PDA

View Full Version : About "the song game" thread

Saveman
23-Aug-06, 15:59
It's huge! What's going on? Of all the threads that have ever graced this forum the one that gets to the highest amount of posts is a game thread?
I'm not sure whether I'm delighted or aggrieved.

Pultneytooner you have created a monster! ;)

Billy Boy
23-Aug-06, 16:19
sorry no comment,i'am so sad i got addicted and posted 288 times,should i be delighted or aggrieved:eek:

MadPict
23-Aug-06, 16:22
Hmm, maybe time to put such 'game' threads into a forum where the post count is turned off - it has already been used as a means to boost post counts.

That 1K.Orger title may seem attractive to some....

RockChick84
23-Aug-06, 16:33
Your exactly right. It's an easy way for people to increase their number of posts, people aren't in it for the fun like at the start anymore.

Billy Boy
23-Aug-06, 16:46
Your exactly right. It's an easy way for people to increase their number of posts, people aren't in it for the fun like at the start anymore.

are you tarring everyone with the same brush lol?i for one just got carried away a wee bit,but it was fun for a while,as for trying to increase my post's:lol: thats a laugh,as for the number of post i have that just show's i'am a sad git who need's to get out more:eek:

Elenna
23-Aug-06, 16:59
Well, I'm surprised it has gone on so long, but delighted it has, and personally, I'm still having fun with it!

Its great to be able to pop in and play a bit when I can, and its wonderful to be reminded of a lot of great music that I hadn't thought about for years, and be introduced to some new stuff, too. I think it is so popular because it is something Everyone can contribute to...we all know songs, no matter what our age, status, or background.

And it is a great laugh when there are 3 or 4 people (or more) playing at the same time...trying to beat the others to a reply, and then having to think on ones feet and do a fast edit if you dont make it!

I don't know of anyone who has been playing simply to boost their post count, though I admit it is possible. Sad, if it is true, as I think most people play because it is a little fun to be had that requires a bit of thought, but doesn't demand a whole lot of time.

obiron
23-Aug-06, 18:42

maybe some people are. i think its fun trying to mind wierd songs gets the brain going. some people have come up with some good ones which makes me look through the cds to see if i have it and have a listen. then there are the songs that bring back memories of what i was doing then be it good or bad.
hope it continues.

Colin Manson
23-Aug-06, 18:51
Hmm, maybe time to put such 'game' threads into a forum where the post count is turned off - it has already been used as a means to boost post counts.

I agree, these types of threads will now have a separate forum with no post count. They'll be moved shortly.

Elenna
23-Aug-06, 19:05
Heehee...I think I just got caught in the move! I went into the Song Game thread on this forum, posted, and ended up on the new Forum! Very Twilight Zone....:eek: <theme music begins to play....>

pultneytooner
23-Aug-06, 19:05
What a shame, the most popular thread on c.org and it's being relegated, nullified for absolutely no reason or need after all it's just a bit of fun.
Seems to me that anybody complaining about such threads could be more worried about how many posts they have than the people who acctualy contribute to the thread.
Why would a post count be important to anyone, is there some grand prize at the end of it all?http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/voltarol/lame.gif..........[lol]

Big Jean
23-Aug-06, 19:24
I agree with pultneytooner .
I find it fun popping in from time to time to see what songs have been added and to contribute . Keeps the old brain cells working ! Perhaps those who did or are complaining are not music lovers, or perhaps they just like to complain !!
As far as a way to increase posts - do you really believe that ? I don't. It is just a game afterall, a bit of fun and definitely popular .

golach
23-Aug-06, 19:27
I agree with pultneytooner .
I find it fun popping in from time to time to see what songs have been added and to contribute . Keeps the old brain cells working ! Perhaps those who did or are complaining are not music lovers, or perhaps they just like to complain !!
As far as a way to increase posts - do you really believe that ? I don't. It is just a game afterall, a bit of fun and definitely popular .
But the games are still there.......look in the Games Thread

pultneytooner
23-Aug-06, 19:36
But the games are still there.......look in the Games Thread
That's not the point, people are being accused of using the thread only to bolster their post count so please explain what is so important about a post count that people would even have it in their minds to do this?
Why doesn't c.org just get rid of the post count altogether, makes sense?[disgust]
What constitutes a frivolous post?

Colin Manson
23-Aug-06, 19:37
What a shame, the most popular thread on c.org and it's being relegated, nullified for absolutely no reason or need after all it's just a bit of fun.
Seems to me that anybody complaining about such threads could be more worried about how many posts they have than the people who acctualy contribute to the thread.
Why would a post count be important to anyone, is there some grand prize at the end of it all?..........[lol]

It's being moved from the General Section because it isn't general interest; it's a specific thread that lots of Users never post in. The same way that the photography threads were moved and the various other threads before.

I never took Savemans comment to be a complaint, more of a compliment and a sensible suggestion.

If post count really doesn't matter then it shouldn't be an issue that I've removed the count from that section. After all the posts don't contain any other content than continuing the game so why should they count.

Big Jean
23-Aug-06, 19:40
Yes, I know they are still there . I for one will continue to enjoy the thread and post as long as it goes on and on and on ........ I guess I just don't understand the need to move it, however saying that, at least one will not have to look far for it anymore . Perhaps I should thank the complainers after all !

golach
23-Aug-06, 19:41
Yes, I know they are still there . I for one will continue to enjoy the thread and post as long as it goes on and on and on ........ I guess I just don't understand the need to move it, however saying that, at least one will not have to look far for it anymore . Perhaps I should thank the complainers after all !
But nobody complained as far as I can see

pultneytooner
23-Aug-06, 19:52
It's being moved from the General Section because it isn't general interest; it's a specific thread that lots of Users never post in. The same way that the photography threads were moved and the various other threads before.

I never took Savemans comment to be a complaint, more of a compliment and a sensible suggestion.

If post count really doesn't matter then it shouldn't be an issue that I've removed the count from that section. After all the posts don't contain any other content than continuing the game so why should they count.
I never took any sign of complaint from savemans post either, lets clarify that.
How many posters does a thread have to have before it becomes of general interest and as for specific threads that lots of people never post in the same could be said of conspiracy theories and the like, same old, same old?
Bumping threads is more of a pain but you already know that.
Post counts don't matter for me but what about all the people that it does have some significance to, was there any need to strip their post counts also.
I just wondered what the significance of a post count actually is that a thread can be classed as frivolous?;)

Saveman
23-Aug-06, 19:54
Perhaps it is I who has created a monster...... ;)

pultneytooner
23-Aug-06, 19:55
Perhaps it is I who has created a monster...... ;)
You could be right.[lol]

Colin Manson
23-Aug-06, 20:03
I just wondered what the significance of a post count actually is that a thread can be classed as frivolous?;)

Post count leads to a change in User status by changing the user's primary usergroup, usergroups have different limits for various settings on the forum.

We use this system to control what things a user can do within the forum, if users can gain an excessive number of posts without it being deemed frivolous then it detracts from the system that we have in place.

I don't consider the game threads as frivolous posts but neither do I think that they should be 'counted' the same way that other posts are. In a very short space of time a user can gain access to do things without ever posting a non-game type of post.

Saveman
23-Aug-06, 20:03
You could be right.

[lol] Never worry Pulneytooner, nobody will ever forget that you created the biggest thread ever.......;)

Big Jean
23-Aug-06, 20:20
But nobody complained as far as I can see

Perhaps accusations would have been a better word for me to use golach, and no, I didn't take as a complaint from Saveman's post either . As far as post counts, that is not why I was playing. That does not matter - not to me at least . It is a fun game plain and simple . In any case, it does not matter anymore, it has moved and people can play, not play, read or not read, enjoy or not enjoy . It is entirely up to themselves .

Tiger Jones
23-Aug-06, 21:01
Speaking for myself, the Song Game was never about boosting my post count. Rather it was an enjoyable way for this new user to ease myself in and get to know regular user names.

Plus, I don't think any arguments have blown up in there :D

Buttercup
23-Aug-06, 21:15
What gives MadPict and RockChick84 the right to assume that anyone that takes part in the Song Thread is just “post boosting”?
I’ve posted on this thread because I love music and the jog my memory gets when I see a title I’ve forgotten about and I enjoy the challenge and yes it still is fun for a few of us RockChick84! Yes it boosted my “post count” but that was by-the-way and the same can be said about EVERY post on EVERY thread. Maybe we need guidelines:
You may only post X number of times on each thread.
You may only post X number of times in a 24 hour period.
Meanwhile, I for one will continue the challenge as long as I’m allowed.

MadPict
23-Aug-06, 21:30
What gives MadPict and RockChick84 the right to assume that anyone that takes part in the Song Thread is just “post boosting”?

Buttercup,
I only made a suggestion.....

Buttercup
23-Aug-06, 21:38

Your suggestion is one thing, that doesn't bother me. But you imply that it is (now I suppose I should say was) being used simply to boost post counts and I really don't think that is fair nor is it true.

pultneytooner
23-Aug-06, 21:39
Post count leads to a change in User status by changing the user's primary usergroup, usergroups have different limits for various settings on the forum.

We use this system to control what things a user can do within the forum, if users can gain an excessive number of posts without it being deemed frivolous then it detracts from the system that we have in place.

I don't consider the game threads as frivolous posts but neither do I think that they should be 'counted' the same way that other posts are. In a very short space of time a user can gain access to do things without ever posting a non-game type of post.

If someone was using the thread solely for boosting their post count, which I doubt very much as I think that is insulting peoples intelligence why did you feel it necessary for you to remove the post count of everyone that contributed to the thread?

Colin Manson
23-Aug-06, 21:48
I'm locking this thread now, I moved the threads for my own reasons.

I did take the suggestion of a new forum and turning off post counts but not because I believe that ANY users were abusing the system.

If I thought that I'd have done something about the thread a long time ago.

However the constant bumping that occurs with very popular topics such as the games or photographs does bother me. The General section is the ever changing face of the forum and as such I don't want to see it stuck with the same threads day after day, anything that is that popular deserves a place of its own.

The post count was switched off to stop the rapid accumulation of post counts because that affects our systems which takes post count into consideration.

Cheers
Colin