PDA

View Full Version : Dog Dirt in Thurso

Echick1
02-Feb-11, 19:40
What is with all the dog dirt on paths in Thurso took pram out last few times up town and had to wash the tyres as dog dirt on them, i my self have dog and take bags everywhere with me and clean up after him it don't take much and bags are free from council to. I say if you are not going to clean up after them don't have one.
Make you not want to go out walk.:roll:

Claireabelle
02-Feb-11, 19:53
I've been thinking the same myself lately. It's a disgrace.

A couple of weeks ago I went to take my daughter to the new swingpark by the swimming pool. Entering the area from the entrance just across from the pool I counted 14 different lots of dog dirt before reaching the swingpark and decided it just wasn't worth sticking around to risk my daughter fell in any when she was playing. I put it down to the amount of snowfall we had had previously and decided that maybe dog owners just hadn't noticed (a lot of dog owners albeit) But as my Dad later pointed out, in a public area like that, are dogs not supposed to be on leads anyway? In which case, how could the owner fail to notice? Such a shame, such a nice swingpark too.:~(

Bazeye
02-Feb-11, 20:11
Can we make this thread a sticky?

Ash
02-Feb-11, 20:29
I was just talking about this today, using the Ellen bridge today was vile, it is everywhere, I was literally retching all the way!

pottheed
02-Feb-11, 21:56
cats are much worse, they come and do it in your garden!

Torvaig
03-Feb-11, 00:06
cats are much worse, they come and do it in your garden!

So true; I am fighting a losing battle with cat poo in my garden despite using spray, pellets and stick deterrents! Grrrr....

Echick1
03-Feb-11, 12:22
Get a Dog, bt mind when you take it walk clean up after it.

theone
03-Feb-11, 12:55
But as my Dad later pointed out, in a public area like that, are dogs not supposed to be on leads anyway?

That's a "pet" hate of mine, dog owners who let their dogs off the lead on the footpaths around the river and boating pond. Especially "playful" dogs who like to jump up on people. Anyone who's tried to go a jog around the river will know it's near impossible because of them.

Torvaig
03-Feb-11, 15:33
Get a Dog, bt mind when you take it walk clean up after it.

I have a dog but I don't like to witness cat murder! As you say, there is no need for dog poo to be left lying around in public places when the bags are free from the Council Service Point. Hopefully when the "Green Dog Walker" scheme gets up and running the thoughtless people that don't clean up after their dogs will be shamed into doing so.

In this day and age and with the standards of cleanliness we have come to expect, it is a downright disgrace that these people can still allow this to happen and run the risk of spreading disease to animals and humans.

A filthy, filthy habit...... and no excuse for it.

Bazeye
03-Feb-11, 21:58
So true; I am fighting a losing battle with cat poo in my garden despite using spray, pellets and stick deterrents! Grrrr....

Heard orange peel scattered about works. Dont know if its true or not but could be worth a try.

pentlandlad
05-Feb-11, 09:53
There is a campaign on just now on litter on our streets and the fines involved, it would be better money spent by our hard up Council on prosecuting dog owners who dirty our streets, than a few fag butts and litter on the streets, they do not have the risk of diseases, unless of course you smoke them.

katrina
05-Feb-11, 10:04
I have some idiot who lets their dog do it right on my door step, as my door is right on the street. Of course does not bother too pick it up even though there is a dog dirt bin about 10 steps away!! What can i do about it?? Nothing much unless i catch them in action, then maybe a bucket of water will be needed for the cleaning up (owner of course, not the poor dog)

lexie
05-Feb-11, 13:08
i have a dog, i pick up after him, i let him off lead round the river and hes too busy sniffin to chase a jogger!.. yep it peeves me as well , cos gives all dog owners a bad reputation. I have handed poop bags to owners as they walk away from their dogs mess saying " forgot your bag ne're mind heres one"... to have them look at me like i have two heads !!...

out walking twice a day, and i've never seen dog warden !.... does he/she patrol? have fines ever been given out? ..... certainly need to be !!

Torvaig
05-Feb-11, 14:09
I think the dog warden has to cover all of Caithness and her time is mostly taken up with missing/lost/abandoned/abused dogs and I know she is a very busy person.

Again, hopefully if the Green Dog Walker scheme gets up and running and the problem becomes more apparent, the selfish dog owners will be shamed into moving into the 21st century and abide to expected hygienic standards in this day and age.

Again I will reiterate: THIS FILTHY HABIT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN A SUPPOSED CIVILISED SOCIETY! SHAME ON THE CONSTANT OFFENDERS - YOU ARE SPREADING DISEASES THAT AFFECT HUMANS AND ANIMALS!

katrina
05-Feb-11, 14:36
Can the dog warden be contacted via the Org, am i right in thinking her user name is Moptop?? Thanks

lexie
06-Feb-11, 10:24
............ everybody could put pen to paper and write complaining to council...... cos nothings getting done by complaining on here !

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-11, 11:11
i have a dog, i pick up after him, i let him off lead round the river and hes too busy sniffin to chase a jogger!.. yep it peeves me as well , cos gives all dog owners a bad reputation. I have handed poop bags to owners as they walk away from their dogs mess saying " forgot your bag ne're mind heres one"... to have them look at me like i have two heads !!...

out walking twice a day, and i've never seen dog warden !.... does he/she patrol? have fines ever been given out? ..... certainly need to be !!

As Torvaig said the dog warden covers the whole of Caithness on her own. She unfortunately is so busy with the amount of stray and abandoned dogs around here she doesnt have time to patrol every street to check for poop.

Good on you giving people poopy bags! I would too!! And yes, they look at you like your some sort of alien. I remember walking down the river one day with the pram, a man let his dog do the dirty on the bridge and just left it, as i approached i told him his dog had done a poo. He knew, and just walked away! grr!!!

orkneycadian
06-Feb-11, 11:14
Maybe the council could pass a bye-law banning toonies from keeping dogs? All the issues seem to be with dogs in toons. Never hear any complaints about dogs in the country!

JonHend
06-Feb-11, 11:28
That's a "pet" hate of mine, dog owners who let their dogs off the lead on the footpaths around the river and boating pond. Especially "playful" dogs who like to jump up on people. Anyone who's tried to go a jog around the river will know it's near impossible because of them.

So the hundreds of people that walk their dogs around the river walk every day should keep them on a lead in case the odd jogger passes by?

Joggers have the luxury of running wherever they want but there are very few places where dog owners can safely allow their dogs to run free.

I too have noticed a lot more dog mess around the river and am as disgusted by it as non dog owners. With free poo bags and plenty of poo bins, there is no excuse.

snow tiger
06-Feb-11, 17:09
I think the post saying that only country people should have dogs is a bit unfair, how many times have you been out in the county and the verges are full of dog mess, ( The country people should pick up there dogs mess aswell ) I pick up after my dog always.

Blarney
06-Feb-11, 23:26
So the hundreds of people that walk their dogs around the river walk every day should keep them on a lead in case the odd jogger passes by?

Joggers have the luxury of running wherever they want but there are very few places where dog owners can safely allow their dogs to run free.

I too have noticed a lot more dog mess around the river and am as disgusted by it as non dog owners. With free poo bags and plenty of poo bins, there is no excuse.
It doesn't only apply to joggers. Why should 'dogless' people who are out for a walk be molested by someone's dog jumping on them or are you suggesting that we should leave this area free for people to let their dogs off the leash? I have witnessed both children and adults being scared out of their wits by big dogs who leap on them and frighten them half to death while the owners make a half-hearted attempt to call their animals to heel whilst assuring the petrified walker, 'They won't hurt you'. How the hell do they know that they won't? Not everyone likes dogs and for dog-owners to assume that they do is both selfish and ridiculous. I have no ojections to folk owning dogs as long as they keep them on a leash at all times in public areas and PICK UP THEIR POO!

bobsgirl
07-Feb-11, 00:36
As a dog owner myself I do believe that if you are prepared to have a dog then you should be prepared to clean up after them.
I do let my dog off the lead around the river.......I think that a dog gets better exercise when off the lead as they can round about after a ball or even go for a swim. He has went up to people but usually only sniffs them then walks away. If I have seen that the person has been bothered by it I do apologise to them.
I do realise that there is only one dog warden for such a big area......so if this is such a big problem can the council not hire someone else to help her out?!?! Or is that too much to ask.

theone
07-Feb-11, 00:59

In a word, Yes.

What right do "the hundreds" of people walking their dogs have to let them off the lead in a public place?

Dog owners have a legal responsibility to keep their dogs under control. A dog barking at people and jumping all over them is not under control. No matter how much the dog owner laughs at their "playfullness".

Torvaig
07-Feb-11, 01:15
............ everybody could put pen to paper and write complaining to council...... cos nothings getting done by complaining on here !

Lexie, what can the council do about people who have disgusting habits? Some people just will not take their litter home, pick up their dogs' poop or stop throwing cigarette ends on the pavements.

It is the public that have to be educated and yes, I would be delighted if the council would have wardens aplenty patrolling the streets and malls and other pathways used by humans but I bet nobody wants their council tax to increase to cover their wages.

Torvaig
07-Feb-11, 01:22
In a word, Yes.

What right do "the hundreds" of people walking their dogs have to let them off the lead in a public place?

Dog owners have a legal responsibility to keep their dogs under control. A dog barking at people and jumping all over them is not under control. No matter how much the dog owner laughs at their "playfullness".

I agree with you there as before I had a dog myself, I was very wary if a "loose" dog came anywhere near me. I was never used to them (except on farms where they were not pets but workers).

I do let my dog loose on the beach as he loves swimming but I put him on the lead again if there are small children about as no matter how friendly a dog is, it is wrong to have one jump up on a child - or an adult for that matter. Just not acceptable.

SunnyChick
08-Feb-11, 23:18
I had a problem last summer with someone emptying their beast on our property. A post on here and appropriate signage in-situ seemed to help.

Someone I know is having awful problems with someone regularly emptying their dog on her grass. She's had to resort to CCTV at considerable expense, but hopefully it will end up with a conviction!

jings00
09-Feb-11, 11:27
Are there not signs at the start of the riverside walk to say dogs must be kept on a lead?

simpsoney
10-Feb-11, 00:16
Thurso East is getting really bad. I have to climb one of the walls most days and most times it is in the dark and the 8/10 times i end up with it on my boots. People seem to think that because it isnt on the street etc they dont have to clean it up or it wont get noticed. The dog warden put two bins down there at both ends so people are obviously just being lazy!!! I also have my kids with me sometimes and i have to make sure they stand at the edge of the verge when i am crossing the wall.

oldmarine
10-Feb-11, 00:42
Pets are the responsibility of the owners. They are the ones who should be responsible for the poo or any dirt or damage caused by the pet.