PDA

View Full Version : Egypt

brandy
30-Jan-11, 14:52
wow, just reading the news today.. have been looking at it for a while now.. but its really scary thinking about how much unrest is in the world right now.. Greece, Tunisia, Egypt.. there is civil war and uprising everywhere i look it seems. is this the beginning of something much much bigger, or is it something that will blow over.. what do you think?

bekisman
30-Jan-11, 15:42
A kind of domino theory, if one country falls, the others will follow.. I'm sure Saudi Arabia is getting worried, a lot of rich folks at the top.. AND no doubt Israel is getting twitchy too - as with Egypt a moderating influence in the Mid East under Mubarak (with reference to Israel), who's to say what will come after? the Police are finished it's down to the Military; will they support Mubarak or the people, if Mubarak, a blood bath will result?.. it's interesting to a high degree

highland red
30-Jan-11, 16:01
I believe that Wikileaks "outed" Ben Ali from Tunisia as he was ACCUSED of salting away money in overseas bank accounts etc. I'm not sure that Mubarak should be considered a moderating influence though: (I don't know too much about him to tell the truth). The only thing that is a bit unsettling though, as far as any internal strife in the Middle East is concerned, is that it is bound to be used as a "springboard" for radical fundamentalist fervour and political gain or change.

oldmarine
30-Jan-11, 17:45
wow, just reading the news today.. have been looking at it for a while now.. but its really scary thinking about how much unrest is in the world right now.. Greece, Tunisia, Egypt.. there is civil war and uprising everywhere i look it seems. is this the beginning of something much much bigger, or is it something that will blow over.. what do you think?

It does not look good to me. I see Islamic Muslims fighting in too many places. I had enough fighting during WW2. I see it going on with my country in Iraq & Afghanistan. I hope we don't get envolved in this mess. I have seen scenes in London which makes me cautious of the plans for the future.

tonkatojo
30-Jan-11, 20:59
I read the population are fighting for a better life, there is not a lot of employment ETC.

Start a pyramid building program for the presidents they seem to rule as long as the Egyptian kings did. :confused

Kenn
31-Jan-11, 02:26
I see this more as an expression of people who have been oppressed for a long time and that the literati are now calling for the freedoms we take for granted.
I can see any islamic state following this with great interest and some concern as if the insurrection spreads then there are many countries that will see their authoritarianism being challenged.
It always seems a great shame to me that the islamic countries who gave so much to the world seem to have retreated into a dark age when they are capable of being amongst the best scholars in the world and of sharing their pioneering knowledge.

dafi
31-Jan-11, 03:17
I think the real danger is of a blood bath. This has gone on for a while and Mubarak is showing no signs of going, its obvious that he cant continue with the status quo and he will have to break them if he is to survive. Its not looking to clever!!

Bazeye
31-Jan-11, 23:53
Due to the rioting my flight was cancelled and I had to get the Night Boat to Cairo. Absolute madness.

Kodiak
01-Feb-11, 15:25
The Exodus of Egypt Continues.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/02/01/egypt-mass-exodus-continues.html?ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Is this the 2nd Exodus?

Logical
01-Feb-11, 18:32
Due to the rioting my flight was cancelled and I had to get the Night Boat to Cairo. Absolute madness.

I don't know how you cope.

They can riot all they want about oppression but the day the if the council only collect my bins once a fortnight is the day I call for revolution.

Douglas Cowie
01-Feb-11, 18:39

This posting is One Step Beyond if you ask me!

George Brims
01-Feb-11, 19:01
What I read online overnight and heard on the radio this morning as well, from one American reporter on the ground, is that people in Egypt are hoping to become a secular democratic state like Turkey. Fingers crossed. Recall that when the current Turkish government were elected, they started to move toward appeasing the Islamists - enforcing wearing of headscarves and the like. People immediately took to the streets in huge numbers and told them to shove it. I remember one guy's poster reading "I am proud to be a Muslim. I am proud to live in a non-Muslim state." However my big worry is it will be the literate middle class that will shove Mubarak out, but the less educated majority will vote for the Islamists once democracy arrive. As has always been said, the problem with democracy is you never know who is going to be elected.

Bazeye
01-Feb-11, 19:19

It was a bit of an embarrassment wasnt it.

Bazeye
01-Feb-11, 19:20
What I read online overnight and heard on the radio this morning as well, from one American reporter on the ground, is that people in Egypt are hoping to become a secular democratic state like Turkey. Fingers crossed. Recall that when the current Turkish government were elected, they started to move toward appeasing the Islamists - enforcing wearing of headscarves and the like. People immediately took to the streets in huge numbers and told them to shove it. I remember one guy's poster reading "I am proud to be a Muslim. I am proud to live in a non-Muslim state." However my big worry is it will be the literate middle class that will shove Mubarak out, but the less educated majority will vote for the Islamists once democracy arrive. As has always been said, the problem with democracy is you never know who is going to be elected.

Maybe, better the devil you know in this case.

mop top
01-Feb-11, 19:54
Off to Sharm el Sheikh in 5 weeks has anyone heard if that part of Egypt will be affected, it does have its own airport etc cant seem to find any info online as to whether its likely to be affected or not.

golach
01-Feb-11, 20:07
Mop Top, have a look here
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/egypt

Logical
01-Feb-11, 21:15

I know, what a disgusting, ignorant, indifferent git.

ducati
01-Feb-11, 21:37
This situation is giving me cause for optimism. If the right (I mean correct) parties are able to prise Mubarak out in the correct manner, and given the right circumstances we could see the beginning of a soft revolution throughout the middle east that could usher in a new age of enlightement.

I can imagine the looks on the faces of the rulers of Saudie, Kuwait and UAE at the moment, you know the expression, like you've just walked into an empty lift shaft :eek:

brandy
01-Feb-11, 21:46
it is heartening to hear that the military is not using force on them. not heard anything today.. but will check the news before bed.

northener
02-Feb-11, 14:32
Off to Sharm el Sheikh in 5 weeks has anyone heard if that part of Egypt will be affected, it does have its own airport etc cant seem to find any info online as to whether its likely to be affected or not.

I don't know if Sharm will be caught up in all this, MopTop, but I'd guess it should be OK.

The big difference with Sharm and other Egyptian towns is that Sharm is a purpose-built resort town and as such has no indigenous population that are not working in the tourist industry.
Therefore no 'masses' of disenfranchised locals who are willing to go out onto the streets to protest. The only locals tend to be men who have come into Sharm for work - so the resident non-tourist population is very small.

Plus the Tourist police tend to be on the ball on a day-to-day basis in Sharm. I'm sure the Egyptian Government will be very keen to avoid any violent situations where tourists get caught up. Tourism is Egypts main income IIRC.

As Golach suggested, keep tabs on the FO website and contact your tour operator on a regular basis.

HTH.

rob1
02-Feb-11, 14:55

Hi Mop Top,
My other half is one holiday at the moment new Sharm. She is having a great time with no worries at all.

Your best bet, as I think others have said is to check the foreign office website.

Enjoy your hols.

Logical
02-Feb-11, 18:01
The thing that i find quite stupid is while America agrees with the protestors that a free and democratic state is what is needed, the tear gas being used by the military is "made in the USA".

On a side note, all the demonstrations were aranged over social networking sites, if Facebook and Twitter is all that is needed to install freedom and democracy then why did we ever invade Iraq? Why didn't we just..... poke them?

bekisman
02-Feb-11, 18:16
The thing that i find quite stupid is while America agrees with the protestors that a free and democratic state is what is needed, the tear gas being used by the military is "made in the USA".

On a side note, all the demonstrations were aranged over social networking sites, if Facebook and Twitter is all that is needed to install freedom and democracy then why did we ever invade Iraq? Why didn't we just..... poke them?
Isn't it ironic, that Aluminium ($34.6 million - 1.4%, up 17.8%) that Egypt exports to the USA is used to make tear gas containers!

oldmarine
02-Feb-11, 21:06

I agree with George on this one. If the wrong ones take power our country's will suffer in the long run.

bekisman
10-Feb-11, 19:22
It's getting very close now, I think that the military will 'force' Mubarak to stand down tonight, that the present Ruling Party will not be allowed a new leader, that the Military will take control. They are trusted by the people, and will run things until stability has returned?

Garnet
10-Feb-11, 20:53
I hope beisman is right about the present party NOT being allowed to rule and that the Army does not become a dictatorship itself otherwise it's ..out of the frying pan & into the fire !! I also agree with george b and oldmarine especialy as he points out that our countries will suffer I sincerely hope not

There is a book 'within' a book which says the war to end all wars will start in the middle east.....mind you doesn't say when!
About ten minutes to go for 'THE' announcement...........fingers crossed!!!

bekisman
10-Feb-11, 21:41
Wish he'd hurry up and get on with it - he's running late!

brandy
10-Feb-11, 21:55
not that hes saying much.. other than hes not stepping down

bekisman
10-Feb-11, 22:07
Oh dear - I'm wrong.. what a stupid, stupid man, how long before another Khalid Islambouli?

brandy
10-Feb-11, 22:18
im amazed he has not stopped a bullet yet. it looks as if the military will have to preform a coup. i really do not want to see this turn violent. the man is an imbecile!

Kenn
11-Feb-11, 02:25
Have been following this with great interest, am not sure what the outcome will be but the protestors have my admiration. I just hope that the people of Egypt will be allowed to choose their own destiny what ever that might be.

oldmarine
11-Feb-11, 02:36
Have been following this with great interest, am not sure what the outcome will be but the protestors have my admiration. I just hope that the people of Egypt will be allowed to choose their own destiny what ever that might be.

LIZZ: I likewise hope the people of Egypt will be allowed to choose their own destiny; however, I hope those people will be friendly to Great Britain and the USA.

bekisman
11-Feb-11, 11:49
Well we had a British military presence in Egypt from 1882 to 1936 - but don't think we did that well to em....

golach
11-Feb-11, 11:57
Well we had a British military presence in Egypt from 1882 to 1936 - but don't think we did that well to em....

I think we had a military presence in Egypt until at least 1952

bekisman
11-Feb-11, 13:18
I think we had a military presence in Egypt until at least 1952

You're right, in 1954 Britain agrees to withdrawal of 65,000 servicemen "Evacuation Treaty" signed. British forces, who began a gradual withdrawal in 1936 finally leave Egypt.
Of course there was the Suez Crises where we invaded in Nov 1956, and then on 24th December 1956 British troops depart Egypt (again)...
My point was we never did 'em any favours

bekisman
11-Feb-11, 17:21
He's seen sense:

"In the name of God the merciful, the compassionate, citizens, during these very difficult circumstances Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of president of the republic and has charged the high council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country,"
BBC
(I was not too far off)

dafi
11-Feb-11, 17:23
HOW COOL IS THIS!!!

This has to be the best thing to happen on live TV since the commie dictatorships fell.......unreall!!!!

bekisman
11-Feb-11, 18:16
Noticed a couple of Saudi flags in liberation Square, is Saudi Arabia the next domino to fall?

brandy
11-Feb-11, 18:33
now its to see where it goes from here..

Tubthumper
11-Feb-11, 20:24
I'm loving the hypocrisy. The USA, which apparently 'gives' $1bn to Egypt each year and has been key in keeping Mubarak in power for 30 years, is mad keen for democracy to prevail. The tanks which have kept out of it are M60s, M1s (built in Egypt under license) and M113 APCs. But the rifles are Kalashnikovs.

It's good to see people power win a battle. But who will win the war...?

And what will the neighbours say about all the noise? :eek:

golach
11-Feb-11, 20:37
You're right, in 1954 Britain agrees to withdrawal of 65,000 servicemen "Evacuation Treaty" signed. British forces, who began a gradual withdrawal in 1936 finally leave Egypt.
Of course there was the Suez Crises where we invaded in Nov 1956, and then on 24th December 1956 British troops depart Egypt (again)...
My point was we never did 'em any favours

My point was that "investigative Journalists" should get their facts right in the first place [lol]

bekisman
11-Feb-11, 21:04
My point was that "investigative Journalists" should get their facts right in the first place [lol]
Wot! I've checked and it was mistyped.. did you never mistype in your tax-office days? (And I don't get paid for this)

bekisman
11-Feb-11, 21:05
I don't think it's hypocrisy, it's common sense and politics. It was in 1979, after the Camp David Accords and the Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty, that the yanks have been the main supplier to Egypt's military. Even we, (UK) sent £4.7 million worth of arms to Egypt -. most counties do..
To get US military access to the Suez Canal (and overflying permission), it is crucial to have a close military relationship with the Egyptians, and as sop to Egypt for continuing to uphold its peace agreement with Israel. The Yanks hope that the $1.5 billion per year provided to Egypt 'buys' the yanks considerable influence in Egypt.
Of course it might go belly-up if Egypt comes under the influence of, say, the Muslim Brotherhood, who might well tell the Americans "whoops sorry but Suez canal is closed to you vessels" and could have massive negativity if the peace with Israel goes pear-shape
Finally the US is left hoping that the Egyptian military will peacefully maintain control, help prop up the interim government, and eventually preside over a smooth change-over of power from one regime friendly to American interests to another – more democratic – government similarly aligned to the West.. Commonsense and the way of the world.(I'm afraid).

bekisman
12-Feb-11, 10:17
Is this the next Domino?
"Riot police have been deployed in the centre of the Algerian capital, Algiers, ahead of a planned anti-government rally."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12438015

Tubthumper
12-Feb-11, 10:48
Loving your new motto Bekisman.

oldmarine
12-Feb-11, 14:57
It's not over until it's over. The Muslim brotherhood could still wind up as the victors. It all depends on the Egyptian Army and commanders.

bekisman
12-Feb-11, 19:44
It's not over until it's over. The Muslim brotherhood could still wind up as the victors. It all depends on the Egyptian Army and commanders.

So far, so good: "Egypt's military authorities have reaffirmed the country's commitment to all its international treaties. The announcement, which was read by a senior officer on state TV, implicitly confirms that the country's peace treaty with Israel will remain intact."

bekisman
12-Feb-11, 19:46
Loving your new motto Bekisman.

Thanks Tubs - thought it topical!