PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

Aestus57
29-Jan-11, 20:32
:eek: Is it just me but when I'm driving at night I seem to be blinded by the badly adjusted headlights of cars coming towards me. It seems like at least one in three cars need their dipped beams adjusting. I always thought that this was part of the MOT test. :eek:

sids
29-Jan-11, 20:38
I always thought that this was part of the MOT test.

It is part of the MoT test.

manloveswife
29-Jan-11, 22:07
It is part of the MOT test but....as most modern cars have an adjuster inside the cabin, the adjuster can be on low for the test and so pass, and lights are then adjusted back up by the driver at the flick of his switch / dial when test over and continues to dazzle everyone coming the other way.

Another annoying thing is that it seems most drivers here refuse to dip their lights until they can see yours directly for about 3 seconds, not before rounding the bend, or arriving over the brow of a hill, no, much better to have the oncoming vehicle unable to place itself properly on the road..............

I don't know why, but Caithness seems to be the worst for this, drive from Inverness at night, barely a problem, lights seem to be adjusted quite well in the main, and most drivers dip before actually coming in direct sight, but get up towards Helmsdale and that all seems to start to change.

Obviously some dont remember the dip dont dazzle campaigns, and that was when mainbeam was like a candle compared to this HID (or whatever fancy xenon tecnology is called) fancy lighting.

sweetpea
29-Jan-11, 22:24
No it's not just you. Coming out of Thurso other night I had to drive at 45-50mph because someone in a car behind me decided to sit on my arse with one healight looking at me and the other looking for me, whilst not bothering to overtake. The whole inside of my car was lit up and I was blinded, this went on until they decided to overtake me just beford the dip at Oldhall.

Stargazer
29-Jan-11, 22:34
If you relace a blown headlamp bulb the aim needs to be checked.

LoneSomeDove
29-Jan-11, 22:48
ive been blinded many times by these headlights, but then i have noticed that in caithness the trend seems to be drive with only one headlight working, even the police seem to have taken this up, i saw one not long ago with only one working headlight, or drive along and blind anyone in the road.
I have a control switch but never use it unless going up a country road.

EDDIE
29-Jan-11, 23:54
No it's not just you. Coming out of Thurso other night I had to drive at 45-50mph because someone in a car behind me decided to sit on my arse with one healight looking at me and the other looking for me, whilst not bothering to overtake. The whole inside of my car was lit up and I was blinded, this went on until they decided to overtake me just beford the dip at Oldhall.

So why didnt you flip your rear view mirror up so u wont get dazzled (A lot of rear view mirrors have we knob on so u can move the mirror to the ant dazzle bit)

highland red
30-Jan-11, 00:01
I posted something along these lines a while ago, and where I originate from you were almost always certain to get a "pull" from the police for having defective lights.

I just don't know what can be done about it if the police don't enforce it. I know I'll probably get some stick for alluding to this but never mind.

I'm glad it's not just me banging on about this stuff.[disgust]

Gronnuck
30-Jan-11, 00:03
Any Caithnessian with extensive driving experience will tell you the nearside headlight points downward for the dips in the road and the road edge; while the offside headlight points skyward to see the hills and any vampires when they drive home through Portgower,;).

thejudd
30-Jan-11, 02:31
I do quite a bit of night time driving between wick and thurso and always find a few cars that blind me, but what really gets to me is the drivers that put their full beams on when behind you even though they can clearly see your back lights and must think they are far enough away not to blind you. I do flip the the rearview mirror to stop them dazzling but with the twists and turns of the road when they come up behind you they still blind you when it beams hit your side mirrors

EDDIE
30-Jan-11, 09:14
I do quite a bit of night time driving between wick and thurso and always find a few cars that blind me, but what really gets to me is the drivers that put their full beams on when behind you even though they can clearly see your back lights and must think they are far enough away not to blind you. I do flip the the rearview mirror to stop them dazzling but with the twists and turns of the road when they come up behind you they still blind you when it beams hit your side mirrors
Well your not supposed to but if someone is deliberlty dazzling you put on your rear fog light for a couple of secs and dazzle back sometimes when you put your rear fog light on they get the message and go back to dip beam and if there on dip beam they will flash there main beam so you no its not there fault and failing that slow the car down and let them past ifs bothering you that much but as mentioned at the start of thread a lot of cars you can adjust the headlight beam by a switch in the car thats probably the reason

sids
30-Jan-11, 09:44
Well your not supposed to but if someone is deliberlty dazzling you put on your rear fog light for a couple of secs

Or try to angle the rear view mirror straight back so they dazzle themselves.

Leanne
30-Jan-11, 11:19
So why didnt you flip your rear view mirror up so u wont get dazzled (A lot of rear view mirrors have we knob on so u can move the mirror to the ant dazzle bit)

This used to help but now I drive a landrover I get blinded through both of the side mirrors :( I slow down, let them overtake and give them a taste of their own medicine for a couple of seconds - with safari spots I can imagine that it isn't pleasant... Not prolonged, just enough to show them the error of their ways by experience ;)

Ricco
30-Jan-11, 11:25
:eek: Is it just me but when I'm driving at night I seem to be blinded by the badly adjusted headlights of cars coming towards me. It seems like at least one in three cars need their dipped beams adjusting. I always thought that this was part of the MOT test. :eek:

I heartily agree with Aestus57. Badly adjusted headlights are the ban of my driving. I actually got a warning from my last MOT that my lights were adjusted a bit low! Pardon!!? Here am I trying to make sure I am not blinding others and I get a warning about it - wot a larf! I think that police should make this their next campaign. It IS part of the MOT so surely it is a legal requirement? Come on the force - help us out here.

bekisman
30-Jan-11, 11:32
ive been blinded many times by these headlights, but then i have noticed that in caithness the trend seems to be drive with only one headlight working, even the police seem to have taken this up, i saw one not long ago with only one working headlight, or drive along and blind anyone in the road.
I have a control switch but never use it unless going up a country road.
Seems very true, as soon as you cross over the Black Isle, heading home, within minutes we'd notice the 'one headlight' prats.. "We're home" we'd mutter...

sids
30-Jan-11, 13:49
I actually got a warning from my last MOT that my lights were adjusted a bit low! Pardon!!? Here am I trying to make sure I am not blinding others and I get a warning about it - wot a larf!.

I'll explain it. If they're too low, you won't be able to see where you're going. That's not safe.

upolian
30-Jan-11, 13:52

Driving at 45-50mph while blinded is dangerous???

orkneycadian
30-Jan-11, 17:50
Badly adjusted headlights are the ban of my driving.

You got banned from driving due to badly adjusted headlights? Wow, sounds like wherever you are, the justice system in Caithness needs to take a leaf out of your place's book!

EDDIE
30-Jan-11, 18:29
I heartily agree with Aestus57. Badly adjusted headlights are the ban of my driving. I actually got a warning from my last MOT that my lights were adjusted a bit low! Pardon!!? Here am I trying to make sure I am not blinding others and I get a warning about it - wot a larf! I think that police should make this their next campaign. It IS part of the MOT so surely it is a legal requirement? Come on the force - help us out here.

How can you get a warning about your headlights there either at mot standards or there not there is no grey area a lot of mot places adjust them there and then when there checking them

sids
30-Jan-11, 18:37
How can you get a warning about your headlights there either at mot standards or there not there is no grey area

There are "Advisories."

theone
30-Jan-11, 18:45
There are "Advisories."

Advisories are for things that just passed, but may need attention in the future.

Worn/corroded brake discs are an example.

Headlight alignment, as Eddie says, is pass or fail. I can't see how an advisory could be issued on them.

EDDIE
30-Jan-11, 19:40
Advisories are for things that just passed, but may need attention in the future.

Worn/corroded brake discs are an example.

Headlight alignment, as Eddie says, is pass or fail. I can't see how an advisory could be issued on them.

The other thing as well you have to watch for as advisorie= Hey mister customer this needs doing in the next 3 months it cost £300 do u want me to go ahead and do it my point being does it really need doing or is it just a money spinner for any garage the real profit is in after mot work and after service work not so much profit in the actual doing of a service or an mot thats were the advisorie comments come in to make money?

ducati
30-Jan-11, 19:46
If I'm ever blinded from behind in the mirror I screech to a halt. Better safe than sorry!

Kodiak
30-Jan-11, 20:03

I just love my car. If this happens to me while driving. My mirror darkens and this along with tinted rear window means that I do not get blinded by inconciderate drivers who leave their lights on high beam. :D

Ricanna
30-Jan-11, 20:12
The blue halogen headlights are far worse in my opinion, correctly aligned or not.