescos fault that you buy useless rubbish?

bekisman
16-Feb-11, 21:45
To go back to the OP asking where everyone shops personally I go round a number of shops for different things butcher, fish shop, Lidl and Co-op. I very rarely go to Tesco because I can get what I need cheaper elsewhere and also because I end up spending a fortune on useless rubbish and CD's/DVD's and clothes which are cheap but don't fit very well. Plus I always feel a bit uncomfortable with Tesco ethics. I don't have much time to shop either, usually run about mad on my lunch break so even the temptation of one big shop with everything under one roof doesn't do it for me. I never buy meat from any supermarket either. I can get a huge delicious chicken from Dingwall in Harrolds for 6 quid that will do 8 meals and I'm happy with that.
Where people shop is up to them, just not Tesco for me.
You go to Lidl's and in same breath complain of Tesco's ethics.. Lidl has one of the worst records of employer to employee relations in Europe!

sweetpea
16-Feb-11, 21:51
I suppose I mean Lidl don't shove things in your face to tempt you, also maybe they are a poor employer but most of the staff I know in there have been there for a long time so they can't be that bad.

sweetpea
16-Feb-11, 21:54
And its Tescos fault that you buy useless rubbish?

That's exactly what I mean. Usually any time I've been there I've ended up with a trolley full of stuff but nothing to actually make a meal. I tend to shop the way I do so I go and get what I need not come out of shops with load of old tat like I do when I go to Tesco.

Vistravi
16-Feb-11, 23:28
What! just ONE supermarket in Caithness - what the heck are the Co-operative, Lidl and Haldanes? The Tesco in Thurso at the moment is (I'm sure you'll agree) a 'Supermarket' - yet it's the same size as the Co-op! You then compound your mistake by saying co-op's not a supermarket cos its just too small with little choice of products. "Little choice of Products" - Ah the penny drops!

And is still a bit of a novelty. Eh? it opened 27th November 2006 for goodness sake (that's going to be six years in Nov) how long does it take for the 'novelty' value to fade?

"In other parts of the country there are backlashes against the big supermarkets and rightly so." What! Tesco's been up here for six years; ain't seen a backlash yet - Apart from folks telling us we're like sheep and are getting taken in by these wicked companies.. Pah!
"Yes they sell cheap food, yes they sell a lot of it" - Why the hell do you think they 'sell a lot of it'? - you are destroying your own argument. A LOT of folks can't afford the prices at other outlets, so they must be chastised for wise careful frugal spending?
Don't forget before the 'supermarket' came some 8 million quid was spent outwith Caithness - mostly in Inverness.

"Yes there is Morrison's who are clinging on by their teeth" what!, I shop there regularly - it's always busy. 'Morrison's profits leapt to £449 million The chain's 45% increase in pre-tax profits' - Hmm

ASDA's £25 million store at Slackbuie will be opening - is that another supermarket which will be yet another 'unfriendly one'

Have you seen the prices in Haldanes? We walked in and very shortly afterwards walked out.

bekisman
16-Feb-11, 23:35
Have you seen the prices in Haldanes? We walked in and very shortly afterwards walked out.

Surprised it's still there - what Chairman/Director, whatever, thought it would be a good idea to go there - with Tesco just up the road and with Somerfields fast fading away.. Been in there a few times, once bought some John O Groats tatties (supporting local businesses and all that)

orkneycadian
16-Feb-11, 23:47
I was recently at the funeral of a small shopkeeper and many people were telling how he had saved them in hard times, and the local police made a speech about how important this centre of the community was in keeping them informed.

Reminds me of one of my favourite bits out of all Still Game. Here on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M7Y5s3Nbng&feature=related) 08:20 onwards. Usually Navid just needs to be to be funny, but his speech at this bit in this clip epitomises what Canadagirl says above.

Thumper
17-Feb-11, 16:59
I shop were I need to,and go to all the shops to get the best deal,living on a very limited budget means that you have to do that,my meat comes from my local butcher,its far superior to supermarket meat IMO and sometimes it is cheaper! I go to Tesco for a lot of things,and regularly buy the BOGOF offers IF it is something i need/and or will use,cereals are always a welcome offer,as we go through loads of it! I also go to Lidl,usually for fresh fruit and veg,it seems to last a bit longer,and that also saves me any wastage,but the whole point is that yes people do over buy,but only when they have the means to do so,if i go into tesco with £20 to buy a weeks worth of food,I am not going to waste it on their CD's,DVD's ect,we live by our means,and if we choose not to and spend unwisley then thats an individual decision is it not? Yes Tesco and OTHER supermarkets place tempting products infront of us,but as the old saying goes,you can lead a horse to water,but you cannot make it drink! x

orkneycadian
04-Apr-11, 13:33
Its not Thurso, I'll grant you, but another small town near the Pentland Firth.....

Another baker in Kirkwall being taken over after umpteen decades in business. At the moment, the word is that they are being taken over by another baker just up the street, but I can't see them keeping on 2 shops / bakehouses, 20 doors apart. Radio report this morning said that will leave only 3 independent bakers in Orkney, but by my counting, 2 of them are the same, just that they have one shop in Kirkwall and one in Stromness.

A few more years, and they'll likely have gone as well, and Tesco will have achieved their objective, and can then charge what they like for bread that gets part made down south then finished off in store to give the illusion that it is locally made.

Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 today also full of stories of shops that have shut since Tesco came to town. :(

All thats needed now is a Tesco in Strathy and Bekisman will be a happy chappy! ;)