PDA

View Full Version : Future of Policing in Scotland

Blazing Sporrans
11-Feb-11, 14:38
The Scottish Government are inviting responses to their interim report on this subject

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/02/10120102/9

If you have any views one way or the other, then now's the time to have your say. Responses have to be in by 5th May.

Personally speaking, I cannot believe that one large Police Force is the way ahead. A Central Belt bias would be bound to form to the detriment of the services the taxpayer already receives. Basically, no matter how good or bad you believe things are already, they could be about to become very much worse - prepare for "thanks for your call but we will be unable to attend, here is your reference number" :(

ducati
11-Feb-11, 17:18
Have to say, that in Caithness anyway, the fewer police the better.

Except in Wick obviously, where we appear to need about 100 judging by the number of peeps that end up in front of the beek.

Blazing Sporrans
11-Feb-11, 17:57
lol ducati... you sound like man caught at above the speed limit on that bike. Hope that's not you on the A9 on your avatar :)

theone
11-Feb-11, 18:21
I can't help but think that any centralisation of Scottish policing will be to the detriment of remote areas.

On the other side of the coin though I do think that reducing the number of high level jobs and investing in the lower ranks is a sensible way to save money while increasing the availability of officers that fight crime at the lowest level..

ducati
11-Feb-11, 21:00
lol ducati... you sound like man caught at above the speed limit on that bike. Hope that's not you on the A9 on your avatar :)

That's Troy 'kin Bayliss that is. :eek:

ducati
11-Feb-11, 21:03
I can't help but think that any centralisation of Scottish policing will be to the detriment of remote areas.

On the other side of the coin though I do think that reducing the number of high level jobs and investing in the lower ranks is a sensible way to save money while increasing the availability of officers that fight crime at the lowest level..

And stop buying stupidly expensive German cars with our money! :mad:

Catharnach74
11-Feb-11, 21:22
If you had it my way with all the drugs etc coming in through the Highlands the Northern Constabulary would be more para military police and armed like in Spain with check points in strategic places in the Highlands unstead of being a waste of space they are now!

sandyr1
12-Feb-11, 21:18
A very difficult decision has to be made, which will likely be served by Financial reasons.....
There are basically 2 possibilities....
1. More collaboration between existing Forces
2. One single Policing Unit across Scotland.....

All very difficult to decide......
Firstly it is difficult to have collaboration as each 'Unit/Areas' have their own priorities, and this is defined by the Chief of Police or the 'Top Dog'!
A single Police Force (Service) would enable those in the North....the Far North.... to have expertise in the Drug and Gang subculture closer at hand (as above)....Enforcement in the Drug World does need specific training and of course likewise Major Criminal Investigations. One cannot expect the Copper on the Beat or in the car to have this type of knowledge...The problem being that Convictions are much harder to get nowadays...The Burden of Proof and a rather complicated Court System requires this expert knowledge.
But then you don't have the local 'Bobbie' who has personal knowledge of the people and the community.....
Unfortunately all Countries, and even States and Provinces are not similar and there appears to be no standardization....

I think it will come down to a Financial Issue, and thus the elimination of a certain number of Senior Officers and Civilians and a saving in money....
It likely will not affect the manner in which Police operate, just the 'local Bobbie on the Beat' will be gone forever. A less personal touch.

An afterthought....Everyone who has thoughts on the issue is being asked to participate....and they should....There is a saying....
'Feedback is the Breakfast of Champions'. No sense in complaining after the fact!

Moira
12-Feb-11, 21:42
The Scottish Government are inviting responses to their interim report on this subject

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/02/10120102/9

If you have any views one way or the other, then now's the time to have your say. Responses have to be in by 5th May.

Personally speaking, I cannot believe that one large Police Force is the way ahead. A Central Belt bias would be bound to form to the detriment of the services the taxpayer already receives. Basically, no matter how good or bad you believe things are already, they could be about to become very much worse - prepare for "thanks for your call but we will be unable to attend, here is your reference number" :(

I'd already noted this Blazing Sporrans but thanks for the "heads up" .
I've always had the greatest of respect for the Police force in Scotland and I would agree that this is not the way forward.

Blazing Sporrans
12-Feb-11, 23:23
"We are fortunate in Scotland to have an excellent police service that has served us with distinction for many decades. This success has been enhanced by the recruitment of 1,000 additional officers since we came to office in 2007, and we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to the police officers in our communities who work tirelessly to keep us safe, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

In 2009/10, crime in Scotland fell to a 32 year low, with violent crime in particular dropping by 11 per cent to reach its lowest level since 1984. Alongside that, homicides recorded by police forces in Scotland fell by a fifth in 2009/10, leaving the murder rate at its lowest in 31 years. I am immensely proud of, and want to build on, these achievements."

These are the opening two paragraphs of Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill's foreword to the Consultation document. If ever there was a better example of "If it ain't broke" then I have yet to see it.....
Change for change's sake anyone?

sandyr1
12-Feb-11, 23:42
Yes I saw that....excellent....but they have to cut the Budget.....
The Gov't has to save money, thus the accolades to the Police and to advise that there will be cuts.
The Scottish Police Federation advises there could be Officer cuts of over 2,000.

ducati
12-Feb-11, 23:47
Apparently UK wide cuts of up to 10,000 officers are predicted by the scare mongering Labours. Out of a force of close to 150,000 I shouldn't think anyone would notice.

sandyr1
14-Feb-11, 20:07
A new report on Crime in Canada is under attack....Highly Politicized and without Statistical merit......Fudging the numbers it is alleged..
Can you imagine our leaders doing such a thing? Amazing!