PDA

View Full Version : co-op

Big G
24-Aug-06, 20:13
I was in the coop today in Thurso and it was quite busy, queues at all the tills. There was a member of staff who had finished her work and was doing some shopping. When i went to the check-out i seen another member of staff that was working opening a till especially for this other member of staff. I was really mad as i had been standing in the queue for about 10 mins and she came straight up and got a till especially opened for her!

I think wether they are staff or not they should be made to wait in a queue!

This is the second time i have seen this happen and it is not fair!

Anyone else had the same experience?

sjwahwah
24-Aug-06, 20:20
did she close the till after she served the off duty worker?

could have been the off duty person was a manager and said look, yer gonna need another till open!

queue frustration is never nice.:D

Big G
24-Aug-06, 20:49
did she close the till after she served the off duty worker?

could have been the off duty person was a manager and said look, yer gonna need another till open!

queue frustration is never nice.:D

yes she closed it. The person who opened it was the manager!

sjwahwah
24-Aug-06, 20:51
oh dearie me... rage.

Naefearjustbeer
25-Aug-06, 01:51
These places dont really do much to help themselves do they, Roll on tesco and asda. Hopefully that will give these shops the kick up the behind they need.

mccaugm
25-Aug-06, 09:03
I quite like the Coop in Thurso (prefer to Somerfield) but do find it somewhat untidy looking. Also their freezer section is a disaster. There is no logic to it whatsoever. SORT IT OUT! PLEASE!

However- I do use their delivery service and the delivey guys are gems. Very helpful and they do work exceptionally hard. Well done guys!

Lavenderblue2
25-Aug-06, 09:16
I was in the Co-op in Thurso yesterday and the queues were quite ridiculous only three checkouts open and lots of hold ups.
I must agree with Mccaugm about the disarray in the shop, it is so scruffy and often dirty especially the floor.

Yes roll on Tesco – I can’t wait!!

LB

sjwahwah
25-Aug-06, 11:47
can someone tell me does Tesco presently deliver to homes in Caithness?

pops
25-Aug-06, 15:33
does nobody think that when adsa and tescos come it will quite possibly be the same people that work in somerfields and the co-op that will be working in them? i do realise that this does not mean there will be lots of queues but im just thinking of previous posts about local supermarkets

mccaugm
25-Aug-06, 15:53
can someone tell me does Tesco presently deliver to homes in Caithness?

If only....the furthest they deliver to is the Tain area. They deliver to about a 30 mile radius from the nearest premises. I used to get my shopping delivered (I lived in Ross-Shire) and the staff were smashing. Friendly, helpful and polite.

jay
25-Aug-06, 15:56
the staff in tesco will be the same as the other stores - mainly somerfield, the assistant manager of tescos has just left somerfield as have some of the supervisors - same service, different shop I fear!

as to the staff in co-op - do they perhaps have a regulation that staff must be served by management and not by someone who might be a mate?

rockchick
25-Aug-06, 21:41
the staff in tesco will be the same as the other stores - mainly somerfield, the assistant manager of tescos has just left somerfield as have some of the supervisors - same service, different shop I fear!

as to the staff in co-op - do they perhaps have a regulation that staff must be served by management and not by someone who might be a mate?

I have a relative that works at Co-op - and apparently the only reason they can think of that management would open a till just for a staff member would be if the staff member is on a break. The breaks are only 15 minutes long, so it makes sense for management to serve their employees so they can use their break to best advantage. I suppose this makes sense from an employees' point of view - if I'm an employee and I've been working for 5 hours and need a break, and have to spend most of that break queing for a snack, then I'm going to be an unhappy staff member!

Gross
25-Aug-06, 23:47
These places dont really do much to help themselves do they, Roll on tesco and asda. Hopefully that will give these shops the kick up the behind they need.

Tesco and Asda are not that great. Asda is involved in a bitter dispute with employees (which resulted in the company being fined £800,000), and they recently held an internal enquiry after they discovered that their own staff would rather shop at other supermarkets even though they get a discount at Asda! A good employee? No.

Tesco operates a local pricing policy for petrol, so don't expect major reductions.

That said, Tesco haven't really done anything wrong, and have a product offering that is all things to all people. But in a mid size store in Caithness, I would expect anything special.

I really do expect Somerfield will decide to pull out of Caithness, leaving the Co-op, and Tesco and Asda to fight it out. And another thing - Tesco and Asda prices are generally identical.

Naefearjustbeer
26-Aug-06, 01:00
I will be quite happy if somerfields pull out of caithness. They are the worst supermarket up here. The only good thing the thurso one has going for it is the fact it always has space in the car park unlike the very busy co-op car park.

Big G
26-Aug-06, 10:31
I have a relative that works at Co-op - and apparently the only reason they can think of that management would open a till just for a staff member would be if the staff member is on a break. The breaks are only 15 minutes long, so it makes sense for management to serve their employees so they can use their break to best advantage. I suppose this makes sense from an employees' point of view - if I'm an employee and I've been working for 5 hours and need a break, and have to spend most of that break queing for a snack, then I'm going to be an unhappy staff member!

No she was finished her work as she was in shopping with her husband and had their basket full!

crystal
26-Aug-06, 11:42
I was in the coop today in Thurso and it was quite busy, queues at all the tills. There was a member of staff who had finished her work and was doing some shopping. When i went to the check-out i seen another member of staff that was working opening a till especially for this other member of staff. I was really mad as i had been standing in the queue for about 10 mins and she came straight up and got a till especially opened for her!

I think wether they are staff or not they should be made to wait in a queue!

This is the second time i have seen this happen and it is not fair!

Anyone else had the same experience? very bad form from the coop so ignerent[evil]

daviddd
26-Aug-06, 12:10
If only....the furthest they deliver to is the Tain area. They deliver to about a 30 mile radius from the nearest premises. I used to get my shopping delivered (I lived in Ross-Shire) and the staff were smashing. Friendly, helpful and polite.you can bet your life they won't deliver to a 30 mile radius of Wick!! Not enough population.

sjwahwah
26-Aug-06, 12:18

sounds plausible if this is the case.

sjwahwah
26-Aug-06, 12:22
you can bet your life they won't deliver to a 30 mile radius of Wick!! Not enough population.

perhaps this can be remedied or will be in the future?

I understand there is a Farmers Market in Wick every Saturday. What is available? Is there a good selection of veggies and fruits and what have you? I've never been to it so I don't know... just wondering?

daviddd
26-Aug-06, 19:46
perhaps this can be remedied or will be in the future?

I understand there is a Farmers Market in Wick every Saturday. What is available? Is there a good selection of veggies and fruits and what have you? I've never been to it so I don't know... just wondering?There's usually a cake / biscuit stall (co, from Ullapool I think) and you can always get local eggs and honey. the times I've been (maybe once a month) there hasn't been much else.

Naefearjustbeer
26-Aug-06, 21:08
LAst time I was at there were local eggs which sold out pretty fast, Cakes and things locals from Latheron. Berries from Halkirk and some plants for sale. Also local honey all good stuff :D

engiebenjy
26-Aug-06, 21:45
very bad form from the coop so ignerent[evil]
I know somebody who phoned the coop because she knew that somebody was stealing from the shop. Not just a packet of frozen peas stuffed up the jumper, but trolley loads. (she had been seen doing it). The offender was named, and had described exactly how she was doing it. The manager of the coop was not in the least bit interested, to the point of being rude, and said quite simply that it was something that happened.

Naefearjustbeer
27-Aug-06, 08:54
I know somebody who phoned the coop because she knew that somebody was stealing from the shop. Not just a packet of frozen peas stuffed up the jumper, but trolley loads. (she had been seen doing it). The offender was named, and had described exactly how she was doing it. The manager of the coop was not in the least bit interested, to the point of being rude, and said quite simply that it was something that happened.

If that is the case then the phone call should be to the police. If the shop is not interested then that in itself is a crime. Shoplifting puts the prices up for all the innocent shoppers. I would think if the police had a reported theft they would be duty bound to investigate.

stompy
27-Aug-06, 09:34
I wish!! Farmers market really needs to be developed if it is to provide any real alternative- there is only so much honey I can buy in a year!

Blast!
29-Aug-06, 18:26
i'm afraid the Co-op can do nothing about theft from within the shop unless a member of STAFF actually see's someone take the item and put it in their bag/pocket. What someone phone's up to say can't be taken for truth nor lie.

Even then - that's not theft - not until the accused has pass the last checkout point. In this case it's the Kiosk and by that time they're basically out the door.

If someone walks out the store with a trolley full how is anyone supposed to know if it's been paid for??? The checkout staff can only keep track of their queue and the shop floor staff are always busy.

As the manager says - 'it happens.'

Big G
29-Aug-06, 19:27
i'm afraid the Co-op can do nothing about theft from within the shop unless a member of STAFF actually see's someone take the item and put it in their bag/pocket. What someone phone's up to say can't be taken for truth nor lie.

Even then - that's not theft - not until the accused has pass the last checkout point. In this case it's the Kiosk and by that time they're basically out the door.

If someone walks out the store with a trolley full how is anyone supposed to know if it's been paid for??? The checkout staff can only keep track of their queue and the shop floor staff are always busy.

As the manager says - 'it happens.'

Most people put their shopping in carrier bags so if someone walks out with a trolley load full with unbagged shopping will it not look quite suspicious? and there is also a camera at the front door!

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 19:29
That doesnt sound right to me theft is theft, just because you were not spotted at the time doesnt mean its ok.

obiron
29-Aug-06, 19:30
Most people put their shopping in carrier bags so if someone walks out with a trolley load full with unbagged shopping will it not look quite suspicious? and there is also a camera at the front door!

wouldnt have thought it odd cos a few folk bag there shopping once they get to there car.

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 19:34
The fact that you dont have a receipt would give the game away.

obiron
29-Aug-06, 19:37
there is a lot of folk who dont want them...

bigpete
29-Aug-06, 19:48
Big G: "Most people put their shopping in carrier bags so if someone walks out with a trolley load full with unbagged shopping will it not look quite suspicious? "

We don't use carrier bags as we keep boxes in the car and insulated bags for the frozen foods (well the stuff would melt by the time we got home), but hopefully we look honest!

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 19:54
Well it sounds like some folk are happy to put up with others walking out with a full trolley of shopping. I for one am not happy. Say they have stolen £50 worth of shopping. All the rest of us have to pay for that.

stekar
29-Aug-06, 19:54
Varying the topic slightly, went in Co-op in Thurso today and was rather miffed that the stuff they have on offer, BOGOF's or half price stuff, which I wanted to buy had all gone.
Surely if something's on offer they should get extra stock to cope with the demand. Can't imagine Tesco's running out of stuff.

BLACK DOG
29-Aug-06, 20:04
Any shop can run out.
I stopped at Tesco in Inverness last night about 9pm on my way back up to Thurso. Lots of empty shelves , dissappointed but accepted that I had arrived at a bad time.
Even Inverness is somewhat remote even for the mighty Tesco distribution network.

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 20:54
Varying the topic slightly, went in Co-op in Thurso today and was rather miffed that the stuff they have on offer, BOGOF's or half price stuff, which I wanted to buy had all gone.
Surely if something's on offer they should get extra stock to cope with the demand. Can't imagine Tesco's running out of stuff.

The BOGOF stuff I always thought was to get rid of excess stock. They wont be taking extra in if that was the case. once its gone its gone. You have to be in quick to beat the grannies to the bargains LOL

stekar
30-Aug-06, 21:23
The BOGOF stuff I always thought was to get rid of excess stock. They wont be taking extra in if that was the case. once its gone its gone. You have to be in quick to beat the grannies to the bargains LOL

LOL not sure if the grannies would be fighting for it....Robinsons Orange juice. Not something they would have excess stock of. Still dinna have any today.

carasmam
30-Aug-06, 21:54
Isn't it annoying when there's something on bogof and there is only one on the shelf !!!!:roll:

changilass
31-Aug-06, 15:36
Isn't it annoying when there's something on bogof and there is only one on the shelf !!!!:roll:

I don't know if they have changed, but Tesco policy on this was that if you went to customer services they would give you a voucher and when more stock came in you could get your 'free' one.

Teso also run the 'one in front' policy - this basically means that if there is more than one customer in front of you in the checkout queue, they will open another till, untill such a time as all tills are open. The shop floor staff are all trained on tills so they can stop what they are doing and jump onto the tills.

footie chick
31-Aug-06, 15:42
The fact that you dont have a receipt would give the game away.

Alot of the time they dont give you a receipt especially the coop!

Ref Changilass and vouchers when Safeway first came the did that was a very good idea and seemed to work.

Naefearjustbeer
31-Aug-06, 17:05
Alot of the time they dont give you a receipt especially the coop!

Ref Changilass and vouchers when Safeway first came the did that was a very good idea and seemed to work.

I have never not recieved a receipt in the coop. Maybe I look like a crim and they think i need some sort of proof of purchase on me all the time ;)

connieb19
31-Aug-06, 17:34
If i'm in the Coop buying shopping for my work, I always have to ask for a receipt. If you don't ask for one, you don't get one anymore.