PDA

View Full Version : plus size, maternity clothing shop?

brandy
10-Feb-11, 12:27
Have been thinking about this for a while.. going into business on our own. trying to figure out what kind of business that would be is the problem. Really want to stay up here, and not move away to do it, so trying to figure out what would work in wick!
one thing i thought about was a clothing shop.
something that stocked things that were fashionable for curvier ladies.. not all of us are a 6-10 you know! *G*
also, adding.. nice lingerie for the curvy ladies and bigger busted.. not just the huge ugly white and black ones!
was thinking also, maternity clothing for ladies since i dont think theres a lot on offer up here? if it worked could always branch out into other things mens kids ect.. but just trying to figure out if this is worth looking into!
all help greatly appreciated!

telfordstar
10-Feb-11, 12:41
I think this is a good idea, I know mackays clothes cater for the "larger" lady but tbh there prices are a bit high and even in sale can be pricey? Nice to see someone wanting to breath life into this "old" town :)

good luck and keep us posted

All boxed up
10-Feb-11, 19:03
A Larger ladies clothes/lingerie range shop is a really good idea Brandy, as would nice affordable children's clothes, somewhere you can buy nice, comfortable yet affordable clothing. Its not just the skinny minnies that like to look nice but to see some of the sizes and designs in most clothing shops you would think so.
I wish you all the best in your new venture, be nice to see something new injected into the local community. A breath of fresh air so to speak xx

ShelleyCowie
10-Feb-11, 20:35
Thats a brilliant idea!!! Im size 12-14 just now still and to be honest, Mackays clothing isnt all that fashionable sometimes. And as for the bras, they would be welcome!!!!

When i was pregnant, i bought maternity clothes online and hated the fact they looked different when they arrived or didnt fit. Too much hassle to return.

Brilliant idea you have going there and i bid you good luck! :)

brandy
10-Feb-11, 22:22
thank you for all the support guys! *G* talkiing to hubby about it.. as would be a lot of his money going into it *laughs* hes just afraid of the idea.. as he doesnt know what he would do in a clothing shop!
ive been looking online for suppliers and how i would go about getting the stock.. ive never done anything like this before.. so no idea where to start! anyone have any advice on where or who i start talking and looking to?
again any and all advice welcomed!!

Red
10-Feb-11, 22:40
Have you thought about something like a franchise for a known name - I'm not sure if clothing retailers do that kind of thing. I think the shop/online chain bravissimo is wonderful, something like that would be great. Also try to ask similar kind of retailers to what you hope to achieve for advice. Better to ask ones out of the area though so they know that you won't be stepping on their toes.

Good luck

AliciaMackinnon
10-Feb-11, 22:49
I myself would appreciate that! Being of the curvier female population I find it hard to fibd things that will fit and still look good!

Hope this is what you decide on and if you are looking for staff keep me in mibd!

Good luck!

SunnyChick
11-Feb-11, 13:52
What Caithness needs is a place to buy lingerie for big mamas, as well as peeps who suffer from huge knockers on a tiny frame! In particular, I don't think there is anywhere here who offers a proper bra fitting service, so if you could find a way to offer this then you'd probably be a very busy lady! :D

Maternity clothes would be an excellent idea, as I really struggled to find stuff when I had my kids, in particular, feeding bras were difficult to find, and I often ordered the wrong size and then got stuck with it!

Sports underwear, control underwear, sexy underwear - get all of it! :D

Oh, and somewhere to buy that little black dress or ball gown - with shoes and clutch to match... now that would be terriffic!

brandy
11-Feb-11, 14:03
have thought the same thing sunnychick!
have been looking online at suppliers allready..
also looking into getting training for such things as sizing ect.. so much to do!!
if any business owners out there would be willing to give some tips on where to begin and who to talk to?
ive been looking at how to make a business plan.. but will need help .. as its way out of my depths .. lots of work ahead of me i think!
but im determined to have a go!

igglepiggle
11-Feb-11, 14:19
Business gateway is the best place to go and talk through your plans. They help you draw up business plans and offer all kinds of help. You can phone them on 0845 609 6611 or visit www.bgateway.com (http://www.bgateway.com) There is an office in wick, but i dont think it is a drop in office, you have to phone the number above to get the local office number.

Hope this helps

Kevin Milkins
11-Feb-11, 14:37
What Caithness needs is a place to buy lingerie for big mamas, as well as peeps who suffer from huge knockers on a tiny frame! In particular, I don't think there is anywhere here who offers a proper bra fitting service, so if you could find a way to offer this then you'd probably be a very busy lady! :D

Maternity clothes would be an excellent idea, as I really struggled to find stuff when I had my kids, in particular, feeding bras were difficult to find, and I often ordered the wrong size and then got stuck with it!

Oh, and somewhere to buy that little black dress or ball gown - with shoes and clutch to match... now that would be terriffic!

When out shopping for mrs M's Christmas presents I called into Turners in Wick high street.

Not only was I surprised by the ammount of stock to chose from, but the helpful and unbiased advice I got from the lady has made it one of my favorite shops in town, (and I think she does a measure service). I was even offered to take clothes home for mrs M to try on.:Razz

brandy
11-Feb-11, 14:40
thanks kevin, i didn't realize that turners did much for larger ladies! will have to have a nosey!!

Kevin Milkins
11-Feb-11, 15:17
I think I may have put my foot in it, (again), by suggesting that Mrs M is of the larger variety.:lol:

Hoida
11-Feb-11, 15:39
Think that is a brilliant idea Brandy and definitely much needed. I am just back from Thurso and was looking for dress trousers but not the very expensive ones in Sinclairs or Elizabeths and I wasn't too keen on any of the others I looked at just nothing to choose from unless you want black!

ShelleyCowie
11-Feb-11, 16:34

Oh bra fitting! Now that would be a bonus to do Brandy!

Iv only ever been measured twice, once in M&S and once in La Senza. Both measured me at totally different sizes so now i just wear what i think! And its still probably wrong. so that wud be an awsome idea to bring!

annemarie482
11-Feb-11, 19:49
brandy,

i started planning that very shop a few years ago with help from business gateway.
i was also offered funds from the princes trust.
business gateway put me through several courses on marketing,management, business and book keeping.
what hindered me, was a shop in the right location that i could afford.
the rental rates in wick were unbelievably high!!
despite many of them being empty for years.
and shops for sale wouldnt even entertain renting out.
my other struggle was getting a constant delivery of stock this far north without suffering surcharges. which would then cause the price of goods to rise making online purchase more affordable.

for this reason i put the idea on the back burner thinking i could start up small from home.
and to be honest, i gave up hope :(

but i wish you every success, as from the surveys i had carried out, the need/want for maternity and larger sizes had a very positive feed back, with very little competition other than online.

jac1791
12-Feb-11, 01:25
what a great idea Brandy, I have big problem, coz shops think only skinny people need longer clothes too -- i need 34" trousers but once u go into larger than size 12 - 14 its 32" and then tops ---- do they think people over size 18 dont want anything fashionable, I may be coming 40 but dont want to dress like my granny yet!!!

good on u Brandy and hope u & hubby have loads o sucsess, I would be a regular customer ...

canadagirl
12-Feb-11, 01:43
Coming from a small town and having seen at least 20 clothing/lingerie shops come and go, all of which I patronised, this is what I've noticed- your biggest competition is internet, ladies will come in to get fitted for bras and maybe buy one but will buy online once they know their size in that brand (way cheaper!) There will typically be custom from wives of leading people in the community. And it is very hard/impossible to price competitively due to shipping distance and quantities purchased. Are there any home shopping party type things that you could be a rep. for? They have way less overhead, gives you flexible hours for the kids, and they benefit from bulk buying. May be something to look into. Good luck!

gunnlass
12-Feb-11, 13:21
Is there still a shop that sells lingerie near Dunnets petrol station? I haven't been it, does it not cater for all sizes? It used have a nice window display anytime I went past.

Fran
12-Feb-11, 13:45
wHAT A GREAT IDEA bRANDY. This would be really good for Caithness. I have trouble getting elasticated waist trousers anywhere. Other ones are useless as my waist is bigger than my hips sort of so i ned all elasticated.!!!

orkneycadian
12-Feb-11, 14:44
I think you'll struggle with this, given previous views aired on here....

You'll get your shop, get it stocked up and ready to go, then set your prices at the level you need to cover your time, rent, rates, electricity, national insurance, etc etc. Then folk will complain its more expensive than buying off the internet, or Tesco or Inverness or wherever. You'll point out that you have all these overheads to cover, but folk will just accuse you of being a rip off merchant.

Then, Tescos will see you as a potential competition and will drop their knickers (in price that is! :)) or offer them on BOGOF until you finally throw in the towel.

Then, after you close, this place will be full of folk moaning again that there are no local shops that stock big pants!

I suspect you won't be able to win!

brandy
12-Feb-11, 14:54
that is a possibility but if we dont try it will def. fail *G* but then again it might not! def. want to add maternity wear.. and possibly childrens wear and menswear later on.. just depends how things go..

orkneycadian
12-Feb-11, 15:10
Depends what you men by fail! If fail means losing lots of your time and money, then by not trying, you won't fail!

brandy
12-Feb-11, 15:22
basically it means that if you dont try you will never gain anything. every venture is a risk.. and im no where near an opening stage. ive miles ahead till im ready to open a shop. But im willing to give it a try.. its something that ive always wanted to do,and im the only one that can make that dream come true.
right now im looking at possible suppliers... how much it costs.. and possible ideas for where it could be.. then im going to contact gateway and see what help they can offer me.. ie pointing me in the right direction for training.. working on a business plan and then starting to get all my information and costs together.
at the moment, i dont know how to run a business.. so will have to work all that out first!
again! thanks to everyone giving their opinions!
brandy

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-11, 16:07
Brandy with the maternity clothing i think you will have a nail on the head there! Online, i spent an absolute fortune on 1 single pair of black maternity trousers. Was horrified to pay the price, with postage on top of that but i had too. (that was with my first by the way when i was working)

Online, maternity clothes can be cheap BUT its awful quality! With Jay, i bought a really cheap pair of maternity combats and they fell apart so quickly. The material was really thin, pockets were not sewn on properly. So i would always prefer to pay a "decent" price. Not over the top, not tesco cheap either!

Also can i add that when my maternity trousers came i did not like the feeling of them. The material wasnt nice at all but i felt stuck with them!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Feb-11, 17:04
As you know Brandy I have just opened my shop in town after 2 and a half years of trading without one.

Everyone has their tuppence to put in but you really need to be 100% dedicated and appreciate the amount of hours work it takes to get organised. I have no doubt that if this is what you really want to do then you can make it happen.

Be aware of the cost of fitting out a shop and getting and rental premises fit for purpose before you even look at buying stock. Trying to get a suitable premises in the RIGHT location is difficult.

What market are you going for? Quality items are expensive - are the customers will to pay premium prices here for quality and service? If they aren't you need to sell a HUGE amount of mid range knickers to cover your overheads. This could be helped by having an online shop to supplement as well.

Who is going to work for you ? are you going to do it all yourself? Are you going to employ someone - are you aware of National Insurance Contributions, Insurance, Holiday Cover , Sick Pay etc.

Not being negative at all - just don't go into this blind. There are a few town centre locations available to rent in Wick at the moment - Why not do what we did and put feelers out for another like minded individual to share with.

Oh also - don't forget solictors fee's for setting up rental, having to pay Landlords fees and their Buildings Insurance too. Just a couple of things that come as a suprise.

All the best MA x

brandy
12-Feb-11, 18:56
have pm's you keep on trukin with answers to your questions *grins*
one thing i didnt answer on the pm.. as i forgot it when i was writing.. i do know about the NI contributions, insurance..ect.. but no idea how much they are at the moment..
more of the things on my list to find out!
and nope not taking it as negative at all!!
i really appreciate all the advice that im getting!!
the more knowledge i have .. the more i will know going in and.. not be quite so shocked when i read the bottom line!
i hope....

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Feb-11, 23:14
Employers only pay National Insurance Contributions in this financial year if you pay any individual more than 110 a week - or accumulatively so much a month can't exactly remember. In essence it's sometimes better to have several part time staff that one or 2 full time staff. Especially to begin with - then you also have a better chance of having someone to cover for holidays / sick days etc.

Insurance for retail should be hundred - circa £300 to £700 depending on cover - this is a guesstimate on my behalf on the size of premises that you'd be having. But a suprise to us was the fact that we had to remimburse our Landlords Buildings Insurance. Small Print Contract.

You also need to think about the structure of your business - Self Employed? Partnership with your Husband? Limited Company?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
16-Mar-11, 18:55
In the interim of your plus sizes we have some lovely JAckets and fleeces in size 16+ at Hilltop Horse & Country right now :-)