PDA

View Full Version : Another question - this time re primary schools

amethyst03
06-Feb-11, 21:51
Hello all again

After everyone being extremely helpful with rented house, I thought I would ask people's opinions on the local schools that feed into Thurso High.

Have been looking at Mount Pleasant, Halkirk, Pennylands and Crossroads.

If anyone has info/opinions on them I would be really grateful

Thanks

Calvin And Hobbes
06-Feb-11, 21:58
Hi there

I think it all depends upon where you live. The schools you mentioned are from a wide area around the county.

If you are going to be living in Thurso itself then there are three primary schools, Miller Academy (where my children attend), Mount Pleasant and Pennyland. All three have specific catchment areas from around the town.

Many of the smaller villages and outlying areas all have primarys - Halkirk & Crossroads are two that you have mentioned but there are more that also feed into Thurso High School.

My advice to you would be see what the school is in your catchment area and take it from there.

Hope this helps.

amethyst03
06-Feb-11, 22:04
Thanks for reply

Trouble is we haven't got a location to live in!

We are planning to rent and then move so we could end up being further away from the school he goes to initially.

I don't mind this as I would be taking him and picking him up anyway. I have spoke to a couple of the schools and they all have spaces for him so catchment area isn't a problem for him to get a place at the minute if that makes sense.

Just trying to get a feel for the different ones. Have read the HMIE reports on them but some are quite old so wanted more recent feedback

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-11, 22:11
Heya!

My 2 stepsons (7 & 9) both go to Pennyland Primary and have both been there since nursery, also my 2 year old is going there next year when he is old enough.

I have to say that the staff are excellent, the head mistress is very polite and will do anything she can to help you. Im sure you can pop in and ask for more information at the schools you have mentioned.

But i have to say Pennyland is an excellent school. I went to Miller Academy myself when i was wee though. It was good then but that was years ago but iv heard its a very good school too!

iain
06-Feb-11, 23:37
Reay primary is very good.They had an excellent report last year.There may be a couple of houses for rent in the area if you are interested?

Kodiak
06-Feb-11, 23:57
If you do get a house in Thurso then Pennyland is the School for you. Both of my Sons went there and they provided them with a great platform to go on to High School with.

chaz
07-Feb-11, 08:35
We live near thurso but i kept my daughter at watten school when we moved house, good school, small and friendly, 3 of my older children went there and cant fault it. It has a choice of wick or thurso high schools.

mum23boys
07-Feb-11, 09:40
My kids go to Miller Academy which is a great school but to be honest I think all the schools in Thurso are all really good from what I have heard sorry dont know about the country schools :)

lindsaymcc
07-Feb-11, 10:33
Everyone is going to stick up for their own schools!

When we relocated here last year, I had my heart set on them attending Pennyland, but due to numbers for this years P1 class, we couldnt get both girls in. We ended up at Miller Academy, and it has been brilliant! The nursery (3 Bears) is also fabulous and Im not disappointed we didnt get our first choice.

Havent heard anything about Mount Pleasant though, so cant help with that one.

Of course, the Highland Council are conducting a review of the Primary Schools up here, so what you choose now could be different later down the line anyway!

amethyst03
07-Feb-11, 12:44
Hello all

Thanks for all the replies. Is interesting to hear from parents at the schools. Seems all schools have positives.

I had heard about rumours of closure etc and reading on the Highland council website and the report into the review it seems to indicate the review itself will take 5 years. It seems also to be reviewing Wick area and doesn't confirm any closure is definately going to happen. It is looking into the buildings and there suitability.

Maybe I am being niave in my thinking but surly they couldn't just close one of the larger school (ie those with 100 +) pupils and relocate them. Is it likely that if any schools close it would be the smaller village schools?

Also the report seems to show that Wick high school has 11 feeder schools with 906 pupils and Thurso High has 7 with 945 pupils. This would indicate to me that closures may be more likely within the Wick schools.

Apologies if I have made mistakes in my understanding of the report or in my post - have been reading whilst sorting my baby out!

What are peoples views on the closures?

Scarybiscuits03
07-Feb-11, 12:56
I live in Castletown but my child goes to Mount Pleasant. They have a brilliant nursery there and my daughter is now in P3 and has loved every year there. The teachers are all very friendly and approachable and they also cater for special needs children.

Everyone is going to suggest the school that their children attend and to be honest all three Primaries in Thurso are extremely good schools, so I don't think it would matter which one you decide to send your child to. The closest to you would probably be the most suitable, so that your child could play with friends in the area that they know through school.

amethyst03
07-Feb-11, 21:01
Thanks Scarybiscuits.

I would look to send him to the nearest. As you say in terms of friendships etc it would be easier. We just don't know where we will be living in the long term so we could end up a distance away from any school he attends.

So hard trying to decide.

We are going to go and visit a few and see what they are like.

Thanks again for the replies