PDA

View Full Version : Charity Mugging

The Drunken Duck
07-Feb-11, 13:19
Not sure if this phenomenon has made its way to Caithness yet but in Aberdeen you cant walk more than half a street without some student popping into your face asking you to front up a few quid for their chosen charity every month through Direct Debit, not Standing Order mind, it has to be Direct Debit with all the risk that entails. They are known here as Charity Muggers or "Chuggers".

I am all for charity, I have even rattled a tin myself for a few causes but I dont approach people like I am their best mate and talk to them like they are thick to extract money out of them, and anyway they are on commission for the people they sign up. The last guy to do it was raising for the Red Cross but seeing as they happily provide First Aid training for the Taliban he can stuff off. I asked him if any of his colleagues were rattling the tin in downtown Kabul. Silence. Its the overt chasing I dont like. Anyway if they think their charity is so worthy why dont they have a wash and a shave and get a proper job. Then they can pony up some of their own cash.

So is it ok to actively chase people like this or should it be the stoic old fashioned man with a tin who gives it a rattle every now and then ??, I for one am more likely to give to the polite tin rattler myself whatever the cause.

golach
07-Feb-11, 13:41
Edinburgh Council are trying to ban Chuggers, the sooner the better, next I would like to see going are the Eastern European Big Issue sellers

squidge
07-Feb-11, 14:03
I actually thought you were not allowed to approach people. I don't take anyone on that approaches me with a clipboard in the street. I put my hand up and say I'm too busy and walk on. I'll happily give to tin shakers or bag packers though.

theone
07-Feb-11, 14:13
Yip, they're terrible in Aberdeen outside the St Nicholas and Trinity shopping centres.

I hope other councils take the initiative of Edinburgh council and ban them.

crashbandicoot1979
07-Feb-11, 14:19
I've never seen Chuuggers on the street up here although a bloke did come to my door towards the end of last year asking me to set up a Direct Debit for some charity or another, it was the same concept as a chugger - young student type who spoke to me as if we were best friends. I have no qualms about people coming round with a tin, but asking me to hand over my bank details on my doorstep/on the street? No chance.

orkneycadian
07-Feb-11, 14:34
A few weeks ago in the Union Square shopping centre in Aberdeen, there were students everywhere with their collecting buckets. Ones every 10 yards or so. Got fed up telling them all that I had given something to the one by the door, and they weren't all getting something for the same cause!

Hoida
07-Feb-11, 14:36
Haven't heard of this going on up here but have been approached numerous times on Princes Street in Edinburgh also on Lothian road.Always say not interested and walk on.

Gronnuck
07-Feb-11, 14:42
Chuggers are a real pain in the a£$e. The reason why charities use them is a mystery to me; I think they do more harm to the charity's reputation than anything else. Even if there was some credibility to the old adage, "You have to speculate to accumulate," I can't imagine they would be economically viable.
Experience tells me that people do support charities of their own choosing. Many do so through the Gift Aid Scheme or with private donations without making a big song and dance about it. I must admit to being choosey which charity collector I support.

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-11, 14:44
We have had them at the door, but never been stoped in the street.

I was given to believe that it's OK to have a collection tin for a registered charity, but illegal to shake it.

Metalattakk
07-Feb-11, 15:07
Chugging? For money?? On the streets of Aberdeen??? :eek:

Nah, someone's pulling a leg here. . . [lol]

Beat Bug
07-Feb-11, 15:18
[QUOTE=Kevin Milkins;I was given to believe that it's OK to have a collection tin for a registered charity, but illegal to shake it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, It's illegal to shake a tin. It's a form of begging. And to be in the street collecting for charity, permission has to be obtained from the relevant council. Alos, by having permission, it reduces the possibility of more than one charity competing on the same day.

bekisman
07-Feb-11, 15:45
Chugger? oh you mean "high street warrior" it seems*1
Some interesting comments at bottom..

'If you give money to charity through chuggers – "charity muggers" – the money you give will often go entirely to the street collection company. An investigation by Newsnight has found that the professional chugger companies frequently charge the charities employing them £100 or more for each member of the public who signs up in the street or on his doorstep to a direct debit. This means the firms make tens of millions each year, but it often takes a year before the charity sees any of it – the rest has gone to the chugger firm'. *2

*1 http://blogs.redcross.org.uk/fundraising-and-events/2010/08/guest-post-in-defence-of-chuggers/ (http://blogs.redcross.org.uk/fundraising-and-events/2010/08/guest-post-in-defence-of-chuggers/)
*2 http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2010/08/28/charities-missing-out-as-fees-for-chuggers-wipe-out-donations/

pat
07-Feb-11, 20:16
I had a couple of these very well dressed gentlemen staying with me - they had a table in TESCO and were getting folk over here to sponsor an animal at £2 a week direct debit.
These gentlemen were getting paid £90 for every person they signed up.
In a year that charity would only receive £14 of the £104 of your hard earned money.
They kept saying how generous the folk on the Western Isles were - no wonder these were eating out in the most expensive restaurant and each running a very new very expensive car.
Needless to say they did not ask me to sign on the dotted line.

nicnak
07-Feb-11, 20:47
its the same in Inverness when you walk up the precinct from the eastgate centre they always try and nab you there, it really hacks me off as they wont take no for an answer, once with an amnesty international one i actually had to resort to shouting two very strong words at them to leave us alone. Its not funny or charitable , its intimidating and threatening.

The Drunken Duck
07-Feb-11, 21:02
Glad to see it isnt just me. I was in Aberdeen earlier picking up my girlfriend who works on Union St and we decided to go for a quick drink before driving home, we only had soft drinks so dont worry !!, We got stopped outside the Trinity Center by a lad who walked right in front of us with his smiley "Hello Mate" routine, he had seen us coming and despite us altering track to avoid him he just moved so he basically blocked out path. Despite telling him "Sorry, not interested mate" he just launched into a spiel for Unicef. We had to dodge twice before getting past him. The girlfriend was livid.

Phill
07-Feb-11, 21:44
People like this makes 'the right to bear arms' seem like a good idea. Instead of wasting your time trying to justify why you don't want to sponsor gerry the gnome now he's been rehoused to a gnome sanctuary (with bi annual progress updates) for £15 per month, you can just bust a cap in their ass and get on with your day.
These types were about in the 90's but constantly doing survey & polls and other such crap, couldn't get from one end of Market St in Manchester to the other without at least a dozen getting in your way. Similar tactics too, leaping in front of you to make you stop. I was running late one day and rushing back to get the buzz and one of these clowns sprung in front of me waving their clip board in my face, put them on their arse when I didn't stop.

Fluff
08-Feb-11, 11:20
My OH & I have found 2 lines that work particularly well if they won't listen.
"I'm unemployed" and "I don't have a bank account"

Then THEY walk away lol!

pat
08-Feb-11, 15:22
Yes but why should you feel you haved to lie to get rid of these leeches.

I just say'No', if they insist I stop and ask them 'What part of NO do you not understand?' they leave me alone after that.

If they continue you can complain to the police and say you are being hassled - or I will walk up to police and talk to them which is enough to make the folk clear off and behave.

neilsermk1
08-Feb-11, 20:26
I usually find that if you tell them to "Foxtrot Oscar" they generally do.