PDA

View Full Version : Catch and Release

David Banks
11-Feb-11, 02:34
Catch and release fishing is very popular on this side of the pond.

Is it practiced much in Scotland?

Does hooking a fish, and on occasions 'playing' it for a long time, qualify as a no-harm sport?

My background taught me: - go catch some fish, then take them home, and have a fry-up.

canadagirl
11-Feb-11, 05:11
On left coast of Canada go barbless or go home. I've never seen someone who didn't care about the welfare of the fish they release. Besides, the fish are just a bonus. :Razz

david
11-Feb-11, 09:22
Don't see the point in fishing if your going to release. You are just playing with the fish.

orkneycadian
11-Feb-11, 18:32
Brave man!

'fessing up to animals and sport in the same sentence! Normally a taboo subject on "e dis" (e new name for e org), even when the animals are vermin!

Apparently, according many on here, animals are not for sport, and any hunting should only be for essential hunger dispersal requirements (assuming Tesco is closed). Interfering with them for pleasure is reportedly a near hanging offence in these parts! ;)

cherokee
11-Feb-11, 19:01
Brave man!

"e dis" (e new name for e org), ;)

When did this new name come about; I haven't been on for a wee whilie so I've obviously missed something ? :roll:

How should I go about logging into this ? .........

david
11-Feb-11, 19:03
On left coast of Canada go barbless or go home. I've never seen someone who didn't care about the welfare of the fish they release. Besides, the fish are just a bonus. :Razz

If they cared that much about the fish's welfare then they would leave them alone, instead of releasing them with a sore mouth and no doubt stressed.

orkneycadian
11-Feb-11, 19:48
When did this new name come about; I haven't been on for a wee whilie so I've obviously missed something ? :roll:

Since here! (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?135069-How-useful-is-the-ORG&p=817088#post817088) ;)

cherokee
11-Feb-11, 19:54
Since here! (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?135069-How-useful-is-the-ORG&p=817088#post817088) ;)

Oh, so this "forum" doesn't actually exist then Orkneycadian ? Just curious...........:roll:

George Brims
11-Feb-11, 23:23
I just don't see any point to catching something you're not going to eat. Unless of course it's too small and you have to put it back.

david
12-Feb-11, 09:52
[QUOTE=George Brims;818776]I just don't see any point to catching something you're not going to eat. Unless of course it's too small and you have to put it back.[/QUOT

Totally agree!

Geo
12-Feb-11, 12:30
Catch and release is carried out in Scotland on some salmon rivers as it is considered a way to preserve/increase stock. It is practiced throughout the UK by coarse fisherman, ie those who fish for none game fish such as pike, roach, carp, rudd etc. Although many of these fish are edible and in the past some were considered delicacies, they have fallen out of favour and are not considered eating fish. Some rainbow trout fisheries allow catch and release.

Ricco
12-Feb-11, 17:35
I fish quite a bit - at least once a month. It is always for the pot... but only enough for our needs. Anything too small or when I have caught enough goes back if it can. Some cannot be returned (eg pollack brought up from 300ft down) so I have a) reduced fishing for these species and b) usually stop fishing when I have enough.

The old days of 'filling yer boots' have to go in this age.

david
12-Feb-11, 21:23
I always thought pollock were midwater- I have never seen one with its swim bladder out of its mouth unlike cod and ling.

sandyr1
12-Feb-11, 21:32
[QUOTE=Geo;818878]Catch and release is carried out in Scotland on some salmon rivers as it is considered a way to preserve/increase stock. It is practiced throughout the UK by coarse fisherman, ie those who fish for none game fish such as pike, roach, carp, rudd etc. Although many of these fish are edible and in the past some were considered delicacies, they have fallen out of favour and are not considered eating fish. Some rainbow trout fisheries allow catch and release

Also practiced in my neck of the woods... and in the US. We have huge Fishing derbies......
A Bass Boat 20 feet long....can be up to a 275hp engine..70mph (FYI Ducati)..electric motor on the bow for quietness. Live bait and fish wells. Fish are stored in these aerated wells until they are weighed and then set free. Experts say there is very little damage done...Sore Mouth!

oldmarine
13-Feb-11, 00:52
I just don't see any point to catching something you're not going to eat. Unless of course it's too small and you have to put it back.

Makes good sense to me. I caught and saved only the fish I intended to eat unless they were too small. Those I returned to their habitat.

Ricco
13-Feb-11, 10:01
I always thought pollock were midwater- I have never seen one with its swim bladder out of its mouth unlike cod and ling.

We travel 40-60 miles and fish deep water wrecks that can be 200 - 350 feet down. The fish stay tight to the wreck, especially when the tide is running. In these conditions 'mid water' might be 10 - 40 feet above the wreck.