PDA

View Full Version : omg that was so close!

brandy
12-Feb-11, 14:46
had to do an emergency stop today! the first real one ive ever had to do.. and i was going about 55 mph!
two beautiful chocky labs had got out of their owners gate.. still not sure how it happened! i saw them both at the side of the road.. knew i was gonna have to stop really fast, and ended up slamming on my breaks, and still nearly hitting the dog!
it was so scary! it felt like it took me forever to stop! the one dog ran right in front of the car.. and i couldn't see him he was that close! luckily, i didn't swerve or loose control.. was very controlled stop.. just felt like it took forever..
the owner was out in a flash.. and got both dogs in.. very lovely man btw.. and kept apologizing.. while i was doing the same thing!!
i think we were both horrified.. as we both kept saying sorry and i dont know how it happened.. his garden is well fenced.. and he was outside as well!
it was just one of those things i guess..
moral of the story... it takes a lot longer to stop when you have to than you realize!! ive learned a very valuable lesson today and thankfully no one was hurt! it could have been a lot worse!
whew, my nerves are shot!
and if the owner is reading this! Thank you for being so reassuring! *laughs* i felt like crying at the time!!!

cherokee
12-Feb-11, 15:34
I've been in that same situation as well Brandy! :eek:

My Dad's neighbour's wee dog ran right out in front of me (this was a good few years ago I may add - so I had less experience!) and I hit him !!
I wasn't going very fast as my Dad lives up a side road with only three other houses on it.

By Golly, what a shock I got.......although it was only a matter of less than a 1/4 mile to my Dad's; I was absolutley bawling my eyes out and shaking so much due to the sheer shock of it.

My Dad phoned said neighbours and explained what had happened and they reassured us their dog was completely fine - they hadn't realised that anything had happened to him as he just bounded into the house as normal....not even a scratch on him.

I can't even begin to describe my relief! :o

So I can completely understand how shaken up and shocked you must've felt Brandy - really glad that the dog's owner was so kind to you just as my Dad's neighbour was to me.

Sometimes it can be extremely difficult to avoid an animal darting out in front of your car.....it takes a good driver to keep control of their car whilst keeping calm at the same time. :eek:

So WELL DONE Brandy ! X

porshiepoo
12-Feb-11, 19:49
Well done Brandy.

I haven't been the one having to slam the brakes on but I've had a dog killled by a car unfortunately.
My husband had a huge unit with a few German Shepherd guard dogs. On one occassion we were getting them ready for their walks and they all made a beeline for something over the road. They were all trained except for the younger two so when hubby shouted 'down' all but the younger two hit the floor. One made it across the road but the other was hit and dragged.
It turned out the driver was an ex copper and so the fact that he'd been speeding in a 30 zone was kind of brushed under the carpet. Mind you, probably had something to do with the local VIP he was chaufeurring around in the car as well.
Can't say the guy was particularly bothered that the dog was severely injured, he just took our business insurance details, left and sued us to the tune of one thousand pounds.

I