PDA

View Full Version : Price of chips!

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 09:45
Now dont get me wrong im not a skinflint by any stretch of the imagination ( the wife is allowed an allowance of £2.50 a week to spend lol) but on the way back from Tescos tuther day she popped in at Henrietta's chip shop and a portion of chips in a tray was £1.90! Jesus is this the normal price up here ?
So that leaves Mrs F now only ;) 60p to spend this week :)

orkneycadian
06-Feb-11, 10:47
Let me guess.... Back home in "ee by gum land" you can buy a gurt (see I do read and learn on these forums!) big cod and chips, t' floor sweepings deepfried, mushy peas, a pickled egg, a pint of flat, warm beer, a night at t' bingo and t' bus home, all for just 2 and 6? ;)

henry20
06-Feb-11, 11:06
A large tray of chips from Harry Ramsdens is £1.85 according to their website. £1.65 for a regular sized.

Scunner
06-Feb-11, 11:29
I think you are very generous giving your OH £2.50 a week. I give £5.00, now I will have to think again!!!!!!!!!!!

joxville
06-Feb-11, 11:40
Prices of chips these days are scandalous, my local chippy charges £2.90 for a portion!!! I remember when I were a lad, I could get drunk, get laid and get fish and chips all for £4.99! ;)

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 11:45
lol i just love all them comments ! im off for me deep fried mushy peas lol

joxville
06-Feb-11, 11:47
And another thing about cheapness; one time I was told to go on a singles holiday to Alicante, get all your drinks bought for you and as much sex as you can handle, so off I went; jeezo, talk about being misled, what a liar my sister turned out to be! ;)

Corrie 3
06-Feb-11, 12:55
Solution.............Get yourself a deep fat fryer from Tesco for about £30.......while you are there get a couple of pounds of proper beef dripping to fill said fat fryer. On your way home call at one of the many farms who sells bags of spuds, put fryer on to warm up and fill with dripping. Peel yourself enough spuds to fill your appetite (Not too many cos those fat person ambulances arent up here yet)...Cut peeled spuds into chips and insert into fryer, cook to your liking and enjoy!!!!!!
That will give you chips everynight for about 6 months and think of the money you will save and you will enjoy "proper" chips like they used to be, non of this hairy fairy sunflower oil..
Mmmm....making me hungry typing this!!!!!

C3.

orkneycadian
06-Feb-11, 13:02
Ee lad, chips n' dripping, t' old fashioned way. Ya canna beat them!

gollach
06-Feb-11, 13:23
Solution.............Get yourself a deep fat fryer from Tesco for about £30.......while you are there get a couple of pounds of proper beef dripping to fill said fat fryer. On your way home call at one of the many farms who sells bags of spuds, put fryer on to warm up and fill with dripping. Peel yourself enough spuds to fill your appetite (Not too many cos those fat person ambulances arent up here yet)...Cut peeled spuds into chips and insert into fryer, cook to your liking and enjoy!!!!!!
That will give you chips everynight for about 6 months and think of the money you will save and you will enjoy "proper" chips like they used to be, non of this hairy fairy sunflower oil..

C3.

Mmmmm... Chips of the Gods.

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 13:24

C3.

Lol i can feel a heart attack coming on!

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 13:26
Thought just come to mind about how the wife told me about her mum who had dripping on toast ! my god ! thankfully ive neer tried it lol

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-11, 13:27
im quite a fussy chip eater! I dont like going into a chippy and being served frozen chips, if i wanted frozen i could do that myself at home. You can tell the difference between a fresh chip and frozen from a bag. Also if im going to pay nearly £2 for a portion i want them to be good!

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 13:27
Ee lad, chips n' dripping, t' old fashioned way. Ya canna beat them!

Eee drippin n chips .....i can feel me sen away to throw up

changilass
06-Feb-11, 13:49
Thought just come to mind about how the wife told me about her mum who had dripping on toast ! my god ! thankfully ive neer tried it lol

That would have been 'mucky fat', a mix of the fat and juices of the meat, rather than just the solid block of dripping. Was one of the staples for games nights in most pubs. I could just about make it, but the only time I tried it, it made me gip.

Julia
06-Feb-11, 14:31
A cone of chips from Henrietta's chip is £1.10, excellent value and a big portion too

billmoseley
06-Feb-11, 15:52
mmmmmmmmmmm dripping on toast is so nice but not as nice as a dripping with a little salt sandwich eeeeeeeeee them were were the days

Chrisf1961
06-Feb-11, 16:28
mmmmmmmmmmm dripping on toast is so nice but not as nice as a dripping with a little salt sandwich eeeeeeeeee them were were the days

Jesus im gonna gip Bill! my mistake apparently the wife just told me it were dripping on bread ......just as bad!

Kodiak
06-Feb-11, 16:29

Ahhh! Reminds me of Christmas. After Christmas Day my Mother used to make me thick Turkey Sandwich's with both sides of the bread smothered with the dripping from the Turkey, mmmm delicious!

As to chips I remember when I was a lad going up to the chippy and buying a portion of chips for 4d wrapped in grease proof paper and then newspaper to help keep them warm. Yummy :Razz