PDA

View Full Version : Shawshank Redemption

The Judge
25-Aug-06, 12:27
Hi All

I gave my copy of this great film to my sister months ago, and cannot believe she still has not watched it. I have told her many occasions what she is missing. Anyone else out there not seen it. Or tell her how good, or bad you think it is.

I personally love movies, so any other recommendations gratefull recieved.

Treat me gentley ;) as a first timer.

DrSzin
25-Aug-06, 12:34
I saw Shawshank for the first time on Film 4 a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was absolutely superb - one of the best movies I've ever seen.

I watched The Green Mile last week. It's also very good but I didn't think it was in quite the same class as Shawshank.

Rheghead
25-Aug-06, 12:42
Hi All

I gave my copy of this great film to my sister months ago, and cannot believe she still has not watched it. I have told her many occasions what she is missing. Anyone else out there not seen it. Or tell her how good, or bad you think it is.

I personally love movies, so any other recommendations gratefull recieved.

Treat me gentley ;) as a first timer.

Welcome to the Forum!!

I love SR, it is one of my favorite films as my missus knows only too well as I keep quoting bits out of the film allll the time! :Razz

Enough typing now as my hands hurt mostly...

Whitewater
25-Aug-06, 12:42
Have also watched both, very enjoyable, but I have to agree with DrSzin regarding Shawshank.

golach
25-Aug-06, 12:43
Shawshank is one of my most enjoyable films that I have ever seen I class it along with Schindlers List and Green Mile

erli
25-Aug-06, 12:45
It's in my top five faourites of all time, when your sister watches it I'm sure it will be in hers too.

Saveman
25-Aug-06, 12:49
oh dear oh dear.....

Shawshank this, Shawshank that........

Yeah it's ok I suppose, but is it really better than the TV Movie version of Prisoner Cell Block H?? ;)

canuck
25-Aug-06, 13:05
Mostly guys responding here so that might not impress a sister.

But as a new person you wouldn't know that. These things come out in time.

You can let her know that this female really, really enjoyed it.

And welcome to our special mob.

lassieinfife
25-Aug-06, 13:56
One of my favorites to.... bought the video years ago and about worn it out, tell sister to sit down with a cuppa and enjoy:lol:

obiron
25-Aug-06, 15:28
a good movie, well worth a watch. takes a bit of getting into but very enjoyable none the less. not seen the green mile yet so couldnt comment. although hubby says its good.

sassylass
25-Aug-06, 15:46
Shawshank is one of Mr Sassy's favourite films and he says I would really enjoy it if only I could get past the beginning. I've tried twice to watch it, but each time I cannot get beyond the opening scenes....I just hate violence like that. No film in the world is worth the upset I feel so I find myself escaping upstairs to play my fiddle or read a book.

Dreadnought
25-Aug-06, 16:59
One of my top five all time favourites (they change from time to time, but Shawshank is always there). Tell your sister it is one of the most uplifting tales of the unquenchable human spirit ever told.

rockchick
25-Aug-06, 18:33
Shawshank Redemption is in my top five movies. It's right up there with Casablanca and The Godfather. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are two brilliant actors who are absolutely believeable in the lead roles.

Funnily enough, I had to be coerced to watch Shawshank as well by my husband...but I was really glad he talked me into it. I've watched in many times since, and there's not too many movies I can say that about.

obiron
25-Aug-06, 19:26
Shawshank Redemption is in my top five movies. It's right up there with Casablanca and The Godfather. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are two brilliant actors who are absolutely believeable in the lead roles.

Funnily enough, I had to be coerced to watch Shawshank as well by my husband...but I was really glad he talked me into it. I've watched in many times since, and there's not too many movies I can say that about.

never seen the godfather yet. it lasts for ages and they always put it on late. started watching scarface what a heap of rubbish couldnt get into it and turned it off.

percy toboggan
25-Aug-06, 19:56
An extraordinary amount of 25-60 year old American men rate 'The Shawshank Redemption' their favourite film of all time. Something like 45%.
It's not a surprise to me. I first saw it about seven years ago, and cried at the end - it actually has about three endings, coming one after the other.
The following day I watched it with my Son, who was in his early twenties & we both blubbered. I have since seen it several times further. I don't cry anymore but I still love it enough to get the 'collectors dvd' The Directors comentary is less than galvanising but it's worth having simply because the film is so damn good.
If you haven't seen it please do so, and soon.

Sassylass, please try to overcome your aversion. I love hearing the fiddle but leave it to one side for an evening and get beyond the violence, which is never grautuitous. This film is about the triumph of the human spirit, male bonding and friendship and above all it's about hope. The ending/s are wonderfully tearjerking. This movie is absolutely FANTASTIC ! Morgan Freedman sounds like God as the film progresses & I defy anyone not to be moved by the beers in a bucket, on the roof.

DrSzin
25-Aug-06, 20:27
Shawshank is one of Mr Sassy's favourite films and he says I would really enjoy it if only I could get past the beginning. I've tried twice to watch it, but each time I cannot get beyond the opening scenes....I just hate violence like that. No film in the world is worth the upset I feel so I find myself escaping upstairs to play my fiddle or read a book.I have the ideal solution - don't watch the beginning! I missed the start of the movie because I was arguing with my father about something or other. It's a challenge to figure out what happened at the beginning, but it's a challenge worth rising to.

I too was sceptical of the hype, but I recall a few posters waxing lyrically about it on a previous Org thread, so I made a point of watching it the other week. As percy toboggan says, there are really three endings and each ending "gets you" more than its predecessor. It's hard not to cry at the last one.

It's also a very good advertisement for patience - a virtue which I most definitely do not possess.

connieb19
25-Aug-06, 21:09
Sounds good so I've just ordered it from Amazon, Hopefully I'll have it by Monday..:)

Rheghead
25-Aug-06, 21:12
I watched my SR tape so many times that I bust the tape, on the strength of that I bought a DVD player and SR DVD! :D

Happy now!

Colin Manson
25-Aug-06, 21:33
I read both books before seeing the movies, I thought that the Green Mile was a much better book, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption was only a short story abet a very good one.

I don't think it was possible to convey the Green Mile very well as a movie, it was close but not perfect, Shawshank on the other hand was perfectly suited to be a movie.

raymac
25-Aug-06, 21:33
Top movie watch it at least once. If you do . It will become one of your favorites..

pultneytooner
25-Aug-06, 21:51
I thought shawshank was a cracking movie but my fave prison movie has got to be brubaker starring robert redford, my all time favourite.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
25-Aug-06, 22:19
Crackin film the Shawshank Redemption.Especially the twist at the end.One of those films that are totally different to other prison movies.:D

percy toboggan
25-Aug-06, 23:10
I read both books before seeing the movies, I thought that the Green Mile was a much better book, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption was only a short story abet a very good one.

I don't think it was possible to convey the Green Mile very well as a movie, it was close but not perfect, Shawshank on the other hand was perfectly suited to be a movie.
The Green Mile was an enjoyable read. Very enjoyable. As a movie it was full on entertainment, but was always fantasy. I once had to explain to a bloke that it was NOT based upon a true story.
Shawhshank is also fiction of course but it is almost believable. I say 'almost' because there is talk of the 'fatal flaw'. Devotees will know what I'm talking about but let's not spoil it for the likes of sassylass, and any others who have yet to see it.

Connie - you wil love it. Please report back.

Moira
26-Aug-06, 03:02
Sounds good so I've just ordered it from Amazon, Hopefully I'll have it by Monday..:)

You're wasting good money Connie. I borrowed it from Wick Library a while back - excellent film. £1.75 for a two-week rental. Can you cancel your Amazon order & get your money back? You could use the saving to buy a big bag of popcorn or maybe a Chinese carryout & really enjoy a "good night in" ;)

Carlo Gambino
26-Aug-06, 07:39
never seen the godfather yet. it lasts for ages and they always put it on late. started watching scarface what a heap of rubbish couldnt get into it and turned it off.

You turned off Scarface!!! Nah the godfather is the best film ever, you should watch it, It was based on my namesake after all

connieb19
26-Aug-06, 11:09
You're wasting good money Connie. I borrowed it from Wick Library a while back - excellent film. £1.75 for a two-week rental. Can you cancel your Amazon order & get your money back? You could use the saving to buy a big bag of popcorn or maybe a Chinese carryout & really enjoy a "good night in" ;)Cheers Moira but,I cannot believe it, the DVD is here already, I only ordered it yesterday. Hows that for great service? I can't wait until tonight now so I can watch it :D

The Judge
26-Aug-06, 14:23
Enjoy Connie

I am not sure why it is so good. I think because it touches all the emotions on numerous occasions.:) :( Make sure and tell us what you think.

percy toboggan
26-Aug-06, 18:48
In the past, in female company I've said this is more of a 'man's film'
I was taken to task, but in my experience men rate it higher.
It will be inteteresting to get your slant on it Connie.

connieb19
26-Aug-06, 23:51
Well, I've just finished watching it and what can I say? It was brilliant!! I have seen it before though but it was so long ago I couldn't remember what happened. About half way through, I did rememer one of the endings but it certainly didn't spoil it. Like Judge says, it touches all emotions.
So glad I bought it and didn't just rent it as this is one I will definitely watch again.
Oh, imho, I think it's better than The Green mile, which is also an excellent film!!
Any recommendations on what to watch next?
Also, how do I get rid of this slanted writing?:eek:

Dreadnought
26-Aug-06, 23:55
Baraka....

Moira
27-Aug-06, 01:41
Well, I've just finished watching it and what can I say? It was brilliant!! I have seen it before though but it was so long ago I couldn't remember what happened. About half way through, I did rememer one of the endings but it certainly didn't spoil it. Like Judge says, it touches all emotions.
So glad I bought it and didn't just rent it as this is one I will definitely watch again.
Oh, imho, I think it's better than The Green mile, which is also an excellent film!!
Any recommendations on what to watch next?
Also, how do I get rid of this slanted writing?:eek:

Glad you enjoyed the film Connie - I thought you would somehow.

As for the slanted writing, next time you post try clicking the "I" button next to the "B" button along the top of your post to switch off the italics.

I've not seen "Baraka" either, as recommended by Dreadnought. Will have a look next time I'm in the library.

Bobinovich
27-Aug-06, 14:12
Shawshank Redemption - my tale of woe!

Mrs Bob bought me the DVD when it was going cheap somewhere. I thanked her but said I didn't like the film so ended up giving it away to a friend.

Then I saw it on TV and it instantly went into my top 5 films of all time. It turns out I'd mistaken it for a totally different film (I can't even remember which one)!

I tried to get my DVD back but my friend had 'lost' it (aye right - probably just didn't want to give it back which I can fully understand).

Saw it again a few weeks ago on TV and persuaded Mrs Bob to watch and she too enjoyed it.

Now we're just waiting for it to go cheap somewhere!!!

connieb19
27-Aug-06, 14:51
I bought it new from a seller on Amazon, Only just over a fiver,including postage, well worth it and arrived next day. :)

obiron
27-Aug-06, 15:23
You turned off Scarface!!! Nah the godfather is the best film ever, you should watch it, It was based on my namesake after all

finally watched it last night on film four. was pretty good although bit thin on plot. enjoyed it though and thought al pacino was superb.

Dreadnought
27-Aug-06, 22:20
If you like Mob movies then Once Upon A Time In America is quite outstanding.