PDA

View Full Version : Brave old Lady

donnick
08-Feb-11, 11:48
Check out this old Lady she deserves a brave badge :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1woGJD0yJs

brandy
08-Feb-11, 12:13
omg watched that like 4 times.. horrified it was even happening! but then when you see her charging across the street and attack the yobs! and they run from her and then get beat down!! beautiful!!

BO-PEEP
08-Feb-11, 12:28
Good on the lady, i would have done the same, but no-one went to help her untill SHE had bashed them over the head and sent them fleeing, shame on all those men who must have stood by and watched.

debimac
08-Feb-11, 12:50
Good on the lady, i would have done the same, but no-one went to help her untill SHE had bashed them over the head and sent them fleeing, shame on all those men who must have stood by and watched.

Do you know i felt exactly the same!
The woman in her seventies was like supergran legging it over the road!
I said exactly the same thing noone helped until she had got stuck in with her handbag!
Maybe a bit silly of her to do it but in a situation like that i think you go on your gut feeling and think about it later!
Blless her! :)

shazzap
08-Feb-11, 12:59
Is this video true.
It looks like something from, Candid camera.

Doreen
08-Feb-11, 13:01
Wot a brave lady putting herself in danger to stop that thugs she deserves recognition for that im well impressed with her actions.

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 13:06
Check out this old Lady she deserves a brave badge :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1emPOL2a_Y

Clicked on link: "this video has been removed by the user. Sorry about that."???

brandy
08-Feb-11, 13:15
hmm it was working.. wonder why they removed it

Corrie 3
08-Feb-11, 13:49
Was it this one????

C3.....:roll:;)

http://www.itv.com/anglia/armed-robbery-footage07521/

Kodiak
08-Feb-11, 14:21
I am suspicious about this Video.

The person who is using the camera seems quite content in just making a record of what is happening. No one else seems to be interested in what is happening, even the staff in the shop do not seem to be worried.

The raiders can't seem to smash the window with a sledge hammer. I know the glass is tough but not this tough.

Also why did the Raiders not just walk in the doo,r as you clearly see a member of the staff standing in the open doorway.

Not only that this little old lady is seen running to the raiders from quite a distance away. This is fishy in its self.

Personally I have doubts that this was for real and that it was just a set up.

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 14:24
Was it this one????

C3.....:roll:;)

http://www.itv.com/anglia/armed-robbery-footage07521/
Nope - but it'll do fine - nice to see a young lad holding the git down as well as an old lady doing her bit..

shazzap
08-Feb-11, 14:33
As i said in a previous post.
Smile your on Candid Camera.[lol]

brandy
08-Feb-11, 14:38
thanks for the last post.. added a lot to the story! god bless her .. she was put out because she had a dancing lesson on that day! i bet she was some firecracker in her heyday

changilass
08-Feb-11, 14:44
She would have been getting called a daft owld bat if they had hit back at her and put her in hospital, or worse.

You would hope that the national news would check out videos afore airing them to find out if they were made up.

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 15:46
She would have been getting called a daft owld bat if they had hit back at her and put her in hospital, or worse.

You would hope that the national news would check out videos afore airing them to find out if they were made up.

This was made up!?

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 15:51
Northampton Police web site http://www.northants.police.uk/default.aspx?id=6902&datewant=yes

Gizmo
08-Feb-11, 16:12
There was an interview on the BBC news with the Jeweler they tried to rob, so the video footage is genuine.

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 17:06
I am suspicious about this Video.

The person who is using the camera seems quite content in just making a record of what is happening. No one else seems to be interested in what is happening, even the staff in the shop do not seem to be worried.

The raiders can't seem to smash the window with a sledge hammer. I know the glass is tough but not this tough.

Also why did the Raiders not just walk in the doo,r as you clearly see a member of the staff standing in the open doorway.

Not only that this little old lady is seen running to the raiders from quite a distance away. This is fishy in its self.

Personally I have doubts that this was for real and that it was just a set up.
Seems perfect genuine, the fact that no one moved a muscle is typical in those situations, people either think "I ain't getting involved" or "someone else will do something" perfectly apathetic.
The person in the Jewellers sees whats going on, goes back further (well would you come out with that lot there?) and within a short while the steel blinds come down.. The sledge hammers did break the glass - as can be seen by one of the men putting his hand through the hole..

It seems this is the modern way to do it, there has been a spate of such robberies: "Five bikers mounted the pavement and screeched to a halt outside Mappin & Webb's Piccadilly store in the West End. They boldly spent five minutes beating through the reinforced glass windows with a sledgehammer and helping themselves to the goods, worth at least £50,000. And when astonished passers-by stopped to look, the gang members drove their bikes at them to ward them off. Amazingly, one man walked right past the robbers as if nothing was happening just as one of the group was leaning into the window and swiping jewels from the display."

changilass
08-Feb-11, 17:16
This was made up!?

I wasn't saying it was made up.

Sorry I didn't make it clear that I was responding to the previous posts that were speculating on it and saying that as national news had covered it, they would surely have checked on its validity.

As you say Becks, it seems to be a sign of the times, but then when you hear other stories of folks being killed when trying to help out, I suppose you can see why this happens. Sad all the same.

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 17:40
I wasn't saying it was made up.

Sorry I didn't make it clear that I was responding to the previous posts that were speculating on it and saying that as national news had covered it, they would surely have checked on its validity.

As you say Becks, it seems to be a sign of the times, but then when you hear other stories of folks being killed when trying to help out, I suppose you can see why this happens. Sad all the same.

It's a sign of the times, as Kodiak says; "No one else seems to be interested in what is happening, even the staff in the shop do not seem to be worried." Obviously there will be people who prefer to blend into the background, and are possible too timid, then again you may get an old battleaxe who remembers the Police entreaties; "to have a go".. it's got to be an instant judgement,

I remember many years ago in Brixton, Mrs Beks and I were about to pull into a space by the pavement to go to a chippy, just as she was about to pull in, a big Merc, with five Jamaicans (had a sticker on the back) nipped in and took 'our' space.. These chaps were about 7 foot tall and five foot across, and when Mrs Beks started pressing on the horn and flashing them, I intimated it was not quite the right time, and with a brief smile and a wave from me, we drove off - discretion is the better part of valour.

It seems from reports the person involved in holding down one of these robbers was the cameraman, but there are occasions such as
Sukhwinder Singh, 31, was stabbed to death after chasing muggers who had snatched a 28-year-old woman's handbag in Barking, east London, on 8 January.
• Frazer Bradshaw, 33, suffered fatal head injuries as he tried to break up a brawl outside a pub in Uxbridge, west London, in the early hours of New Year's Day.
• David Joslin, 23, was fatally injured trying to break up a fight between two groups as he walked past them in Chingford, east London, on 20 December.
It's a personal call, but I would not ever wish to be in a situation (being disabled) where I'm getting a good kicking whilst perfectly healthy and strong men walk by.. I could not live with myself if I was one of those..

upolian
08-Feb-11, 17:42
I'd personally like to meet this woman,she is my hero

changilass
08-Feb-11, 17:51
I don't think anyone can say how they would react to any given circumstance till it happens.

I always thought that if mugged, I would simply say 'take it', health being more important than material things.

Yet when I was mugged a number of years ago, I went chasing after the guy, the only thing going through my mind was that it was 'mine and you can't have it'. All I got for my trouble was a broken nose, the guy did get some rather nasty gouges on his face and hands from when I attacked him to try to get the bag back.

It is hard to guage how you would react without being there.

Just glad the old wifie didn't get hurt, it could have been a totally different story.

shazzap
08-Feb-11, 18:06
Seems i am wrong.

Apology.

The lady is brave but foolish. But I'd take my hat off to you if i had one.
I worked some years ago in an off license. The bell went on entry to the shop. To cut a long story short. I went to serve the customer, and was confronted by a masked gun man. I laughed. Strange i know, but that is what i did.

oldmarine
08-Feb-11, 19:11
The lady certainly looked quite brave on the video, but I question the validity of the whole thing with a photographer taping the whole thing and no one helping. I question that this may have been a setup to stage the whole event. You know - something like candid camera.

upolian
08-Feb-11, 19:12
A guy i have worked down there for has confirmed that this is true!!!

shazzap
08-Feb-11, 19:14
The lady certainly looked quite brave on the video, but I question the validity of the whole thing with a photographer taping the whole thing and no one helping. I question that this may have been a setup to stage the whole event. You know - something like candid camera.

That was my initial reaction. It just seems funny. But would the news run this if it wasn't true. They wouldn't................ Would they?????????????

oldmarine
08-Feb-11, 19:19
A guy i have worked down there for has confirmed that this is true!!!

If that guy was there, why didn't he help?

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 19:19

Yep, and Northants coppers are involved too!

"Statement issued on behalf of Ann Timson of Spring Boroughs, Northampton in respect of the robbery in Northampton town centre yesterday morning (Monday 7 February).
Ann, who is aged in her seventies and is retired, used to be a market trader in Northampton.
She said: “I’d been shopping in the town and was on my way down Gold Street when I met a friend and stopped to have a chat.
“I became aware of a loud revving noise at the top of the street. I looked over and saw a kid run up to the doorway of the jeweller which is on the corner of Bridge Street.
“Three lads followed him and when I saw their arms going I thought the kid was being beaten up.
“My mother’s instinct kicked in and I ran across the road shouting at the lads to stop it.
“Only then did I realise that they were smashing glass and that it was a raid.
“There was a scooter in my path revving up but by now I was in full flight and I started whacking the lads over the head with my shopping bag.
“Passers by didn’t come to my assistance to begin with. I was amazed at that, but they all seemed mesmerised.
“A lot were standing there filming or taking photos and I wonder whether more people didn’t intervene because they thought the raid was being mocked up.
“In the cold light of day, I know I put myself in danger. But I probably would do the same again.
“My red coat has now been packed away for the winter and my red hair is being dyed green. And my black shopping bag is having a rest today, to give it time to recover from its bruises!”

Statement from Deputy Chief Constable Suzette Davenport
“I have today met with Ann and, on behalf of the Force, thanked her for what she did.
“She demonstrated true community spirit in wanting to help others but we should acknowledge that this did involve a clear element of risk.”
http://www.northants.police.uk/default.aspx?id=6914&datewant=yes

oldmarine
08-Feb-11, 19:20
That was my initial reaction. It just seems funny. But would the news run this if it wasn't true. They wouldn't................ Would they?????????????

Sometimes I have to question even the news. They are liable to do anything for a story.

oldmarine
08-Feb-11, 19:23
Yep, and Northants coppers are involved too!

"Statement issued on behalf of Ann Timson of Spring Boroughs, Northampton in respect of the robbery in Northampton town centre yesterday morning (Monday 7 February).
Ann, who is aged in her seventies and is retired, used to be a market trader in Northampton.
She said: “I’d been shopping in the town and was on my way down Gold Street when I met a friend and stopped to have a chat.
“I became aware of a loud revving noise at the top of the street. I looked over and saw a kid run up to the doorway of the jeweller which is on the corner of Bridge Street.
“Three lads followed him and when I saw their arms going I thought the kid was being beaten up.
“My mother’s instinct kicked in and I ran across the road shouting at the lads to stop it.
“Only then did I realise that they were smashing glass and that it was a raid.
“There was a scooter in my path revving up but by now I was in full flight and I started whacking the lads over the head with my shopping bag.
“Passers by didn’t come to my assistance to begin with. I was amazed at that, but they all seemed mesmerised.
“A lot were standing there filming or taking photos and I wonder whether more people didn’t intervene because they thought the raid was being mocked up.
“In the cold light of day, I know I put myself in danger. But I probably would do the same again.
“My red coat has now been packed away for the winter and my red hair is being dyed green. And my black shopping bag is having a rest today, to give it time to recover from its bruises!”

Statement from Deputy Chief Constable Suzette Davenport
“I have today met with Ann and, on behalf of the Force, thanked her for what she did.
“She demonstrated true community spirit in wanting to help others but we should acknowledge that this did involve a clear element of risk.”
http://www.northants.police.uk/default.aspx?id=6914&datewant=yes

Looks like everything is a true story and I comment everyone involved who offered their help.

brandy
08-Feb-11, 20:05
she was thinking that some poor lad was getting beat up on.. and she being a mother.. instinct took her over and she tried to help said lad.. before she realized they were all trouble!

upolian
08-Feb-11, 20:05
If that guy was there, why didn't he help?

How can i possibly answer such a question!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you so naive to think this would never happen?

debimac
08-Feb-11, 20:10
Chrisf1961!!
How can you call that lady a stupid old bat?
I know i would be grateful for someone stopping if one of my children were being beat up ( that's what she thought was happening )!
It's just a sorry state when a town centre full of people stand back and watch and supergran has to come to the rescue!
Of course you wouldn't be overjoyed but her generation know standing by and letting people get away with what they like is not acceptable!
I hope she had a brick in that bag!
That's what's wrong today criminals have a good idea people won't get involved and think they can do what they like!

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 20:37
Chrisf1961!!
How can you call that lady a stupid old bat?
I know i would be grateful for someone stopping if one of my children were being beat up ( that's what she thought was happening )!
It's just a sorry state when a town centre full of people stand back and watch and supergran has to come to the rescue!
Of course you wouldn't be overjoyed but her generation know standing by and letting people get away with what they like is not acceptable!
I hope she had a brick in that bag!
That's what's wrong today criminals have a good idea people won't get involved and think they can do what they like!
Might explain it: Chrisf1961 "Dont worry folks, im synical of everything!"

scorrie
08-Feb-11, 22:20
lol i knew somehow id get those replies! nowadays you dont interveen at all. 9 times out of 10 she would have had her skull caved in a bunch of guys wielding bats ...she got lucky and she was the lucky one .........FACT the numpties on the streets are drugged and tooled up and i wouldnt interveen ........simple let em get on with it ...Let me tell you a story many moons ago in my home town of Preston i came back with a mate from a night out when a guy across the road started to do in his partner/girlfiend......Cookie my mate wanted to interveen i didnt simple ....the guy saw us and started threating us ...i just walked away ...SIMPLE WHAT YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU DONT GET INVOLVED WITH...........if others want to well ok no probs carry on ....i dont give a monkeys cuss whoose gettin done over i wont interveen.

I just phoned the old wifie up and told her what your attitude was regarding this. She said:-

"Hi Scorrie my old pal, I can only hope that, if yer man should find himself getting a kicking from a gang of youths someday, that some good samaritan from our society will have the decency and courage to take that step forward, cross the road, reach out their arm and hand those yobs a baseball bat so that they can make a proper job of it!!" ;)

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 23:26
lol i knew somehow id get those replies! nowadays you dont interveen at all. 9 times out of 10 she would have had her skull caved in a bunch of guys wielding bats ...she got lucky and she was the lucky one .........FACT the numpties on the streets are drugged and tooled up and i wouldnt interveen ........simple let em get on with it ...Let me tell you a story many moons ago in my home town of Preston i came back with a mate from a night out when a guy across the road started to do in his partner/girlfiend......Cookie my mate wanted to interveen i didnt simple ....the guy saw us and started threating us ...i just walked away ...SIMPLE WHAT YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU DONT GET INVOLVED WITH...........if others want to well ok no probs carry on ....i dont give a monkeys cuss whoose gettin done over i wont interveen.
Whatever Chrisf1961

bekisman
08-Feb-11, 23:32
Yep, he sounds a right little brave fella...

"A little story for you Munro back in 1976 i went with the North End to Fratton Park where i weas chased off the terraces as the Pompey fans invaded the pitch after Alex Bruce scored his 2nd goal ,Pne won 2-0 and i think Pompey got relegated ,i hid behind a burger trolley which was doing it rounds across the front of the dugouts around the pitch and one Mr Nobby Stiles our manager at the time told me to get back on the terraces ! Now i idolised Nobby but told him You get back on there ! lol Happy Days ! "

bekisman
09-Feb-11, 12:08
That's weird.. Re Chrisf1961, earlier this morning there were two further postings here from him, one says he would not bite and another said "Im taking my leave posting on the forum as i have a far more ..." but they've all gone!. I hope he's not leaving because of the little spat that this thread has generated..
There has always been heated discussions and sometimes extreme opposite opinions, which adds to the 'fire' of the Org. So hopefully he is still with us..

Incidentally a picture of the old dear: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/855021-revealed-first-picture-of-hero-granny-ann-timson seems she's not used to being a passive onlooker; "she has spent ten years challenging the violent criminals on the Northampton estate where she lives, has always stood up to criminals" and "In the cold light of day, I know I put myself in danger. But I probably would do the same again" she said.

shazzap
09-Feb-11, 12:14
That's weird.. Re Chrisf1961, earlier this morning there were two further postings here from him, one says he would not bite and another said "Im taking my leave posting on the forum as i have a far more ..." but they've all gone!. I hope he's not leaving because of the little spat that this thread has generated..
There has always been heated discussions and sometimes extreme opposite opinions, which adds to the 'fire' of the Org. So hopefully he is still with us..

Incidentally a picture of the old dear: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/855021-revealed-first-picture-of-hero-granny-ann-timson seems she's not used to being a passive onlooker; "she has spent ten years challenging the violent criminals on the Northampton estate where she lives, has always stood up to criminals" and "In the cold light of day, I know I put myself in danger. But I probably would do the same again" she said.

I saw the posts you mentioned.
Also hope the member isn't leaving. Heated discussions will always be part and parcel of the Org.
I am a firm believer in. If you can't take it, don't give it.

suzyq
10-Feb-11, 11:22
Friend of mine sent me the following link which explains about the cameraman etc.
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/exclusive_supergran_speaks_to_the_chron_as_four_me n_are_charged_over_bungled_raid_on_town_centre_jew ellers_1_2390202

Also more of her background here

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/855021-revealed-first-picture-of-hero-granny-ann-timson

As many others have said noone knows what they will do in that or a similar situation but perhaps if more people stood together and got involved it would be one of the best crime prevention measures ever. - Or perhaps the government should re-introduce the old hue and cry system! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hue_and_cry