PDA

View Full Version : John O'Groats House Hotel

neepnipper
23-Aug-06, 08:25
Once again this year a constant stream of questions from tourists regarding John O'Groats House Hotel.

It is an absolute crime that such an historic and beautiful building should be allowed to rot and bring disgrace to John O'Groats. It should be the centre of attraction not the eyesore that it is becoming.

Opened by the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, in 1874 and visited by various well known historical figures such as Emily Pankhurst it surely deserves to be preserved for the future.

It is currently owned by Heritage Great Britain who also own the Last House and Museum (where I work) and Lands End.

I don't really know how it could be bought back to its former glory, is there any way the current owner could be forced to restore the building?

What can be done, any ideas?

I believe when it was an operational hotel up until about six years ago it was popular and successful, is this true?

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 09:18
I am also sorry to see its decline. I remember it when De Savary owned it - stayed there myself on 2 or 3 occasions, doing packages to Orkney. It was enjoyable for sure. When it was sold, it started its decline. I've no idea who the present owner is but whoever should be shot for letting it go. I wish I had the kind of money to buy it.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 10:26
Just found this but it seems undated -
http://www.jogroats.co.uk/

neepnipper
23-Aug-06, 10:38
I found that too but it is way out of date.

I have just e-mailed Heritage Great Britain, I've asked for their comments on the state of the hotel.

Really annoyed me because on their website they proudly proclaim ' Preserving, Protecting, Promoting'. Uhmmmm!

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 10:45
At the time de Savary owned it he also had Lands End and one other place - name escapes me but was supposed to be the most westerly mainland place in scotland. Have no idea what it is. I remember one visit when the Manager was actually up a ladder painting the place. I think it was rumoured that a 'local' businessman had bought it but I really have no idea.

flash
23-Aug-06, 11:08
The most westerly point on the Scottish mainland is Ardnamuchan Point in Argyll. It boasts a lighthouse with visitor center and a nearby hotel, which is not run down like the JOG one.. Beautifull part of the world.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 11:12
have you the name of the hotel?

topotheuk
23-Aug-06, 11:24
Would it be worthwhile starting a petition and sending it to Heritage GB? It is such a shame. It could be a goldmine for tourism, weddings, functions, meals, etc, etc. I can't believe it is allowed to just rot away either.

Countryman
23-Aug-06, 11:44
I rember it as a boy great place for high tea - Could the Council put an order on the owners to stop it ending up as a derelict site.
Or could the Caithness Intiative look at taking it over and injecting some of the partrons money into it.
The owners should be condemed for their lack of progress on bringing the building back to life. What have they been doing since they purchased it - someone said waiting to sell it at a large profit.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 13:54
Thinking about "what could be done" reminds me to follow the thread on getting involved. The Hotel is certainly an issue needing to be taken up, but by whom, where, when, etc etc. Who will take the lead? and will others follow - closely or a 'safe distance behind'?

flash
23-Aug-06, 14:00
have you the name of the hotel?

Kingetter

the hotel is called The Sonachan hotel, try www.sonachan.com (http://www.sonachan.com)

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 14:05
Cheers for that flash - looks a great place but that cannot be the hotel for as it says - "Sonachan has been in the MacPhail family for forty years".

The talk was when De savary was 'around' was he had north,south, west, and only needed east to do the set - east would probably have been Lindisfarne I guess. so there must be another 'west' hotel - maybe owned by whoever bought J O G.

flash
23-Aug-06, 14:10
maybe try Kilchoan House Hotel in the neighbouring village

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 14:17
Guess not either, and probably doesn't matter unless it happened to be a way to get in touch with the owner of J O G, assuming they're connected and I've no idea if they are. I bet someone local to JOG has an idea who it is though but will be keeping quiet.

katarina
23-Aug-06, 14:32
We used to go there for wonderful meals, brilliant atmosphere, roaring fire in winter! If you had a meal, you could stay the night for bed and continental breakfast for free. I think that was before De Savary. It was very popular then.
When I was a child we used to go there for a cup of tea and cakes in the afternoon, when we came over for a sail when I lived on Stroma, or when we went for our sunday run when we moved to the mainland. I once had my photo taken by a couple of holidaymakers outside the hotel, I was about ten. Don't know why they wanted me in the picture - they just said, 'Oh, what a pretty little girl! Would you come and have your photo taken with us:Razz ?' (hee Hee) I wonder where that photo is now?

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 14:37
Those halcyon days eh?
Yet it makes me wonder about attributable causes for the decline. Why did folk want to use it? Did it have anything to do with the Orkney connection, and if so, was there a decline in interest in visiting Orkney? I know it didn't happen overnight, but there have to be good valid reasons, right?

katarina
23-Aug-06, 14:50
De savart bought it intending to upgrade it, then changed his mind and sold it on, buying somewhere in sutherland instead. The new owner (so I've heard - but this may be all wrong) was hoping for a massive grant which was not forthcoming, so he lost interest.
We should all get together and use our people power to have this lovely old part of our heritage restored.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 14:58
"We should all get together " - is that possible even if desirable?
Any ideas what price tag there may be on it as it is now?

neepnipper
23-Aug-06, 15:17
As I put in my original thread the hotel is owned by Heritage Great Britain who also own the Last House museum and gift shop and Lands End, they also own the Needles, Snowdon Mountain Railway and a few other attractions dotted around the UK.

I think it would need a few million to bring it up to scratch, I went inside last year and every wall is mouldy and damp with wallpaper hanging off in strips and buckets everywhere to catch water dripping through the ceilings.

topotheuk
23-Aug-06, 15:31
I've just sent an email to Heritage GB too. Have also asked some questions about the state of the building. Will be interesting to find out if they reply and what they say. Will let you all know if I get a reply.

Why don't you all send them an email? Might make them think about what they are doing

cuddlepop
23-Aug-06, 15:32
Next yeat is suppose to be Highland councils year of culture or something like that tital.
If you were able to get a commitee together i'm pretty sure they'd be money floating about.
Been up there a few times and its in such a sorry state of affairs it may just cost too much to repair.The question may be then that it needs to be demolished.

saffy100
23-Aug-06, 15:44
Hi

Does anyone know when is was bought from DeSavre, was it quite recent (past couple of years).

When a friend of mine worked there just before it closed it was in a sorry state and i think the whole roof needed replacing and that was over 5 years ago, it will probably need complete renovation.
I would think that it is a listed building and cannot be demolished (hopefully it can't) but i'm sure if it could have been then we would probably be seeing a shiny new complex with no history behind it.

Saffy100

peter macdonald
23-Aug-06, 16:06
I totally agree with Saffy whilst tourism is all things to all men it is a crying shame to see a beautiful historic building being left to rot .John o Groats has so much to offer but some of its "real" attractions hardly ever get mentioned
eg one of the most amazing ,easily accessable pieces of coastal scenery in the UK are the stacks of Duncansby yet two small signs niether of give a clue to what is there, are all thats provided,
There is not any mention of the Viking habitations at Duncansby that the archologists were so enthused by a couple of years ago any where as far as I know
I dont think there is any real information about the Pentland Firth abouts its tides or its history
Its a good job the guy in Seaview is so helpfull to visitors providing good useful information to allow at least some tourists to get a better insight into the area

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 16:45
As I put in my original thread the hotel is owned by Heritage Great Britain who also own the Last House museum and gift shop and Lands End, they also own the Needles, Snowdon Mountain Railway and a few other attractions dotted around the UK.

I think it would need a few million to bring it up to scratch, I went inside last year and every wall is mouldy and damp with wallpaper hanging off in strips and buckets everywhere to catch water dripping through the ceilings.

Gets worse and worse doesn't it?

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 16:47
I've just sent an email to Heritage GB too. Have also asked some questions about the state of the building. Will be interesting to find out if they reply and what they say. Will let you all know if I get a reply.

Why don't you all send them an email? Might make them think about what they are doing

What? Get involved? lol

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 16:51
Next yeat is suppose to be Highland councils year of culture or something like that tital.
If you were able to get a commitee together i'm pretty sure they'd be money floating about.
Been up there a few times and its in such a sorry state of affairs it may just cost too much to repair.The question may be then that it needs to be demolished.

The real money needed is European - Highland Council's budget would never allow for that sort of project - unless they retained a stake in it.
Great venue for a (working) Caithness Arts and Crafts Museum?

katarina
24-Aug-06, 08:18

what's the address?

neepnipper
24-Aug-06, 08:24
www.heritagegb.co.uk

Let's all send an e-mail and see what response we get!

Elenna
24-Aug-06, 09:55
I'll try to get an email off later today, and I will enlist Saltire to do the same. He's very good with campaigns, and petitions, and such.

Kingetter
24-Aug-06, 19:12
If someone cares to let me have a 'copy' of what they've sent, I'll try and get one off as well.

neepnipper
26-Aug-06, 15:01
Has anyone had a response to their e-mails? I havn't, will give them to the middle of next week then chase I'll them up.

Kingetter
26-Aug-06, 15:05
Anyone want to share what they put in their email?

bosco
26-Aug-06, 15:58
I tried sending an e-mail to www.heritage.co.uk (http://www.heritage.co.uk) and the address was not listed so if somone could help me with an e-mail address please of the above so i could e-mail them about the state the hotel is in .:(

Kingetter
26-Aug-06, 16:07
This any better?
http://www.heritage.co.uk/apavilions/fr01.html

neepnipper
26-Aug-06, 17:07
The correct address is www.heritagegb.co.uk