PDA

View Full Version : Banning inefficient technologies ?

David Banks
27-Jan-11, 21:05
It seems that the incandescent light bulb is on its way out, around most of the globe. Why don't governments turn their legislative powers to other, bigger projects.

Most thermal power stations lose about two-thirds of their thermal energy as waste heat. There has been "discussions" about waste heat recovery associated with the initial planning of more power stations than I can count, but nothing ever seems to happen after they get the license to build.
Some sensible countries, Sweden comes to mind, use "waste" heat for district heating - they even have booster stations on the longer "heat" pipes to keep the temperature at a usable level. And, once in a blue moon you'll find a manufacturing plant or greenhouse next door to a power station using some of the lost heat.

Then, there is the internal combustion engine in all its inefficient glory.

So, come on governments, digitus extracticus. Get on with it where it really counts.

northener
28-Jan-11, 09:00
Oooh, don't mention 'District Heating' to the good folk of Wick.

They'll have your head on a pole:Razz

northener
28-Jan-11, 09:04
The internal combution engine is one that will die an eventual death as fossil fuels run out.

But, even if technology provided us with a cheap, cleaner alternative tomorrow, it would be political suicide for any Government to begin to remove internal combustion engines off the street. We're far too selfish to go along with anything that may mean giving up our beloved cars...

theone
28-Jan-11, 09:22
Waste heat recovery is a good option but not always viable.

Most existing power stations are sited away from residential or commercial areas and would also be very difficult to retrofit.

Scientific opinion seems to favour more "big" power stations and less little ones. This is because the technologies being used to limit emmisions of greenhouse gases etc are complex and expensive. It is more feasible to install them on large stations than small. Waste heat recovery is better suited to smaller "community" power stations. There's obviously a conflict there.

As for the internal combustion engine, there's no viable alternative yet, but I would side with the conspiracy theorists and suggest that any large scale development of new technologies will be somewhat "restrained".

Gronnuck
28-Jan-11, 11:13
It seems that the incandescent light bulb is on its way out, around most of the globe. Why don't governments turn their legislative powers to other, bigger projects.
Energy saving light bulbs contain small amounts of mercury and so are only evironmentaly safer if they are disposed of appropriately at the end of their working life.

Most thermal power stations lose about two-thirds of their thermal energy as waste heat. There has been "discussions" about waste heat recovery associated with the initial planning of more power stations than I can count, but nothing ever seems to happen after they get the license to build.
Some sensible countries, Sweden comes to mind, use "waste" heat for district heating - they even have booster stations on the longer "heat" pipes to keep the temperature at a usable level. And, once in a blue moon you'll find a manufacturing plant or greenhouse next door to a power station using some of the lost heat.
'Waste heat' has been used in many European countries for many years. I can only think its hasn't been used in the UK because; (a)We don't allow power stations to be build anywhere near to residential housing. (b)It just wouldn't be 'British' to allow one group of customers to have any advantage over another group of customers.

Then, there is the internal combustion engine in all its inefficient glory.
There have been a plethora of alternative power sources for cars, electric, solar, fuel cells, gas (methane) and steam. I believe there is also a compressed air engine too. The major stumbling block appears to be the storage of the chosen fuel.
The excuse for the lack of development of these alternatives is given as the lack of demand from the public. IMO development is thwarted by the oil industry itself.

So, come on governments, digitus extracticus. Get on with it where it really counts.
I can't see anyone in any grubbiement with the drive and imagination to push forward any further development because they wouldn't want to upset their party line and jeapordise their political career. Let's face it most MPs are in politics to serve only one person - themselves.

David Banks
01-Feb-11, 02:10
Oooh, don't mention 'District Heating' to the good folk of Wick.

They'll have your head on a pole:Razz

May I take it that they had a bad experience ?