PDA

View Full Version : How useful is the ORG?

ducati
06-Feb-11, 18:43
I thought I'd start a positive thread about my experiences and see if you have similar.

I first came across the org when we decided to move to the area, without ever having visited.

We found four houses on the org, came for the weekend to look at them and bought one.

Since then I have applied for 2 jobs advertised on the org and got them, I now run a business that a good proportion of the customers first find me on the org.

I recently advertised for a motorcycle project and after several orgers contacted me I took delivery yesterday of a machine far better than I was expecting. (Thanks again Charlie).

So all in all an extremely valuable tool, as well I might say as being highly entertaining and a great way to meet new people.

Oh and I am definitely, definitely coming to the next curry night. :lol:

canadagirl
06-Feb-11, 18:50
I think it's great! I will be there in 11 days and hopefully from watching you all here I won't put my foot in my mouth when there! I find the weather is my #1, then jobs, and the links to pics are great, as well as the assorted arcane trivia bits. Also will try to be at the curry night as I've never had curry. "ya, I went to Scotland and had curry for the first time." :Razz

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 19:01
Im staying away from the curry night as being English i might get banjoed!

Corrie 3
06-Feb-11, 19:11
I love the .Org and find it very useful indeed.....it stops me from being sane!!!!

C3....:roll:;)

Ricco
06-Feb-11, 19:17
The Org has been my lifeline to my youth in Caithness. I spent my early teens there and the org has provided many new friends (and some of them may be from my past) as well as some superb photography and local news. Long may it continue. Right now I am eating a curry 'cos I can't make it up there.

bekisman
06-Feb-11, 20:17
Im staying away from the curry night as being English i might get banjoed!

You'd be surprised by the number of English on here!

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 20:48
You'd be surprised by the number of English on here!

Well at least i wont get banjoed on me own!:lol:

Droopy
06-Feb-11, 20:52
I'd say its,

Pretty useful for those who are pretty useless,
usable by the useful, but for the majority of the time,
used for pretty much uselessness.......

Now what time is Tesco open, and who can I get to polish my car?......;)

Whitewater
06-Feb-11, 21:35
I've been visiting the org for a few years now. I have found it both helpful and entertaining. It is a great forum and a terrific way to advertise Caithness.

Well done Bill, Nial and all the org team.

Dadie
07-Feb-11, 00:16
Very handy for the things others find useless....like finding out about mother and toddler groups.
Or good hairdressers..........mundane things really.....but important to who asks!
Never done the curry nights as I dont like to go out without my hubby....and babysitters are hard to come by(that you would trust with 3 wee ones and your fridge)

porshiepoo
07-Feb-11, 10:25
For a fair while the org was a regular haunt for me but that was years ago.
I found it great to come on here banter with other orgers and, dare I say it, get in to the odd harmless argument.
As a housewife I found moving here from England hard to adjust to initially due to the lack of things to do compared to where I moved from.
The Org helped me to find new, different activities etc available in the area and to realise there is as much to do here as there was in Boston but they're just different things - involving more fresh air than city lights.

I went to one org night but have to admit to feeling uncomfortable but that was all my own doing. I'd gotten into so many arguments on here that I dreaded telling people my org name when we met face to face :lol:

Things are different now (for me any way). I do come on here regularly but I don't participate as much as I used to. Maybe that's because a lot of the older orgers appear to have disappeared and the newer ones have a more 'grown up' view of what the org should be ;).
Maybe it's also because I'm more 'grown up' now lol or have learned to curb my tongue a little and don't feel the same need to wind people up - who knows.

The org will always be a fantastic tool for the Caithness community and for those who have moved away but want to keep that Caithness connection.
The information available for the local area is brilliant and is still my first stop when needing to find anything to do here or looking for tradesmen.

Hoida
07-Feb-11, 12:20
The org is a valuable tool for getting information on various things from looking for a spare part to help with recipes. If you have a query then someone on the org will have the answer or know aman that does. Never made one of the curry nights yet as Wick is abit far. But hopefully we might get one organised for the Thurso side of the county then folks from the west would maybe manage to come along.

orkneycadian
07-Feb-11, 12:25
Despite .org being the internet top level domain for "Organisation", its anything but....

Whilst folk like Dadie suggest its good for finding out about Mother and Toddler groups, there are whole, underused "advertising" sections at the "top" of the website specifically for that. Instead, all the stuff ends up in the general part of a discussion forum!

The admin behind the site must wonder why on earth they bothered creating a community section and business index section, when folk just come onto the general section of the discussion forum and post a new thread asking "where can I buy bread in Thurso?" and the likes!

Maybe it should be called "e dis" as an abbreviation for disorganisation! [lol]

upolian
07-Feb-11, 13:27
I'd say its,

Pretty useful for those who are pretty useless,
usable by the useful, but for the majority of the time,
used for pretty much uselessness.......

Now what time is Tesco open, and who can I get to polish my car?......;)

Love it hahahahaha!!

Dadie
07-Feb-11, 15:54
The info on the groups and things can be out dated.
Some of the information must not have been updated since the ORG started!
Besides its nice to get recommendations on haircuts so you dont have 2 weeks of hat wearing to look forward to!
Some things you need more than the info of where it is!

Commore
07-Feb-11, 16:23
I think it is a very valuable tool in the one respect and a lovely wee family in the other,
nowhere, on any other forum that I visited anyway, can one find every emotion there is.
I visit it everyday, sometimes several times a day depending on what's going on and it would be sorely missed if it ceased to exist
I am not a saddo with little else to do with my time, indeed I am not on the computer all of the time, but when I am, it is nice to feel that I am a part of something and that I am welcome with it,
:)

sandyr1
07-Feb-11, 20:49
Now now Northener....We are not all purfect.....
Great place to keep up with Caithness. Very well 'set up' Website....

Phill
07-Feb-11, 21:59
Dunno about useful, full of opinionated eejits who think they know better. Probably why it feels like home!

[smirk]

sandyr1
07-Feb-11, 22:33
Great to have agreement, synergy, cooperation and such useful discussions...Great place!

joxville
08-Feb-11, 00:50
I see the Org as being like toilet tissue; not something I think of all the time but there when I need it. [lol]

oldmarine
08-Feb-11, 03:33
I thought I'd start a positive thread about my experiences and see if you have similar.

I first came across the org when we decided to move to the area, without ever having visited.

We found four houses on the org, came for the weekend to look at them and bought one.

Since then I have applied for 2 jobs advertised on the org and got them, I now run a business that a good proportion of the customers first find me on the org.

I recently advertised for a motorcycle project and after several orgers contacted me I took delivery yesterday of a machine far better than I was expecting. (Thanks again Charlie).

So all in all an extremely valuable tool, as well I might say as being highly entertaining and a great way to meet new people.

Oh and I am definitely, definitely coming to the next curry night. :lol:

ducati: Looks like the org has been good to you.

northener
08-Feb-11, 07:37
Now now Northener....We are not all purfect.....
Great place to keep up with Caithness. Very well 'set up' Website....

Eh? :eek:

What have I done now?

Don't tell me that I've started sleep posting again...I thought the tablets were working:~(

sandyr1
08-Feb-11, 14:42
Eh? :eek:

What have I done now?

Don't tell me that I've started sleep posting again...I thought the tablets were working:~(

Sorry...I was meaning the Orkney person....Notherner!!

oldmarine
09-Feb-11, 00:52
I see the Org as being like toilet tissue; not something I think of all the time but there when I need it. [lol]

joxville: I got a large laugh from your comment. Very clever. lol.

Phill
09-Feb-11, 12:00
What have I done now?Does it matter? THEY have decided. It is your fault, all of it, everything!

ducati
09-Feb-11, 12:09
Does it matter? THEY have decided. It is your fault, all of it, everything!

I concur, and if I could find that rant thread again I would elucidate! :mad:

joxville
09-Feb-11, 19:41
I concur, and if I could find that rant thread again I would elucidate! :mad:

Almost all threads end up with a rant in them so knock yourself out. :roll:

:D

gleeber
09-Feb-11, 23:28
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders sometimes about the sanity of some of us who post on the org. The orgs a good tool if it's used properly. Ive learnt a lot from it mostly about myself so for that reason it's been a marvel. I dont think weve learnt to use it properly yet but its getting there. I dont think the org will take off until there are at least 500 orgers at the org night out.
I was reading today about the new minister in the church in Wick and he came over as a fine bloke. I suspect he's a Rangers supporter. No one's perfect. Welcome by the way rev. There's no way you could miss the org.
Then there's laurel Bush. He's causing a storm. Ill bet there's not many know he's a Thurso loon. If it keeps going the way it's going and everyone leaves the council, he could end up the provost of Wick. :lol:
I saw Bill Fernie on the Scottish news tonight. Hes doing good considering the pressure hes under. Best of luck to them. Cut the Gaelic budget Bill. ;)
Poor Noels taking a hit too. It's a bummer being in the public eye in a small town. Ive always hated the sherrifs page in the Groaat but I always read it.
Then theres all the people I recognise in the video in Thurso museum taken during the Thurso Gala night in 1953. I was talking to someone earlier and he asked if his parents were in it. I went back and had a look and spotted his mother with his 2 elder brothers. He'll be delighted. I spotted my grandad in another one taken about the same time.
The orgs useful for unloading stuff that would normally only exist in the confines of our own heads. Got to be careful sometimes though.

Moira
10-Feb-11, 01:05
Eh?

What have I done now?

Don't tell me that I've started sleep posting again...I thought the tablets were working

Nope, you're OK Northener. The Wheelie Bins & Rocket Fuel in Canada are just different, that's all. You need to put the tablets in the trash and introduce sandyr1 to the Westons......
Or maybe not. ;)

Almost all threads end up with a rant in them so knock yourself out.

That sounds painful Joxville. It would be better to PM Northener for a recommendation as to how to "fill your boots". :eek:

Aaldtimer
10-Feb-11, 04:46
Gleeber..."Then there's Laurel Bush. He's causing a storm. Ill bet there's not many know he's a Thurso loon."...you may be mistaken there. Possibly born somewhere else, but brought up in Thurso.

If you knew Laurie, like I know Laurie, oh, oh....:eek:

Kevin Milkins
10-Feb-11, 10:00
Tis good, when pooter speed is right.

orkneycadian
19-Feb-11, 11:39
Almost all threads end up with a rant in them so knock yourself out. :roll:

Due in part, I am sure to so much irrelevance being posted in the "General" Section, when it could be put in the appropriate special interest section. Someone posts a whole new thread about passing a test, then theres wonder why some folk post a "why have you posted this here, let alone started a new thread for it?" type response. Theres another whole thread been started up just so one member can wish another member "Happy Birthday!" - Thats what PM's are for, or as I understood nowadays, Facebook!

In the 2 pages of "newest postings" as it stands at the moment, at least 6 threads relate to Recomendations or requests for Recommendations for service providers, at least 1 is on literature and there is at least 1 ubiquitous "Your mailbox is full / please PM me" thread. Then theres the ones with the non descript thread titles that you open up to find is a load of drivel about what someones cat had for breakfast this morning and the likes, and another 3 minutes of your life evaporates!

I propose more sections, with more appropriate headings. We have a whole section on Birdwatching for goodness sake, despite there only being about 7 threads updated in it this month already (so possibly only 7 posts). Thats probably about as many "can anyone suggest where I can buy a......" threads as will be started this morning alone in the General section. Biodiversity is worse, with only 7 threads updated this year!

Theres a significant number of the sections I have probably never looked in on here, because I know the contents will be of no interest to me - Geneology or reunions (3 threads updated this year!) for example - I suspect things would be a lot more harmonious in the General Section if all the "special interest" discussions were put into special interest groups. Some suggestions;

Who can do / where can I buy - Make your requests for recommendations here
Mums Network - Discuss all things mumsy in here - from Nappies to Eating Habits - Sick bugs to The School Run
Shopping - Not sure when your favourite shop is open? Wanting to complain about the unavailability of ready made roast tatties? Online shopping service let you down? This is the place.
Personal News - Just passed your driving test and want to let the world know, but don't have access to Facebook? Hubby missed his flight home from work and his dinners going to go cold? Tell us all about it here! (if you must)
Flora and Fauna - Discuss all non human life matters in here (will consolidate the underused Birdwatching, Biodiversity and Pets sections)

New sections, it appears are not out of the question. A whole new top level one has just recently appeared to let everyone know whats going on in the local Sheriff Court and other crime matters.

A big tidy up would, in my humble opinion, sort things out a lot and keep the special interest groups in their respective sections, where its much easier to find relevant stuff. The search facility on here is not very helpful - Why for example can you only perform 1 search every 30 seconds? With so much stuff in General, searching for it is a pain, as you can only make 2 searches a minute! No wonder there are so many duplicate threads! If all the special interest stuff was in its respective section, then searching for it, and finding it, would be a whole lot easier!

golach
19-Feb-11, 11:47
Orkneycadian......What a load of long winded piffle, you must enjoy seeing yourself in print!!! The Org is fine as it IMHO, if your not happy with it stick to your side of the Firth :(

theone
19-Feb-11, 12:01
Orkneycadian,

The points you make have been discussed in the past.

I see where you are coming from on a number of issues, but I don't think more categories/tougher moderation is the answer.

I know myself that I normall only check the general section. I think many people are the same. If I needed help finding something, or getting something fixed at short notice, I'd be more likely to get a response in the general section than elsewhere. Yes, I might be able to find a previous answer in the recommendations section but I'd be less likely to get a new response.

I like the general section because it is varied and provides lots of things to debate. You could have a politics section, a renewable energy section, a highland council section etc but what's the need? I already think it's perhaps too prescriptive already, where people have to debate sports issues elsewhere. Why is it okay to debate Frankie Boyle's TV show in "general" but not match of the day?

Another example is the music section, where the first sticky is "no instruments for sale here". If I was selling an instrument, I'd rather it was visible to the whole music community rather than those actively trawling the "for sale" section. Sometimes people don't know they want something until they see it offered to them. The fact than many specific items, TV's, Furniture etc ends up in the "general for sale" forum rather than the individual categories would seem to support this.

You can't please everyone. In retrospect, I probably think that leaving it alone is the best answer.

orkneycadian
19-Feb-11, 12:16
but I don't think more categories/tougher moderation is the answer.

I follow a few car forums, and I know that the most harmonious ones are where each make / model has its own sections. That greatly reduces the "My Evo is better than your Subaru" tittle tattle threads. On some of these forums, the sum total of the postings in the Ford / Subaru / Mitsubishi / etc sections, far outnumbers the postings in the general sections. On here, its the opposite way round, and general far outnumbers the sum of the others. It works on other forums with the Ford camp staying (on the whole) in the Ford camp, the Subaru camp in the Subaru camp etc, and riots in the common ground being minimised! It makes finding information a lot quicker too. Want to know about suspension on your Ford Focus? Look in the Ford section. Search it too, as the search functions on these forums don't have the silly 30 second delay between searches. Result, much fewer "Does anyone know what kind of suspension will make my Focus go faster" followed by "Oh no, here we go again, haven't you tried searching the FAQ section and the previous postings?" type responses....

Removing the 30 second search delay on here (which I have not encountered on any other forums) would help finding information already on the site, without folk raising new threads every time!

The Music Monster
19-Feb-11, 14:40
The board has been fantastic for me! It has proved a great place to advertise my business as well as meeting and making some good friends!

ducati
19-Feb-11, 15:23
I've found that despite the heated debates, (which I enjoy, and often start) and sometimes acrimonious relationships and just general Mickey taking, that if ever you genuinely need help, help is genuinely given.

secrets in symmetry
19-Feb-11, 15:29
I joined a couple of years ago. I've never been a regular contributor but I often look in for old times' sake.

oldmarine
20-Feb-11, 00:09
I joined a couple of years ago. I've never been a regular contributor but I often look in for old time's sake.

Hope you find some interesting comments when you do look in.

bekisman
20-Feb-11, 00:10
Very good for robust discussions, and we've had quite a few on here too! Must admit it's gone a wee bit quiet for the last couple of months, with some of the more provocative posters - mainly due to Orgers being out of the country, some really busy and one or two flouncing off, cos they are scared of a good old fashioned confabulation!

Bring it on!;)

ducati
28-Mar-11, 08:08
Noticed recently it's not a lot of use if your cars broke :(

Tugmistress excepted :D

pmcd
28-Mar-11, 08:58
Great for passing on information, engaging in debate (both bloody and light-hearted), finding out more about the people and places which surround you, occasionally uplifting, frustrating, roll-on-the-floor-laughing, meeting other minds and other opinions, learning about Caithness, and enjoying a genuine feeling of community -

Other than that, it is of course utterly pointless!!?!

oldmarine
28-Mar-11, 20:20

I have not needed the Org to be used like toilet paper, but it does help me find my way around for other purposes. lol!

mey999
28-Mar-11, 20:37
Its the best community website Ive visited, and being a member found its members friendly and well knowleged cheers...

torisdale
28-Mar-11, 21:04
It first I thought it wasen't good due to the half finished forum layout but it's not bad after awhile.

sandyr1
29-Mar-11, 01:31
Excellent Website.....And most knowledgible people on it...
Dog Eared knows about the Duke of Kent and the Wag! Wowee............

sandyr1
29-Mar-11, 01:32
It first I thought it wasen't good due to the half finished forum layout but it's not bad after awhile.

I just noticed your comment...Really....At least they can spell!

Dog-eared
29-Mar-11, 16:13
Excellent Website.....And most knowledgible people on it...
Dog Eared knows about the Duke of Kent and the Wag! Wowee............

Oh no he doesn't , as it turns out.

See " Wikipedia question " post.

Also your post there. http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?139783-Wikipedia-question

sandyr1
29-Mar-11, 16:42
[QUOTE=Dog-eared;835448]Oh no he doesn't , as it turns out.

'K'.

Am wonderering are you 'speaking' to me......and if so what r u sayin?

Dog-eared
29-Mar-11, 17:04
You aren't much help though...:lol::lol::lol:

Whitewater
29-Mar-11, 21:53
All good interesting comments on the org.
Yesterday and today I have been using it to find information on various organisations within the county and again it has proved to be a very useful tool.
I may not be on the forum as much as usual just now, but I use the org everyday to have a look around the county. It always proves useful and is a fairly good source for local news.