PDA

View Full Version : Sarcastic/bitchy replies to my posts

RockChick84
24-Aug-06, 10:10
Ever since I began posting on here I've experienced nothing but sarcastic or bitchy replies to my posts. I joined the forum because when I read the posts I thought it was a friendly place to post topics and opinions. I have rarely posted because I've had mainly negative responses and sarcasm directed at me and it's never justified because I don't set out to be offensive or rile people up. I made one small spelling mistake in a post I made which was done in a rush as I was at work and shouldn't have been online at the time, and I got this sarcastic reply rather than the feedback I'd have liked. It puts me off posting at all.

golach
24-Aug-06, 10:23
Ever since I began posting on here I've experienced nothing but sarcastic or bitchy replies to my posts. I joined the forum because when I read the posts I thought it was a friendly place to post topics and opinions. I have rarely posted because I've had mainly negative responses and sarcasm directed at me and it's never justified because I don't set out to be offensive or rile people up. I made one small spelling mistake in a post I made which was done in a rush as I was at work and shouldn't have been online at the time, and I got this sarcastic reply rather than the feedback I'd have liked. It puts me off posting at all.
You have the answer at your fingertips top right of all the offending posts, either bad rep the poster or complain if you find the post offensive

saxovtr
24-Aug-06, 10:27
i know how it feels!!

Bingobabe
24-Aug-06, 10:43
Im afraid you have to just take it on the chin like the rest of us!!!!!! I know on a few occassions a few certain people have clearly tried to belittle me because of my grammar. And because i can be very (opionated) at times It can offend people but generally this is not intended, There are alot of really nice people on here and enjoy the org. So you either have to get a thicker skin or bite back. But i have to say on my final note that this is only a small part of the org and 99%of the org are a great laugh relax and ignore.:Razz

j4bberw0ck
24-Aug-06, 11:22

I just read all your posts and the replies you had. I think you're being unfair. Yes, the slip of "physics" for "psychics" - to which the reply could have been interpreted as being humorously intended, anyway, since physics and psychic phenomena couldn't be more opposed, and that's the usual way humour works.

You have a particular objection to blonde jokes, but that's just something you need to live with, and accept that people aren't generally targeting you personally. How do you suppose the Irish feel?

You received a number of helpful and polite replies to your posts about having an abcess (which I hope is now sorted, by the way; I had one under a wisdom tooth, and it wasn't a happy time). Similarly, to your difficulties with people at work who were said to be giving you a hard time and victimising you for being blonde.

It simply isn't true to say
I've had mainly negative responses and sarcasm directed at me Even the posts in the blonde jokes thread saying it wasn't directed at you were polite and reasonable.

I'm not trying to patronise you. I'm definitely not being sarcastic, or negative; just pointing out that generally, people on here have lived up to your expectations when you joined the thread. They've been friendly, and helpful.

Where do you feel that people have been sarcastic and negative?

Kingetter
24-Aug-06, 11:40
"Methinks the lady doth protest too much" - take it on the chin not as a slap on the cheek, it really isn't a personal attack on you - if you weren't liked enough nobody would bother with you. Being ignored is a far worse place to be.

flyfifer
24-Aug-06, 11:49
I know - being shot down in flames for stating my opinion was one thing, but being ignored was not nice either. I've stopped posting now as I can predict the responses and whom they will come from.

Lolabelle
24-Aug-06, 11:52
Hi Rockchick,
Does it really bother you what people who are essentially just words in cyber space say to you or about you? I have written things and been berated (I felt at the time) over them. Accused of being a fool and such, of not doing good research etc... some of which is true and some of which is an opinion. I am a shocking speller and have rotten grammer,(hang on, I am
just looking up grammar/grammer in the dictionary,) ok, it's grammar, I thought that was a vegetable. I don't care. I find the people on here nice, mostly fun and very helpful. Sure some take themselves and their opinions more seriously than I would, but hey, that's ok, I can just not enter into the posts if I don't like it. There is always the old ignore option.

Don't be driven away by what might be your veiw of their comments or opinions, you could always PM someone and ask what they meant by a comment, you may have misinterpreted what they actually meant.
But if you are like me, you could always have a dictionary next to the computer,lol, think how good it will be for us to learn how to spell better!
Hang in there mate, I enjoy your posts, and I am sure I am not the only one.
Lola

j4bberw0ck
24-Aug-06, 12:04
Yes, the slip of "physics" for "psychics" - to which the reply could have been interpreted as being humorously intended, anyway, since physics and psychic phenomena couldn't be more opposed, and that's the usual way humour works.

Sorry, meant to add to this statement that more support for the humorous intention comes from the fact that you've an almost zero rate of spelling, grammar or typo errors. It would be churlish in the extreme to jump on someone's first typo, and people here aren't like that as far as I can see. Anyone can make a simple mistake when typong in hsate - even that eloquent wordsmith Dr Szin found his keyboard misbehaving recently. And laughed it off.

Whitewater
24-Aug-06, 12:08

I know exactly how you feel but don't let it get to you. Too many people have left the forum because of stupid and nasty comments which having nothing to do with the thread. Genuine forum debators do not worry too much about spelling and grammer, as long as they can get the gist of the message, and if it's of interest to them they will respond regardless.

Good luck, and try not to take life too seriously on the forum, although it may seem difficult at times.

paris
24-Aug-06, 12:41
Rockchick84, dont be put of, your no different than anyone else on here. Have your say and except the replys, i do . jan x

Gleber2
24-Aug-06, 12:42
Buy an elephant gun and shoot back.

j4bberw0ck
24-Aug-06, 12:46
Buy an elephant gun and shoot back.

:lol: Oh yes. Good afternoon, Gleber2. Trust you're well this fine day - and a very happy birthday for the other day :lol: . Hope you had a good "bash".

Gleber2
24-Aug-06, 12:49
:lol: Oh yes. Good afternoon, Gleber2. Trust you're well this fine day - and a very happy birthday for the other day :lol: . Hope you had a good "bash".

Thank you kind sir. My bash is tonight and we are connecting to Canuck by web cam. Should be a good concert.

j4bberw0ck
24-Aug-06, 12:53
Excellent. I'll raise a vodka and coke in your general southwards-ish direction this evening.

Ricco
24-Aug-06, 14:37

Now, that's not completely fair, Rockchick84. I have replied to one or two of your posts and have always been fair - even welcomed you to the fold. Also, there are many other orgers that will have been just as welcoming and friendly. I know from bitter experience that there are one or two individuals with sharp tongues (and dull wits) but this is true of any society. Take Golach's advice about reporting them to Admin. I hope that you do stay and remain chatty with the bulk of us. :D

cuddlepop
24-Aug-06, 14:46
Its easy for us to sit and type our words of wisdom Rockchick ,with regards to barbed comments.But when you feel as though everyone's out to have a dig take another look at life away from the computer and see if it spills over.
If it does you need some TLC.

DrSzin
24-Aug-06, 15:06
Anyone can make a simple mistake when typong in hsate - even that eloquent wordsmith Dr Szin found his keyboard misbehaving recently. And laughed it off.Eloquent wordsmith? I've never been called that before. :cool:

It's statistical, statistical, statistical! Whoops, I had to go back and edit two of those "statisticals" because my keyboard misbehaved again.

Seriously, I think Bingobabe & j4bberw0ck summed up the situation rather well, and the rest are pretty much in agreement too. Don't give up on us yet RockChick84.

Blonde is a hair colour, not a personality trait. Quit the stereotyping!I'll drink to that - we blondes should stick together. On second thoughts, perhaps it is a personality trait - and a good one at that. :)

Well, ok, I used to be really blonde, then it went darker at around 30, but now it's blonder again. That's not grey, honest Guv!

Rheghead
24-Aug-06, 15:20
Rockchick84, I am not going to read through your posts and their replies to see if you are truly being victimised. I will say this though, one dies and lives by the wordsword and it pays to invest in a shield made of ankylosaurus skin.

I too hate sarcastic and insults, but only if they are just rude. If they are done in such a way as they play mind games with me then I quite like those sort of replies, it shows that their maker has took the time to think about a reply...

Saveman
24-Aug-06, 15:29
<snip>

I too hate sarcastic and insults, but only if they are just rude. If they are done in such a way as they play mind games with me then I quite like those sort of replies, it shows that their maker has took the time to think about a reply...

Whatever.

;)

nicnak
24-Aug-06, 15:33
Hi Rockchick I can sympathise completely with what you are saying some time ago a person on this board launched a completely unprovoked and uneccessary attack on me the best thing to do is ignore the remarks because in the end the only thing they are doing is showing themselves up. A simple way to judge a persons remark is look at their rep points.
dont let em get you down - if you do then they have won.

MadPict
24-Aug-06, 15:42
A simple way to judge a persons remark is look at their rep points.

No hope for me then......

squidge
24-Aug-06, 16:03
But we all know you are a treasure Madpict
;)

MadPict
24-Aug-06, 16:15
But we all know you are a treasure Madpict
;)

Unfortunately this is one treasure folk would rather bury than dig up...;)

j4bberw0ck
24-Aug-06, 16:27
one treasure folk would rather bury than dig up...

Hmmm..... so I'm presuming this

http://oopi.us/pictures/giant-skeleton.jpg

isn't you, MadPict? Bingobabe will doubtless be relieved :lol:

Bingobabe
24-Aug-06, 19:26
Hmmm..... so I'm presuming this

http://oopi.us/pictures/giant-skeleton.jpg

isn't you, MadPict? Bingobabe will doubtless be relieved
Darn it!!!!!!! just when i thought madpict was warming to me this goes and happens.;)

Dreadnought
24-Aug-06, 21:19
Rockchick, I'm guessing you are referring to this (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=124805#post124805) thread? I'd like to explain that my reply was just a light-hearted joke, and not meant to be insulting or sarcastic in any way, if it has been seen that way then I apologise.
Having read through it again IMO I think the poster who referred to your typo was also just having a little joke, and meant no insult.

These things happen on internet forums. We can either laugh or ignore what was written. The problem is we are communicating with words on a screen, we cannot see each other's faces. We cannot see the smile as someone posts, or the mischevious gleam in their eye. I find it helps to think every post is written with well meant intent. If a post is obviously and without doubt unfriendly, then just ignore it.