PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew

Saveman
24-Aug-06, 12:51
I've got some Rowanberry wine on the go and just got some Blackcurrant wine started.....all products of the garden.......anyone else got home brew happening?

Ricco
24-Aug-06, 14:40
Goodness Saveman.. I used to brew a heck of a lot but just don't have time these days. Always made blackcurrent, blackberry, elderberry, raspberry, plum. Tried strawberry but it was always a disaster. Would love to try blueberry. ;)

cuddlepop
24-Aug-06, 14:50
I remember when we were little going to pick all the different types of autumnal berries.I loved bramble wine,haven't tasted it in years.YOu've brought some fond memories back....:)

Rheghead
24-Aug-06, 15:35
I like a drop of home brew wine but I never get around to doing it!:(

My fave is elderflower which is inabundance in Caithness in the spring but now I might have to settle for the berry version.:D

tmansteve
24-Aug-06, 15:44
Thats got me thinking. I have all the stuff somewhere and will be getting into the brew making very soon. Nothing like the taste of your own brew. Only thing is, knowing when to stop. he he

Buttercup
24-Aug-06, 16:11
Used to make gallons of wine of every kind imaginable. I think my favourite has to be Whin ~ lovely but very potent!:lol:

Carlo Gambino
24-Aug-06, 16:28
I seem to remember Boots selling the brewing materials several years ago, I havnt heard of anybody making home made beer for many years though, which is a shame as it tastes delicious?/dodgy but gives an evil kick if you take too much

Saveman
24-Aug-06, 16:56
I seem to remember Boots selling the brewing materials several years ago, I havnt heard of anybody making home made beer for many years though, which is a shame as it tastes delicious?/dodgy but gives an evil kick if you take too much

I've got all the equipment for making beer but not started any this year........so far.... ;)

obiron
24-Aug-06, 17:46
dunderheed has been at the home brew. had a taste of the white wine (v strong) blackcurrant wine (sweet and yummy) and lager (darn delicious). a very tasty time was had.

changilass
24-Aug-06, 17:55
Got all the stuff for making lager and stout when we were last in Edinburgh, but too busy doing the house to get round to it, the rate we are going we may have it ready in time for christmas, which year is still debatable

paris
24-Aug-06, 18:39
Made loads in my time but i must say i like nettle wine best and boy is it potent. Has anyone made the solomon grundy wine in a box. its ready in 2 weeks and very very strong. ive crawled home many a time from it. jan x

canuck
25-Aug-06, 03:17
Got all the stuff for making lager and stout when we were last in Edinburgh, but too busy doing the house to get round to it, the rate we are going we may have it ready in time for christmas, which year is still debatable

Changilass, when I come to look after the dogs I will get the project started.

In third year chemistry we made beer as a project to test the increase in the alcohol content (or something like that.) My lab partner and I got an A, but since we were both under age at the time I think that we gave it all away. I am sure that I can remember the process involved.

My manse glebe had grape vines and we made that into quite a powerful drink one year. No one would drink it, but it made for great drain cleaner. The village sewer system was as clean as a whistle the week we moved to Burlington.

Naefearjustbeer
25-Aug-06, 08:35
I havent made any recently but have made gooseberry, rhubarb redcurrant and blackcurrant wine in the past. Blackcurrant and rhubarb were the best tasting but the goosberry was good for a good clean out:eek: . The last couple of years my berries have not had good crops so I havent had enough to make a batch of wine.:(

Spirit
25-Aug-06, 22:07
I fancy giving the old home brew a go again ..I used to use the tinned fruit concentrate but can anyone tell me how to make wine using wild berries from scratch? I still have all the gear so i reckon I should get it dusted down n' put to a good use.

Whitewater
25-Aug-06, 22:22
I fancy giving the old home brew a go again ..I used to use the tinned fruit concentrate but can anyone tell me how to make wine using wild berries from scratch? I still have all the gear so i reckon I should get it dusted down n' put to a good use.

You should be able to get wine making books from the library. I used to brew a lot of beer and wine in my younger days but my wife banned it, so I just have to buy it now.

percy toboggan
25-Aug-06, 23:41
I brewed my own ale back in the eighties. I packed it in when I finally realised I was coming home from work and getting pie-eyed before tea was on t'table like. I was also developing a beer-gut.

It's cheap and it's tasty but at the end of the day, and at tea-time, you can have too much of a good thing.

Naefearjustbeer
26-Aug-06, 00:54

What ever fruit you have availlible just do a google search for home made wine with it, Loads of free recipes out on the web

http://www.zen37219.zen.co.uk/recipes.htm

Spirit
26-Aug-06, 16:49
What ever fruit you have availlible just do a google search for home made wine with it, Loads of free recipes out on the web

http://www.zen37219.zen.co.uk/recipes.htm

Thanks, this is a great wee site.

lorr_mun14
29-Aug-06, 14:29
My dad was a fantastic homebrewer, making both wine and lager & beer, he even supplied our red wine at our wedding, and it was the BEST, although potent. He made wicked bramble wine and also used to tap the birch trees for the sap (boring a small hole in them to allow the sap to come out - don't know if it is harmful to the tree or not, but the wine was lethal!). He also made beautiful gorse wine. We miss his wine (and him) alot. However, my brother seems to have taken over from him, and has mastered the art! I am keen to try start making my own wine, so if there is anybody out there who does not want to dust down their old kits and are thinking of getting rid, I would be happy to buy them off you for a reasonable price! PM me if you do.

dunderheed
01-Sep-06, 08:29
to add to the ones that obiron mentioned , i've also got a blackcherry concentrate on the go.unfortunately boots no longer sell kits , however morrisons do , so if your in inverness you can pick them up there.

highlander
01-Sep-06, 12:48
Its a pity you we all dont live in caithness, we could have had a brill swop shop, and all this different wines and beers would have been great night out.
Would love to try and make all this different wines and beers, but the kit is so expensive to buy.