PDA

View Full Version : Wood Pellet Bedding for horse

janemac
12-Feb-11, 19:48
Hi, just wondering if anyone has used the wood pellet bedding and what their thoughts were on it? :confused

Pony
12-Feb-11, 22:09
I used it last year and loved it. Really absorbent but a bag didnt go far so I used a normal shavings bed but with a sprinkle of wood pellets in the middle to soak up the pee. The stuff I bought was actually meant to be lightly sprayed with water to make it fluff up but I didnt like doing that. I used to just mix it with shavings. I found the bed stayed dryer for much longer using it. But I found it was pricey and my supplier stopped doing it which is why I dont use it anymore.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Feb-11, 23:05
Hey I sell it and have used it intermittedly, it's good it doesn't move around and gives a more secure bed but couldn't decide if it was any more economical. Maybe a little easier to muck out though.

leodhas01
13-Feb-11, 14:55
A friend of mine used to used some form of bedding that was pellets and shavings mixed in together, cant remember the name of the brand but will see if she remembers. It was quite good all you done was take out the droppings and put it up to a wall when mucking it out then once or twice a month remove the bed and start again, you didnt have to top it up alot ethir and it was quiet economical aswell. Bedmax and shavings are another good combo, thats what i use for my own horse.

janemac
13-Feb-11, 17:23
Thanks! Am using hemcore at the mo which is really good but was wondering if the pellets might work out more economical....

Pony
13-Feb-11, 19:58
I thought you had stopped doing the pellets Keep On Trucking...you are my supplier lol. I will give you a shout next time I need bedding and maybe start using some pellets again. I was also using these pellets as cat litter - they work good for that and cheaper.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
13-Feb-11, 20:17
Hey Pony I have a new brand in that I don't need to take in such bulk, it's called White Horse Bedding I have about ten bags in at moment!

Cheers

Mairi Anne