PDA

View Full Version : Sommerfield

jaykay
24-Aug-06, 08:30
I read in yesterday's Courier that Sommerfields in Wick appear to be treating their staff very badly as regards their terms and conditions. I assume that the terms and conditions being offered to the Wick staff are the same as for their staff throughout the rest of the country. Can Sommerfields be one of the same "local business's" that our councillors are trying to protect by refusing ASDA planning permission?

mccaugm
24-Aug-06, 09:51
I never saw the Courier. What are they doing that goes against their terms and conditions?

RockChick84
24-Aug-06, 09:59
Most of the staff will be going to Tesco's when it opens because some of them are being mistreated. There are people hired to be shelf fillers on the check-out's when they don't like it and some are being paid less than others who are doing the same job.

saxovtr
24-Aug-06, 10:32
yeh i just read the paper myself,i cant see what is wrong with building an asda,why are we being denied shops that down the line have,on the other hand all these supermarkets being built is there enuf people to keep every1 going?

mccaugm
24-Aug-06, 13:19
Most of the staff will be going to Tesco's when it opens because some of them are being mistreated. There are people hired to be shelf fillers on the check-out's when they don't like it and some are being paid less than others who are doing the same job.

I thought that shops had standardised pay scales. Maybe I was wrong?

I know that Somerfield are struggling to keep staff as the Tesco ex-pats are doing their training already. What puzzles me is what they need training in, if they were working for a supermarket already.

wicker
24-Aug-06, 13:24
Does anyone know if the rumours with somerfield in wick is true that they are closing and matalans is going there?

bigpete
24-Aug-06, 15:52
Hi - earlier someone asked what was happening with Wick somerfield.. makes interesting reading and (as quoted before) does not make the work practices of ASDA & Tesco that bad?

Supermarket staff fears over redundancy package
By Gordon Calder
Published: 23 August, 2006
STAFF at the Somerfield supermarket in Wick could lose up to £4000 after the company changed the terms of a redundancy package. That was claimed this week by a worker who is unhappy at the way employees are being treated.

The person, who wished to remain anonymous, said the original package was agreed in July when Somerfield decided to restructure its business as part of a national review.
Initially, 11 staff at the Wick store were to be affected but they were assured by senior management they would receive a redundancy deal which would include payment in lieu of notice when they left the company on October 14.
However, on Friday the employees at risk – now believed to number seven – were informed that the terms were to be changed and the settlement would not incorporate the pay in lieu. They were also told that if they are off sick or do not work to full capacity their payments will be further cut. “They have gone back on their word and several people will be losing between £1000 and £4000,” said the worker. “Those who have already left got the full original figure but as far as I know Usdaw [the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers] is fighting this at a high level.”
It was also claimed that the company is to introduce new terms and conditions for all its staff throughout the country as part of a national policy. The Caithness Courier understands that from October 1 overtime will be cut, with Sundays and public holidays being paid at the usual rates rather than at double and treble time respectively.
The minimum wage of £5.35 an hour will be introduced, meaning staff will be working for less as previously they were paid above the minimum rate. Working hours will be reduced from 39 to 38 and sick pay will be cut.
“This applies to everyone. From that date staff will have to work five days out of seven but the company will decide which days, so you could be working Sundays and public holidays on ordinary rates,” the source said.
The worker described morale at the Wick supermarket as “rock bottom” and added: “I’ve never experienced anything like this at all. Nobody has a good word to say about the company. To renege on what they said is really low.”
It is understood that several supervisors have secured posts at the new Tesco supermarket being built in Wick, while a number of employees are also hoping to get work there.
Usdaw national officer Joanne McGuinness confirmed the union is in consultation with senior management at Somerfield requesting that the company stands by its original commitment to make payments in lieu of notice.
“Our members can raise their concerns about this issue through the grievance procedure and Usdaw will support them throughout this process,” she said.
Ms McGuinness added: “After our Somerfield members rejected the new terms and conditions in a national ballot we have met with senior company managers to discuss the way forward. We are currently exploring a range of options with Somerfield management and are also consulting our members across the company to determine how we can move this process forward.”
Somerfield spokeswoman Julie Daniels said the company is currently in consultation with a number of employees at the Wick store concerning their roles following the planned restructuring.
“We have now spoken and written to these staff to give them a final indication of what their potential redundancy package will be,” she said. “This is an enhanced redundancy package which includes an ex-gratia payment based on years of service and is in line with our normal practices.
“It is our priority to find those at risk of redundancy alternative positions in the new store structure or with nearby Somerfield stores and other local retailers where possible.
“The calculation they have already received was clearly marked as a draft. The company is issuing a standard period of notice commencing on August 20 with a termination date of October 14. All employees will be expected to work the eight weeks until the termination date.”
On terms and conditions, she said: “The majority of staff will benefit from the changes to terms and conditions.
Our previous terms and conditions were not consistent across our business, and so we have introduced the changes to ensure we treat colleagues performing similar roles equally.
“These changes bring our business in line with the marketplace and reflect the fact that retail is a highly competitive, 24-hour, 365-day business.”
Ms Daniels added: “We are unable to discuss confidential details of individual colleagues’ circumstances. If staff have specific concerns relating to their individual circumstances they can discuss these with their store manager or contact our employee helpline.”

Zippy
24-Aug-06, 20:20
The worker described morale at the Wick supermarket as “rock bottom” and added: “I’ve never experienced anything like this at all. Nobody has a good word to say about the company. To renege on what they said is really low.”

Agreed.

People that work in other departments (stacking shelves, grocery etc.) have practically been forced to move onto the checkouts and they don't like it at all. For the people employed as checkout operators, it's hard. Tea breaks are occasionally missed (Trust me, they're needed!) and the hours have shot up from 38 sometimes even up to 40+.

candyfloss
25-Aug-06, 17:10
Does anyone know if the rumours with somerfield in wick is true that they are closing and matalans is going there?
Does'nt look like it will be closing and turned into matalans, i noticed today their looking for more staff.

footie chick
25-Aug-06, 17:13
Somerfield in Thurso must have had the big bosses up they were are running around like headless chickens.

JimH
25-Aug-06, 17:46
They have a new manager

Woolie
25-Aug-06, 23:27
Yes i saw that too, but i also read intodays paper about argos mistreating staff too.

mccaugm
26-Aug-06, 18:19
Why is bullying and mistreatment of workers becoming the norm these days.

In a previous job I was bullied by a member of staff ( a senior manager), when I discussed this with a trusted colleague I discovered to my horror that I was one amongst many who got this treatment. The manager left under dubious circumstances but it took more than 4 years for this to happen.

This is bad enough in the playground but we are talking about supposedly sensible adults now.

Rheghead
26-Aug-06, 18:38
I have also been reading about bullying etc in shops just recently and I think recent cases and their like will be on the increase in the next few years. It will be as a result of all these new stores coming with their new work ethics and the stresses that go with it. I couldn't help get the message that some complainants were just the type who don't like being told what to do, however politely, and some managers just can't tell someone what to do without being rude.