PDA

View Full Version : Kids and restaurants

David Banks
05-Feb-11, 00:25
I am disgusted to hear of the lack of consideration for parent(s) with kids at restaurants, and yes, I will name one - the Pentland.

If a place is open to the public, the public includes bairns, and it is shortsighted - to say the least - to expect a family to leave if the bairn is upset.

Think about it - it is even bad business in the long term.

Please share your experiences, good and bad.

henry20
05-Feb-11, 00:29
Are you going to share your experience first??

I haven't often been there with children (I don't have my own) but any time I have been in with children, they are well catered for and have never experienced any problems.

Joboco
05-Feb-11, 00:37
Personaly I think all eating establishments should have a child free zone, so that people who dont want to listen to screeming bairns can eat in peace
Dont get me wrong I have nothing against them I just dont to be bothered by them.

Dadie
05-Feb-11, 00:38
believe me its not great going out with kids!
From lack of service to meals that dont appear to kids activities that are grim to down right dangerous!
(lunchtime to early evening 5/6pm)

changilass
05-Feb-11, 00:39
If mini changi was 'upset' in a restraunt, I wouldn't have to be asked to leave, we would be out of there in super fast time.

Consideration works both ways.

Dadie
05-Feb-11, 00:44
A fishbone from the said establishment stuck in a problematic place...making the problem in the first place..not taking responcsbility of that...

golach
05-Feb-11, 00:53
If mini changi was 'upset' in a restraunt, I wouldn't have to be asked to leave, we would be out of there in super fast time.

I have dined with "mini changi" in restaurants in Edinburgh since he was about 4 years old, from Chinese buffets to Italian Tavernas, also Indian kerry oot set menus in my house, his manners have never let his parents down, its the way parents teach their children.

brandy
05-Feb-11, 01:04
thats not always true.. i have to admit i have been made to feel like a horrible parent due purely to the lack of understanding. there are many children that can not help their behaviour and nothing that the parent can do about them. 90% of the time ben is fine to be out and about .. and is very well behaved but there are times he has a meltdown.. or just gets over stimulated.. causing him to make noise.. flap , jump up and down, and roll his eyes and head about.. does this bother me? no, im his mum and im use to it.. does it bother others.. oh yeah.. but i am not going to make my child be a recluse just because he has special needs.
while there are lots of cases that parent just do not make their children behave.. not all instances are the same..
if i hear one more time .. cant you control your child.. i may just tell the nosey busy body.. to control themselves and keep their nose out of something that has nothing to do with them.
saying that.. i do try to plan for every eventuality .. and we always go to the family areas.. and make sure that we have something to keep him occupied.. just sometimes things cant be controlled..
and if we are talking toddler age or young children.. then .. get over it.. children are children.. they will cry and get upset.. most parents will get up and take the child out until they calm down if its possible.
sorry this is a sore spot with me obviously.. grrrr... cant help a little rant!

David Banks
05-Feb-11, 02:43
Are you going to share your experience first??

I haven't often been there with children (I don't have my own) but any time I have been in with children, they are well catered for and have never experienced any problems.

Had no problems myself, but heard about it from another orger, and remembering what it was like to be the parent of three masell.

I offered to start the thread, and did not want to just let it lie -- thanks to the existance of the org.

canadagirl
05-Feb-11, 02:46
Two things- If a mom at a neighbouring table is having trouble with an acting up child I will give her a commiserating smile and try to make eye contact with screaming child :confused we've all been there and poor mom doesn't need a bunch of frowns! My biggest peeve is going out to eat with one or more of my kids and getting very bad service, but if there is a man with us it's a different story! And yes, I tip well (30%) when I get reasonable service.

David Banks
05-Feb-11, 02:58
Two things- If a mom at a neighbouring table is having trouble with an acting up child I will give her a commiserating smile and try to make eye contact with screaming child :confused we've all been there and poor mom doesn't need a bunch of frowns! My biggest peeve is going out to eat with one or more of my kids and getting very bad service, but if there is a man with us it's a different story! And yes, I tip well (30%) when I get reasonable service.

Sadly, there is more than a hint of truth in your observation, and I think it applied in the situation that started this thread.

And yes - you do tip well.

Metalattakk
05-Feb-11, 04:04

Congratulations for your entirely unselfish approach. Such awareness and consideration for others is to be lauded, and perhaps should be noted by many others.

Gronnuck
05-Feb-11, 09:38
IMHO it's great to get children out into restaurants; it's a good place for them to learn how to behave around others in a more formal dining environment. But as with many establishments there should be rules and they should be clearly displayed/explained when the menu is offered. Dining with children when they are tired and irritable or excited and playful can be distracting, but conscientious parents will know if and when this sort of formal dining is appropriate.
Restaurant owners are aware that they have to consider the behaviour of all their customers so that they minimise disruption, encourage new patrons and secure their business.

orkneycadian
05-Feb-11, 11:42
I once had kid at a restaurant in Greece. Was very tasty I must say, but never seen it, or anything else goat related other than cheese on a menu in this country.

pinkandglittery2
05-Feb-11, 12:18
I took my little boy in to the pentland last week and he had a mega tantrum(terrible 2's and all that) i just couldn't shut him up, so I ate whilst walking around with him as that's all would keep him quiet!! but to be honest, the staff were lovely about it, they kept trying to talk to him so i could eat my lunch and then as we had left some, offered us a 'doggy bag' I agree that a separate area for 'no kids' would be a good idea, for two reasons, firstly, for the people who want a peaceful meal and secondly, it might stop mothers feeling that they are being glared at, not by staff particularly but other diners!! when you dot have kids its easy to say 'just shut them up' I used to say it myself, but after having my little monster, I soon got to realise its not as easy as all that!!BUT i also dont think that parents should let their kids run riot in a place that doesn't have a kiddies area, we have to respect others if we want respect back.

Beat Bug
05-Feb-11, 13:30
My 2 small grandchildren are far better behaved in restaurants than some adults! I'm happy to take them anywhere, knowing they won't spoil other diners' meals. We were treated to a meal out by some friends recently, 8pm, and there was a young couple there with a baby of no more than a few months old. It screamed the whole time, until eventually they were asked to leave. In that case the management was right to do so. Children in restaurants in the day time and early evening are fine, regardless of how they behave (within reason) It's babies and small kids in restaurants in the evening that I object to, even the well behaved. When taking our own kids out for meals, it was always during the day time. Evening dining out is for adults.

EDDIE
05-Feb-11, 13:56
Personaly I think all eating establishments should have a child free zone, so that people who dont want to listen to screeming bairns.
Dont get me wrong I have nothing against them I just dont to be bothered by them.

You wouldnt make much money if you owned a restaurant with that attitude?
Look at all the travell inn with beefeaters there they have a proper area for children to play in with all the toys there to keep them occupied they make a fortune with all the familys that go there because there kids can play there and it s probably the kids that want to go there maybey caithness needs a travel in with a beefeater there maybey thats wil give the local hotels a wake up call

Ricco
05-Feb-11, 14:06
I have dined with "mini changi" in restaurants in Edinburgh since he was about 4 years old, from Chinese buffets to Italian Tavernas, also Indian kerry oot set menus in my house, his manners have never let his parents down, its the way parents teach their children.

Oooooo - that's diving in with both feet, Golach. Make sure you have your snorkel with you! :lol:

Ricco
05-Feb-11, 14:08
Ha, ha. Had to laugh at that one, Orkneycadian!

Ricco
05-Feb-11, 14:16
thats not always true.. i have to admit i have been made to feel like a horrible parent due purely to the lack of understanding. there are many children that can not help their behaviour and nothing that the parent can do about them. 90% of the time ben is fine to be out and about .. and is very well behaved but there are times he has a meltdown.. or just gets over stimulated.. causing him to make noise.. flap , jump up and down, and roll his eyes and head about.. does this bother me? no, im his mum and im use to it.. does it bother others.. oh yeah.. but i am not going to make my child be a recluse just because he has special needs.
while there are lots of cases that parent just do not make their children behave.. not all instances are the same..
if i hear one more time .. cant you control your child.. i may just tell the nosey busy body.. to control themselves and keep their nose out of something that has nothing to do with them.
saying that.. i do try to plan for every eventuality .. and we always go to the family areas.. and make sure that we have something to keep him occupied.. just sometimes things cant be controlled..
and if we are talking toddler age or young children.. then .. get over it.. children are children.. they will cry and get upset.. most parents will get up and take the child out until they calm down if its possible.
sorry this is a sore spot with me obviously.. grrrr... cant help a little rant!

I have read a number of the comments on this thread, Brandy. I do sympathise with you... and there have been times when my P&Q has been disrupted by noisy children (who in most cases are just tired or over-excited). There have been other times when the atmos has been blown apart by noisy inconsiderate adults or truely spoiled children - the ones whose parents say " Oh, don't do that, Sebastian" or something similar.

I have often been tempted to offer my services to try to distract or entertain said child for a short time whilst the parents have a chance to eat their meal... but then I would probably be considered a 'perv' so I keep my mouth shut.

I have no kids of my own to draw upon for experience but I have taken my nieces out since they were little and they have been an absolute pleasure.

lindsaymcc
05-Feb-11, 15:26
We have only dined out at The Upper Deck here with the children, and they were fantastic. Didnt mind my 2yr old running around, but it was very quiet.

We stayed at the Pentland before we moved here, and the staff on duty for breakfast were fantastic, totally fussed over the children and never worried about the mess my littlwe one made! 18mnth old in a highchair with toast etc led to a lot of mess!

RecQuery
05-Feb-11, 15:37
To offer a dissenting opinion I'm disgusted by the amount of leeway and consideration parents and kids are given in society and if you try to argue with them over 'a family issue' then prepare to be tarred and feathered. I don't eat out but I imagine how annoying it can be to try and eat a meal to have to put up with kids in the place.

Sarah
05-Feb-11, 15:44
Personaly I think all eating establishments should have a child free zone, so that people who dont want to listen to screeming bairns.

I agree with this :)

gunnlass
05-Feb-11, 15:57
Common sense and respect for other people out dining, why shouldn't a privately owned business stick up for themselves.

Joboco
05-Feb-11, 16:16
Look at all the travell inn with beefeaters there they have a proper area for children to play in with all the toys there to keep them occupied they make a fortune with all the familys that go there because there kids can play there and it s probably the kids that want to go there maybey caithness needs a travel in with a beefeater there maybey thats wil give the local hotels a wake up call

Exactly! now your getting the idea. Keep them in the area provided. All i'm saying is, keep parents there also, so the public (who's money is as good as yours) can eat in peace if they so choose, or if they too prefer they can also be seated with the families.

golach
05-Feb-11, 16:46
Oooooo - that's diving in with both feet, Golach. Make sure you have your snorkel with you! :lol:

I dont swim Ricco, but I am sure I have no need of a snorkel either :)

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-11, 17:26
In Thurso i see a serious lack of facilities for kids. If you go to the central, chances are that bouncy castle will consume your child! Purely dangerous. The holbourn makes up a great play area through the day for kids. Thats excellent! But where else is there that caters for kids?

Me and my sister went to Reids cafe the other week, the wee one needed a bottle so we went in, the woman took over some hot water or me to heat my bottle and helped us get the 2 toddlers sorted into booster seats. Lovely staff in there. Even though there was no play area we were made very welcome!

As for eating out and a child taking a tantrum, not much can be done! Have to say im lucky! Athrun has been known to gurn a little until his food came but thats it. But if he ever did start to tantrum then i would try and deal with it, calm him down. If that didnt work i would just take him out. But, thats only the extreme. If someone has a problem with my child then they can tell me, deal with me instead! If you dont tell me, tuff! Deal with it because you have chosen not to speak about it!

billmoseley
05-Feb-11, 17:59
children eating out? what ever next no wonder they are getting obese. in my day we made do with scraps never did me any harm.i say keep them locked under the stairs till their old enough to earn a crust and keep restaurants children free.

orkneycadian
05-Feb-11, 18:02
maybey caithness needs a travel in with a beefeater there maybey thats wil give the local hotels a wake up call

Yeeeeeuch. The MacDonalds experience - Exactly the same menu and method of preparation the nation wide.

I don't know how they manage to achieve the same level of blandness right across their menu, and right across the country, but I can only assume its by making the meals in a central "kitchen", airline style, freezing or chilling them, then despatching them all around the country to be re-heated in microwaves.

squidge
05-Feb-11, 19:07
I take the children out regularly although usually lunchtime. As long as they have books and the likes they are usually happy. Fianna is a little frustrated just now as she is just at the feeding herself stage and she can get a wee bit frustrated. We have been out in the evenings with them and we often eat at friends. At home we regularly eat at the table so maybe that helps too.

Bobinovich
05-Feb-11, 19:15

The Central used to have a monopoly as they were the only ones catering for kids with their bouncy castle & play area. However it's so run down and grotty, and the food's gone downhill IMO, that even the kids don't ask to go there anymore. There's nowhere I know of up here offering a decent mix of reasonably priced food and somewhere for kids to play.

buggyracer
05-Feb-11, 19:31
The Holborn have a bouncy castle every Saturday as well as a dedicated childrens play area every other day ;)

shamrock2007
05-Feb-11, 20:57
I love eating out with my kids, its a great learning curve for them. Have always found local hotels very friendly towards them. Its important that the kids are given some attention as it helps the parents relax & enjoy the experience. At the end of the day the children are the custom of the future. I am determined to make my cafe more child friendly as time goes by but we currently offer colouring in sheets & a good children's menu.

henry20
05-Feb-11, 21:20
I was in the holborn last weekend and have to say, despite the number of children, the adults were the loudest in the place ;)

We chose to move to a quieter table bacause the noise created by one table of adults was so bad. Food was lovely, so taking my niece along next week so she can have fun on the bouncy castle!

Dadie
05-Feb-11, 22:13
Whats the holborns childrens bit like?
Is it nice?
I am bemused as to why the family/childrens area in places is so far away from the loos and you have to trail the kids past everyone else trying to have their food (trying to rush but not be impolite) to get there!
In wetherspoons in Wick you even have to go to the bar to get the key for the disabled loo (its the only one with a changing table in) by whch time its too late and you definately need the changing table:eek:
And the floors in the toilets......not nice!

henry20
05-Feb-11, 22:42
Dadie, I only brieflt took notice of the childrens area - it is at bottom end of hotel - next to toilets. I'm not sure if they still have toilets upstairs or not, but it looked as if toilet access would be a battle past children on bouncy castle - I may be wrong though - I never ventured that far. We were just in for a quick lunch and away. Can let you know after next weekend though!!

Sandra_B
07-Feb-11, 14:42
I have eaten in the Pentland many, many times with my children. I have seen other peoples children act horribly and get away with it. I would be more likely to go to a restaurant that put unruly children and their families out so everyone else can enjoy their meal in peace. I think it amazingly inconsiderate of others to allow your "little darling" to run around or to walk the length of the room over and over with a screaming child.

Well done to the Pentland if they've taken steps to stop this behaviour!

Dadie
07-Feb-11, 14:50
My little darlings dont get to run around.
And are generally well behaved when out.
They get warned they wont get dinner if they play up, we just go home.
This threat is not an empty one!
There is a family bit in the Pentland so kids should be welcome and someone walking up and down with a baby is no biggie in a family area!
If the bairn is keeping quiet (ish) while being walked around so what!
In Italy for example its the norm to have the whole family out for a meal including kids and babies!

SunnyChick
07-Feb-11, 15:30
On the rare occasion we go out for lunch/dinner with the kids (age 6 & 4), we accept that this could a bit boring for them, unless we are well prepared. I always have a grab-bag loaded with cars, crayons & paper, books, etc.... things for them to play with quietly.

Sometimes however, kids misbehave, and if they do this to an extent that us, and everyone around us is miserable...then we leave quickly and without too much of a fuss.

We never experienced a problem in Thurso, with all local establishments being helpful and welcoming to us. (Some places are cleaner than others, but hey-ho, that's just the way it is!)

It's important to get your kids used to visiting different restaurants (occasionally) so that they learn how to behave in public.

However, because it's easier this way, if we are planning a day out, we tend to pack a picnic. The kids get to eat foods which they enjoy, and it's not on a plate loaded with greasy chips and ketchup! :lol:

alanabain
11-Feb-11, 23:11
Personaly I think all eating establishments should have a child free zone, so that people who dont want to listen to screeming bairns can eat in peace

Strongly disagree! should everywhere start having child free zones. Can you imagine... designated supermarkets, kid free residential areas, sectioned off beach and boating pond. The world has kids and the world knows what kids are like, we all were one. If you dont want to risk having your meal spoiled by kids then stay at home.

And ShelleyCowie, it was me that took the hot water over to the table. Dont discredit my good service :p

Dadie
12-Feb-11, 00:09
For lunchtime eating kids=££ if you can keep the kids happy the parents come back again and again and spend the same be it the summer season or the dead months of jan feb!
Early evening its acceptable to have kids eating out as well..but later than about 6pm it seems frowned upon up here for reasons unknown if the kids are well behaved you still get dirty looks...